It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MI county sells injured mom’s home over one tax bill, and will keep extra $80,000 profit

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
www.rawstory.com...

Michigan mother says that she is devastated because Kalamazoo County is foreclosing on her home after brain bruises from a car accident caused her to miss a single tax payment two years ago.

Deborah Calley told WITI that she paid cash for her dream home in 2010. She had thought that it would make raising two children easier while she was recovering from the traumatic car accident.

But that dream was shattered when she was notified that the county

Is this a glimpse into the future? Where banks and corporations have complete power over the individual?

Calley has offered to pay her back taxes, but the county has said that it is now too late. And to make matters worse, the county will also keep all profits from auctioning her home. The highest bid so far has been $80,000.

Work, consume, pay your taxes, fight the wars, and stfu. The neo conservatives wet dream realized; all according to plan.

answers.yahoo.com...
www.globalresearch.ca...
www.conservapedia.com...

edit on 16-9-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Each day, a small piece of America the meme falls apart. Land of the free? The brave? Democracy? Morality? Respect for human life?

All squandered by the authoritarian class and passive subjects.

There isn't much left really except religious extremism, racism and money worship to hold the nation together. So I guess the US will break into smaller pieces. There is no social "glue".
edit on 16-9-2014 by InverseLookingGlass because: spelling

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
We heard about this last night. Apparently, after the missed tax payment, she went on to pay others. I think this falls on the people who didn't bother to say "Hey, you missed a payment in Year XYZ, want to catch up while you're here?" No excuse to not tell her when she's already in there paying other years' bills, too. They need to drop this like a bad fad right now, and let her pay it off and carry on. There was obviously NO malicious skimping of taxes intended since she was paying on subsequent years afterward, too.

It takes a special kind of butthole to take tax money for several years, not say anything about the one missed, and then levy blame.
edit on 9/16/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   
she should burn it to the ground (well thats what id do)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Tax Deed auctions have an order of dispersal that includes the owner.
So if the injured mom had a tax bill of $3000 and the house sold for $80000 she would receive $77000.
Doesn't quite make sense unless you are talking about market value disparities.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
How many examples do we need of the heartlessness and cruelty of these creatures, before people get a revelation?

Your "owners" don't care about you. All they care about is how well they can live off of you.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
This was quite common in Montgomery County, Maryland when I was stationed there. There were a lot of small houses built in the area during and shortly after WWII to support the DC defense industry and war effort. Many people bought those homes when they were built "way out in the boonies" at the time.

50 years later, those same people had retired and were living in those houses but the County became a rich suburb of DC and land values skyrocketed and those old pensioners could not afford the taxes on the homes that had been paid for free and clear for decades once they were "re-valued" by the state at current land values. A lot lost their homes due to heavy taxation.

Think on that when you vote to raise taxes for one project or another.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I wonder why so many people are going postal these days, they would have to rebuild on the ashes if the story is true about keeping all funds over the original bill.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
In the UK, if you don't pay your council tax on time, they send in the bailiffs.

Students are exempt, but one time my college failed to send in the official list of students to the council tax department and a list of names along with my own was sent to the bailiffs office. I had to rush down to their office before the official deadline. Fortunately, they had put my name/address on it's own separate tray because it wasn't in any area they had ever visited.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
The government should not be able to do that. She paid her taxes after that, they should have notified her properly, after all they have her address. Now, I think that she should get a lawyer and sue the county for their mistake. For a million bucks so they don't do things like that to other people ever again.

It is evident that she did not know she had erred, it is not like people who withhold paying their taxes till the last minute. I had an incident like that where I hadn't paid the summer tax one year and they sent me a notice three years later that they were going to sell the place. I had all the taxes paid up to date after that. In Michigan you used to have a year to pay your taxes after the sale. I don't think that county has the right to do that.

We need to look at these laws and straighten them out. Seems like there has been some meddling by deceitful people to our legal system over the last ten years.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Yeah, something is rotten in Denmark. Makes you wonder if the tax assessor has a brother in law in real estate or something.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
They should've told her that she missed a payment. But that would be helping someone and using common decency, and as most of us know, banks are not about that. THIS is where all people should gather at this bank and force them to return this lady's property and pay her a chunk of money for the inconvenience. This is a dirty tactic that Americans should not tolerate. This is one of the rare times that I would support a riot. banker scum lawyer scum politician scum pharma scum corporate scum wall street scum - there's scum everywhere!

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Greetings- Are Y'all aware of BofA™ getting fined $32M for foreclosing on people's houses illegally? I saw that here in Flori-Duh, the State was going to receive $330M of the fine and for the person that had their house foreclosed illegally, they averaged $1400 as a settlement.

It was just in the news that BofA™ is getting to write off $6B for "taxes"...

Is that YOUR Alarm? Wakie Wakie

namaste

Edit: spelling.
edit on 16-9-2014 by JimNasium because: spelling err, but more 'auto correct'

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I think I would be blowing up Carl Levin's phone...MI state senator, and hiring Jeffery Fieger...Jack Kevorkian's (doctor death) atty.

So foreclosed on for back taxes must be way different than foreclosed on for just not making payments? I have been wanting to buy a foreclosed home for seems like a year now. The owner got a 6 month redemption period, then an eviction notice...now well and septic tests but that is beside the point of the OP...

Kalamazoo co. though hits pretty close to home. Worked many buildings there...

Good luck to her

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I think this woman needs to hold one of those expensive candle parties. With lots of woman drinking lots of wine.

And since this isn't her home anymore, why should she worry about anything other than her friends getting out safely?

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Burn it to the ground.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Work, consume, pay your taxes, fight the wars, and stfu. The neo conservatives wet dream realized; all according to plan.

answers.yahoo.com...
www.globalresearch.ca...
www.conservapedia.com...

You do realize that Kalamazoo County is overwhelmingly Democrat right?
elections.nytimes.com...

56.2% DNC vs. 42.9% GOP (and 1% Other)

But you failed to look past the big picture. In this case I would say that the Neo-Libs (AKA Progressives) are getting what they want.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimNasium
Greetings- Are Y'all aware of BofA™ getting fined $32M for foreclosing on people's houses illegally? I saw that here in Flori-Duh, the State was going to receive $330M of the fine and for the person that had their house foreclosed illegally, they averaged $1400 as a settlement.

It was just in the news that BofA™ is getting to write off $6B for "taxes"...

Is that YOUR Alarm? Wakie Wakie

namaste

Edit: spelling.

This wasn't a bank doing this to this lady, it was the government and it was not for a loan, it was for taxes. "We're from the government, we're here to help you."
edit on 16-9-2014 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Situations such as this make me lean more toward a RV, but Holy Crap are they expensive!

Maybe a Park Model on a small track of land where the taxes can be paid in advance? Basically because, after I die, I won't care who gets it.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

My apologies. I just lumped ALL of "them" into the same trash bin. I'd opine there is more of a space/buffer between those rocks in Puma Punku than there is between the U.S. banks and U.S. Gov't. Giorgio can't even put a piece of paper betwixt the large boulders...

And in the case I cited, which aired on 60Minutes™, occurred in the real estate boom of the early 2000s when the banks were approving ALL the loans and couldn't keep up with the paperwork. Then when the economy went in the toilet the banks, separate of the Gov't. went after folks' houses.

To paraphrase Neil Young "They give You this, but You pay for that"

It won't change until "We" (the citizen) have had enough, but because "They" have 'most' so distracted they don't know whether to shiite or wind their watch, it doesn't bode well for Us, "pessimistic optimist" or versa-visa...

"They" are ALL crooked!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join