It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK expects 'handful' of Ebola cases

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Are you serious? I mean, then what is so troublesome about this doom?

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Heartisblack

Are you serious? I mean, then what is so troublesome about this doom?

Am I serious about what?

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Let's see what happens when it does hit the U.K. I remember the Swine Flu panic and all the contingency plans being put in place. But, that appeared to be an excuse to get rid of all the Tamiflu that was about to expire.

I'm not overly worried just yet. Sure the death toll sounds worrying, but when you compare it to the 300,000 people who die of malaria each year, it kind of puts in perspective.

This is what I was talking about, dude, what is so different between Ebola and Swine Flu? I mean, doom wise, it doesn't feel any different.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   

In Liberia it is killing more than the malaria and lower respiratory infections combined per week now.
The 2 previous biggest killers in Liberia.

And that has just taken it months.

edit on 11-10-2014 by joho99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Heartisblack

I agree and I'm not the one pushing the doom. The major difference being this time, they've run out of the magic cure.

With regards to Malaria, they can prevent this, but chose not to. If we decide to travel to areas affected by malaria, then we have to go through several inoculations, thereby preventing becoming infected by it.

As I've said, what can we do anyway?

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: joho99

Okay, where are the figures to support this?

I'm not disbelieving you, but I can't find anything to support what you are saying. It would be helpful if you can provide this. Thanks.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   

What’s the Relative Impact Compared to Other Diseases? The available numbers also indicate that Ebola had, as of mid-September, already become the leading cause of death in Liberia. The WHO has estimated a case fatality rate of 70% for the West Africa Ebola outbreak; applying this rate to the officially reported cases from Liberia for the last 7 weeks, we find Ebola caused, on average, 263 deaths per week in the country. By comparison, the top three leading causes of deaths in the country – malaria, lower respiratory infections, and diarrheal diseases (using data from the global burden of disease study for 2010) – caused an estimated 140, 89, and 88 deaths per week, respectively. This means at its current rate, Ebola is killing people in Liberia at approximately twice the rate of the country’s previously biggest cause of death and, ominously, this rate is likely to increase for the foreseeable future as the epidemic continues to expand.

Global Health Council

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
The Authorities won't stop passengers from flying back and forth from the infected areas because many Businesses or whatever will lose money but do they really believe that if someone was infected and travelled on the busy transport service in London that people wouldn't quit their jobs? I think there would be mass refusals to go to work as many would rather spend their time with their family right? Wouldn't they? Surely their life is more important then work??

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Do you honestly believe this? How many times through this ConDem and Labour Governments have we been told you need to work, you need to set an example, you need to pay your taxes.

It's total, total Bullshine and we know it. Yet, we continue, we carry on following because after all, it's what we do.

Maybe UKIP can stop Ebola, let's see.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: MissBeck

All the health care workers and Doctors in Africa were wearing protective gear, and they caught it.

No they likely wernt. Some of the hospitals were running out of simple things such as gloves and even disinfectant! They were even recycling used rubber gloves in some areas as resources were so short.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

Business and tourism is more important to them than a handful of people becoming infected, that is quite obvious.

Tourism is likely already dead in Seira leone and Liberia. And there economies so insignificant it would not hurt us if we shut travel off to those country's.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

Business and tourism is more important to them than a handful of people becoming infected, that is quite obvious.

Tourism is likely already dead in Seira leone and Liberia. And there economies so insignificant it would not hurt us if we shut travel off to those country's.

I'm talking London mate, not Africa.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Sure. A "handful" of cases. Only problem is, the hand belongs to Godzilla.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: bludragin

How much is a handful in the UK anyways? They measure things differently over there.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: adomol

Good point (titter!)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join