It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court paves way for gay marriage in several states, leaves issue unresolved nationally

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I can't wait until 20-30 years from now when this will no longer be an issue. People will be able to marry whomever they want and our culture would have evolved to the point that none of us will give a damn.

For those of us that say it's wrong because it's a sin.....you're a hypocrite. We are all sinners and one sin is not worse than another. So quit judging people.......you sinner!

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: sheepslayer247
I can't wait until 20-30 years from now when this will no longer be an issue. People will be able to marry whomever they want and our culture would have evolved to the point that none of us will give a damn.

For those of us that say it's wrong because it's a sin.....you're a hypocrite. We are all sinners and one sin is not worse than another. So quit judging people.......you sinner!

I'm wondering if I have evolved...

Because I currently don't give a damn about this issue.

But I do care that Government has a say in marriage, ie: taxes and so forth.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

Yes, there are many like us that currently don't care one bit. I was saying that our culture as whole will have evolved to that point.

As far as government's involvement, I think they should not have one damn thing to say about it. There should be legal avenues that people can take to secure certain rights as far as property and such, but the need for a marriage licence is ridiculous.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Great! Let's all EQUALLY not have marriage.

AFTER --- we ALL have EQUALITY to have it.

As if, the anti-gay marriage crowd is going to give it up.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
The best part of people using "traditional marriage" as a point is that it's been dead for a long time.

Cheating is rampant (especially among the Christian fundamentalist activists)

www.independent.co.uk...

Cohabitation, once considered a sin (my Catholic grandma still thinks it should be) is on the rise and with it greater numbers of children out of wedlock.

www.foryourmarriage.org...

Divorce is just insanely high. It used to be nearly impossible to divorce as most churches thought it a great sin. Henry VIII made England Protestant just to get a divorce and I guess he set a tend. In America somewhere between 40 and 50% of marriages end in divorce.

www.apa.org...

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs
If you look at how the court works, then this makes sense. The US Supreme court has to weigh a lot of court cases that are asked to appear on its docket. For cases like this, the courts have been waiting for all of the other courts to weigh in on this, to get an idea on how they are ruling. And if anything one of the things that the justices did, was go through and look at the opinions of the courts, to see if they just sound legal precedents to justify their ruling, along with the brief on the arguments that were used.

These are not the kinds of cases that the court is going to hear, as most of the judges are ruling in favor of same sex marriage, and ultimately so far, the justification for such is based on sound legal precedents. The cases that will ultimately lead to the Supreme Court making a ruling will be the cases coming out of Ohio and Alabama, those are what the court wants to hear, as those will be the arguments that count.

The case out of Ohio, surrounds where 2 same sex married couple had moved there one died, and it is a fight over the death certificate. That is the kind of case that the US Supreme Court wants to hear, as it asks the court to weigh in on marriages that happened in one state that recognizes said union and the event happens in another state that does not.

The other case, here again same sex couple, one person died, and now the family is going in and taking the estate from the surviving spouse, all cause the state of Alabama does not recognize same sex marriage. Those 2 cases will be the stuff that will set the tone for the next time the court is asked the question about the determination of same sex marriage.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 03:17 AM
link   
So none of the homophobes are interested in asking me any questions? No surprise there. Thanks to all the voices of reason in this thread. Thankfully this debate is almost over. Republicans are jumping the anti gay ship as fast as they can after the supreme Court decision. Most of them anyways. Ted Cruz is gonna try to sail it with a skeleton crew.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 04:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: TKDRL
a reply to: Indigo5
How about forcing a photographer to attend and document gay wedding? Yeah, it happened.

Not very wise. The photos will be uninspired pap. I'd rather book a photographer who wanted the job.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   
More Gay Marriage Bans Fall in Idaho and Nevada

35 states! And well over 60% of the people of the US will soon live in states that support marriage equality!

A federal appeals court on Tuesday added two — and potentially five — states to the list of those where gays and lesbians can get married. The decision likely will raise the number of states with same-sex marriage to 35.
The court's action came just a day after the Supreme Court refused to reconsider similar appeals of court decisions striking down gay marriage bans in Utah, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Indiana and Virginia.

Looks like the House of Cards is crumbling before our eyes!

edit on 10/8/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: tavi45

I think you will find that most republicans have always supported gay marriage. Well, not gay marriage, per se, but equal application of laws.

Personally, I can't wait until this is over. I'm tired of hearing loud-mouths cry about gay marriage being wrong and I'm sick of the gay rights folks running their mouths.

So I hope everyone will be able to get married soon, both sides will shut up, and we can talk about something really important.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Justice Kennedy just put a hold on the ninth appeals court ruling about Idaho and Nevada, to allow time for written appeals of the ruling. He gave them until Thursday, but this seems like the court has to go through the proper procedure before denying to take up that appeal, which, in the likelihood that the Supreme Court does decline the case, will allow the two states to then begin issuing licenses.
edit on 8-10-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   

I think you will find that most republicans have always supported gay marriage. Well, not gay marriage, per se, but equal application of laws.

Except when it comes to gay people, blacks and poor people.

So I hope everyone will be able to get married soon, both sides will shut up, and we can talk about something really important.

So, the rights guaranteed to every citizen by the Constitution are not "important"?

When marriage equality exists, there will be no reason to talk about it anymore. But if the activists who have made this happen would have just sat on their thumbs and "shut up", we wouldn't be where we are today.

It's a sad statement, but we have to FIGHT for our rights as Americans. All this talk is what got us where we are today. And talking about marriage equality does not preclude talking about the "important" subjects... Like how ebola is an engineered plague, and going to kill us all as a means of population control. :rolleyes:
edit on 10/8/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Actually, I think there is a very vocal section of the republican party that is against those groups, but I hesitate to say that it's the majority. Most "average" republicans don't care about gay marriage. They want to concentrate on fiscal matters or the economy. It seems that the people that get the most attention on the right are the hateful neocons that want to stop equality issues.

So, the rights guaranteed to every citizen by the Constitution are not "important"?

I suppose I should clarify.

My statement does not mean that I don't think equal rights are important. I believe the rights that gays and black people fight for are already granted by the constitution. They shouldn't have to fight for something that was already given to them. But, of course, there are those that have used our government to suppress the rights of others....so they must fight to get them back. They have my support and I speak out for them when I can.

But I just wish we would pull our heads out of our collective asses, recognize the rights they have and move on to other things. It seems ridiculous to me that this is an issue.

I guess my comments may have come off as being insensitive, so I do apologize.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
My entire town is staunch Republican. As my friend who is a staffer on Capitol Hill pointed out though our town is fiscal conservatives. Most people here are pretty open. Not all though......

Either way the most vociferous anti gay Republicans are the ones in the bible belt.

The ones by me have no pity for blacks or the poor so there's that.

As more of the young reach voting age and the old die off the Republican party is losing more power everyday.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   

a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Actually, I think there is a very vocal section of the republican party that is against those groups, but I hesitate to say that it's the majority. Most "average" republicans don't care about gay marriage. They want to concentrate on fiscal matters or the economy. It seems that the people that get the most attention on the right are the hateful neocons that want to stop equality issues.

You do know that anti-gay marriage is Officially part of the Republican platform.

Right?

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

But I just wish we would pull our heads out of our collective asses, recognize the rights they have and move on to other things. It seems ridiculous to me that this is an issue.

Recognize the rights they already have?

Is that like, "you can ride the bus as long as you sit in the back?

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: sheepslayer247

I get what you're saying. I know - everyone is sick to freaking death of hearing about all this

:-)

But sheepslayer - this is something really important
edit on 10/8/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

I get what you're saying. I know - everyone is sick to freaking death of hearing about all this

Like this? Another appeal to stop marriage equality ---- after the USSC declined to take the case and went with the lower courts ruling.

Hours after that ruling came down, attorneys representing Idaho Governor Butch Otter, and Attorney General Tom Horne — both Republicans — asked the high court to place a hold on the ruling as the state prepares to request a rehearing from the full Ninth Circuit, reports SCOTUSBlog. That petition, which will request what is known as an en banc hearing, is the next step in the appeals process, though notably, other states defending marriage bans, like Utah, have skipped the optional en banc request and petitioned the Supreme Court directly. www.advocate.com...

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I think many people in this country don't truly understand the problem - and why this fight is so important

So - yes - just like that

And this:

Do GOP Senators Agree with Ted Cruz’s New Constitutional Marriage Amendment?

In a seven paragraph statement posted to his U.S. Senate website, Cruz unleashed a vein-popping outburst of anti-marriage animus not seen in this country since 2004. Cruz called the Supreme Court’s action “judicial activism at its worst,” “tragic and indefensible,” “preposterous,” and a “usurpation” by the courts.

What’s more, he called for sweeping federal legislation to un-marry countless thousands of committed and loving gay and lesbian couples—a bill to undo federal recognition of marriage equality and even wants to modify the U.S. Constitution to block marriage equality.

A man who claims to support and defend the constitution also vows to amend it so as to deny one group of people the rights they already (should) have

Ted Cruz can kiss my liberal ass

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I guess I'm having a hard time articulating my point today.

Yes, I know that being anti-gay marriage is part of the overall PARTY platform, but it does not reflect the beliefs of ALL or the majority of Republicans.

:-)

But sheepslayer - this is something really important

I know it's important and I agree. I've been one of the people trying to help their cause....but I get a bit frustrated and think to myself "AHHHHHHH...quit #ing around and legalize it already!"

So I hope you guys know that I'm with ya and support this. I'm just venting my frustration and I'll shut up now before I dig a deeper hole.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join