It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

dissociative identity disorder/multiple personality disorder

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

I think it's quite easy for something to get mislabeled by others, even in a clinician, based on how the patient talks about it. Look at my own language that I'm using. Depending on the trigger, I may regress to becoming intensely childlike or turn into a Terminator T-800. That sense of me being totally in the backseat is merely that depersonalization going to an extreme. What puts me into those states is an extreme event that basically triggers me to do what I developed probably from childhood. Depersonalization is basically a detachment of oneself from one's own body. You're no longer in your body and a part of it. You're in the backseat and what is happening to the body isn't happening to you. Inwardly, I can definitely see how someone might think that some other personality completely took over even if they maintain memory because it doesn't feel like you're in control. However, that's the depersonalization talking--not another identity.

These kind of trauma responses, however, can make an outsider view the person as no longer being the same person. My significant others who have experienced this (who also happened to be abusive dirt bags so guess how I got pushed into those states) have said that it was like I became somebody else. In other words, my behavior altered so significantly from my norm that they perceived me as a different person. Those kind of statements, if I were to tend towards the self perception of having separate personalities that I have zero control over, could have very well tipped me into thinking that I had DID.

So bad clinician? Quite possible. External observations by non-professionals feeding into it? Probably. Toss in a dash of an extra bit of madness and then you end up with the woman in the video. Btw, I would never in a million years be chatting on a webcam when my behaviors have regressed or are in the T-800 mode. It does not work that way, lol. She's off her rocker in a whole other way, imho. A woman like Bluesma described, however, I believe can absolutely exist. It'd be like having what does ail me but on steroids and all at once. I think that's very possible and she's not going to be talking on some webcam.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   

i was not diagnosed with DID.
i said that 3 times now

You've referred to DID, BPD and SPD, brought a video of someone else with DID (?) and your responses are kind of confusing to be honest. Now I'll just back out the door, bowing and gesturing…

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

i said that 3 times now

You've referred to DID, BPD and SPD, brought a video of someone else with DID (?) and your responses are kind of confusing to be honest. Now I'll just back out the door, bowing and gesturing…

S/he said that they were diagnosed with schizoid personality disorder, which is different from DID or dissociative disorder. When they said that they were diagnosed and had some symptoms, they were referencing SPD. I've taken the OP as being simply interested in the different things that the brain does to protect itself as well as questioning some of the purported presentations of it (like the lady in the video).

I don't think they meant ill but that's just me and god knows, I can be a hell of a naive doormat at times. lol

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   

My wife is MPD she was diagnosed with fractured personality disorder. All of her 36 alters are different personalities from her own core personality which we doubt is still around. All the fracturing is from different time periods in her life when she was severely abused by her step father.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   

i said that 3 times now

i have talked about DID and linked a video.
i also, (3 times) said i was NOT diagnosed DID...just interested in it

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice

Me too, lol. Its all good. And thanks for the clarity.

By the way, thats something completely different.

SCD

I'm shy, too. Is that what they are calling schism these days? Threw me for a loop.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Yep, I looked it up, too. I kind of tend towards the OP's point of view in that the way that we all deal with childhood trauma can be so radically different at times. Overall, it's why my biggest aim is to give my own children the most stable and loving home I possibly can so they have at least a chance of growing up without one of the disorders.

I think we definitely learn to be shy because of the threats we endured as children.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Me too, lol. Its all good. And thanks for the clarity.

By the way, thats something completely different.

SCD

I'm shy, too. Is that what they are calling schism these days? Threw me for a loop.

its not about being shy...i dont think thats what the article meant when it said shy away from others...at least thats how i took it...i can only speak for myself though...i am not a shy person but i dont like being around people..
i interact with people online thats about it..
im married but my wife and daughter are the only people i am ever really around.....i am around my mother sometimes but for the most part i dont deal with anyone.
i have 4 brothers and i dont really talk to them..3 of them live out of state but the other lives in the same city...i dont ever see him. never call him....
just an example and i am totally cool with it...
i prefer it that way.

before i met my wife i was alone for a long time. im talking years. never a date...nothing like that.
never wanted it or cared that i didnt have it.

i have always been totally fine(and prefer it) with being alone....my wife is one of the few exceptions....if she was any different that she is though we would not be together...im 100% sure of that.

ive always preferred my own company....im not agoraphobic. i get out of the house....we just took our daughter to the zoo. i go to stores and run errands but i try to interact with people as little as possible when i am out and about.
when i am out and having to interact with people, i get agitated(among other things) in about 3 seconds.

things most people care about make no difference to me...i cant really think of an example right now but i am sure it will come to me.

alice, i think the person in the video i linked is just bat # crazy but not in a DID sort of way....
each 'alter' seemed like the same person to me...just with a different 'attitude' if you will.

guitarplayer, is it hard to 'deal with' living with someone with DID?
did you have to work at it?

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Yep, that was my observation as well. Even with me simply being dissociative in my particular amalgam of dissociative traits would be infinitely more distinctive than what she is displaying in those videos. It's more like what Bluesma would describe--everything in my demeanor alters and it's quite pure. In a more regressive state, my posture slumps to a more shielding of the chest stance, my eyes grow very wide, my voice becomes very soft and quiet, and whole lot more including some childlike traits. It's starkly different from the way I am normally and very, very automatic and is outside of my control as I'm fully depersonalized (in the backseat). I'm not DID but they definitely looked hard and long at me for being quite possibly DID because of this particular state. Plus, if I were actually in it, I'd probably be hiding somewhere (psst--in the closet!). Not on a webcam. lol

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Overall, it's why my biggest aim is to give my own children the most stable and loving home I possibly can so they have at least a chance of growing up without one of the disorders.

Watch who you trust them with, too.

My parents trusted me to pedophiles at summer camp. Summer church camp.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit

i said that 3 times now

i have talked about DID and linked a video.
i also, (3 times) said i was NOT diagnosed DID…just interested in it

Okay, sorry I got it now. I was confused because 'schizoid' had a totally different meaning in my day. Schizoid was an insult. "Are you schizoid or what?", kind of thing. Schizophrenia meant literally split personality as in two separate people. Wondering how they could change that to something so different.

I am interested in this stuff, too. Some of my interest is along the lines of not medical but spiritual, something that hasn't come up yet. But thats a different subject.

Thanks for being patient with me.
edit on 7-11-2014 by intrptr because: additional

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   

no problem....
the definition has changed a bit as of late

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Yes it has taken a lot of understanding of what MPD is and what triggers the personalities to switch. We have been married almost 25 years. The children come out when they feel safe and there are two that are known as the enforcers they are Tiger and Egghead. They tend to be more male dominate personalities. The children range from a very young baby up to around 15 years old. When I met my wife she was mostly a composite of all the memories where the others are basically locked into what age they split off from the original personality. We have concluded that the original personality has probably gone behind the black wall. That will take some explaining. The whole group live in a big house and each one of them have their own rooms and there is a play room where the different children can play and learn from the older personalities. The black wall is in the basement. It is a self protecting mechanism of if one of the personalities becomes a threat to the rest (ie suicide) they go behind the black wall never to return again.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: guitarplayer

You should meet my mom. Theres the whiny, demanding, temper tantrum brat. The control freak, the sexbot, the scolder, and the repentant one.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Does her physical characteristics change with each personality?

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Overall, it's why my biggest aim is to give my own children the most stable and loving home I possibly can so they have at least a chance of growing up without one of the disorders.

Watch who you trust them with, too.

My parents trusted me to pedophiles at summer camp. Summer church camp.

It's okay. I'm like the Fox Mulder of parenting. Trust No One except may be those who are fully aware that I know places where they'd never be found.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: guitarplayer

To be honest I haven't checked that close. I would say yes. Her persona is night and day between them, I will look closer. Thing is I have to remember to check.

When you've known someone all your life you are "used to" her "moods" and I have had these impressions before about her but mostly just don't want to be around when the "snaps" (switches). She can be completely incorrigible.

Further, if I tried to take pictures when I was sure, she would explode.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Okay, Mulder. Just remember, these creeps seek out places they are likely to get kids alone for protracted periods. Like summer camp, for instance.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Okay, Mulder. Just remember, these creeps seek out places they are likely to get kids alone for protracted periods. Like summer camp, for instance.

My son has reached 18 years of age without ever once experiencing the dubious wonders of summer camp. Daughter is gonna make it to that, too, and then, we're golden. Wait a second...Then it's making sure that their own kids don't go to summer camp. Darn it. This is going to be a lifelong paranoia.

Sad, isn't it?

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   

not sad....its diligence
im the same way...my daughter is two and there is no way she will be doing the summer camp thing unless ole dad is in on it....since dad likes to freak out(for lack of a better term) with people a lot of the times, that leaves mom.
or, she just wont go...thats the breaks....
lots of kids the world over do just fine without ever going to a summer camp deal...

there is no way in hell that i would let that happen.

my wifes mother lives about 2 hours away...i cant stand the woman as she is the most annoying woman on the planet, but she is amazing with my daughter...talk about 100% undivided attention. she asks all the time if my daughter can come down and stay for a couple days...
my wife and i have little micro arguments about it...im just not letting it happen.

in this particular situation, its not that i don trust grandma....its just that there are too many 'what ifs' that i cant risk...

if something happened on either end i would not be able to get to my daughter immediately and that cant happen.

it is what it is....

i always find reasons though......she has 2 grandparents in town as well and does not even spend time there with just the grandparents.....
both grandparents bitch about not being able to have alone time....i really dont care though.

i always let them know if they keep on with the bitching they will have no time at all.

1 area i dont budge in is my daughter.....its my way and thats it...
people dont need to like it.....

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join