It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The trend continues in August; The World is Warming as NASA says hottest on record

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
In 130 years of record keeping, there hasn't been an August as hot as this last one on a worldwide scale...or a May...or a June either. All three months in 2014 were the hottest on record. This trend continues to follow the past couple of years, or last 20 years for that matter...that the world is indeed warming. Well, warming compared to the last couple of centuries of record keeping (shall we keep it simple for all ye skeptics). And let's not forget that March was the 3rd hottest ever since 1880.

August was hottest on record, according to NASA

Of course, NASA says not to read too much into it because we can't base everything off a single month and that we need to use long-term data, but I believe with all these records being broken, it's getting obvious that a trend continues. 2013 was labeled as one of the hottest years on record, right along with the other four years...all since 1998. The year 2012 was the hottest year on record for the United States.

14 of warmest years on record happened since 1998
2012 hottest US year by a whole degree

Despite the much cooler-than-usual temperatures in the central and eastern portions of the United States for this year, extreme heat persists in other areas. The western states have been experiencing heatwaves and severe droughts. This past Monday a devastating fire broke out in northern California that burned over 100 structures very quickly because it was so dry. This is one of a dozen forest fires raging in the parched state. These fires are considered to be a bad start very early in the fire season.

Spreading wildfires destroy 100 homes in besieged town

One tool that global warming skeptics use is the fact that Antarctic Sea Ice continues to increase. How could this be if we are warming? This new story from NASA ends with a small note about that...

Record temperatures up to 4C above normal have been recorded in west Antarctica, even as the extent of sea ice has reached record levels.

That's very interesting. Ice increases while they still have record warmth. Scientists believe that the increasing ice may even have to do with a global warming.

Perhaps the most important fact about the (slight) increase in total Antarctic sea ice extent is that it masks major and contrasting regional changes. For example, there has been a strong decrease in sea ice duration in the Bellingshausen Sea, while the duration has increased in the western Ross Sea. Such curiosities have led sea ice scientists to investigate several possible mechanisms, and explanations for these patterns are now starting to emerge.

And more from the article

The Amundsen Sea Low is a pattern of low atmospheric pressure in the Pacific part of the Southern Ocean, which drags warm air south and pushes cold air north. This southward flow of warm air meets Antarctica in the Bellingshausen Sea, explaining why ice in this area is now in decline. Meanwhile, the cold air is being pushed north from the western Ross Sea — where sea ice extent is increasing. So the Amundsen Sea Low can be used to explain at least two variations in Antarctic sea ice.

The Southern Annular Mode (also called the Antarctic Oscillation) is a term that describes the north-south position of the westerly wind belt that encircles Antarctica in the Southern Ocean. These winds are known variously as the “roaring 40s”, “furious 50s”, and “screaming 60s” depending on their latitude, and when they meet sea ice they drive it northwards (away from Antarctica). Like many other climate patterns (such as El Niño/La Niña), SAM has “positive” and “negative” phases. A positive SAM pushes the winds south to higher latitudes, meaning they encounter more sea ice, pushing more of it northwards and increasing the total ice extent. The Amundsen Sea Low also strengthens with the Southern Annular Mode’s positive phase. The mode has been strongly positive over the past three decades, helping to explain the overall increase in Antarctic sea ice extent, as well as the regional variations.

But that isn’t global warming … or is it?

Here’s the kicker: The strengthening of SAM over recent decades has been directly linked to human activity. Since the 1940s, ozone depletion and increasing greenhouse gases have caused the westerly winds to intensify and migrate south toward Antarctica.

Source article

I'll close out with this link on a global weather summary for August. It was indeed a hot month around the planet and it also had its fair share of wicked weather, not to mention the unprecedented flooding worldwide...Japan, Bosnia, Croatia, Pakistan, India, Thailand, Bangladesh, the United States and Italy to name a few.

August 2014 Global Weather Extremes Summary

It's getting more difficult by the "month" to deny that our world is warming!

+26 more 
posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Hold on didn't you guys just have one of the coldest winters in decades?

Oh also they are predicting another freezing winter this year. So which is it global warming or cooling, you can't pick and choose.
edit on 16-9-2014 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAZ21

In an attempt to get up a silly fast post for stars, it's obvious you didn't read the OP.

I, in my little neck of the woods, am not the WORLD

+11 more 
posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: DAZ21
I darned near turned my heat on the night before last.
It was down in the 40's (fahrenheit, sorry).
I would appreciate global warming more if it was tending to warm me.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Damn, maybe I should think of moving somewhere else where this global warming is actually working. It was thirty two degrees F here this morning. We turned on the furnace three days ago and it has been running. I also built a fire in the kitchen wood stove a couple of times to heat the house up and get the moisture out of the air. It's up to about fifty six degrees now though and the sun is shining so I shouldn't complain. I have winter clothes to put on.

+38 more 
posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper

In an attempt to get up a silly fast post for stars, it's obvious you didn't read the OP.

Pfft...I couldn't give a damn about stars thanks.

I am just a staunch believer against global warming, and hate to see lies spread about.

And yes I read your thread, it took me two minutes, I'm a fast reader.

It was a mild summer here in the UK. Nothing spectacular.

You can't just pluck a month from decades or even centuries and because it happened to be hot in most places across the globe that the world is heating up.

Maybe it was a random event and just happened to be a hot month. People like you need to stop scare mongering people.

Also to add, do you know how much of an influence the jet stream has on US and UK weather? Depending on the position certain weather patterns get blocked. Maybe this was why the US had an unusually hot summer while here in the UK it was at one point freezing.
edit on 16-9-2014 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
N.E. reporting in here and it was a cooler then normal summer .It's darn right cool today .Usually the cool only starts around Halloween in my neck of the woods .No Mosquitoes though and that is always a good thing . ETA Bob Tisdale has a good post up over at WUWT and all the graphs ans specific adjustments to the metrics they are constantly changing .. wattsupwiththat.com... Good thing there are people that actually know what is being said in the data .
edit on 16-9-2014 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

My personal experience this year. It has been warmer each summer but had no problems with my garden, til this summer. I have been planting a garden in my backyard since I was four, so 60 years. We have no water shortage here. But, no matter how much water or what system I used, my garden could not survive the heat. We had 20 days straight of 103-107 degrees in the North.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Out here one the west, it seems to me that we have had of one of the mildest summers I can remember. It would be nice if we knew who is suffering from all these heat wave, Arizona's not. I am just a stupid American, so maybe the rest of the world could ring in, it would help me if I could here from some of those that are dealing with record temperatures.
Thanks!

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Yea it seems that you are in a crazy zone .lots of rain and drought .Your area really changes with the nino lanada effect of the Pacific . Do you have many Mosquitoes ? a reply to: MOMof3

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

No. But more flies than I have ever experienced at one time. We don't have much still water here. Running rivers, but dams further up.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
If i'm not mistaken the heat is transferred into the ocean by rain, and rain is does.

All this year has been a constant wave of torrential rain covering all of the country ( Denmark ).

Normally we get a couple of local thunder storms that gives some rain and maybe some local flooding in risc areas, now we get torrential showers and every area is at risk of flooding.

It's so bad that insurance companies have come out and said that people living in risc areas will not be covered anymore as they are constantly flooded.

Translated that means, "Back in time you were insured as it was rare now you are not as it is constant".

The climate is changing and it's changing with the speed of a train.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: onthedownlow
Out here one the west, it seems to me that we have had of one of the mildest summers I can remember. It would be nice if we knew who is suffering from all these heat wave, Arizona's not. I am just a stupid American, so maybe the rest of the world could ring in, it would help me if I could here from some of those that are dealing with record temperatures.
Thanks!

I believe its California and more the northwest like Oregon, Washington, Utah...

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
N.E. reporting in here and it was a cooler then normal summer .It's darn right cool today .Usually the cool only starts around Halloween in my neck of the woods .No Mosquitoes though and that is always a good thing . ETA Bob Tisdale has a good post up over at WUWT and all the graphs ans specific adjustments to the metrics they are constantly changing .. wattsupwiththat.com... Good thing there are people that actually know what is being said in the data .

We had major construction going on here at "Casa De MG" all summer and I have to tell you it has been very cool. According to the workers the coolest in many years. Beautiful Williamsburg, Virginia.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I'm still trying to warm up after last winter.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I find it interesting that the Atlantic has just developed its first hurricane "Edouard" while the Pacific has had an unusually active season. Almost like a shifting in activity this year. All weather patterns have had significant changes in recent years. Maybe this isn't a question of Global "Warming", but a question of Climate Change which can be natural in some cases. I do believe greenhouse gasses are responsible for some of these changes and intensify the erratic behavior of our atmosphere.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I love it out how deniers love to say..."Hey, I had to nearly turn up the heat, so you're climate change is full of BS," lol, as if they represent the entire world. The point is people, it's warming on a global scale, not in your neighborhood, or, maybe it is in your neighborhood. IDK, I'm just providing plenty of links to show that there is a trend and whether you choose to believe or not (keep your heads in the sand) then that is entirely up to you. How the folks like NASA, NOAA, weather channel, who are actually watching and keeping these records can make it up and lie when ever since the late 90's, average temps have consistently been higher than the 100 years before that, IDK. I think you should keep taking one guys word for it (at WUWT) over all these climate scientists and meteorologists, yeah, that's the best argument for your denial. lol.

+6 more 
posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper

I apologize, but I had to give him a star just for pissing you off.

Yep, lets use data from one month and call it a trend. Sounds about right.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

As I just said though, this isn't data from one month. I provided the links, whether you choose to read them or ignore them is entirely up to you. Of course, your mind is made up and that's that. We can argue till we're blue in the face but we both know where that will get us...absolutely no where. You'll still buy into the big oil and gas (republican) agenda that global warming is a farce, and I'll still believe that the denial is all about the money because it isn't too hard to see things are a changing...just have to watch the news.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

It didn't really get hot here in the OK until August. It's been cooling down since about a week or so ago. It's about average for this time of year. We're still in a drought, but everything is green and more rain is forecasted. Nothing really out of the ordinary here. Though, we did have the hottest summer in 70 years about 2 or 3 years ago. The record for hottest summer was in the 1930's. So it has happened before.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join