It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If there is no Afterlife...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 06:35 AM
link   
If we are to assume that the probability of an Afterlife is very slim, what motivates us to continue living? Think about it carefully. All the challenges and obstacles we overcome, all the relationships we develop, all the time invested in growing, nurturing and adapting throughout our lives would be for nothing. Who in their right mind would want to endure the stresses and trials of life if there was no chance of a life after this one?

This leads me to believe that far more people intrinsically believe in the existence of some kind of Afterlife than they would readily admit. Not necessarily Organised Religion's interpretation of an Afterlife, but some kind of existence that is beyond this physical realm.

I know this topic is very speculative, but I would appreciate input from others, listing their views on the topic and how they came to form their current opinions.

edit on 8/11/2014 by Dark Ghost because: spelling

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I have actually brought up this very topic in a thread I created a few months ago here. I completely agree with you that if there is no afterlife then there is zero value or point to this life.

If we can't learn and get better through reincarnation or some other esoteric function then why would life be set up like a classroom. I find it unlikely that life is a random walk.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   
The reason you feel their is no point if no afterlife exists is because of the system we are forced to live in

9-5 , pat on the head be a good boy and obey your masters hurry hurry X-factors on! don't worry their is some wonderful reward at the end of it all...

Life as it stands sucks and maybe you feel this because we are not living as we are meant to ... Free.

Q

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

I don't think it matters at all whether people have a belief in an afterlife...or not. There are very happy atheists who never spare a second's thought on the hereafter and they just get on with their lives. They're fine and their kids are fine.

In a biological sense, LIFE programs us to want to survive in the same way it does any other animal. You could be drowning in the middle of an ocean with zero chance of survival and you'll still fight death - it's inbuilt, hard-wired and nearly always impossible to overcome.

Most people keep going because they hope things will improve even when everything in their life is saying otherwise. It's not so much that post-death is an incentive, it's that tomorrow or next month or next year will bring better times.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   

If we are to assume that the probability of an Afterlife is very slim, what motivates us to continue living?
Because at the moment life is still a game worth playing.... in my opinion

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quantum_Squirrel
The reason you feel their is no point if no afterlife exists is because of the system we are forced to live in

9-5 , pat on the head be a good boy and obey your masters hurry hurry X-factors on! don't worry their is some wonderful reward at the end of it all...

Life as it stands sucks and maybe you feel this because we are not living as we are meant to ... Free.

But even those born into a life of ease and luxury (let's say our Masters) would only experience temporary satisfaction. There would still be no intrinsic meaning or purpose to the pleasures and luxuries they "enjoy".

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Belief in an afterlife originates in your brains survival mechanism. It is very scary to consider your "self" as having a permanent end. It is also easier to mentally recover from the loss of life if you can believe your loved ones continue on after they pass.

The reality is that there is no "point" to your individual life and never was or will be. If earth were wiped out by the sun tomorrow and all life extinguished, the Universe would continue on without us, never missing our existence. The only point to life exists in your brain, your mind, your "self". To that "self" life has meaning while you exist and that is all.

Earth and it's inhabitants are infinitely insignificant to the Universe. We could one day evolve possibly to a point where we might control the Universe and our own existence but there is no guarantee in that.

There is no objective evidence to give us any reason to believe we continue on after we die. Will the energy that is your thoughts continue after life? Sure the energy that makes up your thoughts will continue but without a brain to contain and manage them they wont exist in any meaningful coherent way and there will no longer be a means to recognize "self" without your living brain. That's like saying your the TV show you just watched continues to exist after you turn off the tube.

Enjoy the life you got. That is the one and only point to it.
edit on 8-11-2014 by Xeven because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xeven

If everything you said before this final line is true, then what exactly is the point in enjoying life?

(Or did you put that line in as a safeguard in case people realised they agreed with you and you didn't want them to feel despair?)
edit on 8/11/2014 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost

But even those born into a life of ease and luxury (let's say our Masters) would only experience temporary satisfaction. There would still be no intrinsic meaning or purpose to the pleasures and luxuries they "enjoy".

whats the alternative? no life? if no life you wouldn't be asking these questions and this debate would not happen.

I don't believe in god or the afterlife, however i do know as fact that energy is never lost, it is only transferred from one state to another.

no meaning ? life's meaning is simply to BE, life's really good at just being Life.

why does their have to be a point?

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I myself hope there is nothing after death. I find the idea of oblivion a comforting thought. However I have read a lot of research on consciousness and how it could survive physical death and wouldn't be surprised if it does indeed continue without the brain.
What I find fascinating are those who will not entertain the idea of an afterlife but have no problem believing that everything came from nothing.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   
well, just like the rest of the animal kingdom we are pre-programmed with a survival instinct.
We have just evolved to have "reasoning" if you will.
Do you think animals like dogs, cats, mice have an afterlife??

We are here and keep on keeping on because it is what is programmed in our DNA.
You afterlife beliefs and just that beliefs that were passed on to you at a very young age. Hence why they are still with you.

beliefs is what we have do what you like, you will still, no matter what press on with life ....

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I doubt there is an afterlife... I think we are just random creations riding the wave of the big bang.

However, that doesn't stop me from hoping there is an afterlife.

My motivation to continue is my family and the decent life I have built. YMMV

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   

whats the alternative? no life? if no life you wouldn't be asking these questions and this debate would not happen.

Agreed. So, why are you and I having this discussion at this exact moment in time? Is it simply chance alone that has led me to ask questions about my existence, and you feeling the need to respond?

I don't believe in god or the afterlife, however i do know as fact that energy is never lost, it is only transferred from one state to another.

How did you come to "know as a fact" that information?

no meaning ? life's meaning is simply to BE, life's really good at just being Life.

Is it really? Why does some life need to destroy other life then?

why does their have to be a point?

There doesn't. But since I have was born with a curious mind, I ask these sorts of questions. People throughout history have questioned the purpose of life in some capacity. It's not like I'm the only one...

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   

If everything you said before this final line is true, then what exactly is the point in enjoying life?

(Or did you put that line in as a safeguard in case people realised they agreed with you and you didn't want them to feel despair?)

To satisfy your "Self" that exists today. There is no universal or long term "Point". If your looking for a reason for you to exist or continue to exist, your the only one that can define that for yourself. No one else can give you that "Point" cause there really is no reason outside of self choice. Existence don't need all 7 billion of us. In fact it may not need any of us. For me I choose to embrace the life I got and try and enjoy it but it is not necessary to anyone outside of my self for me to make this choice.
edit on 8-11-2014 by Xeven because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Xeven

The reality is that there is no "point" to your individual life and never was or will be.

Wow, you've taken materialism to a new level.

Belief in an afterlife originates in your brains survival mechanism.

Why, because some atheist scientist says so?

There is no objective evidence to give us any reason to believe we continue on after we die. Will the energy that is your thoughts continue after life? Sure the energy that makes up your thoughts will continue but without a brain to contain and manage them they wont exist in any meaningful coherent way and there will no longer be a means to recognize "self" without your living brain.

I find this comment strange. You claim that "the energy" that makes up your thoughts continues after death, but
this energy can't function without a living brain. Can't you even entertain the idea that you are more than just your
physical body? That your awareness keeps going after the body dies? That this awareness may in fact be the real you?

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   

To satisfy your "Self" that exists today. There is no universal or long term "Point".

And the reason to satisfy the self that exists today would be what...to maintain my sanity?

Or am I, to put it ironically, missing the point of your post?

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger
a reply to: Xeven

The reality is that there is no "point" to your individual life and never was or will be.

Wow, you've taken materialism to a new level.

Belief in an afterlife originates in your brains survival mechanism.

Why, because some atheist scientist says so?

There is no objective evidence to give us any reason to believe we continue on after we die. Will the energy that is your thoughts continue after life? Sure the energy that makes up your thoughts will continue but without a brain to contain and manage them they wont exist in any meaningful coherent way and there will no longer be a means to recognize "self" without your living brain.

I find this comment strange. You claim that "the energy" that makes up your thoughts continues after death, but
this energy can't function without a living brain. Can't you even entertain the idea that you are more than just your
physical body? That your awareness keeps going after the body dies? That this awareness may in fact be the real you?

I can indeed entertain the idea. I just have no evidence to support it. A part of me "hopes" there is more but there is no reason to believe it.

Energy can never be created or destroyed but the energy that was your thoughts no longer exist in a coherent way. The energy is no longer a thought.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   

To satisfy your "Self" that exists today. There is no universal or long term "Point".

And the reason to satisfy the self that exists today would be what...to maintain my sanity?

Or am I, to put it ironically, missing the point of your post?

There is no reason outside of your own mind. You can either choose to care and enjoy it or not. You can choose to care for those around you or not. Your not missing the point of my post. I am just saying each of us has to define our own reasons for such things. Sanity might be one! Eating chocolate another! If I decided to just end it I could no longer make choices to enjoy things. That's another reason to like existing and attempt to continue to do so as long as my "self' wants to or until this body quits me.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Agreed. So, why are you and I having this discussion at this exact moment in time? Is it simply chance alone that has led me to ask questions about my existence, and you feeling the need to respond?

Yes chance is a massive part, but also lots and lots of external factors from environment and upbringing make you post and me reply when others would not.

How did you come to "know as a fact" that information?

Albert Einstein
“Energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be changed from one form to another.”

its called the conservation of energy ... the 2nd Law of thermodynamics. Energy in any form cannot be created or destroyed only transferred from one state to another ( and even if people manage to produce /cough 'Free energy' they will still be producing it from a state or process they are currently unaware of.. so yes this is a Scientific Fact.

Is it really? Why does some life need to destroy other life then?

Because that's what life does, call it survival of the fittest... call it the constant destruction of stars and new stars forming , everything seems to feed off everything else .. so why should our small and meager form of life be any different?

There doesn't. But since I have was born with a curious mind, I ask these sorts of questions. People throughout history have questioned the purpose of life in some capacity. It's not like I'm the only one...

Don't misconstrue this as me saying theirs no point in asking , I am just saying their may be no point to find

you MUST keep asking or answers ( if their are any) will never come

having fun with this nice chat

Q
edit on 8/11/14 by Quantum_Squirrel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Would you find it logical to make every attempt possible to extend your life, and would you consider it illogical to assume that death is a certainty, regardless of the chances that are in favour, there must always be at least, very slim, chances against.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join