It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Hikes Interest Rates as Sanctions Slam Economy

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

Well that's an interesting point of view "used to famine"? Do you read what you're writing? You say the people don't matter as long as their "leaders" survive.

way to put words in others mouths...

There are charming intelligent and decent Russian people, why should they have to suffer for a tiny clique that's incapable of accepting that the future lies in global cooperation?

well this is where the problem lies...there is global cooperation and then there is a world united.....

a united world where people work together for the greater good is brilliant...count me in....

global cooperation in its current form means that us slaves (as in you and me) have even less say as to what happens next...those in power care about power and money....not people just power and money ...we are a commodity to them ...

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:43 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
I'm no slave, to no one and never, I do what I want, when I want it and where I want, like everybody should. I create my own opportunities it takes a while sometimes, but if I want to I am unstoppable.
Also, sorry if that blows your mind,so behold: there are more countries having a say in global politics than just Russia and the US, souveraign states...and a lot of them 193, if you want to know the truth.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
a reply to: tavi45
Well that's an interesting point of view "used to famine"? Do you read what you're writing? You say the people don't matter as long as their "leaders" survive. Sorry I totally disagree, kill the leaders and the people will survive. There are charming intelligent and decent Russian people, why should they have to suffer for a tiny clique that's incapable of accepting that the future lies in global cooperation?

That was well said and could be said almost about any country that their citizens are forced into a war..

I heard or read before when the Berlin Wall fell there was a deal made between Russia and the States. The wall goes away and a United Germany is reborn.. Russia bit the bullet even though 25 million were supposedly killed by the Germans during WW2.. The states were suppose to curtail NATO expansion and not seek out any of the old soviet satellite states to join any NATO alliance thus leaving a buffer for the war machines.. Well that worked for a while but sure enough that agreement seems to have become null and void.. Ukraine and the Russian Navy deep water port was the last straw... Sorry no links to the deal that was supposedly done when Regan was in office and Daddy Bush pushed the deal through.. Interesting if true... Either that or the deal between Russia and China side stepping the USD.. Other countries have been invaded maybe for the same thing.. Libya come to mind .....

Sorry just speculation based on reading or hearing something from long ago.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
I'm no slave, to no one and never, I do what I want, when I want it and where I want, like everybody should. I create my own opportunities it takes a while sometimes, but if I want to I am unstoppable.
Also, sorry if that blows your mind,so behold: there are more countries having a say in global politics than just Russia and the US, souveraign states...and a lot of them 193, if you want to know the truth.

nice so you are going to try and school me now ....good one....you may think you are your own master but i am willing to wager you are not even the master of your own household....

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:54 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Wrong. The Berlin Wall fell because of a ressource price drop, kind of what's happening now again since he took over Crimea.

@hopenotfeariswhatweneed: I don't posses anything, but a little money, I don't bother with things like "household" and am totally in charge. Why so hostile? Jealous?
edit on 1-11-2014 by Peeple because: d'oh

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   

There is a lot of truth to what you are saying here. There WAS an agreement after the fall of the berlin wall, but it was largely predicated on the iron curtain that existed before the fall of the soviet union. The americans might have been opportunistic in their dealings with the Russians after the fall of communism, but to say the Russians weren't equally opportunistic or even ruthless is wishful leftist thinking.

The rise of Putin has a very interesting story behind it, one that political dissidents and Russian conspiracy theorists aren't allowed to tell.

To be fair, the west had it's own hand in current affairs. While some would argue that NATO "encroachment" of previously soviet nations is a valid excuse for Russian aggression, I don't believe that to be the case in a post-soviet world where these nations were allowed to make their own choices.

I do however feel very strongly that the U.S efforts to erect a missile shield in Europe are one of the driving forces behind the current tensions we are witnessing between the west, and Russia. The Americans claimed this was an effort to prevent Iranian missiles from hitting their allies, yet anyone could see that was a blatant lie. Obama criticized the bush administration on that issue during his initial election campaign, and then continued on with U.S plans for said missile shield once he was elected.

That, in my opinion, was a monumental foreign policy blunder, and an open act of aggression towards Russian interests, which had (up until that point) been previously respected after the demise of the Soviet Union. Enter Putin and other international crisis' involving both nations, and you have a recipe for our current problems.

Do these issues ABSOLVE Russia of it's recent decisions on the international stage? Absolutely not. Not any more than the U.S should be absolved of it's invasion of Iraq.

edit on 1-11-2014 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 05:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

@hopenotfeariswhatweneed: I don't posses anything, but a little money, I don't bother with things like "household" and am totally in charge. Why so hostile? Jealous?

sorry if i came over hostile it was not intentional....we are all slaves to the system....
edit on 1-11-2014 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 06:31 AM
link   

There are certain things I need, but I determine what the system is. If I find a better way to survive than inside the system, I'll do so, without feeling ashamed. I use what's offered, I am honest, but that doesn't mean I have to buy every crap. Sorry for not expressing my point very well, but what I am trying to say is, if it's wrong I don't participate, if I feel someone is dishonest and trying to take advantage of me, I quit my cooperation. I might make things a bit more uncomfortable for myself, but at least I can look in the mirror without feeling ashamed. I am no slave, I am the master of my universe.
edit on 1-11-2014 by Peeple because: confused

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   
There never was nor has been an agreement that prohibited / curtailed NATO's eastward expansion.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

I finally figured out who discussed the deal with Russia.. His name is Ray McGovern who was a CIA annalist and actually briefed Regan and Bush during his 35 years with the military and CIA.. Is he full of it.... you decide after you look into the guys record and writings... good story if he made it all up... I am far removed from all that stuff (thank god) so I have no inside info... Just what the man said who was supposedly in a position to know.. The deal between Bush and Gorbachev was made in Malta on December 2, where Bush said the USA would not take advantage of the Russian problems. The wall had fallen in November or three weeks before. The deal was for Russia to remove approx. 250,000 Russian troops from East Germany and the reunification of the two Germanys..

membership in NATO doubled from 12 to 24 nation states after the wall fell.
6 years ago in Bucharest A decision was made to make Ukraine part of NATO....... The CIA went to work and it looks like everything according to Ray is on plan.

I personally would not doubt anything the man says having watched some of the shenanigans governments are capable of doing both covertly and overtly.. However as in all things it is better to question than to follow blindly..

One of the first interviews I found but there are many more..

n an Oct. 1 interview with Kathleen Wells of KCAA (southern California), Ray discussed the unimpeachable evidence that the U.S. orchestrated the coup d’état in Ukraine on Feb. 22, 2014 (one regime change too many for Moscow’s leaders); what drives the U.S. and NATO regarding Ukraine; the strategic importance of Crimea and, specifically, how Russian leaders look at the threat posed by U.S. plans for ship-borne missile defense systems; the (sad) demise of the 4th Estate and the (hope-giving) rise of the 5th.
Interview goes to minute 56:20, with two chunks devoted to commercials. (These can be avoided by fast-forwarding from minute 20:45 to 25:00; and from minute 38:20 to 42:40)

youtu.be...

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Yup...

However, there was no agreement between NATO and Russia on NATO expansion eastward.

There is another story floating around where that promise was made by the German Chancellor at the time. again, Germany did not speak for NATO nor the US.

There has never been an agreement restricting NATO expansion. Any agreement would run counter to what NATO stands for.
edit on 1-11-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   

What does NATO stand for?

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 12:51 AM
link   

North Atlantic Treaty Organization.

Update -
Now We Know Why Russia Has Been Building Up Its Gold Reserves

Since September 2012 Russia has been quietly building up its gold reserves, hitting 1,149.8 tonnes last month — it's highest level since 1993. In the process the country has overtaken both Switzerland and China on its way to amassing the sixth largest gold reserve pile in the world.

This was part of a sensible strategy to diversify its foreign exchange reserves (currently $439 billion in size), which were overwhelmingly held in dollars and euros. Despite the huge increase, gold still accounted for only 9.7% of the country's total reserves as at the end of June — though recent spending by the central bank to defend the rouble is likely to have increased its share.

Russia's international reserves have fallen from $509 billion at the start of the year to $439 billion at October 24, as the central bank has bought roubles to soften the currency's decline against the dollar and the euro. This has raised concerns that, if sanctions continue and the country's reserves fall further, it could threaten the country's ability to import crucial goods and services.

Unfortunately for the government the announcement could not have been worse timed. Gold is getting crushed. It hit $1,140 per ounce on Wednesday, down by about 2.3%. At one point it got as low as $1,137, its lowest level since April 2010. Selling into a falling market would fail Investing 101.

The fact that it was raised, however, demonstrates just how nervous markets are about the country's fortunes with oil prices remaining below the $90 level required to balance the country's budget. Oil and gas revenues still account for almost half of Russia's federal budget along with 10% of the country's GDP.

Russia's Ministry of Finance is set to propose spending cuts of about 10% of the country's budget for 2015-2018. Finance minister Anton Siluanov said that although the government could dip into its reserve fund to meet its spending commitments, "reserves are not infinite, and the poor economic situation may be protracted".

edit on 6-11-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Lol. So you chose not to answer until I piped up in one of your more popular threads and you decided to be facetious at that. You sir are quite amusing

Why did you link all that info about gold? Are you trying to tell me that NATO stands for money?

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Because this thread is about Russia, interest rates and its economy and not NATO.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Sorry it's hard to keep track of all your anti Russian propaganda threads.

The last thing I asked was about what NATO stands for in response to you saying

"There has never been an agreement restricting NATO expansion. Any agreement would run counter to what NATO stands for."

So you responded to me 4 days after my question was asked and literally moments after I responded to you in another thread. You responded to the legitimate question with a facetious answer. You then posted a giant block of text. You then implied I'm derailing the thread.

So are you trying to discredit me or did you just want to revive this dead thread or something else entirely? I look forward to your response in 4 days and 2 minutes

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 04:34 AM
link   

My life does not revolve around answering your questions the moment they are posted.

If my threads were "anti Russian" and "Propoganda" then you and others would have no issues posting your resources to counter the claims made.

instead you launch personal attacks and address issues that are not a part of the OP.

So here is a suggestion -
How bout you shove the personal attacks and BS propaganda claims and actually refute the facts contained.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   

So you weren't being facetious when you ignored my question?

I don't remember attacking you personally though you sure seem combative towards me.

There are no facts to be had. The Western propaganda machine is pretty powerful. Or do you think that Western media is still independent and unbiased?

Either way I assume my questions somehow constitute further "personal attacks" so carry on with your thread.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

When the cost of food in relation to disposable income hits a rate of 40% the people tend to rise up in revolution according to data from the past. Russia is in the 30%-40% percent range right now. Can they bring this rising cost under control before the people say enough?

They handled the last few years terribly I believe.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   

There are no facts to be had. The Western propaganda machine is pretty powerful. Or do you think that Western media is still independent and unbiased?

Especially when you aren't looking for them.

And Russian propaganda has topped them many, many times over.

I am pretty sure not many people on ATS will say that.

edit on 6-11-2014 by tsurfer2000h because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join