It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian planes intercepted near U.S., Canadian airspace

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   

(CNN) -- Two U.S. jets intercepted six Russian planes that neared U.S. airspace off Alaska on Thursday and Canadian planes intercepted two Russian bombers that approached Canadian airspace, NORAD reported.

A U.S. official told CNN's Barbara Starr that officials in Washington think the incidents were related to the visit by Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko, who talked to Canadian officials Wednesday and President Barack Obama on Thursday. The United States promised Ukraine $46 million in nonlethal aid for its battle with pro-Russian militants.

The Russian aircraft flew within about 55 nautical miles of the Alaskan coastline and about 40 nautical miles of the Canadian coastline, said Capt. Jeff Davis of the North American Aerospace Defense Command, or NORAD.

CNN

I really have to wonder what game Putin is playing? Perhaps we should remind them we have the surrounded with bases. If we started flying planes towards there airspace from multiple direction I wonder how that would make them feel? Once again the world is starting to seem a little more dangerous. I'm assuming Russia is upset that we will start targeting ISIS in Syria??? Or upset we are supporting Ukraine?
edit on 19-9-2014 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   
This is an old event isn't it?
And they didn't enter our space, barely entered the space we have to Id the planes.
This happens all the time from what I read when I first heard about this

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
They are testing the security/vulnerability of these areas...they have done other flybys like this in other parts of the world lately as well.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Top story on CNN right now, two separate groups 2 Russian tankers aircraft, 2 fighters and 2 bombers intercepted by the US and 2 more bombers intercepted by Canada.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Every time this happens people say "it happens all the time", but it definitely getting more aggressive...50 miles off the coast is pretty close. It is escalating for sure and there are reports of Russian planes doing similar exercises in Europe. Someone is itching for a fight lol.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   

It happened on Thursday, from the OP source:

Two U.S. jets intercepted six Russian planes that neared U.S. airspace off Alaska on Thursday...

There was also just a Russian spy satellite that "fell" and was spotted by people along the west coast. Wonder if these events are related?

The object probably was a piece of Russia’s Cosmos 2495 reconnaissance satellite, launched in May, said Charles Vick, an aerospace analyst with military information website Globalsecurity.org. Cosmos 2495 was designed to shoot reconnaissance photos and send the film back to Earth in capsules.

Fireball Spotted Over U.S. Likely Part of a Russian Spy Satellite

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
In the UK this is almost commonplace so wouldn't read anything into it. They fly close to us we fly close to them its been going on what seems like almost forever. Heres an example: www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 19-9-2014 by 18731542 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire
He is wondering if the U.S. is feeling as nostalgic as he is. These flights were very common in the Cold War and Russia started doing them sporadically in the early 2000's that have steadily increased each year and picking up intensity since Ukraine. Media and politicians make it a big deal because they haven't seen it in years. Military has been expecting the return of this activity and behaviour for a the better part of a decade now.

He is actually communicating to our top brass that Russia is still capable of conducting a large scale coordinated attack on major cities on the U.S. Eastern and Western coasts and interior. While they are not flying that close or far down the coasts, they will usually fly long enough prior or following coming our way to simulate the actual round trip distance.

And yes, we are likely doing similar manoeuvres. You answered how they would feel in your OP.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   
During the cold war it was a cat and mouse game we played with them all the time, but now? Putin is sucking up all the exposure he can get. I have read that the people of Russia loves this tough stand he is taking against the West, or the US, he is polling high over the Ukraine situation so I expect more.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
This is an old event isn't it?
And they didn't enter our space, barely entered the space we have to Id the planes.
This happens all the time from what I read when I first heard about this

If earlier today is old? Do you have information we may not?

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   

It happens several times a year that Dutch fighters intercept Russian bombers close by.

It probably has to do with the big Russian exercises in The East :

MOSCOW, September 19. /ITAR-TASS/.A strategic command and staff exercise code-named Vostok 2014 (East 2014) with about 100,000 troops participating began in the Eastern Military District on Friday, the Defence Ministry said. “About 100,000 servicemen, up to 1,500 tanks, 120 aircraft, 5,000 pieces of weaponry, military and special hardware, and 70 ships will take part in the exercises,” it said.

en.itar-tass.com...

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire

(CNN) -- Two U.S. jets intercepted six Russian planes that neared U.S. airspace off Alaska on Thursday and Canadian planes intercepted two Russian bombers that approached Canadian airspace, NORAD reported.

A U.S. official told CNN's Barbara Starr that officials in Washington think the incidents were related to the visit by Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko, who talked to Canadian officials Wednesday and President Barack Obama on Thursday. The United States promised Ukraine $46 million in nonlethal aid for its battle with pro-Russian militants.

The Russian aircraft flew within about 55 nautical miles of the Alaskan coastline and about 40 nautical miles of the Canadian coastline, said Capt. Jeff Davis of the North American Aerospace Defense Command, or NORAD.

CNN

I really have to wonder what game Putin is playing? Perhaps we should remind them we have the surrounded with bases. If we started flying planes towards there airspace from multiple direction I wonder how that would make them feel? Once again the world is starting to seem a little more dangerous. I'm assuming Russia is upset that we will start targeting ISIS in Syria??? Or upset we are supporting Ukraine?

I really don't think Russia is even slightly intimidated by the US. Western media likes to bump up US military might but it seems to be hot-air and Russia knows it.

How would the US like it if Russia started a coup in Mexico backed a pro-Iranian to take over?

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock

Every time this happens people say "it happens all the time", but it definitely getting more aggressive...50 miles off the coast is pretty close. It is escalating for sure and there are reports of Russian planes doing similar exercises in Europe. Someone is itching for a fight lol.

That is because it is very common, and any increases in intensity doesn't mean someone is itching for war. It needs to be understood that countries communicate with each other through their militaries as well. That is what Russia is din in addition to testing our reaction, security, etc another poster noted.

We have been expecting this for several years. Same as we are expecting their Navy to deploy more and more as they have.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I hope they bomb this evil nation into submission.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Here are the Russian Aircraft involved:
IL-78 refueling tanker

Mig-31 fighter jet

Bear long-range bomber

The tanker seems to be much more modern than there long range bomber.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: AllSourceIntel

The only time you need to worry is when the Russian aircraft are helicopters. That's when the # getting ready to hit the fan! No brag just fact!

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: LoneGunMan
I hope they bomb this evil nation into submission.

This is a VERY ignorant comment.....but I am sure you know that.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   

eh; the US and canada constantly fly near their airspace, or china's airspace, or over pakistan, and other countries airspace.

or we sail close off their coastlines.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   

eh; those are turbo-props on the bear-bomber... can give it better range/fuel consumption.. most of the time speed isn't what those airframes need it's cargo-carrying.

not like there's been a real need for a long-range heavy/superheavy bomber anyway...

this seems to be out of character for you, but idk..

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: buddah6
Oh, I am not worried, I watched Russia for 6 years, China too.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join