It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Incredible Photos of People Living Off The Grid Who Abandoned Civilization for Life in the Wildernes

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
True Activist

When screeching city noises and demands from the 9-5 job become too much, most people can only dream of what quiet isolation in the rural countryside could be like. But French photographer Antoine Bruy turned that dream into a reality by hitchhiking across Europe from 2010 to 2013.

The artist wandered through remote mountain regions without any fixed destination or route in mind, but along the way met several individuals who had willingly abandoned hectic city life in exchange for retreat in the deep wilderness. These people sacrificed modern comforts for greater autonomy and freedom, and in result became inspiration to the inquisitive photographer.

I found this story very fascinating. I'm going to check into this a little and see whereabouts he went because I'd like to know more about the climate. Honestly I'd like to know more about the individual stories. Probably make for a great TV show.

Hey Jesse Ventura maybe you can turn this into a TV show?

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Yes they indeed sacrificed modern comforts and one which is good hygiene....if that's what living off the grid means keep my ass in the city...

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: chrismarco

Your not interested in delving deeper into the minds of the people who want to live like this and possibly learn something in the process?

The only thing you got out of that was hygiene?

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   

I'm not curious as to why they want to live as hermits or off of the grid...it's their choice...after seeing the first gentleman in the picture...yes, hygiene was the thing that stuck out the most for me...

Seeing the man with the sheep under his knee does not exactly scream off the grid...the roll of paper towels, bottle of what could be medicine and the other tubed ointments gives me the impression that although he may be off the city grid..he's going back and fourth into town to get supplies...if that's the case is he truly living off of the grid?

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   

What about their point of view, how they see culture, the reasons why they are there, what about their story?

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   

I could already guess why they chose this route,

Mental illness, loss or bad marriage, job loss, new spiritual path, on the run but not admitting it, tired of society...I guess I'm not interested in their story..I can certainly see why someone could be interested...

I would much rather know why a friend/mom and wife to a good guy dies of brain cancer despite taking care of herself..is it really all about pharmaceutical companies not coming up with a cure? What's triggers specific foods trigger cancer, why can some people smoke for ever and never get any complications...sorry to be a downer

edit on 7-11-2014 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Ahhh ok. Well I would definately find it interesting.

You never know what you can learn from people like this.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I tend to agree with some of the comments after the article. These do not look like people who chose that life. It looks like people forced into poverty for whatever reason. Granted there is a picture of a solar panel and some other modern comforts, however their faces depict nothing but sadness.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
I tend to agree with some of the comments after the article. These do not look like people who chose that life. It looks like people forced into poverty for whatever reason. Granted there is a picture of a solar panel and some other modern comforts, however their faces depict nothing but sadness.

I agree interesting observation.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   

I should not even had commented...I feel like I really pulled away from the intent of your thread...If this is something that is of interest who am I to delegitimize the intent of the thread...Sorry onequestion...feel like a douche

edit on 7-11-2014 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   

No and I actually give you more credit for admitting that.

Most people will try and talk you in circles.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Is there a link to these photos?

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Cosmology

It's in blue on the top of the op, True Activist.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Meet Mick Dodge:

National Geo

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Well, first thing, I did not really see many signs of poor hygene in those pictures. It did appear most people were clean but it was evident that they were not using the types of shampoos that we use that are damaging our hair.

Two kids were in bathtubs. The one house had floorboards that were in bad shape, but that looks like a workshop area. Just because a house does not look pristine does not mean it is unsanitary.

These people looked peaceful, not all anxious and stressed like people I know all over the place here. It looks like a pretty good life. There are ways to preserve food to make everything safe, we do not need the chemistry that is being used today. Some of the new chemistry causes health problems, the old methods our ancestors used have been around for thousands of years.

Going off grid does not mean you can't take a bath or have good hygene, it just means it is a little more complex to take a bath. I would not attempt going off grid without studying up on it and asking old people about how things were done long ago. You would need a root cellar for sure. Also a couple good guns and ammo. A couple of years to build a camp and develop the area before moving out there would be nice.

One good thing, you do not have to look forward to paying for a funeral. I would not want to do it alone either, it is best to have a partner in a venture like that.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Nice article! I agree, it's really interesting. However, if they really chose and planned to live off the grid, I think I'd say that the planning wasn't particularly all that awesome. If I were to leave all the comforts of our society, I'd rather think of a way that I didn't have to live as if I were in extreme poverty.

I cannot judge them, I don't know what they've been through and how they truly live now, but the pictures didn't make their situation seem very appealing... which is a disservice to the idea of living off the grid, IMO. I find the whole concept fascinating.

Also, a random thought... it's like they're the Muggle version of the Weasleys!

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I think you can live off the grid without going totally caveman, nothing says you can live within a reasonable distance of civilization and use civilization for any needs as long as you can go 100% without.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: signalfire

I hate to say it, because I was sooooo into the show and his life style, but he's all BS. I did a LOT of digging into that man, I promise to find links later, I'll PM them to you if you'd like. He has a car, a house, a job. He does stay in the wild occasionally, but it's mostly just for show. My old roommate, and one of my best friends, is a producer for NatGeo, and he confirmed.

On topic

I love the idea of living smilarly to this. I constantly dream of The # hitting the fan so we can go back to an older, in some respects, simpler life style. It reminds me of summers spent at my grandparents cabin in the woods. On a small lake, with only 10 other houses 6 of which were owned by other relitives. No running water, no TV, before cell phones were a normal thing. Just a radio constantly playing classical music.

One of my biggest dreams to abandon the world with my dog, girlfriend, and a handful of close friends. To move to a mountain rage, or my favorite scenario, a small island in the South Pacific. Far, far away from the awful slave world we live in now.
If only.
Thanks for posting OP, seeing other people live this way truly gives me hope.
I'm only 25, there's still time

edit on 11 8 2014 by MDpvc because: Coding

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: Cosmology

It's in blue on the top of the op, True Activist.

Thanks. I must be having some issues with my pc. when I click on it, The thread opens again.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
I think you can live off the grid without going totally caveman, nothing says you can live within a reasonable distance of civilization and use civilization for any needs as long as you can go 100% without.

That's a good middle ground to be on. Go down to city, take/earn the money it has and whatever else you need, and get back up to the country. In time, you'll have enough to where you don't have to soil yourself by touching the big city. People seem to be more in a hurry and more stressed than they used to be and they're still not getting what they need: Peace of mind. When the divide between the rich and poor becomes more pronounced, it seems that you can see the desperation in the poor more clearly. Count me out. I like money, it gets me what I need and want, but I don't like it so much that I'm willing to sacrifice my peace of mind to get it.

I feel bad for the people who are stuck with that and wish they could change it up, and I just shake my head at the people who seem to enjoy that rat race. More power to 'em. As for the people in those photos, I hope they realize that they can have a good way of life out there if they work at it. Living like that isn't easy, but it doesn't have to be stressful.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join