It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawyer for Fort Kent nurse says she "WON'T" abide by quarantine

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom
Exactly.

Or, if you're so damned hyper you can't relax, use your time and (ahem) expertise from your horrible experience to improve the situation fir future quarantinees

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Actually, I'd like to add this:

If I was in her situation, I would go about this whole thing entirely different.

I would start a website and have live webcams put up in my home. I'd do video "updates" to entertain people. I'd also take requests from people willing to donate money to a charity for me to do "funny things". Want to see me try to learn to moon walk to Michael Jackson? Donate $50 to some good cause.

I'd call it "The Quarantine Zone" and make a parody of the Walking Dead intro for my webcasts. People love to be voyeurs -- and I could endlessly come up with hilarious things to not only occupy my time, but entertain and de-escalate the fear of people.

I'd turn this situation into something positive, fun and worthwhile. I'd have people send me their favorite movies. I'd try to arrange celebrity interviews. I'd do a reddit AMA.

I might even do a 30 minute educational video stream on the myths about Ebola, complete with my partner in Halloween make up as a victim -- showing what NOT to do around an infected person.

How hard would it be for this woman to turn the situation around, and make it into something positive that benefited other people?

This is why we can't have nice things people, nice things...
edit on 30-10-2014 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrLimpet
a reply to: Hellas

This is nothing but a big show for her. I wouldn't be surprised if her next media outing will be a restaurant. If the restaurant refuses to serve her or asks her to leave, they may very well have a law suit on their hands.

Good chance many (if not all) the patrons will leave. But, that ok, nurse will have her way. It is after all, all about her!

Think of all the media attention that will get.

Depends on the restaurant, I guess. Corporate owned like an Applebee's or TGIF, ya I guess she can sue to give them bad PR. But a family owned diner, the owner reserves the right to serve whomever he wants.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
this agenda pushing,attention seeking, self serving person is pissing me off more every day.

eta: good point spruce....fixed it.
edit on 10/30/2014 by howmuch4another because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
I don't get it.

How hard is it to stay at home for 21 days watching Netflix and eating junk food?

"But it's the principle of the thing!" people scream. "Her civil liberties are being violated!"

Okay, well...

People are scared. By going on bike rides and flaunting yourself all over town you are only making people more scared and fearful. How hard is it to take one for the team, suck it up and just do something for the greater good that would put people at ease.

I fully understand how remote the possibility is that this woman is contagious -- but humor the public, if for no other reason to keep the fear levels down. This whole Ebola thing is already over the top, and having someone riding around on a bike and flaunting a quarantine is only making the situation worse.

Pick your battles wisely, and don't go off half-cocked. This isn't the right battle to be fighting for civil liberties or personal freedom rights. Its a selfish expression, and simply ramping up paranoia and fear -- the likes of which are already to high considering the actual facts.

Stock up on some Game of Thrones DVDs, read some books. Take some hot baths and take up needle point. A few weeks stuck at home in a 1st world country is a cake walk.

.........and I'm sure it would be a paid leave, as well. So she's complaining about sitting on her arse for 21 days, eating junk food, watching Netflix while getting paid is too much for her. Where can I sign up?

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Khaleesi

Come on. She wasn't comparing having Ebola to being black. LoL! She was comparing citizen reaction/protest/civil disobedience to a perceived unjust policy.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
And how hard do you think it would be for her to be a guest on "The Talking Dead' with Chris Hardwick? They could "check in" with her opinion on the latest TWD episode since she's stuck at home.

I'm sorry, but I'd be having a blast if I was her.

She could be raising money for Ebola treatment and care in West Africa -- but instead she's flaunting herself in front of the cameras and scaring people.

If this is going to be a media circus, I'd do it on my terms -- in my own way...and raise money/awareness and have fun as well.

Good lord sometimes I feel like the smartest person on the planet. Notice I emphasized the "feel".
edit on 30-10-2014 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack

Come on. She wasn't comparing having Ebola to being black. LoL! She was comparing citizen reaction/protest/civil disobedience to a perceived unjust policy.

I respect her right to her opinion even if I disagree with her BUT YES SHE WAS COMPARING HER TO ROSA PARKS. The law Rosa Parks defied was specifically about her being BLACK. The law Kaci Hickox is defying is specifically about spreading disease.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Good LORD now we're getting all 1960's civil right-sy up in here? What?

This is beyond OK in my opinion. No one is going to beat this woman to death, or hang her from a tree. This isn't the same kind of discrimination. Being black in the south had nothing to do with public health!

Maybe she has ZERO chance of having Ebola. So what? Take one for the team, turn the situation around and use it for good. Fight to amend some of the quarantine laws from WITHIN your home. While you're stuck at home for 21 days, post on a blog -- research, contact people ... do web casts, raise money and awareness.

Good lord this is some NLBS.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

Good LORD now we're getting all 1960's civil right-sy up in here? What?

This is beyond OK in my opinion. No one is going to beat this woman to death, or hang her from a tree. This isn't the same kind of discrimination. Being black in the south had nothing to do with public health!

Maybe she has ZERO chance of having Ebola. So what? Take one for the team, turn the situation around and use it for good. Fight to amend some of the quarantine laws from WITHIN your home. While you're stuck at home for 21 days, post on a blog -- research, contact people ... do web casts, raise money and awareness.

Good lord this is some NLBS.

You realize that you and I agree right? My point exactly. Comparing her to Rosa Parks is ridiculous. Rosa could have died for what she did. Kaci, not so much unless she does have ebola.

ETA: The person that compared her to Rosa Parks is the one that is acting like Kaci is some civil rights hero, not me.
edit on 30-10-2014 by Khaleesi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
So each has an equal interest in the policy they are protesting. Parks being black protested a policy adverse to black people. Hickox, being a HCW, protested a policy she feels is adverse to HCWs. Now the cultural relevance may be incomparable but the principle of civil disobedience is the same.

In fact, if cases of Ebola increase like the WHO and CDC fear based on current rates of infection a person's Ebola status may well hold cultural relevance. It's feasible we could one day look back on Ms. Hickox's defiance in a very different light. We just might need some time and distance to see it more clearly.

And agreed, the members comment was a stretch however, let's not make it more than it was.

edit on 10/30/2014 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Bravo Mystic.

I was thinking the same thing, actually. If I had to be quarantined I'd want my computer and webcam. I'd do podcasts. I'd make youtube videos of my quarantine hijinks.

I'd stream myself playing spooky video games. I'd even "fake" blood vomit on screen, then be like "AH, GOTCHA."

I'd probably call it "The Q". But yes, I'd be in a 1st world country with access to the internet and a 21 day paid vacation.

Time to make the most epic staycation videos ever.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: howmuch4another
this agenda pushing,attention seeking, self serving lady is pissing me off more every day.

She's no lady. Ladies don't act that way.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Look. The Constitution gives states the authority to protect the public and public health and the power to pass laws to this end, which (ahem) they have. These laws happen to include quarantine when needed. These lawyers and/or the president/white hours might try to overrid states' actions for their own reasons, by, say, throwing a hissy fit or proclaiming it a security threat, or encouraging a whiny nurse, but that probably won't fly in the courts. I'd be shocked (and more than a little angry) if it did.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
Bravo Mystic.

I was thinking the same thing, actually. If I had to be quarantined I'd want my computer and webcam. I'd do podcasts. I'd make youtube videos of my quarantine hijinks.

I'd stream myself playing spooky video games. I'd even "fake" blood vomit on screen, then be like "AH, GOTCHA."

I'd probably call it "The Q". But yes, I'd be in a 1st world country with access to the internet and a 21 day paid vacation.

Time to make the most epic staycation videos ever.

Haha!

I am TOTALLY with you! Why does this woman insist on being a pain? Why does she have PLOM (poor little old me) syndrome? This is so stupid, and a wasted opportunity! I've seen the house she's got -- it looks pretty nice to me!

I'm sure she could get people donate all KINDS of free junk food, movies, a new TV, webcams, web hosting...ALL FOR FREE -- if she just changed her attitude.

Good lord, I'd be at least getting one of those new curved Ultra-HDTV's out this if I were her...

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

I am a HCW and everything she is doing goes against what we stand for. First do no harm. She could self-quarantine and quell the public fears surrounding this issue. She refuses to do so. Most HCWs will tell you the same. She is no civil rights hero in our circles. Most of us (from the comments of other HCWs I've seen around on the internet) are more than just a little disappointed with her attitude.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: howmuch4another
this agenda pushing,attention seeking, self serving lady is pissing me off more every day.

I wish I could give this 50 stars...

I get the conflict between science and individual freedom versus fear and Big Brother, and I have mixed feelings on all that myself. It sure seems like there should be an in-between that could be settled on, some sane balance point. Perhaps that's not in human nature though, especially in a time when so much is being done to divide people.

It does seem like an agenda is being pushed - hard. It seems like political theater, and it really makes me wonder about her connections (beyond just the CDC) and whether someone higher up in the administration is pulling her strings.

I think that's likely. And if that is the case, I'm not sure if the agenda is to try to prevent mandatory quarantining and isolation, or to cause such a backlash of public opinion that it can be used to justify mandatory quarantining and isolation, or something else. Maybe it's a 'heads I win, tails you lose' scenario.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I don't get it...

This woman *HAS* a lawyer? Why isn't he pushing her to start a charity and do webcasts from inside her home? He'd be making a ton more money off of her! I thought lawyers loved money?

This is so stupid. This woman could really maximize her 10 minutes of fame if she went about this the right way. Hell, it'd even be a lot more fun if she re-framed her attitude. I thought as a HCW she'd want to HELP people, not cause more panic and fear?

I can't shake my head or face palm myself enough. Anyone have one of those Picard face palm memes?

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack

In fact, if cases of Ebola increase like the WHO and CDC fear based on current rates of infection a person's Ebola status may well hold cultural relevance. It's feasible we could one day look back on Ms. Hickox's defiance in a very different light. We just might need some time and distance to see it more clearly.

And agreed, the members comment was a stretch however, let's not make it more than it was.

This right here would NOT be an issue, ever, if the HCWs and anyone else entering the US who is potentially exposed would use common sense and stay in quarantine and make sure they do not have and therefore spread Ebola here. So I have to respectfully disagree with you on that. There will be NO need for an civil disobedience if Ebola never gets loose in the populous by quarantining and eliminating exposure now while the numbers are miniscule and before it spreads here.

On the other hand I agree with just about everything else you have been posting so far

Lil

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Ooooohhhh. I'd want a human sized hamster ball.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join