It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interstellar

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: skyblueworld
This movie blew me away, I don't care about Science fact, we have none yet do we, they're all theories imo.

It's not the science fact bit.... it's the

** Major Spoilers **

omnipotent humans need Matthew McConaughey to communicate the secret of love to his daughter through library book code in order to save humanity

LOL

The last part of the movie and "twist" were just ridiculous... but because the movie was just so stupid and full of nonsense speeches and exposition, I actually thought the end was the best bit.
It was visually stunning but so full of stupid plot holes and nonsense that sadly it will never be considered a masterpiece.
They need to stop treating the audience like morons and Christopher Nolan needs a better editor or to edit better.

I LOVE deep moies that explore themes like this... this however failed in so many ways.
Still worth watching, but it's a 6.5 - 7 at best.... if this blew you away, you need to see more Sci-Fi films..
edit on 14/11/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: StarGazer77

Love it, too. A Sci-Fi movie without silly looking aliens.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: blupblup

I'll bite - please enlighten us what sci fi movies are better than Interstellar, I can't wait for your answer.

And please, no cliches like 2001, everybody saw 2001.
edit on 24-11-2014 by gigaherc because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: gigaherc

I'll bite - please enlighten us what sci fi movies are better than Interstellar, I can't wait for your answer.

Um...2001?

Well it's purely subjective, like all art and I'm obviously only giving my opinion.
For me Interstellar is similar to Prometheus, there's a lot to like about it and it's visually stunning but there is so much wrong with it that it ends up tainting the movie and leaving a bad taste in your mouth.
It's like they both wanted to be deep movies, exploring many complex themes and on a vast scale too... but then thought "actually, let's make it more accessible and Hollywood"

I'm not going to write a list of every Sci-Fi film that I think is better than Interstellar because it would be an exhaustive task.

A few though...

Los Cronos Crimines (Timecrimes)
Close Encounters of The Third Kind
Moon
Sunshine
The Fountain
Donnie Darko
Solaris
Stalker
Bladerunner

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW- DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE MOVIE:

We saw this yesterday. It felt like the movie was 4 hours long. I was squirming in my seat. However, I enjoyed the movie and found it thought-provoking, very poignant and loved the twists and turns of all the strange things that happened. I totally loved the end where Cooper heads out to find Dr. Brand. I thought he was a little bit in love with her and it was a happy, hopeful, romantic way to end the film. One problem I had was I didn't catch all of the dialog. I don't know if I am just getting old and don't hear as well as I used to or if the sound quality was lacking. Some day in the future maybe there will be subtitles to films in movie theaters besides just the foreign language films!

I think the film is worth seeing - it definitely tugged at my heart all the way through. I love a film that makes me feel something (except angry that I wasted my money on it).

Sal

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: SallieSunshine

Well, it was actually 3 hours and 20+ minutes. Including credits. Not including trailers.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Ahh...that explains it. We went to a 1pm show and there was also a 3pm show so they must have been showing it on more than 1 screen and I was not aware of it. I just assumed that it was a very slow movie.

Sal

a reply to: Lynk3

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: SallieSunshine

It was slow, but to me had more than one climax which was an unusual movie structure but necessary to kwwp interest. I wouldn't say it was a perfect movie, but I don't agree with the hate. It was decent, worth the money. Worth the IMAX if anybody experienced that.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:23 PM
link   

At the beginning of the move where Cooper visits the principal to discuss his 2 kids future in college etc. The lady tells cooper that the history books were being revised to omitt the Apollo space missions trip to the moon, and add that it was a massive propaganda attempt by the U.S. to make the CCCP drain money into attempting to top the U.S. and also send a manned mission to the moon.

I thought this was actually believable and kind of an oust by Nolan to put NASA in their place on this subject, because as you will notice Cooper does not argue back on that claim, though he argues that what his professsion as a pilot for NASA was for nothing or unappreciated by the lady.

I have looked into great detail about the Apollo missions and such, and do find it hard to believe that men landed on the moon 50 years ago. The project cost 40 billion dollars. Imagine putting that into a hoax to put fear into communist minds, and uplift US citizens morale about their safety. Totally plausible. Plus going through the Van Allen radiation belt twice (departure and return) with layers of aluminum layerd suits and such, no lead present within the craft of suits at all. And many of these astronauts lived long lives? When you get a dental xray for example they lay a thin layer of lead over your main organs. The Van Allen radiation belt is thousands of times more deadly that that short exposure. Some researchers believe that their space hull would have to have 6ft thick lead walls to survive the radiation. Imagine sending that into space!

Either way, I thought it was a great movie and really evoked a lot of emotion out of me, having a son myself. The thought of spending an hour on a planet and 7 years passing on Earth, that is insane, and Cooper portrayed that feeling perfectly to how important losing years away from his children was dire to the quickness of the mission. Just one aspect of the movie I really enjoyed. I found it odd how he seemed to not really care about his son and grandson much after they were the only ones to send messages, it seemed his whole mission was to se Murphey again (daughter), but it makes sense as she was more important in the end.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: blupblup

originally posted by: gigaherc

Um...2001?

Well it's purely subjective, like all art and I'm obviously only giving my opinion.
For me Interstellar is similar to Prometheus, there's a lot to like about it and it's visually stunning but there is so much wrong with it that it ends up tainting the movie and leaving a bad taste in your mouth.
It's like they both wanted to be deep movies, exploring many complex themes and on a vast scale too... but then thought "actually, let's make it more accessible and Hollywood"

I'm not going to write a list of every Sci-Fi film that I think is better than Interstellar because it would be an exhaustive task.

A few though...

Los Cronos Crimines (Timecrimes)
Close Encounters of The Third Kind
Moon
Sunshine
The Fountain
Donnie Darko
Solaris
Stalker
Bladerunner

I'll add a few, as I like a lot of the movies mentioned by blupblup, I wasn't a big fan of Sunshine and The Fountain was meh but had good aspects. Though I like Interstellar mostly for the acting and emotional attachment Nolan evokes from the actors and the script over the actual plot itself.

The Matrix
12 Monkeys
Brazil
Dr. Strangelove: Or blah blah bomb
Star Wars Trilogy (Empire was my favorite)
Alien/s
District 9 (social aspect)
I like Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy a lot and the books, but the movie I wouldn't say is better. Funny/good though
Lord of the Rings movie extravaganza (Return of the King the best)
Cowboy Bebop (awesome)

Drawing a blank but there are several more, The Dark Knight was better. I was more blown away on 1st viewing of that than Interstellar. I consider Batman SciFi.

Jurassic Park

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   
This was one of the best sci-fi movies I have ever seen. The one logic hole I am having a hard time wth is where the future us create the 4 or 5 dimension space for our 3-dimensional selves to communicate with us in the past.

I don't understand how that can work but it is fiction so I let the story be.

Otherwise, I thought it was a beautifully made and acted movie. Everything except that singular logic hole flowed perfectly for me. I will be watching this one a few times, though I know I will probably be doing it alone because it seems I am in the minority when it comes to liking this and understanding it.

If someone can fill in the logic hole I mentioned that would be apreciated.

I am not the sharpest tack, but I am still fairly sharp.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Fantastic movie. Truly dystopian in nature. Loved Matt Damon's cameo as Dr Mann. When he delivers the hard truth about Earth and Plan A, following it up with "We are the future" still gives me chills. Visuals were second to none. Music was spiritual. Match made in cosmos.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Watched the movie last night for the first time. I had no idea what the movie was about but just new it has something to do with space. I was very pleased with what I watched. Seriously this movie was almost 3 hours long but they could have done another hour and I wouldn't have complained. In fact I wish they had. The ending seemed to move to fast thru it without really going into more detail. It's possible it was done this way because really how do you explain timelines from different dimensions? Anyways, I really loved this movie and recommend to those who like space type movies.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

I loved the movie. A balance of visuals and intellectual challenges.

There is an apparent contradiction in the premise, however.

They claimed the worm-hole was sent. As the movie unfolds it implies that it was humanity that sent the worm-hole.

How could the worm-hole be sent if there was no worm-hole in the first place to allow humanities survival?

It doesn't add up. Correct me if I'm missing something.

edit on 26-4-2015 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Time isn't Linear....it's a bookcase.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

OK. It still seems to me a paradox. Why 'send' a worm-hole when obviously the race has survived? How did it survive in the first place with 'no one' to send a worm-hole?

"Bookcase" or linear, either way, there is a 'first event'.....

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

I was being sarcastic dude.... it makes no sense, you're right to question it.

Did you watch the trailer I posted?

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   

I did. Glad I didn't see it before I saw the movie else I'd have never gone....

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I bought the movie on blue ray like 2 weeks ago & dying to see it. A girl I know who is into conspiracies/quantum mechanics told me about it awhile after it had gone out of theaters & id been waiting for it to come out on dvd. Still haven't watched it.

She had bought a book called The Science of Interstellar, I'd be curious what those of you criticizing it would say of the book. I haven't read any of it.

For the record, I despise M. Mchonnohay & couldn't care less about science being accurate in movies.
edit on 26-4-2015 by FaceMyBook because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-4-2015 by FaceMyBook because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: FaceMyBook

The science was the least of my issues... the melodrama and ridiculous score bothered me far for.
And the exposition was probably Nolan's worst to date.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join