It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian planes intercepted near U.S., Canadian airspace

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Ya couldn't find the other event I was speaking in my thread history, must have came up off topic in another one.
Tried to find it on google couldn't come up with the exact event but found this
en.academic.ru...

Has just one of the russian planes and a list of encounters and this type of thing has been happening for years

Here is one

29 September 2006 — NORAD scrambled Canadian CF-18s from CFB Cold Lake in Central Alberta and American F-15s out of an airbase in Alaska to intercept "a number of the Russian Tu-95 Bear heavy bombers participating in an annual Russian air force exercise near the coast of Alaska and Canada." This launch was a result of the bombers penetrating the North American Air Defense Identification Zone (ADIZ). [ [www.forces.gc.ca... DND/CF | News Release | NORAD intercepts Russian aircraft ] ]

Almost 8 years ago and its almost the same story
edit on thFri, 19 Sep 2014 20:12:23 -0500America/Chicago920142380 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

edit on thFri, 19 Sep 2014 20:13:06 -0500America/Chicago920140680 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: NonsensicalUserName

My father built fighters at McDonnell Douglas and he worked on the harpoon missile guidance systems and all the space shuttles, I was raised around military aircraft and his ex NASA friends and other engineers and machinists. I usually don't participate on the Aircraft threads but ... this peaked my interests. The cat and mouse game they play was one of his interests.

link   

originally posted by: NonsensicalUserName
a reply to: LDragonFire

eh; the US and canada constantly fly near their airspace, or china's airspace, or over pakistan, and other countries airspace.

or we sail close off their coastlines.

Bear's are very loud too, props spin backward/opposite directions from each other.
edit on 9/19/2014 by AllSourceIntel because: clarity

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: AllSourceIntel

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock
a reply to: Sremmos80

Every time this happens people say "it happens all the time", but it definitely getting more aggressive...50 miles off the coast is pretty close. It is escalating for sure and there are reports of Russian planes doing similar exercises in Europe. Someone is itching for a fight lol.

That is because it is very common, and any increases in intensity doesn't mean someone is itching for war. It needs to be understood that countries communicate with each other through their militaries as well. That is what Russia is din in addition to testing our reaction, security, etc another poster noted.

We have been expecting this for several years. Same as we are expecting their Navy to deploy more and more as they have.

Ok but the difference is Russia has troops amassed and invading Ukraine for debatable reasons. The difference is this isn't some peace time random bs... Soldiers are dying in the Ukraine on both sides...they are at war. There is a war going on. If this was 2 years ago id say..."ya man they do this all the time". But it is definitely more aggressive.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

It's training. The Russian Air Force has fallen into very hard times, and now they're working hard to get back to being able to fly long range patrols and missions, and force project. The only way to do that is to actually FLY those long range missions.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   

And you think those things weren't happening before? Russia invaded Afghanistan, both sides almost launched nuclear weapons on each other, etc.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
These incursions happen all the time.

The only thing different is the government releasing the info to the MSM in order to wind up the electorate.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Another thing for people to blow out of proportion. This is not an act of aggression by any means, and this is something the US does all the time. The Russians were in International airspace if they were that far from the coast and not in their own airspace, so to say we "intercepted" them is misleading. When I think of the term intercept I think "engage," which is not what occurred. Russian planes are flying in a place they are perfectly justified in being, yet we "intercepted" them? Looking at it that way makes me wonder why we intercepted them in the first place? Generally this is done on the chance that such aircraft are planning on entering our airspace, and getting close to our airspace it is probably procedure to scramble aircraft. But there is nothing nefarious about this. Like I said, the US does it all around the world.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I believe that Homefront the videogame, was a warning.

Watch the introduction of that game. Look familiar? Only thing is, that is about NK coming to get us.

Well...WW3 doom born a coming, lol.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Time to station a couple of aegis cruisers out there....50 miles is past the 200 mile exclusion zone, and too close for comfort since they carry cruise missiles.....shoot a couple down theyll stop coming so close I suspect....

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: stirling

Jeez. You want to shoot down a couple jets with the hope that if that is done then they will stop flying so close?

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: stirling
Time to station a couple of aegis cruisers out there....50 miles is past the 200 mile exclusion zone, and too close for comfort since they carry cruise missiles.....shoot a couple down theyll stop coming so close I suspect....

Please note the 200 nautical miles Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) is not the same as the 12 nautical miles of Territorial Waters (TTW), the latter of which airspace is under sovereign control. Anything outside of 12 nautical miles is international waters and airspace for civilian and military vessels and aircraft. Any civilian or military vessel conducting mining and fishing or other economic activities is when the EEZ applies.

Yes, let us shoot a couple down in international airspace under no threat and start a war for nothing. Way to go ballistic Mav!
edit on 9/20/2014 by AllSourceIntel because: spelling & grammar

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 02:55 AM
link   
This just seems to me like business as usual? Russia is training their pilots while simultaneously sending a message that they have long range strike capability should it ever be needed.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: AllSourceIntel
a reply to: buddah6
Oh, I am not worried, I watched Russia for 6 years, China too.

I started watching in 1968! There's nothing new here! We do the same thing but it doesn't get in the press.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

You are the expert on all things air my friend I wont argue with that but I have personally never seen that many aircraft on a training mission to the border. Maybe I need to pay attention more. I have also never seen the frequency this high either but that could be the media's fault for deciding to report it now for dramatic effect.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

And one more thing. This is a different time man. We moved soldiers over to do training exercises in the region. Poland, Ukraine and one other made a military pact to do "training". Things are escalating. I'm not saying there will be a war outside of Ukraine but if you ignore everything and say it is all good well that is just silly.

I remember before the Iraq invasion I was working on a military base as a civilian. America was amassing troops all around Iraq and not being coy about it. People back then were still saying "there wont be a war", "they do this all the time". One of the easiest ways to get classified info is to follow the troops. 9 times out of 10 we will be wrong in our guesses but to have a war you need to amass troops first. Troops are amassed in the Ukraine and there is a war going on there, light, but nevertheless a war.

If you then start adding in other variables like economy and the attempted shift away from the petro dollar yada yada it makes the situation possibly more unstable.

Tell me this...what more could be happening to show signs of an incoming war? Russia is purposely flexing right now. Every war I have seen in my life does 3 things first that I have seen. 1. everyone starts bad mouthing each other, propaganda against your enemy 2. amass troops 3. silence before the initial attack.

This is all my opinion from my experiences. I think the situation is gravely worse then ATS does and I hope I am wrong in this.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Is that a big force? Only 2 jets, surely the US got enough fire power to take those planes out

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   

I've heard of as many as twenty in recent years near other countries.

Yes it's a different time, but I suggest a good hard look at the Russian military. With the exception of missiles the Russian military is good for a limited regional conflict right now. They're in the process of improving and modernizing, but their best bombers (all 20 of them), won't be up to modern standards until 2020 or beyond.

There was a report released a few years ago where even the Russian commanders said that if they gave a major war, Russia could barely show up. They had a few air units, two or three ground units, and their missile forces that had their entire TO&E, and the training to even get to the fight.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I will admit that im a doomsdayer and am always lookin for a global reset to occur. But A global nuclear war with russia isnt part of that scenario. Nor do I believe that russia is at all interested in that sort of fight with the US. Since I believe China is a russian ally, They would loose the most in that war financially and we all should know this world is run by the bean counters. I am in agreement that this was just a exorcise not a taunting.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Thefarmer

One F-22 can take out all those planes. The reason behind this exercise may be Putin scaring our president and linguine spine politicians. The Russian only understand overwhelming brutal force...it keeps them honest. They are very quick to see weakness coming from Washington today.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join