It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Hikes Interest Rates as Sanctions Slam Economy

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 03:20 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

You said it would hurt them. That's the part I questioned.....

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   

But you do think the economic sanctions will work and Russia will crumble?

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 03:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: tavi45

You said it would hurt them. That's the part I questioned.....

I did not say that. I said if anything, it will hurt them. Meaning if one party WAS to be hurt, it would be Russia. If Russia is unaffected then my post is accurate.

Anyone saying Russia will crumble is jumping the gun. The sanctions are definitely being felt though.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Indeed mostly by Europe
. Russia is doing just fine.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Indeed mostly by Europe

Edit:

We will see in a year
edit on 1-11-2014 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Watching your debates reminds me of watching bug fights on youtube, and you're the giant centipede. Always bet on the giant centipede.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Rubles are doing fine considering they are cheaper to be bought back with their holding of foreign reserves especially the overly inflated US dollars.

This is dedollarisation in motion.

Ultimately Russia is breaking away from USD.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 03:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: mypan
Rubles are doing fine considering they are cheaper to be bought back with their holding of foreign reserves especially the overly inflated US dollars.

do you even currency convert bro?
edit on 1-11-2014 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeadSeraph

Watching your debates reminds me of watching bug fights on youtube, and you're the giant centipede. Always bet on the giant centipede.

Off topic, but I love watching bug fights, even though I feel bad for the bugs, especially the loser.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Indeed mostly by Europe

Really? Isolated in a globalised world, no food affordable, no heat, power shortage, rusting military equipment... Yeah they're doing great, just great....

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: mypan

Really?

That’s how long the ruble rallied after policy makers surprised investors by ratcheting up the benchmark interest rate 1.5 percentage points to 9.5 percent this afternoon. After that, it was right back to declines for the world’s worst-performing currency, with losses swelling to as much as 3.6 percent against the dollar, the biggest drop in three years.

www.bloomberg.com...

Time will tell.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

I especially liked the part where he/she claimed the ruble was actually in a better position because there are now more of them required to = 1 USD.

Inflationary immmmaaaaginatiooonnn....

edit on 1-11-2014 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:12 AM
link   

No heat? They are an energy powerhouse. No food? That's fine. The Russian people are used to famine. Rusting military equipment? They have a huge nuclear armed sub fleet and an airforce doing maneuvers near North America and over Europe. They also have tons of ICBMs. Russia isn't nearly as reliant on others as the USA or Europe.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:17 AM
link   

No food? That's fine. The Russian people are used to famine.

I suppose as long as they are used to not eating they can live without food then.
edit on 1-11-2014 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:19 AM
link   

No heat? They are an energy powerhouse. No food? That's fine. The Russian people are used to famine. Rusting military equipment? They have a huge nuclear armed sub fleet and an airforce doing maneuvers near North America and over Europe. They also have tons of ICBMs. Russia isn't nearly as reliant on others as the USA or Europe.

In that case, could you explain to us all the logic that led you to believe the Russian ruble is now able to be bought up in greater numbers because it is worth less?

How exactly do you buy a currency in greater numbers that is worth less, with an equal amount of a currency that is worth more?

Russia can have all the nukes in the world. Doesn't change the facts: Sanctions are having an impact on it's economy.

It's not 1936 anymore. Economies and nations are integrated to a greater degree than they ever have been in the past. It is literally a global market. Isolationism doesn't work, economically speaking. While you are correct that Russia is an oil and gas powerhouse, it doesn't have the leverage necessary over european markets when europeans can afford to meet their energy needs elsewhere.

Russia's current energy and gas infrastructure is entirely dependent on Europe. Europe's energy and gas infrastructure is not entirely dependent on Russia.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:21 AM
link   
a reply to: tavi45
Well that's an interesting point of view "used to famine"? Do you read what you're writing? You say the people don't matter as long as their "leaders" survive. Sorry I totally disagree, kill the leaders and the people will survive. There are charming intelligent and decent Russian people, why should they have to suffer for a tiny clique that's incapable of accepting that the future lies in global cooperation?

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
a reply to: tavi45
Well that's an interesting point of view "used to famine"? Do you read what you're writing? You say the people don't matter as long as their "leaders" survive. Sorry I totally disagree, kill the leaders and the people will survive. There are charming intelligent and decent Russian people, why should they have to suffer for a tiny clique that's incapable of accepting that the future lies in global cooperation?

Well said.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Putin wants to cooperate. He tried to cooperate. You can't cooperate when one nation declares it's interests to be everyone's interests.

Why should the American people, and the Russian people and people everywhere suffer so that the American elite can be in charge?

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Putin wants to cooperate. He tried to cooperate. You can't cooperate when one nation declares it's interests to be everyone's interests.

Why should the American people, and the Russian people and people everywhere suffer so that the American elite can be in charge?

If he wanted to cooperate he would not have invaded the Ukraine, and would not still be doing so through supplying the rebels.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:32 AM
link   

When did Putin try to cooperate? When he "helped" to broker a peace deal between the Ukrainians and the separatists while continuing to send the latter weapons and aid?

Did he try to cooperate when he invaded the Crimea, and later annexed it against international law?

Did he try to cooperate in Georgia?

Putin doesn't cooperate unless it serves his own interests. He doesn't give a damn about the Russian people themselves or he wouldn't be locking homosexuals up and jailing political dissidents (or allowing either group to be openly beat in the streets in front of the international community during the sochi olympics).

Want proof Putin isn't concerned with international law and cooperation? Look no further than Alexander Litvinenko, to add to Putin's litany of human rights abuses and international law violations.

Yet people see him as some sort of Russian messiah. Why? Because the U.S is guilty of some evil #? I guess that absolves the Russians completely, doesn't it?

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join