It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi Arabia Sentences Reformist Shiite Cleric to ‘Crucifixion’

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

High profile reformist Shiite cleric, Mimr Bager al-Nimr, has been sentenced to death by crucifixion in Saudi Arabia. He was found guilty of speaking out against the ruling royal family. Lesson - don't tick off the royal house of Saud .. or you'll be crucified and your head will be chopped off.

Saudi Arabia doesn't have a great human rights record. This is yet another black mark against the Royal House of Saud. It looks like they really don't care what people think of them. They have their oil and their power so they are content with a bronze age mentality legal system. It's sad. I feel for the people suffering under this kind of brutality.

Toronto Star - Saudi Arabia Sentences Reformist Shiite Cleric to ‘Crucifixion’

Raising fears of renewed sectarian tensions in the region, Saudi Arabia’s top court has sentenced a charismatic opposition leader to death for speaking out against the kingdom’s ruling family.

Nimr Baqer al-Nimr, a reformist cleric, has repeatedly called for an end to corruption and discrimination against minorities. He has a wide following, particularly among young people in Saudi Arabia’s Eastern Province, home to most of the country’s minority Shiites, who are considered heretics by the Sunni-ruled government.

After being imprisoned for nearly two years, al-Nimr appeared in Riyadh’s Specialized Criminal Court Wednesday with his lawyer and two brothers. Charged with terrorism offences and “breaking allegiance to the king,” the judge upheld the country’s harshest sentence — “crucifixion” — where the decapitated body is publicly displayed. His brothers were reportedly detained after the sentencing.

BBC News - Saudi Shia cleric Nimr al-Nimr 'sentenced to death'

Sheikh Nimr Baqir al-Nimr's brother said he was found guilty of seeking "foreign meddling" in the kingdom, "disobeying" its rulers and taking up arms against the security forces. The cleric was a vocal supporter of the mass anti-government protests that erupted in Eastern Province in 2011...

When Sheikh Nimr, who holds the rank of ayatollah, went on trial in March 2013 prosecutors called for his execution by "crucifixion", a punishment which in Saudi Arabia involves beheading followed by public display of the decapitated body.

National Post - Saudi Court Sentences Iconic Shiite Cleric to Gruesome Beheading With Head Put on Public Display in Crucifixion

Al-Nimr had faced charges that include disobeying the ruler, firing on security forces, sowing discord, undermining national unity and interfering in the affairs of a sisterly nation. A statement by the cleric’s family described the verdict as discretionary, saying the judge had the option of ordering a lighter sentence.

The family said the verdict sets a “dangerous precedent for decades to come.”

Wiki information on Nimr al-Nimr

Nimr Baqr al-Nimr ... is an independent Shia Sheikh in al-Awamiyah, Eastern Province, Saudi Arabia. He is popular among youth and critical of the Saudi Arabian government. He claimed that he was beaten by Mabahith when arrested in 2006. In 2009, he criticised Saudi authorities and suggested secession of the Eastern Province if Saudi Shias' rights were not better respected. A warrant for his arrest was issued and 35 people were arrested. During the 2011–2012 Saudi Arabian protests, al-Nimr called for protestors to resist police bullets using "the roar of the word" rather than violence, predicted the overthrow of the government if repression continued, and was seen by The Guardian as having "taken the lead in [the] uprising".

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

+25 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Something new in the world's most loving religion.... Islam.

Come on, haters.... call me an Islamophobe!

+36 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Muhammed (PBUH) would turn in grave to hear this. He himself said there is no compulsion what so ever in religion and to kill or force out of religous belief is Zina (A Greater Sin)

And please (butcherguy) do not speak as if you know Islam. People and peoples actions do not reflect what the prophet taught.
edit on 16-10-2014 by MGaddafi because: (no reason given)

+20 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

a reply to: MGaddafi

This isn't someone being put to death because of religious beliefs running counter to Islam ... this is someone being put to death in a gruesome bronze-age manner because they spoke ill about The Royal House of Saud. The Royals over there are a barbaric bunch.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

+6 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
ISSA?

Behead him then crucify the body?

I figured beheading defeated the purpose but if there is one thing they love over there, it surely seem to be cutting off heads, well body parts for that matter. You'd think this would incite his follower but maybe not, especially when they can chop your head off on a whim.

+7 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Maybe it is time to arm the people of Saudi Arabia to overthrow these sick rulers just like in Syria or stop trading with them but guess who our best customers are for weapons etc -- sad

+30 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Indeed that has nothing to with Islam forgive me as this was a political execution. Again apologies.

(We musnt refer to these barbaric acts of political strife as Zeal or religious belief as so many seem to be doing in this age.)
edit on 16-10-2014 by MGaddafi because: (no reason given)

+23 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Whilst I do not agree with the idea of killing off anyone just because they are speaking ill of you. It's not really along the lines of freedom of speech.

But doesn't this happen all the time? Not just with Saudi Arabia, even recent history people were executed for Speaking ill (conspiring) against the Crown of England. I find it just like being a traitor in some respects.

Fair enough beheading then displaying the body is a bit much. But it gets the message across.

Be the same way for USA if there was a group speaking ill to gather forces against them.

+8 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: douglas5
Maybe it is time to arm the people of Saudi Arabia to overthrow these sick rulers just like in Syria or stop trading with them but guess who our best customers are for weapons etc -- sad

Maybe we should try holding their hands and kissing their cheeks?

Seems to be a twisted relationship with House of Saud, our ally, who still beheads people for..... wait for it.... sorcery.

Sorcery being such a problem facing the world these days.

Meanwhile there is an embargo on Cuba, a shame they don't have massive oil reserves!

+28 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Its the politics and culture not the religion. Its about protecting the brutally autocratic Rpyal Family and taking a pop at Shia Muslims.

+26 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Wahhabi's don't follow the laws of Islam...

Nice try though!

+30 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Ok you're an Islamophobe. To broad brush the whole religion based on a few people just shows your ignorance.
America is always condemning Iran when they execute someone like when a couple of gay guys for raping a 13 year old boy but says nothing when Saudi Arabia wants to execute someone for speaking out against the royal family.

+34 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
so apparently the filthy rat was

"disobeying" its rulers and taking up arms against the security forces.

and

The cleric was a vocal supporter of the mass anti-government protests that erupted in Eastern Province in 2011.

try doing that in USA or any european country or even any country around the world and see what you get .

im sure that in the US the Waterboarding sentence will be at first before you get killed secretly and then they'll tell the world that you committed a suicide

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: douglas5

I agree that the rulers of Saudi are barbaric and repressive and the Wahhabi's are spreading their own particular repulsive brand of Islamic fundamentalism throughout the world, but what would arming rebels achieve?

Another part of the Middle East would descend into chaos with further slaughtering of innocent people.
Thousands more displaced as the various sects / tribes fight for control in the inevitable political vacuum.
Or 'the west' becomes embroiled in yet another Middle Eastern conflict which they would of course mess up and become the target of vicious resentment from all party's.

And thus one more step towards the brink.

I agree, something desperately needs to be done....what I don't know.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Maltese5Rhino

..... even recent history people were executed for Speaking ill (conspiring) against the Crown of England.

Err......when exactly was this last done?

+22 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Not an islamaphobe, a brainwashed ignorant sheep.

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Crucifixion?

Why not stone or behead him?

Oh, wait, that sort of thing still goes on in the region as well.

What year is it again?

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
What's the point of crucifying a dead body? I don't get that.

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: The-Hammer
Crucifixion?

Why not stone or behead him?

Oh, wait, that sort of thing still goes on in the region as well.

What year is it again?

Don't worry they are going to behead him first.

originally posted by: intrepid
What's the point of crucifying a dead body? I don't get that.

my guess would be for the sole purpose of putting his corpse on public display and imposing fear?

edit on 16-10-2014 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Indeed, an important distinction to be made there. And yet the West (everyone, not just the US) does nothing, but will go after IS for imposing the same, exact religious world view - an IS that has had it's support from Saudi, as well as other Gulf states. Twisted, huh?

a reply to: Freeborn

A bloody long time ago! The last person executed for treason was in 1946, for crimes committed during the War, but I think the last people executed for actually rising up against the King was in the 1700's, after the Jacobite rebellion which wasn't really a case of saying a bad word against the Monarch, it was an actual armed rebellion supporting another claimant to the Crown.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join