It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court paves way for gay marriage in several states, leaves issue unresolved nationally

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: tavi45
a reply to: itguysrule

So I think you getting passed on a job because a qualified women or minority showed up is not as bad as being fired from your job for being gay.

Also bring passed on a job for not being black or a woman or gay is not the same as the discrimination employed against all groups. This discrimination results in rape, incarceration, and violence against minorities.

How about studies saying that just having a black sounding name on an identical resume to one with a white name mean you are less likely to get the job?

www.nber.org...

Affirmative action policies are an attempt to fix this issue. Affirmative action would not exist if people like you could learn not to be bigoted.

Talk about the plight of white heterosexual makes when you get beaten up by a gay guy for no reason other than being straight.

You truly have mastered cognitive dissonance sir. Want a medal?

The person selected for the job over me was totally NOT qualified. In fact, they only lasted in the job for about six months before they resigned to avoid being fired. I was not even attempting to address all of the other various issues you brought up. My only point was that being a white male can actually work against you in some situations.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

What about people eating shellfish? Would you not bake them a cake also?.
I thoight Christian s followed the new testiment not the old one which has the anti gay stuff in.
Why cherry pick? Just to hide your bigotry.
Pfft.

No cake for you! I would guess from reading your tagline that you think all religion should be eliminated. Good luck with that. Try that on Islam and see how far you get before someone cuts your head off. As for organ donation I choose to NOT be a donor specifically because I don't want any of my organs going to benefit a person like you.

Pfft.

edit on 6-10-2014 by itguysrule because: Spelling

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I can't understand people who don't believe in Equality, for those that preach "Freedom" yet people still want to control other people, people still want "Religion" to act as a dictatorship on what people can and can't do.

Love is Love and in the end it conquers all!

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: TKDRL
The federal government has no place being in marriage in the first place. Married people should not being getting any tax breaks. It is outdated practice, like alimoney, a holdover from when a woman couldn't get a job even if she wanted to.

I find it really annoying when posters bring this issue into the Marriage Equality discussion.

Whether or not there should be government marriage is a completely different discussion.

No it shouldn't.

Why then does everyone think that they need the federal government's consent to get together and call it whatever they will? No title or lack there of is stopping any couple from being partners for life. Just sign his/her name as a beneficiary and move in together. What's more to it?

If you end tax breaks for marriage PERIOD. You would see over half of the support for gay marriage's federal recognition be dropped in an instant.
edit on 2014 by BlubberyConspiracy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlubberyConspiracy

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: TKDRL
The federal government has no place being in marriage in the first place. Married people should not being getting any tax breaks. It is outdated practice, like alimoney, a holdover from when a woman couldn't get a job even if she wanted to.

I find it really annoying when posters bring this issue into the Marriage Equality discussion.

Whether or not there should be government marriage is a completely different discussion.

No it shouldn't.

Why then does everyone think that they need the federal government's consent to get together and call it whatever they will?

They don't.

This is about EQUALITY. Everyone having the same Right of Choice. To Legally marry or not.

Again, whether there should be Legal Government marriage or not, is not the issue here. That is a completely different discussion.

BTW --- Let me know when all the heteros are ready to give up their Legal Marriage.
edit on 6-10-2014 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: BlubberyConspiracy

Because marriage conveys tons of legal rights, it needs to be guaranteed by law.

Now, take way the legal rights bestowed by marriage for EVERYONE and see what happens. Anyone who can sign a legal contract should be able to be married.

There are no good legal reasons someone should be denied the right to marry if they are of legal age. Every argument I've ever seen has to do with the subjective morality of religion or just bigotry. It doesn't affect anyone else other than the couple being married.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlubberyConspiracy

If you end tax breaks for marriage PERIOD. You would see over half of the support for gay marriage's federal recognition be dropped in an instant.

Yeah, go ahead and try taking away those tax benefits (and all the other legal benefits) -- see how popular you are with all the straight married folks out there. Good luck with that.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Nope no qualifier. Everyone is equal. If you aren't getting the privileges you are entitled to you must be incredibly stupid or lazy. Black people aren't oppressed they're lazy and stupid. Women earn less pay because they lack the constitution and brainpower. So if you're poor or oppressed it's 100% your fault. Stop wasting your time posting on here you lazy Caucasian.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: itguysrule
I strongly oppose gay marriage. There - I said it so flame me all you want. Even so, I would be happy to "just let it go" and let people do what they want in their own lives if they would just leave me alone. Most gay people are happy to just live their lives in peace and leave the rest of us alone. I have no problem with them. My problem is with the small percentage that just have to keep pushing the issue into every corner of life. If I don't want to make a cake for a gay person or photograph their wedding I should have the right to refuse without being sued or fined. If I want to attend a church that doesn't allow gay marriage I should be able to do that without any conflict.

You liberals are constantly harping about letting people "live their lives any way they want to" but that apparently only applies to people who want to live their life the way YOU would have them live. Do you not see the hypocrisy in your position?

I have the same perspective except I support gay marriage. To me marriage is two institutions, there's the state institution which brings legal and financial benefits and then there's the religious institution which is regarded different by each religion. A Christian church for example should not be forced to marry a gay couple however the state should allow for and recognize a marriage however the state should allow the people to have the legal status of being married.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

You're 100% correct. You absolutely nailed the proper and logical way it works. The problem lies in that anti gay people are the same people who forgot that one of the most important foundations, if not the most important, of our democracy as laid out by our founding fathers in our constitution is separation of church and state.

I agree with the bigoted posters on one thing. If you don't like it just get out. So if you think your business can refuse to give health care due to religious opinions (see separation of church and state) about health care, leave the country. If you don't approve of what your children are taught in school for religious reasons then home school your children. Your church is protected by our constitution. Say what you want there or in your house but it's not welcome in public anymore. Sorry if you're inconvenienced. It's way way more inconvenient being gay or black than being a bigot.

If you don't think all men (and women) are born equal then get out. Equality and opportunity for all, along with separation of church and state are absolutely fundamental to America. If you think any law abiding American citizen (Muslim, gay, black, female, Jewish, transgender, Hispanic, white, Christian, male, Filipino, etc etc etc) should be discriminated against, you missed the whole point of America and do not deserve your citizenship. Save us the misery of your bigoted, outdated, ignorant attitudes and just leave.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime
I can't understand people who don't believe in Equality, for those that preach "Freedom" yet people still want to control other people, people still want "Religion" to act as a dictatorship on what people can and can't do.

Love is Love and in the end it conquers all!

Quoted for truth and simplicity of fact.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

originally posted by: neo96

originally posted by: beezzer
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I wish people would just "let it go".

Allow people to live as they wish, if they aren't violating anyone else's rights.

Simple.

No doubt.

After years of screaming their bedrooms is no ones else's business.

They turn around and MAKE it everyone's business.

How do you figure that? The main things are just equal rights that everyone else has. That's what all the fuss is about. Equal rights.

I am so sick of that crap.

'Equal rights' blah,blah, blah.

LGBT's couldn't give a rats snip what people think.

They only want government recognition in the form of money, and benefits.

And it shows just how big of cognitive dissonance surrounds this so called 'issue'.

It is a manufactured issue just like ALL AMERICAN politics.

For a group of people that 'PRIDES' themselves on being different. Celebrating that.

They turn around and want government to treat them live everyone else.

Well hoorah!.

If they want the 'rights' of straights. They can have it.

They want the experiences of child support,alimony,palimony, and giving their others haves the ability to take everything they own.

Including the home,cars,dogs,cats, and including the proverbial kitchen sink.

Well then HOORAH.
edit on 6-10-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Yeah I'm not the best at reducing my points to byte size. I'll get there at some point. Well said by the person you quoted.

edit on 6-10-2014 by tavi45 because: auto correct mistake

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

You realize gay pride parades wouldn't exist if people treated gays the same right? Just like black civil rights marches would never have happened if people just stopped being bigots after the civil war.

More importantly saying gays are just greedy for wanting EQUAL rights is just plain wrong. So are women greedy for wanting equal pay to men? I guess so since Republicans have blocked passing it not once, not twice, but three times.

It's ironic you use cognitive dissonance because you clearly are the one with that problem. Do you honestly think gays are already equal? I guess you believe interracial marriage is wrong too? The exact same cultural dialogue happened with that a few decades ago.

My favorite argument for justifying homophobia is the "don't push it on me" argument. Heterosexuals push their agenda constantly without even noticing because it's considered normal. As a gay man I don't mind. There's nothing I find offensive about seeing ten million movies with straight romance and barely any mainstream movies where there is a gay character at all (unless he's a bigoted caricature). There's nothing offensive to me about watching straight couples make out sloppily anywhere they want (though it is tacky). I'm not offended when I see endless tits in every show or movie even though a single penis will kill any movie that isn't a vulgar comedy (or game of thrones cause that show is so awesome straight dudes will tolerate the dicks, thigh it is tiring to hear my straight male friends bitch and moan). I'm not offended by seeing a happy newlywed straight couple (even though I've never seen the gay equivalent once). I'm not offended by walking past a group of frat bros taking about tapping that ass or how hot that ho was. I'm not offended by wet T shirt contests. I am offended by people who live in bubbles of ACTUAL cognitive dissonance pretending gays are equal and just uppity. I guess blacks and women are uppity too right?

I'm gay and I'm NOT proud of it. I'm proud of being an empathetic and kind person. I'm proud of building my career up from nothing and helping children learn everyday. I'm proud of being able to say I've never harmed or discriminated against another human being. I'm proud of never lashing out at people no matter how much they screw me over (IRL at least, internet is fair game IMO). I'm proud to be happy and fulfilled despite the world trying to tear me down all the time.

I am not the gay stereotype you have in your head. I had a friends girlfriend call me a liar over and over because she refused to believe me when I told her. I have no fashion sense and haven't seen any musical besides the South Park movie and Disney movies. I know the overt ones scare you just like self actualized blacks in the civil rights era terrified white bigots. Feel free to ask me anything (I reserve the right to avoid obviously unfair questions like the details of sexual acts but will answer general lifestyle questions). If you truly think you're in the right, how about you ask a totally mainstream guy who happens to be into other guys what it's like outside the ivory tower of heterosexuality?

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Wow jow Christian of you.
Your god is angry at you.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 12:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
a reply to: sdcigarpig

Interesting...
So can the Supreme Court rule a decision for the entire US rather than separate States who have their own Governing systems?

Yes. And in this case, they decided not to.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   

i'm going to assume you have tons of Gay Friends that tell you this right?

you have not had to deal with many of the Things that we GLBT have had to deal with, many things you get taken for granted

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 01:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime

i'm going to assume you have tons of Gay Friends that tell you this right?

you have not had to deal with many of the Things that we GLBT have had to deal with, many things you get taken for granted

I am backing Darth up here 500 percent.

Neo... although I personally understand and respect your opinions you are totally wrong... (In my opinion that is)

You too could have have been LGBT... maybe someone in your family or close friends is LGBT... How would you react if you were a father or mother of a child that suddenly came out of the closet and explained to you that they were LGBT?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

originally posted by: beezzer
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I wish people would just "let it go".

Allow people to live as they wish, if they aren't violating anyone else's rights.

Simple.

Sorry I couldn't help this Neo but your response makes me think of this :

What happened to tolerence and the traditional open mindness of ATS?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

No doubt.

After years of screaming their bedrooms is no ones else's business.

They turn around and MAKE it everyone's business.

How do you figure that? The main things are just equal rights that everyone else has. That's what all the fuss is about. Equal rights.

I am so sick of that crap.

'Equal rights' blah,blah, blah.

And it shows just how big of cognitive dissonance surrounds this so called 'issue'.

It is a manufactured issue just like ALL AMERICAN politics.

For a group of people that 'PRIDES' themselves on being different. Celebrating that.

They turn around and want government to treat them live everyone else.

Well hoorah!.

If they want the 'rights' of straights. They can have it.

They want the experiences of child support,alimony,palimony, and giving their others haves the ability to take everything they own.

Including the home,cars,dogs,cats, and including the proverbial kitchen sink.

Well then HOORAH.

Hmmm something went wrong with my quote so I will try again.

As I said earlier on... your point of view is understood and respected Neo, however, reading through your posts this song comes to mind :

I don't know why, but I have this image of you puking into your kitchen sink right now after watching this video?...

Open mindness and denying ignorance in my opinion is a wonderful human (manly if you prefer) quality...

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 7/10/14 by Rodinus because: Phrase changed

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 01:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Rodinus

We already know how reasonable Christians act in this situation. When your son is gay and you truly love your child (as parents should and in general Christians should) you realize the error of your ways and continue loving them. This anti gay Republican politician is apparently a textbook example of understanding the lessons of both Jesus and common decency.

mobile.reuters.com...

A new Pew study also shows how attitudes towards religion skew higher if you actually know someone who is of that religion.

"Knowing someone from a religious group is linked with having relatively more positive views of that group."

It's quite easy to extrapolate that most people who are anti gay don't actually know anyone who is gay except extremely noticeable out gay people they just pass by. I've already offered the viewpoint of a very very mainstream American citizen with centrist views if the anti gay people want specifics. It's very easy to generalize and discriminate if you don't know anyone as shown by my first link.

The study is interesting in general and linked below.

www.pewforum.org...

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join