It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interstellar

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
(No spoilers here)

Well-known director Christopher Nolen amazes and delivers in this epic ride through the cosmos!

Matthew McConaughey plays "Cooper", a former pilot for NASA turned farmer. Blight has begin to kill off the Earth's crops and large dust storms cover the planet, creating health risks for its few survivors. Due to a bizarre gravitational anomaly inside of his own house, he is lead with the help of his daughter to a secret NASA installation, where he is then called to "traverse the cosmos" in order to preserve humanity.

His daughter, played by The Conjuring's (Mackenzie Foy) is dedicated to the world of physics, and even has issues with her teachers and classmates regarding the validity of the moon landing. Because of their love and devotion to physics, the father and daughter duo share an impeccable bond that is sure not to leave a dry eye in the theater.

The film then goes into a voyage into the solar system near Saturn, where NASA has determined that a wormhole exists, with the ability to traverse a large span of space in a very short period of time. Also along the way, they must face Gargantua, a monstrous black hole ever looming, in which the massive gravitational pull will stretch and distort time in ways unimaginable. This way, they can accomplish their mission of collecting data from survivors of the crew before them, and save planet Earth and humanity. However, this type of interdimensional travel comes with a price: for each minute on these far away worlds, 7 years passes by on Earth. Will they ever see their loved ones again?

Parallel with the mysteries of space and time is the human drama, which is so intricate in the movie that it is almost character itself. A day later after watching it, and it is still pulling at my heartstrings....

Nolan does not disappoint, especially for any lover of the mysteries of the cosmos. The mind bending concepts of relativity, event horizons, and singularities will leave you with your breath taken, leaving plenty of room for water-cooler discussion. Actual physicists were consulted for the concept and imagery giving you close to accurate portrayals of wormholes, black holes, planets with colossal tidal waves, five-dimensional space, and a deeper understanding of how time is relative to space.

Interstellar is a must see film about human survival, human bonding, and about distortion of space-time continuum.

A true- cosmic ride!

"Do not go gentle into that good night...rage, rage against the dying of the light." -Dylan Thomas

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I loved it, too. Glad to see a film that combines the big questions with science fiction. Seems like that's a genre that's rare these days. One does have to suspend disbelief a bit as there are some obvious logic holes, but keep focused on the big questions the film raises and it's great. Somewhat sad and melancholy, but life has these moments and art is a reflection of life. A must see, definitely.
edit on 10-11-2014 by Chronon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chronon
I loved it, too. Glad to see a film that combines the big questions with science fiction. Seems like that's a genre that's rare these days. One does have to suspend disbelief a bit as there are some obvious logic holes, but keep focused on the big questions the film raises and it's great. Somewhat sad and melancholy, but life has these moments and art is a reflection of life. A must see, definitely.

Absolutely agreed!!'

Yes, I did notice the minor areas of total disbelief. But as you stated, overall it was fantastic!

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Thinking about seeing it at the Imax this week.
Thanks for the nudge.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: nfflhome
Thinking about seeing it at the Imax this week.
Thanks for the nudge.

I think I will be watching this again, and this time in IMAX also.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Without giving the movie away too much, I'm interested in also discussing some of the movie's concepts, such as a wormhole being near Saturn.

Is this possible?

Also, I was totally turned on by the space-time continuum. For example, if I go to edge of our solar system and then return, will 30 years have only passed or many more since I am traveling faster than the Earth is moving?

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
This film was a huge let down for me personally. Most of the science was way off the mark, and the ending was just terrible. Go and read the Hyperion cantos, rendezvous with rama, dune (or countless other great works of science fiction) if you want to see what real imagination looks like. This movie has actually done a disservice to the universe we live in...

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atzil321
This film was a huge let down for me personally. Most of the science was way off the mark, and the ending was just terrible. Go and read the Hyperion cantos, rendezvous with rama, dune (or countless other great works of science fiction) if you want to see what real imagination looks like. This movie has actually done a disservice to the universe we live in...

I hate that you did not enjoy it as much as I did...

Some have been saying that Nolan wanted to focus more on the human element of love and survival...also, no one really knows the science of the inside of wormhole or black hole, so in a way, Nolan was free to make it as fantastical as he saw fit.

I keep reading about the comparison to Space Odesssy 2001, and now I'm gonna have to go to Netfilx and watch it!!

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Atzil321

Yup, a science fiction film did a disservice to a non-fiction universe. Once the wormhole showed up near Saturn, I stopped caring about what wasn't actually scientifically correct. The movie basically dwelled in quantum physics theories, which was beautiful in my opinion. The foreshadowing and the end tying it all together was top notch. I honestly didn't expect the signs to be less supernatural than they appeared to be, as things like that happen to me, and i'm pretty sure i'm not in a black hole.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Beautiful movie! I love movies like this that really tangle your brain up. Great performance by mcconaughey, had me tearing up at one point.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: StarGazer77

i just saw it myself and absolutely loved it...9 out of 10 for me. oddly i just read a review about 15 mins before going to see it that completely trashed it so i wasn't expecting much....but it had all the right elements for me...if you are a sci fi space junkie you'll love it..if you are not you will certainly most likely still enjoy it as i mentioned it has all the right elements.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Just got back from seeing it.
I agree what a let down.
Oh and yes the Hyperion books are a much better story.
Most disappointing film this year for me.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
They need a better trailer - the one I saw made me NOT want to see it...

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I'll give it its day in court. I haven't seen a good movie in a while.
A lot of people like to talk smack about McConaughey. He has been in some bad films, but in the right role, he is a damn fine actor.
I thought his performance in "Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation" was great.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Atzil321

I agree with you. Even at an advanced age in years and with a keen interest in sci-fi movies I was shocked about the poor quality of the movie Interstellar It was far from a great movie, forget the lapses or wrong science. We in the sci-fi world are used to that (Ii.e., Star Wars etc. Many scene jumps showed evidence of lack of carrythrough and/or poor editing. And they must of hired someone cheap to do the musical score on a slim budget. Weak scenes suffered because of lack of intensity. Absence of music can make for a better movie sometimes, but in this movie more music would have helped to cover both drama and emotional side of the acting. True, we can't all have 2001, Independence Day, and Close Encounters popping out of Hollywood at every turn, but we could seriously use another great movie about now.

I've walked out of two sci-fi movies in my life. Apollo 18 and this one just as they entered the 'worm hole." Maybe it got better? But at the point at which I left, the movie and I had failed to connect and that is a very important aspect to me. I can't get over how lucky the secret NASA folks were that a farmer right there in that neighborhood had the skill and experience to come by and fly their rocket to save the world. And honestly, most American farmers live a little more upscale than those folks did.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

Lmao what? The sound quality for Interstellar was unmatched. Best production quality i've heard from a movie in a while. Every sound has its own frequency space. The mixing was perfect so the voices never interfered with the sfx and music, which other movies i've watched lacked. Coming from a music producer, i don't think they could've done a better job. And there were days were there was a lot of silence in movies. They are actors acting in a movie, not singers singing in a musical. There has to be some points in a movie where an actor should ACT and not be boosted by music to compensate for a lack of acting.

My mall's theater usually has a lot of distortion due to speakers not being of the highest quality, but man this movie was loud, yet easy on the ears. Bass was phenomenal, made me really feel like I was in the movie, in the space ships, or like the breeze was blowing on me.
edit on 01411k3 by Lynk3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   
'Interstellar' was entirely forgettable.

Now the movie I watched tonight however is a total MUST SEE.

'Citizen Four', a true life horror story starring some guy named Ed Snowden.

Prepare to be afraid. Very afraid.

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I sat and was amazed about how they
blended the music in EVERY SINGEL
important scene...

I was nearly on my way out every time...

TOTAL ABUSE OF MUSIC IN THE SCENES...

But then again the events was so toned down
they probly had to fill it with obnoxious music.

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   

I feel the same... big disappointment.
It was basically melodrama wrapped up in Sci-Fi.
It is worth watching for sure but the praise some are giving this, have they ever seen a decent Sci-Fi?

Some lovely scenes and great visuals... but ultimately a fairly average movie masquerading as an intelligent, hard sci-fi film.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
This movie blew me away, I don't care about Science fact, we have none yet do we, they're all theories imo.

Since I watched this movie I have been having the most awesome dreams, this film opened up a part of my imagination that I never knew existed. I really wish I could congratulate the Director for a fantastic job!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join