It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you think about time travel?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   
i dont know that this is the right message board. anyways, i was thinking about time travel.
i dont think that anyone should mess w/ it, if it is ever created (if it hasnt already, which i dont believe it has). only because i believe that if someone were to do so, they could mess up the present so horribly by doing even the smallest thing.
if someone was trying to create time travel, why would they, wouldnt they see this?
basically, i just want to know if anyone else has theories, or beliefs or opinions, or whatever about what could happen if time travel was created.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I'm sure their are countless threads about this so next time use the search button.

Time Travel is possible but I think we can only go forwards, so once you leave you'd never be able to return, unless time runs in a loop and you could go so far forward you'd be "home".
Still no difference because you would be right their, and you'd see yourself (in original) going forward in time to see yourself there (confusing).

Or, if you went far enough itno space through a wormhole (100 light years) and we had developed some kind of stasis to keep us alive, then fly back normally and awaken, you would be in the future...

It's a matter of opinion about Time Travel, it's just one of those things!

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 07:59 PM
link   
It is interesting thought problem outside of the titor claim. If you believe the multiverse thing then I suppose you've opened up both forward and backward possibilities without the kill yourself and you'd disappear thing conundrum.

If you take the single universe thing then you can't go where the future has not yet happened as all evidence has time being a vector. Backward, maybe but then what about running into yourself since there is only one of you.

If you could get up to near relativistic speeds in a spaceship you could appear to be a time traveler appearing into the future from the distant past but that is simply from time dilation effects - there is only one you, you took a high speed trip and came back much later to those you left behind.... Actually, you do age slower than your terrestrial counterparts every time you fly in a plane and this has been confirmed with atomic clocks on airplanes - it's just such a minute amount however - but it is real and proven....

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 08:08 PM
link   
i want to know if i created a time machine now and went back and killed myself how it would it all work ? as i wouldnt be here now to create a time machine and therefore wouldnt be able to go back and kill myself anyway ???? im stuck in some strange loop that i cant find the answer too

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 08:14 PM
link   
welkl if you went back in time to kill your self you would still be alive cause your still alive since you created a time machine and the figure of your self is living in another time strand there for you would still be alive cause your from a diffrent time strand

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Time travel is impossible because in reality time doesn't exist.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Time Travel , Eh!

Go here for a ticket!

For Ten bucks you can't beat the price.

Ps: It looks legit , but of course it's a real long shot. So is life.

[edit on 12/10/2004 by bodebliss]

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   
First, wormholes are a theory inside a theory, we could call it specuspeculation.

Second, if we were to believe such a far fetched theory, the values involved in withholding the forces that surround all those theories, blackholes , wormholes, and all that nonsense, are enormous!

People don't realize it, the space is BIG.

Making a Dyson Sphere, or Blowing up a Star, or just Shutting a Star off, is EASY compared to going inside a wormhole (assuming it were to exist)

Mankind will be extinct LONG before 0,000001% of that is possible.

And this is considering that such absurd things exist!

All of this talk comes from Relativity and that absurd notion that space and time are the same thing.

Mathematics is a lowsy way to describe reality. Granted its our best shot for now, but it is indeed crappy.

When you get to a certain point in advanced mathematics, the calculations involved are so complex that you can basicly extract any result. Its an Axiomatic trap.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Well Time does exist if you look at your watch, and when your alarm cock goes off 6:00 in the morning waking you up. But thats only an indication that your day has started. Times a cycle, its different on all planets and its different for all animals. Its simply something that we humans made up to keep thier selfs on track, we can play with time all we want we see evidents of this in day lights saving time. Now think past all this, what really exist are "instances" or "actions" every moment of your life you are creating new "actions" which can only be done once, the exsact same way you did that with every one in the universe doing the exact same thing they did at the moment you preformed that action. Its impossible to replicate that. Just a theory i have...

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 08:33 PM
link   
What ease impossible today , tomorrow will be common place!

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by azdude1804
i believe that if someone were to do so, they could mess up the present so horribly by doing even the smallest thing.

I don�t think modern physics/mathematics rule out the possibility of time travel they actually support it. Some argue the paradoxical view and others argue for the quantum. If you go back in time and change something it will create another universe and will follow along its own line not affecting the original universe.

A Good Link

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 03:42 AM
link   
We know so little at this point.

Anything is possible!

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   
You cannot step into the same river twice.

If a Time Machine were built, i believe it could only go in the past to the point in time when it was built, and no further. In other words, you build a time machine in 2004. You can wait until 2008, and travel back to 2004, but cannot go further back. You would already know what point in space you are attempting to travel too.

Forwards in time becomes complex, space and time are intermingled. Time is how we measure the rate at which the earth is flying through space inside the solar system, which is inside the galaxy, which is inside the known Universe. I wonder if time and spatial coordinates would need to be given...if you wanted to go forward 6 hours you would need not only the time, but the actual point in relative space that you would be, at that point in time....interesting

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 09:38 PM
link   
We know so little at this point.

Anything is possible!

We are traveling in the general direction of the Virgo Cluster toward The Great Attractor at 1.3 million miles per hour.

This creates a problem in time travel where e'en if ye shall goeth into the past from whence ye are(sayeth 10 years) would you not then be in outer-space 114 billion miles from the place ye wishes to be.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 12:55 AM
link   
There is a 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%
chance time travel is possible and an even larger amount of zeros in front of the one that going in backwards time is possible, also time is relative in all universes so you couldnt travel from one point in time within universe A and then be 100 years in the future in universe B.

[edit on 12/13/2004 by iori_komei]

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 03:07 AM
link   
If there is even a .00000000000000000000000000000000000000001

Chance of time travel , faster-than-light travel, or dimensional doorway travel, humans will find it and exploit it.

That's what humans do!

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Actually most scientists agree faster than light travel is more possible than time travel. Personaly I think we'll discover FTLengines and dimensional travel within 200yrs of eachother.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I think we all need to remember that at one time it was impossible for the earth to be round. Impossible for the Sun to not orbit the earth. It was also impossible to fly, impossible to go faster than sound, etc.

The truth of the matter is, there are enough 'maybes' that might one day be exploited with respect to time travel and faster than light travel, that we should use the term 'improbable' and not 'impossible'.

Let's not forget that whole can't go faster than light thing doesn't apply at the quantum level, so who knows what happens when you roll all that up.

Osiris

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 07:45 PM
link   
You keep telling people something is impossble and of course they'll try to do it anyways.

Except institutional scientist who are afraid of being scoffed at.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Take into consideration what "time" really is.

It's widely accepted that time is just a result of the existance of matter. The concept of time travel sounds illogical with this in mind.

My guess is that time travel is impossible. But I'm a retard, so who knows.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join