It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Wrist Cutting Demon in the Dollar Store Toy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
This odd little post on Gawker showed up in my news feed and I thought it was just bizarre enough that some of you might be interested.

Nicole Allen, a mother in Dayton, Ohio, is not too happy with her local dollar store after purchasing something that looked like an innocent toy: a pink, plastic wand in a fun, purple package.

I tracked down better pictures of it from a related Daily Mail article, and to be fair, if she paid attention, it's called "Evilstick."

After giving the toy to her sweet two-year-old daughter, the young girl promptly peeled off its foil cover, revealing a vivid image of a big-eyed, bloody-toothed demon lady slitting her wrist. Fun!

When batteries are added to this toddler nightmare maker, pressing the button illuminates the picture from behind and it's visible through the foil "mirror" so no disassembly required! It's an odd toy and you have to wonder what kind of toy designer thought this was a winner for little kids — look closely and the packaging appears to have "FOR AGES 1 & UP" printed in the top right corner.
edit on 2014-11-8 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Made in China for Americans no doubt.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

Maybe Clive Barker is designing toys for Chinese toy manufacturers

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Oh wow... yeah, that is sick. It's not for children, that's for sure! I'm not even sure its for adults... its just plain sick!

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Not even clive barker would design that!

+6 more 
posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
One dollar is a good value - that's at least five bucks worth of evil.

Seriously, though ... Don't buy your children any toys made in China and sold at the dollar store. Their track record for safety (lead), among other issues, is appalling.

Second, don't buy your child anything called an "evil stick"... Even if the font is adorable.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I was thinking this was one of those prank things, then i saw the video clip.

I get that it might have been an attempt at a "scary Halloween" version to make kids jump, but the image regardless, very inappropriate for kids of any age.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I guess in America we are more inclined to do what the picture portrays and then blame it on the manufacturer. If you manage to survive, you can sure their pants off!

Why would anyone buy something called an evil stick for their children and then complain when it portrays an evil image?

edit on 8-11-2014 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   

well it looks like my xmas shopping is going to start early this year.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Clive Barker? Try maybe Rob Zombie. That is more up his alley.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dimithae

Clive Barker? Try maybe Rob Zombie. That is more up his alley.

Nah if it was Rob Zombie, the girl would be a little older and wearing a bikini top.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I want one of these.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I don't have a child, but I still want one...an 'Evil Wand', not a child.
Hell, I'd pay $6.66 for one just to use to freak out kids.
edit on 8-11-2014 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   
It's called "evilstick". I wouldn't expect sunshine and flowers from something with that name. I'm tired of idiots getting what they pay for and then being pissed off about it.

That's what happened here. Nothing more and nothing less.

They paid $1.00 for a cheap Chinese evil stick. They got a $1.00 worth of cheap Chinese evil stick.

Who complains when they actually get what they pay for??

'Murica...

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Come on!

Future demon proteges need toys too!!!

All kidding aside, it's one twisted toy, I think who made this for little kids is just a very sick person.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 02:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
It's called "evilstick". I wouldn't expect sunshine and flowers from something with that name. I'm tired of idiots getting what they pay for and then being pissed off about it.

I have to completely disagree with your analysis. Nothing about the packaging except for the name indicates that the toy isn't what it seems to be. It appears to be a toy out of an anime, and in anime they often give stupid names to their weapons or wands. If I saw that toy in a store I would assume it was called an "evil stick" because that's what it was called in the anime. I would never guess that there is a hideous picture of a girl cutting her wrist hidden under that foil. The packaging also says it's suitable for ages 3 and up, which is clearly false. I doubt any parent would want their young children to be looking at that image.
edit on 9/11/2014 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 02:53 AM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

I'm by no means advocating that their marketing was used appropriately or that this was the right thing to do. I am however saying that it's a cheap Chinese $1.00 knock off and one shouldn't be surprised that it's a piece of crap or falsely advertised. I suppose that some parents would purchase the evil stick not thinking that there was anything evil to it. I, on the other hand would not have bought it regardless simply because of the name.... And probably the lead content but that is a whole other issue all together.

I bought a cheap lighter a few years back and the wrapper that had peace signs on it started peeling off. I started peeling it all the way off and there was a pic of one of those nude women (novelty lighters) underneath that sticker. I suppose when the nudes didn't sell, they repackaged them as something else. I didn't go to the news about it. I just threw it away.

I am assuming that repackaging and rebranding went on here. The piece used was probably some form of Halloween get up that they were able to repurpose. I'm not advocating that, I'm just saying I believe that's what happened.

I think this hardly calls for "outrage". I'm even a religious/spiritual person and I would not have been outraged. Creeped out? Absolutely. But not outraged. It's a $1.00. Anybody and everybody that buys from those stores (and I do on occasion) knows it's a crap shoot on whether it's actual crap or not. People take the chance because it is only a $1.00.

They bet on this and they lost. It is what it is. Kids see worse on Wile e. Coyote and Road Runner cartoons than this IMO. If they go to Walmart during Halloween, they see worse on the shelves.

Now if they can prove the music was somehow used with the image to hypnotize kids into cutting their own wrists?? Then I'd be outraged.

Again... It's a buck. The image was no more traumatizing/graphic than what you see when you go out trick or treating.

They will not be scarred from life from seeing something that is so obviously fake and the younger they are, the less they will understand what is actually going on in the picture.

The customers do always have the option of spending $5.00 in gas to take it back to the store and get their money back... But this "absolute outrage" is a tad dramatic IMO.
edit on 11/9/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Looks like someone mixed up creepy manga hentai fetish toys with the cute little girls toys.

And also....an Evilstick for a dollar?!?!? That's quite the deal. Surely it couldn't be cursed or anything....

And another also...evidently some kid on reddit that lived near that store already bought all of them.
edit on 1192014 by elijahbird because: Added info

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder
The packaging also says it's suitable for ages 3 and up, which is clearly false. I doubt any parent would want their young children to be looking at that image.

dont speak for me..
i think its hilarious and would definitely let my daughter play with it...she is 2 btw.
not a big deal....just a stupid picture....

then again, my daugher watches american horror story with me and asks for twisty

this lady freaked out cause she cant read....it says evil stick.
i guess she just goes by the pretty pink color...

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
If they go to Walmart during Halloween, they see worse on the shelves.

The image was no more traumatizing/graphic than what you see when you go out trick or treating.

They will not be scarred from life from seeing something that .

the above is all true.
this is so not a big deal...
big bertha just cant read

top topics

<<   2 >>

join