It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you think about time travel?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 04:45 AM
link   
It may sound like a lot of money ... but don't forget inflation.

A century ago, the 'average' wage for a skilled manual worker in the UK was around 60 a year, now it's about 34 000 a year.

My grandparents in the 1930s took out a 25-year mortgage to buy their first house which cost around 1 000. An equivalent property now costs around 300 000.

In short, your trillions of dollars in a thousand years might just buy you a Big Mac and coke.

It's all relative.

[edit on 22-12-2004 by harrisjohns]

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 09:54 AM
link   
harrisjohns,

On the other hand it might buy me a ticket to a world where 'Eternal Health'(w/ the possibility for a very long life) is everyones reality and I would have as many chances to learn and earn as anyone of that time frame. It could be very interesting. They would w/ accelerated advancing(eg:the yr 2500 AD really = the yr 1,000,000,000 AD by our reference) of the time line be living in a world totally unrecognizable, by our standards.

Bode Bliss

posted on Dec, 25 2004 @ 01:20 AM
link   
i think that half of all of this is true and the other half is impossible. (let me explain) I do belive that at some point in "time" we will be able to go back in time...but not into the future...the past has already happend and time as every tenth of a millionth of a second passes by some stretch records itself and can be replayed if you will...sorry for the weird explanation but theres no way to make what im trying to say simple. But to go to the future where nothing has happend and "time" has not reached that far yet. I don't think we can go into the future because of this. If you have read anything about the theory's about going back in time you would know that even if we are at some point able to do this...it would not be worth it. Lets just say we go back in time 500 years from now to stop 9/11. This would litterally be possible but this would also mean an additional 3000+ people would be added to the earth (or whatever planet were on by then) this could VERY easily overpopulate the planet and kill everyone. Everything (if you belive it or not) happens for a reason and god or whoever choses who lives and dies does it for good cause. If you go back in time and bring a butterfly the wings of a butterfly flapping 500 years in the future could cause a huge vortex kind of tornado. If we do at some point make this...Please dont let another Bush be in power is all i have to say...

posted on Dec, 25 2004 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Well I hope they don't take a Moth 500 years 'cause I saw that Mothra movie. Mothra would be very dangerous if it got mad.

posted on Dec, 25 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodebliss
Well we have a long way to go here on planet Mirth.

Science is 400 years old. The universe is 12 billion years old. We have allot of catching up to do.

I guess it just depends on how quick a study one is. I believe that we will discover time travel of a sort, but I think it will simply be a lebgthy extension of human life, rather than physically getting ito a machine and checking out Captain Kirk.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Hi Cynic,

Yes, then we would be like the Elves of Middle Earth. When our sorrows are compounded by the ages we will live, whence could we go? To what haven might we flee to escape beyond trials and travails of our existence.

Maybe, they'll invent full mind erasure. Then all will appear new again. It could be a saving grace.

Bode

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Personally, I dont think that time travel is possible, though I could well be wrong. My first thought is D=rt (Distance = rate x time)... Time is a measurement, made up by living things, its not a phyical state(matter nor energy), rather it is just a way of making math more convenient for calculations, given a certain situation. And as we know, time is a variable term used by scientists to tell how long it takes for an atom to travel from one place to another.

Time cannot be reversed in my opinion, maybe under certain states it can be slowed or accelerated, probably due to a gravity field of some sort, but once that field is dropped everything would be back to normal (the object in the field could appear older or less influenced by the elements), but never able to skip from say today to back to 1949, its just not logical, though I never said it was impossible.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 07:48 PM
link   
The only plausable way for time travel I've been able to come up with is if you could travel to some plain where time doesnt exist but diferent times and places can be traveled to from there, however I dont think if such a place exists that any one or anything could get there.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I don't think the time of physics and the time that humans count with watches and clocks is the same time. Because if it were you could just go backwards(literally: just walk backwards) and be in yesterday.

No , I think there's much more to it than that.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 11:24 PM
link   
umm...i dont exactly get what your tring to say...

You can walk backwards and go back in time?
(brb lemme try it)
nope sry it didnt work...sry for being rude but that doesnt make any sense.
if it is possible we cant do it yet...and if it ever becomes possible i hope we dont use it because the end of the world if it didnt happen already probally will.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 11:47 PM
link   
The only theoretical way to go backward in time is to go faster then light. That isn't happening anytime soon btw
It may be possible to do this but I doubt it personally. You can speed time up for yourself as well all you have to do is travel a significant fraction of the speed of light to travel to the future. Getting back is a different story.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Sardion
, I dont think that travelling faster than the speed of light is the answer. Its the matter of the area that light is shining on that defines what time it is, relative to its creation (down that certain matter's line of history). Uhhh, its like this: The matter is there always, doing what its doing, whether that be a chunk of rock floating through space, or human children playing on a swing set, that matter is there. Its the constant, not not indefinite (or other way around? lol), stream of light from the sun (or any other light source) that lets us perceive what that mass is doing.
Here's an example using the children from above: The children are swinging, and reaching the maximum height of one swing (foreward or backwards, it doest matter, you choose
), even if the sun just lost all its light at that moment, those kids would still have to come down, they wont just stay suspended in air (or time) until some more light hits them... light is not some variable in the equation for relations of light and molecular time (lol thats made up)..its just a means for our brain to perceive what the matter around us is doing.. my thoughts
Another example, if you can imagine this: It takes the light of the sun about 8 seconds to hit an object on earth and reflect it to your eyes and have your brain interpret it. If you start at point A (and another person is sitting at point C and presuming its pitch-black) at the exact beginning of the 8 seconds, and walk to point B by the time your brain gets the signal, the person at point C will see you standing now at point B, not returned to point A, which would make his/her perception be some 8 seconds short of your perception (this kind of lagg is just not reality, I dont believe).
I also believe it could be possible to bend/distort space/time in some sort, which in a sense is time travel, such that you are still travelling the same speed, but you are travelling greater distances in shorter time (so in conclusion you are getting somewhere FASTER than you would without the space/time 'bend') You'd get there to see more things than you would normally, you see more history of the events taking place(look above, maybe some sort of factor in defining time?)
Again, My views, I dont say they are any better than anyone elses, let me know what you think.

*edit: Its kinda like streaming a video from the internet too; the sun is the source, and your brain is the user downloading the info. The computer will stream and parse/identify the data coming to it and give out feeds up to what it has downloaded, but even if the download is stopped (light stops shining) that does not mean that there cant be any other processes going on in the computer, does it?

more viewpoints harr

[edit on 28-12-2004 by shanerz]

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Time is an unknown. The physics community is divided about it's nature and the prospects of time travel.

Here's a link to help you form your own opinion:

www.pbs.org...

Bode Bliss

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThinkB4uSpeak
i think that half of all of this is true and the other half is impossible. (let me explain) I do belive that at some point in "time" we will be able to go back in time...but not into the future...the past has already happend and time as every tenth of a millionth of a second passes by some stretch records itself and can be replayed if you will...sorry for the weird explanation but theres no way to make what im trying to say simple. But to go to the future where nothing has happend and "time" has not reached that far yet. I don't think we can go into the future because of this. If you have read anything about the theory's about going back in time you would know that even if we are at some point able to do this...it would not be worth it. Lets just say we go back in time 500 years from now to stop 9/11. This would litterally be possible but this would also mean an additional 3000+ people would be added to the earth (or whatever planet were on by then) this could VERY easily overpopulate the planet and kill everyone. Everything (if you belive it or not) happens for a reason and god or whoever choses who lives and dies does it for good cause. If you go back in time and bring a butterfly the wings of a butterfly flapping 500 years in the future could cause a huge vortex kind of tornado. If we do at some point make this...Please dont let another Bush be in power is all i have to say...

u do have to think of fate. if u went back and saved all those people, maybe they would still die, cause their fate was to be dead at that point in time.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   
azdude,

yeah that would be funny . You go back to the day before the event and you stop the terrorists and the next day you read in the papers about a strange unexplained mass suicide at the world trade center.

Ah, you can't win!

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Here is a fun website that i found while looking up fifth dimension info..

Theory of time travel

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodebliss
azdude,

yeah that would be funny . You go back to the day before the event and you stop the terrorists and the next day you read in the papers about a strange unexplained mass suicide at the world trade center.

Ah, you can't win!

i was talking something more like what happend in the movie Time Machine.
his GF was supposed to be dead that night but he saved when he went back, but she was supposed to die, so she was killed another fate. or like Final Destination. those people were supposed to die, so fate came back and bit them in the rear.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Azdude,

Wouldn't that be like giving time or the universe consciousness?

Bode

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I think that even if Time Travel were possible, it would work in an entirely different way then what most people think.

As we live and react to the world arround us, our actions are "recorded" so to speak, that is they already occupy a part of time and space. I believe that if Time Travel were possible, it would only allow us to *view* whatever has happened, although we could not interfere with it or "override" it.

It would sort of be like a tape cassette set on record in a VCR. We couldn't go forward into the future because it has not happened, it does not currently occupy a part of time and space. Although our previous actions and history could be *rewound* and *viewed* because they have already occurred.

Sorry that I have not based my theory from a hardcore scientific background, but at least everyone can understand what I mean

lol, I know it sounds stupid
But in my opinion some of it is logical. Especially the part about not going into the future, because how is a train supposed to move forward if the tracks have not been layed yet?

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
that's pretty close to our current reality .

We have people who can remote view the past and people who can see the future. You can view your own past by just going slowly down your own timeline. You will remember more each time you do it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join