It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Obama Has Missed over Half His Second-Term Daily Intel Briefings

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I would think the leader of the nation would be interested in the latest threats against the national security of the country.

A new Government Accountability Institute (GAI) report reveals that President Barack Obama has attended only 42.1% of his daily intelligence briefings (known officially as the Presidential Daily Brief, or PDB) in the 2,079 days of his presidency through September 29, 2014.

The GAI’s alarming findings come on the heels of Obama’s 60 Minutes comments on Sunday, wherein the president laid the blame for the Islamic State’s (ISIS) rapid rise squarely at the feet of his Director of National Intelligence James Clapper.

“I think our head of the intelligence community, Jim Clapper, has acknowledged that I think they underestimated what had been taking place in Syria,” said Obama.

According to Daily Beast reporter Eli Lake, members of the Defense establishment were “flabbergasted” by Obama’s attempt to shift blame.

“Either the president doesn’t read the intelligence he’s getting or he’s bull#ting,” a former senior Pentagon official “who worked closely on the threat posed by Sunni jihadists in Syria and Iraq” told the Daily Beast.

www.breitbart.com...

Why would anyone be surprised by this ?

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
What does Obama need with daily Intel briefing's when he has his news paper waiting for him in his golf cart.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I think this was reported a few years ago. Apparently some things don't change.
Wonder how this compares to other presidents?

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
They must be scheduled at the same time he's supposed to lay out his rug and pray towards Mecca.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I honestly don't even know what to say. This is/has been a do nothing President that will use whatever excuse he can find to avoid responsibility. He has no plan, no idea what to do or how to even begin and to attend these briefings would expose his idiocy. He doesn't care what happens, as long as it puts more power in his hands.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

This is/has been a do nothing President that will use whatever excuse he can find to avoid responsibility.

How dare you spout such non-sense, he has done plenty to destroy America from the inside out and let's us not forget that he is great at making America look weak to outsiders.

And you accuse him of doing nothing, Ha.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Breitbart? That's a red flag... They're so freaking desperate! LOL And who is the GAI? (Hint: They want you to think they're the GAO)

The Government Accountability Institute (GAI) is a "a new conservative investigative research organization."[1] The GAI states as its mission "to investigate and expose crony capitalism, misuse of taxpayer monies, and other governmental corruption or malfeasance."[2]

The GAI has several ties to right-wing groups such as Citizens United, the American Conservative Union, Young America's Foundation, and the Hoover Institution

Source

Obama gets a daily briefing every day, regardless whether or not he attends the meeting.

Accusing Obama of "missing his daily briefings" is an old conservative trick. In fact, the GAI did this SAME THING in 2009. Here's the thread about that time. Seems the "GAI" is desperate to make Obama look bad, even though he reads his briefings every day! LOL
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here's the truth...

Obama religiously reads a written version of the same prepared material, often on a secure iPad (as seen in this official White House PHOTO). He often receives an in-person briefing in addition, aides note, as well as real-time national security updates during the day, both in the office and on the road.

“He does both all the time, all the time,” White House press secretary Jay Carney told reporters today. “And when he is here in Washington, he has briefings in person in the Oval Office with his national security team regularly. And when he is on the road, he has phone conversations that supplement and augment the briefings he receives on paper that are specific to the so-called PDB. I hardly think that is different from previous presidents.”

Aides say there is no evidence to suggest an in-person briefing is any more or less efficient or effective than the president’s consuming the material electronically or in print.

Source

And, now, back to your daily Obama-Bash thread. See FOX news and Daily Mail for additional updates!

edit on 9/30/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
More evidence for my theory that Obama is now completely and entirely a figurehead. He's given up after fighting during his first term. Bush was a willing figurehead. Obama was very unwilling. Now at the end of it all its hard to spot any difference between Bush and Obama besides skin color.

+9 more 
posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

You're right! How could we possibly even think of bashing His Majesty after all he's done for us!?
Look at all the jobs and people getting....off..... Welfa......
Let's look at the econ....
Ok, he's done a bang up job at.....at.....um......
Well, he's promoted racial equa.......
The price of gas........

Bush did it!!

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
You're right! How could we possibly even think of bashing His Majesty after all he's done for us!?

Bash away! There's plenty to bash him about! But pretending that getting his daily briefings in computer form instead of attending the actual meetings is NOT something that even makes sense! It's a VERY DESPERATE and transparent attempt by the right-wing rags (and right-wingers in general) to make it appear that he's clueless. It's 2014! A person doesn't have to be in the same room to communicate with others anymore.

Slow news day on ATS...

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
It's no problem.

He has his staff attend sometimes and the staff reads the reports.

Then they verbally report what they think is important.

Obama is a great taker of advice.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Battleline
What does Obama need with daily Intel briefing's when he has his news paper waiting for him in his golf cart.
Well if he listens during the 42% he is there he is doing better than Bush who didn't listen to warnings of 9/11 and btw took many more vacations than Obama. Right wing memories are very selective apparently.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

If you miss half of your intelligence briefing...Does this make you a half wit?

Seems plausible to me.

Peace

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
This reminds me of the coffee cup salute.

They said he reads it on his IPad.

The guy has screwed up everything he touches.

There are huge issues out there...This is not one of them.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

I guess it compares to Bush Jr.s not getting the memo about the possible attacks on the world trade center,hold on to your butts.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
Bash away! There's plenty to bash him about! But pretending that getting his daily briefings in computer form instead of attending the actual meetings is NOT something that even makes sense! It's a VERY DESPERATE and transparent attempt by the right-wing rags (and right-wingers in general) to make it appear that he's clueless. It's 2014! A person doesn't have to be in the same room to communicate with others anymore.

Slow news day on ATS...

I think you're both right and wrong. Big deal reading between reading them and attending a brief? Maybe not most of the time. Having attended briefings before (though obviously not at the NSC level), I think a key benefit you're missing if you just read a brief while sitting on the pot is the ability to say, "wait, run that by me again..." or "what does that mean specifically as it relates to..." and get an instant answer. You don't have to say, "I'll have to remember to run that by John when I see him next". The brief is a chance for information to trickle up, and a meeting provides interaction and a better chance to get answers if you're looking for them. It's easy for someone not to hazard an unpopular opinion or hunch in a written brief. It's a lot harder for that person not to tell you something which may be important when you ask them from across the desk looking them eye to eye. Some of those things could end up being critical some day. It is afterall an intelligence briefing for the POTUS, not a brief on the financial status of mom and pop's diner.

To your second point, if the current POTUS was even half as dedicated to demonstrating he had a clue as his political opposition has been to showing he doesn't, everyone would no doubt be happier.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Being such an unpopular president, I don't blame Obama for being absent for, well almost everything he can.

When an indruder can get inside the Whitehouse and through several rooms, it has to leave the president a bit paranoid.

It's got to be a difficult task being one of the worst presidents ever.

Besides, every day is a good day for golf.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: _Del_

eh; as I see it, there isn't much of a point. try to counter it, they'll find something else to gripe about. brietbart is yellow journalism, it's like a political tabloid.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I wouldn't say this is a plot to make him look bad, his administration has said time and time again, they first heard about important items "from news reports" that kinda speaks volumes alone.

Maybe his most important daily briefing comes from MSNBC, CNN, etc?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join