It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parliament votes to launch Airstrikes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
BBC

Parliament has just voted to approve the use of British jets in airstrikes in Iraq, not in Syria (yet)

Ive been watching the debate thisafternoon and some interesting points have been raised, both for and against, Whilst I agree that ISIS/ISIL, whatever they call themselves, need to be stopped, im not sure that airstrikes only will get the job done, sure they'll have a big impact, but to flush out every last remnant of ISIS, I cant see any other way than boots on the ground, which I don't support.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
You beat me to it by seconds.

The moton limits strikes to Iraq only and any actions in Syria would need a seperate resolution.

The Tornado's we have in region could be used as early as the weekend - I also wonder if they'll use the Typhoons in a swing role as well.

Time will tell on how this pans out, but I have no problem with British armed forces going after cold blooded murderers at all.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Isn't it strange that a county that still has a monarchy had an open debate on this issue, while a country that is a "democracy" decided to pass on the debate and give all power to the Dear Leader until January?

Step it up, America. Demand a full hearing and debate from our representatives, recall them from the campaign trail. Let's at least do the bare minimum here and give this some thought.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
David Cameron stated that IS is a threat that will almost border with a NATO ally...

So maybe they'll let IS take ground so troops can be sent in on foot...
They should do so anyways whether IS gain more ground or not...

I'd have voted Yes...
I'm glad they did, & I'm glad it's limited to Iraq who asked for assistance...
If Syria ask, then vote Yes again, but I feel boots are needed, it's what Army's are for surely!
edit on 26-9-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: neformore

I think its inevitable that we will end up carrying out strikes in Syria though, and I think we should, as you say, I have no problem with British forces going after cold blooded murderers, I agree!

I just cant see airstrikes alone completely wiping out ISIS, lets see how it pans out

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
This is just some crazy stuff.

I wish I knew what was REALLY going on. Maybe I am just being paranoid but my gut feeling remains the same.

Resources are the top priority, not saving lives.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: neformore

Interesting point on the use of Typhoons, according to the news we have only 6 Tornados on standby in Cyprus already, im sure some aircraft experts will be along soon to explain why the Tornado would be preferred over the Typhoon, range? missile/bomb capacity? some other reason?

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
So it looks like the US/France/Iraq will be joined by the UK, Belgium, Netherlands, Canada and Australia in airsrikes in Iraq. While in Syria it looks to be the US/Saudi Arabia/Bahrain/UAE/Jordan/Qatar most likely to be joined by France. Before all is said and done I would not be suprised to see Egypt and a couple of other NATO members join in as well in one place or the other.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I wish I knew what was REALLY going on too

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Well,
now IS has a target to shoot down from inside the Syrian border...

"Someone in Syria shot down our plane! Thanks for leaving hardware behind; cough cough."

Without the hardware left behind this scenario can not play out, but,
we will see it come to fruition due to all sides cooperating with each other.

It's like a song that writes itself.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I remember the WMD threat and the 'intelligence' that we had last time, this feels very much like that.
The US is already dropping bombs over Baghdad, now you guys are about to join in.
I'm getting a serious sense of Deja Vu.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Its all about the Qatar pipeline that the emir wants to build the answers are clear.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   

(post by pantene444 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
There's a debate right now on Radio 3's Question time.

Like one of the panelist remarked, this will only make matters worse and cause IS to gather more support.
How exactly does IS pose a direct threat to the UK?

And does IS have clear HQ, training camps etc or are we just going to bomb any old building and risk the murder of
innocent civilians like the 1000s killed in Afghanistan?

When innocent civilians are killed by the West, we call it collateral, and when it's done by the 'terrorists' it's a despicable act of evil.

There is no plan to this airstrike. It makes little to no sense. A war on terrorism has no end and no achievable objective.

Good job MPs - Well fu@#king done.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: ukmicky1980
BBC

Parliament has just voted to approve the use of British jets in airstrikes in Iraq, not in Syria (yet)

...and as soon as the bad guys set up in civilian neighbourhoods..."Oh No...we didn't see that coming! Now we'll have to use ground troops to ferret them out."
Surprise, surprise!
edit on 26-9-2014 by JohnnyCanuck because: ...just because.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
A war on terrorism has no end and no achievable objective.

Similar and unfortunate, qualities are shared by CIA and CSIS but nobody cares about that. Only they care and that's ok. Losers are people too.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join