It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

La Raza Promotes Washington Post Guide On Where People Can Vote Without An ID

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: sheepslayer247

That premise is rediculous.

It's common sense that if we check the identity of anything it should be voting. Our voting process should be under massive scrutiny. My god where is the common sense?

Is it? Did you read the source and about the person that wrote it?

Levitt is a national expert in constitutional law and the law of democracy, with particular focus on election administration and redistricting. He has published in the Harvard Law Review, the Yale Law and Policy Review, the Georgetown Law Journal, the William & Mary Law Review, and the peer-reviewed Election Law Journal, among others. In the spring of 2013, he served as a visiting faculty member at the Yale Law School; in the spring of 2014, he served as a visiting faculty member at Caltech.

Levitt has been invited to testify before committees of the U.S. Senate, the U.S. Civil Rights Commission, several state legislative bodies, and both federal and state courts. His research has been cited extensively in the media and the courts, including the U.S. Supreme Court. He also maintains the website All About Redistricting, tracking the process of state and federal redistricting around the country, including litigation.

Source

What would he know, huh?

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Ja reply to: sheepslayer247

Who cares who is he is or what he study's.

It's really easy. If you can't prove your identity you don't vote.

I mean, it's not like voting matters anyway right? We only have a 17 trillion dollar budget who cares who manages it. Who cares who's chief of police, who cares who's president, they barely have any responsability anyway.

Sheeeeeesh.
edit on 10/29/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   

For me it is all about fraud actually. Until you've voted in So Cal and seen a truckload or van full of illegal immigrants with voting names like "Robert Cavenaugh" jump into a voting booth you won't know what I'm talking about...I've personally witnessed that every single election that I lived there. I've even said something about it and their response is "his name is on the registry"...

One time I even got Mad and demanded he show his ID and the poll worker said " you don't have to show your ID"

I called the police but they showed up far too late.
edit on 29-10-2014 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
Just a general comment: I have never seen anyone, anywhere, of any political persuasion suggest that we not require identification in order to vote.

Can someone point me to someone who wants to just open the doors to voting and have no registration, no poll check-in, no crossing off the precinct's roll ... just open the doors turn the machines on and have at it.

Please provide that link.

I was a tested IL judge for two major cycles. As a 'greeter',
(first in the line) all I was required by law to ask was the
person's name and address. Then I'd check the log. If they
didn't show up they'd be offered a provisional ballot.

If things got congested and slowed down to a big line,
I would request IDs to be presented because
things moved about five times faster. It was never mandated.

In light of that-- we're taking the word of anyone who may or
may not have legally registered to the roll to just state whom
the name and address was on the log; not a verification of
identity or citizenship at my end.

EDIT:: in other words, who I see on paper might not be who's
casting the vote... and I can't legally require they identify them-
selves by image. Doesn't smell too good does it?

edit on 29-10-2014 by derfreebie because: Vote early, often, and everywhere you can. They need all of ya

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: raymundoko

It's very very idiotic for people to think that it's ok to just let anyone vote however they want without any identity.

It breaks my mind. We have the largest military in the world, who's running it matter! My god

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Well, that is what he does. He's an expert in the field. Do you not like his conclusion that in-person voter fraud is about as likely as getting hit by lightening? Yet, we want to put more government control and restriction on a simple process like voting?

a reply to: raymundoko

That's funny because I know many illegals. They all have ID's and social security numbers. Even illegals can easily get an ID, so how is this going to prevent fraud?

Who will this really effect and why is it only the Republicans pushing this? (Refer back to the piece I linked earlier, in case you missed it)
edit on 10/29/2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   

I don't care what he says. The voting process is one of the most important processes in this country, it determines who runs it. If literally affects everyone on an individual level.

It's a freaking joke that you think it's ok for people to just roll in and vote without an id.

What if I steal your identity, which is a massive massive problem here and go in and vote for you?

Are you kidding me that you don't think this goes on because some guy says it doesn't? Give me a break...

There's a reason why banks and everything requires an id these days, it's because you can't trust anybody. Sit here and tell me that there's no fraud happening... What a joke. Get out of here.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

I don't care what he says. The voting process is one of the most important processes in this country, it determines who runs it. If literally affects everyone on an individual level.

It's a freaking joke that you think it's ok for people to just roll in and vote without an id.

What if I steal your identity, which is a massive massive problem here and go in and vote for you?

Are you kidding me that you don't think this goes on because some guy says it doesn't? Give me a break...

There's a reason why banks and everything requires an id these days, it's because you can't trust anybody. Sit here and tell me that there's no fraud happening... What a joke. Get out of here.

I'm no IT guru, but I worked in it as long as the County Commissioner.
I'm no lawyer, but the election judge tests on the law required to
maintain integrity of the results.
Most of all I'm no profiler, but when somebody comes in sweating in
November wearing a t-shirt and nothing something's up.
It goes on because it can... and the IL law (anyway) as written now
won't stop identity theft nor voting fraud. And the authoritarian hack
that tells you "This is cool" is the one making some big money from it.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

You think someone is going to steal an identity just so they can take my vote?

Anyway, this just isn't some guy. His credentials were posted above and not only has he done the legwork to get to the real truth of the matter, he has also exposed the fact that the Republicans know there is no voter fraud issue, but may disenfranchise legitimate voters....creating a statistical gain in their favor.

I am not necessarily opposed to showing an ID to vote, I am opposed to why it's an issue right now and opposed to the Republicans trying to play the system for votes. Just like they do with redistricting.

It's a scam, a non issue, the Republicans have people believing that all this fraud is occurring in massive numbers and they are using that outrage to push an agenda for their benefit.

So please forgive me if I don't get emotional and outraged because I will not be the neocons's little sheep.

ETA:

Sit here and tell me that there's no fraud happening... What a joke. Get out of here.

I've never said anything of the sort. Can you quote me as saying as much? I've said that is statistically so small that it in no way justifies new government mandates and laws. We're all about less government interference, right?

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: derfreebie

Thanks for your first hand information.

I see that you are not answering my request for information about "someone who wants to just open the doors to voting and have no registration, no poll check-in, no crossing off the precinct's roll ... just open the doors turn the machines on and have at it."

According to the National Conference of State Leglislatures site, specifically dealing with ID requirements State by State (NCSL) there are 19 states that

have "non-documentary" ID requirements, meaning voters must verify their identity in other ways, such as by signing an affidavit or poll book, or by providing personal information. In addition, all states have procedures for challenging voter eligibility.

The entry for IL is :

llinois
(Ill. Rev. Stat. Ch. 10.5, §4-22, 5-29, 6-66, 17-9)
VOTER
Sign an affidavit of eligibility
Provide name, and if requested, address
JUDGE
Announce name, and if requested, address
Confirm the voter is on the registration list

... and the other 19 states use similar methods to determine and confirm identity.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   

They get an ID and SS illegally, and they can't use that info to register to vote. They are given names to vote with and where to go to vote with the name.

Edit: Considering they vote Democrat you have to wonder where they get the name and location to vote. Someone already posted a video of illegal immigrants being confronted about voting with names other than their own.
edit on 29-10-2014 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   

You don't get it, do you? The right to vote is something that has been fought for for centuries...first by the colonists during the revolution, then by women, then by minorities, etc. I would argue it is at the top of the most American rights that our Constitution affords its citizens.

But what that right does is afford American citizens the right to one vote...ONE...CITIZENS. So, while my example (which is valid, BTW, but dismissed by you since she was a citizen) is perfectly appropriate for this discussion of illegal voting, it's just one example of one person choosing one way to defraud the system. And she wasn't just any person, she was an official poll worker for over a decade. That's even worse in my book.

My point to you still stands--why isn't the integrity of one of the bastions of our way of life worth asking for an ID to prove your identification? It's a simple request and one that helps remove one more way to illegally vote.

And as for your assertion that we've never talked on this site--so? My "people-like-you" comment meant exactly what it said--people like you who regurgitate garbage about conspiracies to keep the man from voting.

And I do not have to talk to my son in this way because he actually gets at 11 years old what you fail to comprehend at whatever age you are.

Oh, and your points about logic are lost on reality--evidence exists that voter fraud exists, and just like any crime, for every criminal caught, many others go free. That, sir, is just life, especially one under a justice department that fails to properly investigate...well, anything.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   
No Democrat, anywhere, is against properly identifying voters in order to vote.

Democrats are against special requirements, new IDs that are costly and/or cumbersome to get, against changing voting times and places to disadvantage certain easily recognizable demographics, and generally against the monkeying-around with the voting process in the same way that Chris Christie was pointing out in a recent speech: keeping control of the elections process.

Pick any investigation performed by any Republican administration (State or Federal) over the last 15 years. Their findings are that voter fraud, when it happens, is so rare, so tiny in regards to any scale of voting, at the level of 1 to 1 million in most cases, that there is no way, no how, that such "voter fraud" could justify the millions of dollars spent to find a handful of infractions, (from the party of "fiscal responsibility", heh) nor the additional government intrusion into people's lives requiring special IDs (from the party of "smaller government", heheh).

Liars and hypocrites.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Your identity is already vetted when you register to vote. Any other voting laws implemented just pose a hurdle aimed to lower the number of people voting.

If a voter ID law is to be implemented then free national ID cards should be provided to every voting age citizen a few months in advance to the elections and this should be done on a federal level and not up to the states.

You know, reading all these replies from people that seem outraged because someone with the name of "Jose" showed up to a voting booth is funny.

It's funny because most of the election fraud that is going on in this country is being done by Republicans and they have been caught in the act as well.

Link

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   

a reply to: muse7

Your identity is already vetted when you register to vote.

Depends who's looking and checking.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

You don't get it, do you? The right to vote is something that has been fought for for centuries...first by the colonists during the revolution, then by women, then by minorities, etc. I would argue it is at the top of the most American rights that our Constitution affords its citizens.

It is important. No doubt about it. But there is no right given to such an act in the constitution. That's left to the states to decide what rights and qualifications a voter has. But apparently you didn't know that.

why isn't the integrity of one of the bastions of our way of life worth asking for an ID to prove your identification? It's a simple request and one that helps remove one more way to illegally vote.

I never said that it wasn't worth asking for an ID. Our system, as it's designed, already requires an ID to register to vote. My problem lies with the political and agenda-driven motives of those that wish to pass further government intrusions because of a problem that doesn't exist at the level they claim.

people like you who regurgitate garbage about conspiracies to keep the man from voting.

If you were knowledgeable, you would know that I am the first to confront such asinine conspiracies and inject fact/truth in to the debate. I've done that in this debate, but it appears that the nutbag conspiracy that voter fraud is a real issue is winning the day......despite evidence to the contrary.

-evidence exists that voter fraud exists, and just like any crime, for every criminal caught, many others go free. That, sir, is just life, especially one under a justice department that fails to properly investigate...well, anything.

I never claimed anything to the contrary. What I said is that it does not exist at the level claimed by the partisan politios that wish to drive opinion of the uneducated and biased to believe that it is a widespread problem. Those that regurgitate the talking points and agenda of these people have fallen prey to outright propaganda and are trying to implement bigger government for the sake of their political ideology.

I find that to be hypocritical and contrary to a conservative, constitutional stance and I will continue to dismiss it until real facts and evidence can be presented that actually prove there is a voter fraud issue beyond the statistically rare occurrence.

ETA:

That, sir, is just life, especially one under a justice department that fails to properly investigate...well, anything.

With this statement, you have exposed yourself. You are an anti-Obama, anti-democrat person that is not interested in a logical debate. Your goal is to bash those that disagree with your ideology, without regard for facts or common sense.

It has been my "job" to expose those that lack the ability to look past the partisan politics to come to logical conclusions based on fact. I also study propaganda and can spot it a mile away. So you better step-up your game if you want to get past me.

I'm not about to let you or anyone else continue to perpetuate the agenda of those that wish to compromise our democratic process.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   

I never claimed anything to the contrary. What I said is that it does not exist at the level claimed by the partisan politios that wish to drive opinion of the uneducated and biased to believe that it is a widespread problem.

Fraud in voting on any level shouldn't be accepted. Illegals shouldn't vote period, nor dead people. People no longer have integrity or honor. I wasn't raised that way, to do things underhanded and with deceit. This is not the America I grew up in. These days anything goes, everything is accepted and the world is upside down and inside out. Good grief Charlie Brown, what happened to people? What happened to America? There is so much corruption and unacceptable behavior. Rant over.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

I never claimed anything to the contrary. What I said is that it does not exist at the level claimed by the partisan politios that wish to drive opinion of the uneducated and biased to believe that it is a widespread problem.

Fraud in voting on any level shouldn't be accepted. Illegals shouldn't vote period, nor dead people. People no longer have integrity or honor. I wasn't raised that way, to do things underhanded and with deceit. This is not the America I grew up in. These days anything goes, everything is accepted and the world is upside down and inside out. Good grief Charlie Brown, what happened to people? What happened to America? There is so much corruption and unacceptable behavior. Rant over.

But illegals aren't voting though.

See this is the stuff about the fringe that is dangerous to this country. The false narrative that has been built on the right is now taken as a fact by those that subscribe to that ideology.

15 million illegals voting is now a fact even though no evidence whatsoever exists to back up that absurd claim, the cases of in person voting fraud are so miniscule that it's not even an issue.

I think that a voter ID law would get much more support if it were done years in advance and only if these IDs were provided to everyone that is eligible to vote.
edit on 10/30/2014 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   

But illegals aren't voting though

Wait for the stories next week !!

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

But illegals aren't voting though

Wait for the stories next week !!

Well I had a fiction book next week that I was going to read...

But I guess I'll wait for your stories to get my fiction fix in

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join