It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

If there is no Afterlife...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 11:23 AM

originally posted by: Metallicus
I completely agree with you that if there is no afterlife then there is zero value or point to this life.

I don't understand this line of thinking at all. Obviously we are meant to reproduce and survive. It's apparent from looking at all life on the planet that we can discern these two essential axioms concerning life. Therefore, just because you cannot see the true purpose of evolutionary biology, doesn't mean life has 'zero value' or is pointless. In fact, it can be said that at least another purpose in life is space expansion. Why else would we have the intelligence and have endeavored and succeeded (with our so far limited technology) to leave the planet? What drives us to do so? I can think of a couple of reasons, that again I can clearly observe in nature as being basic truths to life.

If we can't learn and get better through reincarnation or some other esoteric function then why would life be set up like a classroom. I find it unlikely that life is a random walk.

And yet we do learn just by living. All living creatures learn how to live every day. But the purposes of life may not fit your spiritual/religious ideologies whatsoever. In fact, I believe there's a strong chance that our spiritual ideas about life are as crude and effective as lobotomies in understanding the true nature of the universe and why life exists.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 01:12 PM
Never understood how people say there's no point to life if there's no afterlife. In this material realm, while one may say there is nothing after, there's more than the material: there's love, family, friends, experiences... more a journey to be had in the small amount of time given. Also, it doesn't give a leeway to hurt people, animals, etc., because one might feel that there's no repercussions in a non existent afterlife if they can get away with abuses in this one.
edit on 8-11-2014 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 02:13 PM
The Tibetan Book Of the After life is something everyone should read. It not only states with certainty that there is an after life, but hat you actually become more aware. Consider the body to be a type of spiritual filter. Once released, the Soul+Consciousness can perceive the finer realms. We gain a "light body" (probably as a quantum hologram).

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 02:53 PM
a reply to: Dark Ghost

This leads me to believe that far more people intrinsically believe in the existence of some kind of Afterlife than they would readily admit.

Because you've determined for yourself that you need a certain kind of carrot - you figure everyone needs the same carrot?

Atheism isn't for cowards. No - this is not me saying that the religious are cowardly

What I am saying is that some of us reach a very interesting moment where we realize what life is, and that we are what we are. I recognize that for some this sounds like reality has just been stripped of all value. It feels sad - an existence without extra innings

The birds sound just as sweet in the morning either way. In some ways, it might make life seem more precious

A woman I know once asked me - how is it that I could still appreciate beauty if I didn't believe in God?

I didn't have an answer for her - it was like asking someone that's color blind what do they see when they see red?

Our realities are both the same - and not the same. How can one live in a world without red? I'm not sure if any amount of explanation is going bridge that gap

I have often wondered (with humor) what Buddha saw in that moment of enlightenment. I'm suspicious :-)

Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water.
After enlightenment chop wood, carry water.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 03:52 PM
I live my life and do everything I do to enjoy myself within the limited time I have on this Earth. In addition I strive to give my kids the best chance they can have to do the same.

When I am dead that's it. I have no fear of death nor do I long for some non existent afterlife.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 04:08 PM
Let's say that the people who have experienced "nde's" were just having hallucinations, the brain's way of dealing with the trauma of dying. Nearly all people claim their experience was more real than everyday life. If this is true, doesn't anyone else think that it is massively messed up that our brains would save the experience of intense euphoria, connection with all things, seeing departed loved ones, meeting our creator, just to make you feel better about death right before the lights go out permanently? Why would the brain feel the need to do this, seems like a sadistic tease to give you that experience then the brains all like just kidding theres just a black void for you.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 04:51 PM

There is an afterlife.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 06:42 PM
a reply to: ScientiaFortisDefendit

yeah, its called oblivion.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 08:02 PM
Live your life like there's no afterlife. We were born to die eventually. I think it's a way to deal with human mortality. I've come to grips with it. I'm not looking forward to dying but I'm not giving up by thinking I'll get some kind of reward after I do.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 10:56 PM
a reply to: jaws1975

Because that's not what happens. I believe there is an afterlife. What that is, I have no Earthly idea, but there's 1000s of ppl who have had NDEs out there. Their recollections are quite amazing, actually.

I'm a nurse and can tell you from experience the second someone passes, and for a few minutes after that, there's definitely an "energy" in the room.

It's very hard to put into words, but if you or someone you know has been around multiple people (not family members/friends) when they pass they know what I'm talking about.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 02:30 AM
I've never had a NDE but I've had experiences to say that I'm a 100% sure there IS an afterlife and there is God who looks out for all his creation. It doesn't matter whether you believe in an afterlife or no but what Does matter is that you live your life being loving, kind and compassionate and respect all living being.. We're all a very very big family after all !

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 03:35 AM

I have heard and read enough evidence to think that there is a rather complicated afterlife after this one, although I think the traditional Christian views oversimplify things. I am more inclined to believe in reincarnation and things like OBE's.

I have experimented with meditation and bin-aural beats and have come close to having an OBE before. You can tell because your body starts vibrating. I think there is more to the life we are living this very instant than physical aspects, too.

I started by assuming that spirituality didn't exist, and I began to see exceptions to that rule. I don't think many people actually assume spirituality is false - atheists spend time attacking religion, but that is still interacting with the idea that spirituality exists.

What happens if you assume spirituality doesn't exist? Where does creativity come from? Where does perspective come from? How are choices made? Many people don't think we get to make choices, but I definitely disagree. I think our choices are influenced by many things, but we still make them. This goes into quantum theory for me.

If you have an entity capable of making choices, that automatically sets it apart from physical objects that don't get to make choices. That is something to consider if the choice-making has its origins in something "spiritual" (really scientific, but not physical) could there be an afterlife as well?
edit on 09amSun, 09 Nov 2014 03:37:53 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 11:12 AM

"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." - Matthew 5:9

"Salt is good: but if the salt have lost his saltness, wherewith will ye season it? Have salt in yourselves, and have peace one with another." - Mark 9:50

But, even if The Afterlife didn't exist, It would still be beneficial to live this way because it would help keep peace in this life here.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 01:24 PM
It amazes me that so many people continue to buy into the afterlife as a possibility when we are shown how biological everything on this planet is, including ourselves. Not only that, but people believe that humans are the sole winners of an afterlife when we are as mammalian as 5400+ other creatures.

And at the same time, I understand that people desire it so badly that they are willing to suspend logic to believe in it.

It's true; there is no penultimate point to living in a spiritual sense, and I don't believe there's a point in general either with the eventual likelihood of humanity disappearing into the future.

The most difficult part for me, was knowing this is my only life (re-incarnation was the most difficult for me to let go of) when there are beautiful and wealthy people(and all the mixtures, that just sums it up) living fabulous lives and I'll never have any of that. What helps that is knowing I'll also never be the worst of that: people in dire 3rd world poverty, people stricken in pain/deformity, people imprisoned for life - so many alternatively terrible life situations out there as well. And I can see why those people truly do need to believe in an afterlife.

I struggle with depression on a continual basis and may one day give into it, but it's not because I know there's no afterlife. Rather, knowing this is my one existence helps keep me going forward if only to keep experiencing the simple pleasures of life(gaming especially). While it's difficult to face life and other people's weird positivity regarding success and all the usual things people live for knowing there is no point in it, it's more the state of the world and society that is what keeps me blue. Also, self pity, blah, blah blah.

When I came to understand that this was all there is, it was scary at first. With time, it became a more beautiful thing to consider my life and individual lives as this one, singular experience - even if it did not mean anything in the end. There is also the incredible freedom that comes with the knowledge that my life is truly my own and there is no supernatural being controlling or influencing that. There is no right or wrong that will give me a pretty white (or warm) seat when it's all said and done. My life is mine. Your life is yours. Etc.

And when I consider what humanity could achieve if we ALL realized there was no afterlife... If we all knew this was our one experience, oh we could advance so much more. I mean, even though the absence of eternal life means there is no ultimate point, we still have (generally) this 50+ year existence to learn and grow and experience.

And isn't that something on it's own?

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 02:37 PM
I’m tired of all the atheists claiming that everyone that believes in the afterlife does so because they need comfort.
Do you really find comfort in coming back here? The life you live might be good right now, but what if you were born into poverty and war?
Karma is a bitch, if you didn’t help people in this life, maybe you will come back later haunted by your past self?

There must be more comforting to know that you would die and don’t feel nothing at all.

Don’t know about you, but I don’t feel like an animal. Humans don’t behave logical. We do not do what is best for us; we do not act like robots with the goal of existence. I could go on and on about how messed up mankind is. From consumerism to self-realization. Why be programmed to ask these questions if there is no point to it? Maybe you are programmed with the survival skill, so you stay here to learn instead of just die and go back home.
If there is an afterlife, that would make much more sense to me.

If there is no afterlife, I can’t understand why some of us would hold on to this existence. For some of us, it’s great to be here, for others it’s not. But if you were dead you wouldn’t think about the things you missed out on anyways, and then you didn’t have to struggle either.
To die is a win win situation. Only ones that don’t think so, is the ones left behind. I think it’s meaningless to exist just for the sake of existing, when you could be fine just by being dead.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 02:39 PM
a reply to: ColeYounger

Because it's the truth.

Oh it isn't because a creationist "scientist" says so right?

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 04:09 PM

originally posted by: Dark Ghost
If we are to assume that the probability of an Afterlife is very slim, what motivates us to continue living? Think about it carefully. All the challenges and obstacles we overcome, all the relationships we develop, all the time invested in growing, nurturing and adapting throughout our lives would be for nothing. Who in their right mind would want to endure the stresses and trials of life if there was no chance of a life after this one?

This leads me to believe that far more people intrinsically believe in the existence of some kind of Afterlife than they would readily admit. Not necessarily Organised Religion's interpretation of an Afterlife, but some kind of existence that is beyond this physical realm.

I know this topic is very speculative, but I would appreciate input from others, listing their views on the topic and how they came to form their current opinions.

I think it's a very ancient question. For those who believe in an afterlife, their answers are legion. For those who do not, I think the answer has probably been similar as far back as we could imagine these things. My guess is they always say purpose comes from being alive. It comes from children, from accomplishments, from all the worthwhile things we can experience in this life. If you work hard to leave a legacy behind you then death won't be as final, since a part of you will remain for some time in your children and in your contributions to society and in all those who cherish you.

I guess we have to find a way to "live" through others: our children, our society, our descendants. It's probably the only way we can actually achieve some measure of immortality. By living through others, the passing of our physical body is not the end of us. Maybe we can strengthen this approach by embracing common bonds between us and others. We can potentially even find common bonds between ourselves and other creatures in the universe, thus achieving a immortality without bounds.

And you're right. I think in the US, at least, some 80% or 90% believe in a God. I believe at least that percentage of people globally believe in some fashion there's a God or an afterlife or a reincarnation.

What do I believe? I grew up as a christian. As a child I asked Jesus into my heart, as many other born again christians. Yet as I became a young adult, I shed my belief, as many young adults do. I became what I am today, an agnostic atheist. I think there could be a God, but without some evidence to confirm God, I can't believe it. So for years I've had to wrestle my inner demons to find calm waters without the illusory security of a guardian angel or loving God. I used to think of myself as an existentialist, but now I hate to use that label. I like philosophy, but I think philosophy suffers from the same dogma which infests religion. I'm adrift in the waters looking for a place to harbor, but weary of allegiance to its people's creed.

Sometimes I fear or wish there was an afterlife or something to nicely wrap it all up. I agree, there's a lot of suffering in the world. There're a lot of lives cut short and unspeakable things. Yet there're many good lives and times. People wouldn't live if there were no good moments. I recently read Rama II and in the course of reading it I read something which sticks with me. It was this: If you've learned and loved, you've been happy. When I contemplated this statement, I thought of many good times in my life. I realize I live because I know how good life can be and it can be even better. Still, I know life can also turn for the worse and be terrible. If my own life were to meet its end, I would at least know I've been happy. Furthermore, many people on this planet are experiencing happy moments. To them I say, in my best Spock impersonation: Live long and prosper.
edit on 9-11-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 05:33 PM
You're life continues through your children. They're your reincarnation. A chance to teach them the right ways and become a little better as a human being.

There's no proof an afterlife exsists. Not now at least or maybe never. But we are alive now so it's better to do good now and love those who are close to you. One day they will be gone and so will you. Then in a few generations you won't exsist anymore except your genes you passed down to your legacy.

I mean afterlife and reincarnation is real in a sense. 10,000 years ago your ancestor fought hard to survive and give birth to your ancestor and teach them how to survive. And thus you are here today and your ancestor is a live through you as you will be in another 10,000 years.

Teach your kids well ! And honor your parents and ancestors.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 05:04 AM
I'm trying to imagine believing that but I'm having trouble, so long ago I was a non-believer.

To me when thinking about it, it feels like it would leave the world hollow and one-dimensional.. At times I have thought that being an atheist would be such a relief, suicide, bam and it's all over if one wanted it to be.. no wheel of reincarnation, no possibility of an evil Demiurge, nothing like that.

It would also make things much, much simpler for a person like me that for the most part have no interest in the mundane but have a million questions regarding things of the spirit. I could just take a deep breathe and relax.. and then I guess the fear of death would set in. As it is now, I don't fear death.. but one life and that's it, if I really thought that was the truth I think I'd start feeling pretty claustrophobic in a sense, especially if I went from being a believer in an afterlife to finding out there was no such thing. I'm not used to that, I was at one time.. but not anymore.

Interesting question.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 11:03 AM

originally posted by: immoralist
a reply to: ScientiaFortisDefendit

yeah, its called oblivion.

Say what you will, I don't need convincing or dissuading from anyone. I have all the proof that I need.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>