It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Even More Terrifying News About Second Ebola Nurse (Their Headline)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: itswhatev

Not trying to be cavalier at all. I am reading everything I can get my hands on though. I am a proud, card carrying skeptic. I am very skeptical that one of the 3 known forms of the virus will get to true epidemic status.If there is a new form, that should get everyone's attention. It hasn't happened yet.

How long does Ebola live outside the body?
Ebola is killed with hospital-grade disinfectants (such as household bleach). Ebola on dried on surfaces such as doorknobs and countertops can survive for several hours; however, virus in body fluids (such as blood) can survive up to several days at room temperature.

Likewise, the CDC says the risk to "any around that individual on the plane would have been extremely low".

This is because the virus is not airborne like flu. Anyone on the same flight as a patient would not be at risk from breathing in the same cabin air.

And it's extremely unlikely that someone would catch Ebola from an armrest, a touch-screen television, or a tray, says Schaffner.

Instead, Ebola is spread by direct contact with contaminated body fluids such as blood, vomit, saliva and faeces. The virus can enter the body via infected droplets through broken skin or mucous membranes such as the eyes, the lining of the nose or the mouth.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Well, I see nothing but sane, logical and sensible posts on this thread.
I agree with all of you, and hoping that it doesn't descend into more political whining that I'm so sick of...
Well done ATSers!

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoRulesAllowed

originally posted by: signalfire
One of the biggest problems with this disease is that the initial symptoms look like everything else; malaise, aches, slight fever, etc. We've all seen the people in Africa walking into the quarantine centers rather than being carried. If you're still able to walk with it, obviously it doesn't hit hard at first.

We're talking about people who cared for patients who have/had a disease which is KNOWN extremely infectious, and the early symptoms (to some extent) were also known.

Short: What would YOU think if you cared for an Ebola patient...and several days afterwards you would feel sort-of unwell? Do you need a degree in rocket science to conclude it MIGHT possibly have something to do with Ebola?

Seriously, people are crying "conspiracy" but I think what's at work here is just bottomless stupidity.

PUULEEASSSHEEEE.....you care for n Ebola patient, then start to feel not well..and you go on two commercial planes ?? For god's sake, I wouldn't even go outside if I had the common flu...but logic and common sense doesn't seem to apply nowadays anymore. (Didn't even the CDC tell her it's alright to take the flights?) She was just in contact with AN EBOLA PATIENT and had the first symptoms and the CDC ok-ed it for her to fly across the country??? SERIOUSLY????

Has to come down to denial! I was protected, its not that contagious, Its just a cold, allergy, flu....NOT FREAKING EBOLA! Keep reminding myself as I see on facebook all these sheep quoting stats on the flu and blah blah, that this started with ONE patient zero!

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
I am not feeling very positive.
The more news I see, the worse it gets.
I don't think the government is being straight with us at all.

Not trying to start anything lol, but when was the last time you thought the government was being straight with us?

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: sirlancelot

originally posted by: NoRulesAllowed

originally posted by: signalfire
One of the biggest problems with this disease is that the initial symptoms look like everything else; malaise, aches, slight fever, etc. We've all seen the people in Africa walking into the quarantine centers rather than being carried. If you're still able to walk with it, obviously it doesn't hit hard at first.

We're talking about people who cared for patients who have/had a disease which is KNOWN extremely infectious, and the early symptoms (to some extent) were also known.

Short: What would YOU think if you cared for an Ebola patient...and several days afterwards you would feel sort-of unwell? Do you need a degree in rocket science to conclude it MIGHT possibly have something to do with Ebola?

Seriously, people are crying "conspiracy" but I think what's at work here is just bottomless stupidity.

PUULEEASSSHEEEE.....you care for n Ebola patient, then start to feel not well..and you go on two commercial planes ?? For god's sake, I wouldn't even go outside if I had the common flu...but logic and common sense doesn't seem to apply nowadays anymore. (Didn't even the CDC tell her it's alright to take the flights?) She was just in contact with AN EBOLA PATIENT and had the first symptoms and the CDC ok-ed it for her to fly across the country??? SERIOUSLY????

Has to come down to denial! I was protected, its not that contagious, Its just a cold, allergy, flu....NOT FREAKING EBOLA! Keep reminding myself as I see on facebook all these sheep quoting stats on the flu and blah blah, that this started with ONE patient zero!

I think you really hit on something sirlancelot. Denial is a very powerful thing. Like I said, my allergies are off the friggen charts right now, and my throat is scratchy. Logicly, I know damn well I haven't been near anyone exposed to ebola, or been on a plane. But a family is in quarantine 40 miles away from me. A little itty bitty part of me thought 'oh sh*t!'
Everybody by now knows ebola is scary and deadly, I can't imagine the thought process of someone who may have been exposed. How terrifying that would be.

Now take the knuckleheads who like you said spout the flu stats blah blah blah ('m talking the hard core ones, we have all seen them). Personally I have decided that they fall into 2 camps 1) they are the type that will never, ever allow or think anything bad about the party in charge PERIOD. or 2) people who are trying to make themselves feel better.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
This makes me think of a movie and the name has escaped me. When you become infected, you try to infect as many people as possible...

I'm sure that Duncan and Vinson clearly weren't trying to infect others, but geez! If I had been exposed, on any level, even being at the opposite end of a hospital where someone was showing symptoms, I would keep away from EVERYONE!!!
I wouldn't be hopping on planes, boarding cruises, visiting my family, etc. And I'm pretty sure that the first time I started to "feel funny", I would go get checked out immediately.

But that's me.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Hi. New here. I was wondering though if this virus might just manifest differently in more developed countries. We're healthier in general, so maybe we won't feel as sick as quickly as a less healthy person from a third world country.

I also don't understand why they are using fever as THE symptom to watch for. I was deathly ill once and had no fever. I had no idea I was sick until almost too late. I had spent months just not feeling great but had stress and other things to blame so blamed it on those. It was actually a severe bacterial infection.

Symptoms also vary by person as others have mentioned. Anyone with a family knows not everyone even in one house will have the same symptoms of a virus. A few weeks ago we had a cold in my house. I thought I was dying. I was hacking and coughing and couldn't breathe and sleepy. My 8 year had a runny nose and was still running around with her friends like it was nothing.

My own opinion is if you've been exposed and feel ill should be enough to warrant suspicion.
edit on 17-10-2014 by meomy because: Spelling

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

Likewise, the CDC says the risk to "any around that individual on the plane would have been extremely low".

Is this the same CDC that told us their protocols would be able to stop ebola from spreading in our country? Seems legit

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justaposter
a reply to: itswhatev

Exactly.

And this time of year, is ragweed season, horrible allergies for us Texans. And some of the same symptoms mimic allergies.

example: when ragweed and cedar are up, I get stuffy nose, cough, congestion, a slight fever, achy and a scratchy throat.
what does that sound like??

I want to believe she didn't fly knowing. And hopefully she truly thought she had allergies.

Just throwing out a different thought into the pile. Not excusing, not trying to reason what she did.

I too am highly allergic to ragweed. It is here in south Carolina.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: kimmie7
From the story:
Vinson told hospital workers that she remembers not feeling well as far back as Friday, according to Dr. Marguerite Erme who’s a medical director in Summit County, Ohio. While Vinson wasn’t feeling as well as normal, “it was nothing you could point your finger at and say, ‘Ah, this is a particular disease,’” but while in Ohio she felt muscle ache, fatigue and malaise.

Link:
youngcons.com...

One of the symptoms is general malaise. That's what she's describing. Thoughtless girl.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I've dealt with a hundred just like her. I can just see that head lobbing back and forth as she says, "I've dreamed of this my whole life - I'm not missing going shopping for my wedding!" Hope she makes it through to even have a wedding.

a reply to: AutumnWitch657

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
I am not feeling very positive.
The more news I see, the worse it gets.
I don't think the government is being straight with us at all.

They're being straight with us. Unfortunatly humans are ...well human. If this grows from her actions it's all on her. I bet she's not feeling too good about her decisions today.
Pham is our sweet innocent victim. Vinson is a pariah. Our typhoid Mary.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I was just reading about her:

Mary Mallon is also known as Typhoid Mary. From 1901-1907, she cooked for a number of families spreading Typhoid throughout N.Y. In 1907 she was quarantined, but was released in 1910 under the condition that she never again work as a cook. In 1915, an outbreak of typhoid fever was traced to a hospital cook: "Mrs. Brown." This turned out to be Mary Mallon cooking under an assumed name. She was immediately sent back to North Brother Island, where she was forced to remain for the rest of her life.
edit on 18-10-2014 by kimmie7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
If their protocols had been followed yes. Unfortunately Dallas thought those protocols were subject to interpretation. a reply to: hogstooth

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   

About 7.3 million Americans are enrolled in private coverage through the Affordable Care Act marketplaces, and more than 80 percent qualified for federal subsidies to help with the cost of their monthly premiums. But many are still on the hook for deductibles that can top $5,000 for individuals and $10,000 for families — the trade-off, insurers say, for keeping premiums for the marketplace plans relatively low. The result is that some people — no firm data exists on how many — say they hesitate to use their new insurance because of the high out-of-pocket costs.
www.nytimes.com...

so wonder how many there are running around not aware that they have been exposed feeling ill but just won't go to a doctor till they are half dead because they are afraid of the medical costs? our healthcare system isn't conducive for pandemic control and obamacare has just made that problem worse!

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: kimmie7

There is a show on Cinemax called The Knick that's about the former Knickerbocker Hospital (which later becomes Johns Hopkins) in Manhattan. One of the storylines involved Mary Mallon. Pretty interesting stuff if you are interested in a well done depiction of how they traced the outbreak to her and tried (unsuccessfully) to keep her from spreading the disease.

Ironically enough many cases could have been prevented if not for the deadly combination of hubris and ignorance. I guess history does repeat itself.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
a reply to: butcherguy

No they're not being straight with us. They're lying through their teeth, covering up cases and distorting facts. As usual.

They want this to spread and they're doing a wonderful job so far.

let's put the blame where it belongs, the hospital administration in Texas....they wouldn't spend the money to insure that the first patient wouldn't contaminate anyone else....they were trying to save a buck, at the expense of the rest of us...Texas got hung by it's own greediness, the CDC had no enforcement power over that hospital, they relied on good judgment that their recommendations would be taken seriously...but again, it's Texas, and the first patient was a poor black west African, so the hospital administration said "screw it"....I can't believe everyone is blaming the CDC, NIH, Obama....100% of the blame falls on the management at that hospital, period.
edit on 18-10-2014 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I'm fascinated by epidemiology...in face, I'm considering going back to school to study all this stuff. Well, that and forensics.

originally posted by: Kgdetroit
a reply to: kimmie7

There is a show on Cinemax called The Knick that's about the former Knickerbocker Hospital (which later becomes Johns Hopkins) in Manhattan. One of the storylines involved Mary Mallon. Pretty interesting stuff if you are interested in a well done depiction of how they traced the outbreak to her and tried (unsuccessfully) to keep her from spreading the disease.

Ironically enough many cases could have been prevented if not for the deadly combination of hubris and ignorance. I guess history does repeat itself.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

When the CDC gears up like this

but recommends front line hospital workers gear up like this

I don't think they can be totally absolved from blame.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join