It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Member Collaborative Project: Building A Better Chat

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I like how SO got everyone excited to do this project. Clever.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

I would be happy to lend my testing abilities. My JSON skills are novice...HTML5...novice...CSS3 intermediate ..JavaScript...meh...novice to intermediate depending.

jsfiddle.net is a great testing ground for various components perhaps.

Time is my biggest issue...real life has me tied down most of the time (likewise)...nevertheless, I would be happy to help in any way I can.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   

I don't have the knowledge to be of any use with this, but I did want to say publicly how much I appreciate the incredible amount of hard work you have put into ATS SO.

I also wanted to applaud the idea of collaborative projects utilizing the skills among members of this wonderful community.

AnonyMason, Thank you.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

I'm happy to contribute, Blaine91555. ATS has been a long time favorite haunt for me, and am very stoked to give back.

Thank you for the support.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: AnonyMason

Anony...any help I can be ...I will be more than happy...vague credentials in the post above

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   
a reply to: UberL33t

This is the Github for the project that i started a couple nights ago. The code so far has been forked an modified a bit more as a proof of concept then any firm commits to the final version. I havn't got into php arrays yet, aside from the fork, and there's a few outlined items that i've been struggling to come up with solutions to.

Right now the project is in the very begining, though. I expect the code to change quite a bit as we start to dig into it deeper.

All contributions are welcome. Any code you modify or produce can be sent to me for the git commit & push, or if you have a github account I can add you to the contributors list. At some point in the future i may make a testing space that can be shared publicly, but for now that host remains with me, strictly for security purposes. I'll be talking with the server's owner about that in the coming days...

For now I'm going to get some rack time
I'll be back at it tomorrow. It's very cool to see so much enthusiasm from you guys!

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 05:11 AM
link   

An excellent initiative!

I wish that I were able to offer more than - outstanding un-official - coffee making abilities ...

Virtual excellence in Java - to all the grunts ... !!

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Quick question.

I did see that SO had clear paths on advice.

What is stopping some - ummm - ' untowards ' writing their own scripts and then subverting ?

open source is "open" yeah ?

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 06:01 AM
link   
I do not have enough replies yet to enter into a ATS chat room. So I am going to make a suggestion based on what I have seen in other places. Their needs to be 2d avatars that each person uses as their own. They need to be something small so they do not take up much room on a screen. I would suggest something in the 256x256 pixel size.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Ceeker63

current flash supports - just that .

ED: Wait- Am I to lose my current generic look-alike avvy !??

edit on 5-11-2014 by Timely because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Does it need graphical contends I'm good with graphics? Photoshop zbrush others? If needed

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Much thanks for this effort.
Maybe it can bring more interest into chat as well helping it out

Am looking into it to see if or how I can contribute.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
I think this is an awesome idea. I'm a technical dummy but I would like to see a chat that is more mobile friendly (iPad, tablets, smartphones). I may visit ATS on my PC once every 6 months, it's just nicer to be able to surf in my chair with my electric blanket.

We have some awesome members with amazing capabilities and I have no doubt they can come up with something far better than what we've had.

YES. MOBILE CHAT. THANK YOU!

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I would love to help. I'm currently studying web development so my skills are not as sharp as they can be, but i'm willing to learn as we go. Where do I sign up?

edit on 5-11-2014 by Shuye because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Timely

Right now I have control of the github repository, and have backups of the files. So in terms of the code we use for this project getting messed up, that's unlikely.

If any one who was not contributing to this project wanted to take the code and modify it to their liking, they would be able to do so. That's the way of open source code, yes. Any code submissions made for the github will be scruitinized by me first to make sure there isn't some weirdness in it. Secuirty first. If i do see something that doesn't look right that I couldn't correct or one of my proffesional friends (who have volunteered to help me as needed) think is 'untoward' err malicious some how, I wouldn't add it to the github.

Again, what people do with that code outside the scope of the project is up to them. It's provided for free as is, and can be modified by anyone.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Now that our current chat is running again, will you continue with this project?

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamschist

Most of the problems the current chat has had are the direct result of the company running it. If they can build a chat that ATS can host, then we shouldn't see the problems we've seen over the last year or so anymore.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I am hoping they will continue the project for ATS's own chat, that's why I asked. :-)
edit on 9-11-2014 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamschist

SO has said several times that if he could get a chat built like he wanted, he would drop this chat in a New York second.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Lol, so that would be a "yes" then. Great, glad to hear it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join