It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Belarus official: Ukraine war may push us to West

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Belarus official: Ukraine war may push us to West

LONDON (AP) — Belarus wants to strengthen its economic ties to the West and could even help it bypass Russia's ban on some Western foods by reprocessing EU products.

Belarus' Economy Minister Nikolai Snopkov made the statement in an interview with The Associated Press ahead of a Friday investment conference in London, saying that if the Ukrainian crisis continues, "it will drag Belarus to cooperate more with the Western countries."

Snopkov said in Wednesday's interview that Moscow, which has faced Western sanctions over its annexation of Crimea and support for pro-Russian insurgents in eastern Ukraine, would not object to Belarus expanding its ties with the West.

"Our colleagues and our partners from the Eurasian Economic Community" — the Moscow-dominated trade bloc — "do not mind Belarus linking together with the European partners," Snopkov said, speaking through a translator.

click link for remainder of article...

Does this make any sense to anyone else?

They are suggesting they could import European food items, process them and then ship them east -

Russia and other Eurasian Economic Community members "are ready to see Belarus processing milk, vegetables, fruits, food from the European countries and re-export it or export it to the partners in the Eurasian Economic (Community,)" he said.

Is this a way for Russia to "maintain" their sanctions on the west while bypassing them? Give the people at home the impression the sanctions are still in place while back dooring them?

Joining with the EU was one of the reasons Russia went mental over Ukraine.

Thoughts?

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Yeah looks like a face saving measure for Russia and Europe.

They will bypass Sanctions and allow Russia to buy all the cheese and wine it wants. And Europeans will be happy to look the other way and sell to .......Belarus LOL

I don't think US will be happy with this.

PS: I like your new Avatar pic, I guess you received some flak and wanted a good look, good choice, looks "modern".
edit on 13-11-2014 by WineWithIce5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: WineWithIce5
Yeah looks like a face saving measure for Russia and Europe.

They will bypass Sanctions and allow Russia to buy all the cheese and wine it wants. And Europeans will be happy to look the other way and sell to .......Belarus LOL

How is it face saving when its coming from Belarus? Its not the EU asking Belarus.

Also why is it ok for Belarus but not for Ukraine?

I don't think US will be happy with this.

I don't think the US is going to care. Not all EU countries have the same level of sanctions on Russia.

PS: I like your new Avatar pic, I guess you received some flak and wanted a good look, good choice, looks "modern".

No one has given me flak over it, at least not directly to me anyways. Slayer69 suggested an update and made it for me. I like it as well.
edit on 13-11-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
How is it face saving when its coming from Belarus? Its not the EU asking Belarus.

Also why is it ok for Belarus but not for Ukraine?

Come on Xcat

You know how this is played.

Belarus is friends with Russia, and Belarus will sell to Russia and keep 10-15 % of the top.

Communists no longer exist anywhere in the world, money talks. Anyone who thinks China is Commie, hasn't been to China.

Cuba ???

2 years ago I went to 5 star Cuban resort built for foreigners (Germans, Canadians, Russians). I though I was in Hawaii for God's sake.

Money talks

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: WineWithIce5

Fair points...

It just seems backwards given Russia's reaction to Ukraine on the same issue.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Belarus and Russia have traditionaly been very tight but, since this mess in Ukraine Belarus has not been happy. They have publcly supported maintaing Ukraines territorial integrity and have not recognised Russia's annexation of Crimea. Belarus is in a bad spot. They have long been a Russia supporter but, then so was Ukraine. Belarus now knows if it dares stray away from Russia it could be the next Ukraine. However if it were to make a move now while Russia is busy with Ukraine it might see that is its best chance to escape without having Russia do to them what they have in Georgia, Moldova and Ukraine.
edit on 13-11-2014 by MrSpad because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   
What does this say about Russia's ability to feed its people? Either they cannot produce enough food or the food can not be produced economically enough. Either way it is a bad sign for Russia.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: feldercarb
What does this say about Russia's ability to feed its people? Either they cannot produce enough food or the food can not be produced economically enough. Either way it is a bad sign for Russia.

Russia can feed its people fine.

The problem is something little more "delicate" shall we say

You see, over the past 15 years, Russians have developed taste for fine cheese, fine wines, that extra sexy Italian Perschuto

THAT is the itch Russia is trying to scratch, and it isn't something they like to talk abut LOL

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: WineWithIce5

But those are not the items Belarus would be importing then exporting to Russia. They are referring to basic staples - fruits, milk and vegetables etc.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Belarus and Russia are what is called the "Union State" (see www.soyuz.by... for more details). Belarus is extremely keen on enacting the parliamentary aspects of the Union State and each country retains its own national symbols and anthem. Despite this, there are proposed flags and anthem.

With the development of the Eurasian Union (see eurasiancommission.org...), Belarus is at risk of losing its "special" status viz-a-via Russia, but is still a central player in that evolving Union.

From a political analysis angle, it seems that Russia desires a more comprehensive post-Soviet arrangement that hold valuable potential to reassert lost diplomatic, economic, military and cultural connections. Hence, Russia and Belarus are core members of the EU as former Asian Soviet states, plus the Islamic Republic of Iran, and Turkey clamour to join the exciting free market that is developing - without the political and legal encumbrances so commonly associated with the European Union.

For example, the accession of Turkey to the European Union has been on the agenda for years and years. Catholic states such as France stymie Turkish attempts to join the European Union at every turn. So, it is no wonder that the newly assertive Turkey now wants to join a trade bloc that does not oppress its members.

As for Belarus, they have extremely close ties with Russia that it is difficult to see their ties getting much better without actual political union - something Russia is not keen on given its rather successful current model that (unlike the inadvertent negative effects of the Soviet model) is growing and developing slowly and under good control (even if there are some budgetary challenges and organisational challenges due to the difficult trade and political environment facing west).

It would truly be exiting to see Belarus join a European free trade agreement. It is something Russia has repeatedly suggested and thus-far been declined by the European Union.
edit on 13-11-2014 by Blister because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Blister

So long story short Putin is trying to back door his own sanctions via Belarus.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

So long story short Putin is trying to back door his own sanctions via Belarus.

No, I wouldn't say that. Afterall, the sanctions that have been applied to things like food can be readily substituted from elsewhere, even though there are obviously some sanctions (such as travel bans, financial trade limits) that cannot be so easily substituted.

Russia naturally wants itself and its partners, i.e. Belarus in this case, to have easy access to the European Union markets. There is nothing particularly wrong with that. One day I am sure - agreed, a very long time away probably - Russia and Belarus may very well get free trade access to the west. As Putin recently said at the Valdai International Discussion Club meeting "World Order: New Rules or a Game without Rules".

I will add that we would also have welcomed the start of a concrete dialogue between the Eurasian and European Union. Incidentally, they have almost completely refused us this as well, and it is also unclear why – what is so scary about it?

Source: wakeupfromyourslumber.com...

Here is the full video of Putin's contribution:

It is a very interesting and open discussion, especially from Putin (he seems to love these type of open discussion events).

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   

I am just trying to figure out why Belarus is able to do this and Ukraine gets invaded because of it.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Ukraine played with the pipeline deals, Belarus did not.

The two situations are not really comparable once you take that into account.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Not Ukraine, just Crimea, Putin/Russia doesn't want Ukraine, they are broke, only foolish Europe would send money to it.
Also they didn't fire 1 bullet and let the people vote, but this vote is not approved by western powers.

Crimea is just important for Russia, strategically (Naval fleet). Like in the past, America would never allow a communist country near their borders, and if they lose control near their borders they surely would take action as well.

Not that Russia likes that Ukraine would be a part of the EU/NATO (nato was founded to take action against Russia) of course.
Like in Poland where they are building an US (nuclear)missile defense complex, Ukraine would be another US missile defense complex (for example), surely..

Basicly Russia is fighting for their freedom imo. And nobody in Europe let alone in the US (the people) cares about Ukraine, Russia got way more with Ukraine. It's just a power game, trying to control the world/world order?
edit on 14-11-2014 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: peck420

Ukraine played with the pipeline deals, Belarus did not.

The two situations are not really comparable once you take that into account.

But they are and it does not make sense.

Could it be because Russia already controls belarus is why its ok?

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Plugin

By invading crimea they invaded Ukraine.

they are continuing to send forces across the border into East and South Ukraine.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Yahoo again?
I will wait for better sources as Yahoo was the one source that had spread that Fake Syrian Boy Hero video.
edit on 14-11-2014 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   

they are continuing to send forces across the border into East and South Ukraine.

Still waiting for actual evidence of Russians marching through and actual evidence not posts by kiev post or fake stop or NATO sources.

I mean actual proof...

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Agent_USA_Supporter

Still waiting for actual evidence of Russians marching through and actual evidence not posts by kiev post or fake stop or NATO sources.

And yet you used Kyiv Post as a source in one of your threads.

Pot Meet Kettle.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join