It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boots on the ground in Syria ‘if the US strategy includes going after Assad,’ says Turkish PM

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   
www.hurriyetdailynews.com... NewsCatID=338

Ground troops can be used in the operation targeting the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) as part of a comprehensive strategy also targeting the Bashar al-Assad regime, Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu has reportedly said.

Davutoğlu made the remarks in an interview with CNN, CNN reporter Christiane Amanpour wrote via her Twitter account on Oct. 6.

The prime minister’s interview with Amanpour was set to be aired late Oct. 6.

“Turkish PM @Ahmet_Davutoglu tells me there can be boots on ground but only if the U.S. strategy includes going after al-Assad too,” Amanpour wrote on Twitter.

Well there you have it, Assad is going to fall now that Turkey is willing to send in their army if the US green lights it, which of course they will.

NATO will be involved as well.

NATO says will take action to protect Turkey if needed

The NATO military alliance will stand by Turkey if that proves necessary to protect the country from attacks on it by Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said on Oct. 6.

CNN Op Ed: Will Turkish boots on ground really defeat ISIS?
edit on 7-10-2014 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

The U.S. hasn't gone after Assad yet, so I doubt if they'd start now. That would mean bombing Assad's key outposts, homes, etc., which I don't think America is ready or close to willing to do. So he's probably safe for now, living the life of Riley and dancing at midnight.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

Hasn't gone after Assad? Seriously? They, as in all of Assad's enemies, not just the US, have been going after him since the beginning of the civil war, perhaps even before, by arming, funding, and sending supplies (food, medical, high tech communication devices, etc), and quite possibly intelligence to the so called moderate FSA rebels.

Now they have their perfect scenario complete to take out Assad. First, if they do it right, they take out the terrorists. Which may not be so easy since the FSA have no problems cooperating with any and all terrorist groups, which most definitely includes ISIL.

But in a perfect world ISIL and Al Qaeda will be removed. Then they'll continue to support the FSA and Turkish troops with air strikes. Assad is literally a sitting duck and will most likely surrender before they ever reach him because I'm sure he doesn't want to go out the way Gaddafi did.

Having Turkish troops and the FSA on the ground Assad's days are definitely numbered. America couldn't have a better scenario to remove Assad with than this. Flooding Syria with terrorists and then removing them along with Assad makes everyone looks like heroes.

Problem. Reaction. Solution.
edit on 6-10-2014 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   

What? This entire thing is about going after Assad. I'd be willing to bet ISIS was recklessly enable to eventually justify another shot at Assad. We failed once when we were just funding the coup... But as the old saying goes, "if you wasn't something done right, you gotta do it yourself."

AAC

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Giving self-defense and medical aid to his enemies isn't the same as going after him. It's against U.S. law for their government to kill a head of state, so they can't openly attack him or his homes, hence the proxies. But what Turkey is asking for is a U.S. statement that they want Assad attacked, removed, or, bottom line, killed, something the U.S. can't legally do. So if the statement is to be believed, and suddenly Turkish troops go in with the purpose of replacing him, the messages of U.S. support will have to be via back channels and hidden handshake promises.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   

I believe that Turkey is the key here. Arming the Kurds is another idea, but that could lead to more problems later in the forming of Kurdistan proper. Turkey is obviously a much more modern and potent force and would mop the floor with ISIS and Assad too, and the bonus is they are ready to go on the boarder right now. You can only imagine the type of dealing being done at the moment.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:07 PM
link   

The US & friends have been directly attacking Assad since the start of the civil war. Conspiracy theory would also suggest they helped incite it. Arming the rebels to the teeth and sending in hundreds of millions of dollars is more than just self defense. It's clearly an attack and most of us know this.

Israel has already conducted airstrikes in Syria, bombing Hezbollah who are there supporting Assad's forces. Now Turkey is moving in with boots on the ground. Do you really think the US won't move against Assad now?

I wish I lived in your America.

Congress approves arming, training of Syrian rebels to fight ISIL

SEPTEMBER 18, 2014

The Senate voted 78-22 to authorize President Barack Obama’s plan.

Obama later thanked lawmakers for approving his request.

“As I said last week, I believe that we’re strongest as a nation when the president and Congress work together, and I want to thank members of Congress for the speed and seriousness with which they approached this important issue,” he said.

Free Syrian Army doesn't dispute aid to fight ISIS will also be used to fight Assad

September 18th, 2014

A letter issued Wednesday by a top leader of the Free Syrian Army makes it clear that its fighters intend to use U.S. aid to fight not only ISIS but the forces of Bashar al-Assad, regardless of a reluctance by the Obama administration to publicly acknowledge that fact. The letter – issued as Congress began voting on aid and assistance to the rebels – affirms “the Free Syrian Army’s continued commitment to removing the twin terrorists Bashar al-Assad and Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi from Syrian soil,” and directly calls upon the U.S. Congress to help them accomplish that task.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: weirdguy

We've already armed the Kurds, and just recently to help them fight off ISIL who was also armed to the teeth with US arms they've acquired from the so called Iraqi army. And ISIL probably also received weapons, cash, and supplies funneled through the FSA since they are buddy buddy and all.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

We've already armed the Kurds, and just recently to help them fight off ISIL who was also armed to the teeth with US arms they've acquired from the so called Iraqi army. And ISIL probably also received weapons, cash, and supplies funneled through the FSA since they are buddy buddy and all.

Yep, and they can keep it all going if the Kurds try to establish their own territory by force once the ISIS thing has finished.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Perfect scenario? What's the weird for when you get even better than perfect? The whole Ebola thing has almost entirely pushed the Syria issue out of the nation's collective conciseness. ISIS pops up now and again but only as an existential threat. Usually its only in reference to our southern border and often paired with Ebola fear.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: tavi45

Good point! I'm so sick of Ebola!

Ebola! Ebola! Ebola!

Ebola and ISIL beheadings, along with US domestic beheadings, really drive the fear train!

Fear fuels this world.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:29 PM
link   

I'm sure if and when ISIL is defeated Iraq may split up into Kurdish, Shiite, and Sunni states. The Iraq as you know it today may be gone tomorrow.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   

from what i've seen of isis/isil i'd say you're wrong, the fsa and other groups are enemies of isis and seen as infidels and executed right on the spot by them, even going so far as pretending to be their enemies to find them, to them others not of isis/isil are infidels and non-muslim thus not worthy of their lives unless they either convert or swear fealty to them.

we may have created this civil war and supported the fsa and a few other groups but isis was something that rose by consequence of this civil war not by intent.

the fsa may be rebels but not every rebel group has the same goal as isis which is establishing conservative non-secular shiara law, conquest, slaughter and conversion; not even al-queda nor hezbollah, hamas or any other islamic extremist groups was or is so extreme and brutal as isis. in fact i don't think any of the islamic conquests before or after the crusades or inquisition were so extreme and brutal in methodology and intent.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: namehere

As it stands right now, ISIL and the FSA are enemies but the FSA has openly admitted in the past to not having a problem fighting along side the terrorist groups. ISIL is one of the most extremist groups, so extreme Al Qaeda broke ties with them. But when Assad strikes they will fight together and when they're not fighting his forces they can and will fight each other.

With the US is training the FSA to fight ISIL so it's clear ISIL will have another enemy in Syria but who knows what else is going on in the background.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Doubtful, if anything an Turkish uprising would occur first before Assad would fall. America and her Sunni terrorist state allies have being pushing and wishing for the downfall since 2010.

At least this proves they arent trying to take out ISIS. I would imagine if the west is this desperate for that Qatari pipeline to be built and if they do attack Assad then everyone would know in the world that America has lied about the reasons to go back to Iraq and Syria.
edit on 7-10-2014 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Self defense? Are you hiding under a rock? Rebels and mostly outside forces were armed for a rebellion. Thats not self defense.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister

The U.S. hasn't gone after Assad yet, so I doubt if they'd start now. That would mean bombing Assad's key outposts, homes, etc., which I don't think America is ready or close to willing to do. So he's probably safe for now, living the life of Riley and dancing at midnight.

I wouldn't worry about Assad, he's going to die either way ...

I'd rather think about counter actions ... and I'd wonder what sort of road these will take. As, as time passes ... these are guaranteed, and more likely to be properly calculated revenge strikes.

There is a saying, when you dig someones grave ... dig two graves, one for yourself. The longer the US playes these games, the more devastating the counter measures are likely to be.

edit on 7/10/2014 by bjarneorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I hope the world will realize, that the same crap as in Lybia will happen as soon as they get rid of Assad.
Even arming the rebels is wrong, I bet as soon as they get the weapons, they will sell them to ISIS or just buy their own life inside the ISIS organisation with it.
The only way to defeat ISIS is to support Assad, when you get rid of ISIS, then you can still care about him if you want.
He is an easier enemy to fight against then ISIS.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 03:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: weirdguy

I believe that Turkey is the key here. Arming the Kurds is another idea, but that could lead to more problems later in the forming of Kurdistan proper. Turkey is obviously a much more modern and potent force and would mop the floor with ISIS and Assad too, and the bonus is they are ready to go on the boarder right now. You can only imagine the type of dealing being done at the moment.

The problem is, are the Turkish forces as willing to fight as the Kurds are?
Motivation is a huge factor, the Turkish forces are not afraid of their lives living behin the save border. The Kurdish fighters are afraid of their lives and their families every day, they have a way higher motivation to fight.
ISIS could easily defeat the Iraqi soldiers, because they were in fear. ISIS fighter don't know such a thing, because they've already chosen death as soon as they decided to board the plane towards Syria.
You need an army that is not afraid to die for their country. The Kurdish people have proven themselves already.
edit on 7-10-2014 by aLLeKs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Remember a couple of weeks or so ago, when the entire leadership of the "rebels" was blown up by as yet unknown means, and the new leadership immediately issued a non-aggression agreement with ISIS?
That got the old BS senses twitching uncontrollably. In other words, those who opposed ISIS were taken out en masse to allow ISIS to go about it's business unmolested. Now who would have had so much to gain from that little bit of action? The very people who created and run ISIS of course.

I also see that the new NATO commander is now talking about NATO stepping in to protect Turkey if it comes under attack by ISIS, on the ground in Syria! I mean, how f*****g obvious do they really have to make it, before people start waking up and realizing that this is all one big bit of theatre and that the end game is removal of the Syrian government.

The beheadings were nothing more than carefully scripted propaganda to swell the outrage in the west, to get support for the bombing campaign and any subsequent NATO involvement in "boots on the ground" in Syria. The fact that old hag Rita Katz and SITE Intelligence was supplying the videos, having gotten the jump on ISIS in getting them out there on the net is laughable.

The politicians, as usual, think we are stupid. It's all so "in your face", they don't even try to hide it any more.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join