It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In light of the Adrian Peterson fiasco, I would like to discuss corporal punishment of children.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Mods: I really don't know where this subject belongs. If appropriate, please move.

First of all I will come with some background. Back when I was a kid beatings with belts and other instruments was a common occurrence. I was physically punished as a child, and as a very young child. I remember being fearful of my parents but loving them at the same time. It got to the point that I remember thinking as a child: "I will never do this to my kids". Or something like that.

I don't want to tell a sad story but as a young adult, I had such a low opinion of children. It is what I had been taught. They are bothersome, they get in the way..... and so on and so forth. They really didn't have much value in the scheme of things.

Then I had my first child. A son. A beautiful child. A gift. I never raised a hand to him. EVER. Nor was it necessary. I found other ways to teach him. NOT DISCIPLINE him. It just came natural. It was instinctive. He is a fine upstanding adult with a college education and a new wife and a wonderful career.

I had my second child.......same thing.

There is never a reason on this earth to hit a child. Today I saw this article about the percentage of people that think it is ok to hit kids. I don't know if you saw these articles, but it makes me sick to my stomach.

When you beat a kid, you only make him afraid of you. It causes suppressed anger that comes out later.

I guess I am in the minority. And I enjoy being there.
edit on 16-9-2014 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 03:34 AM
link   
a reply to: GrantedBail

I'll tell you from my experience. My mom beat my butt, and by butt I mean my actual butt, when I did something wrong. I never felt abused or any of that. But, I knew I could never do what I did again that caused me to get my butt beat.

Children who get put in time out with no consequences turn out to be assholes and usually get beat up by others who are tired of their snobby attitudes.

E2A, I was an asshole child and my parents taught me not to be. And, I appreciate they did.
edit on 9/16/2014 by OptimusCrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Kudos to you, GB, and I mean that sincerely.

No real parent takes pleasure in disciplining their child. Some of us could probably take a lesson from you. I whooped my son's ass when he earned one, and though he's insisted it was deserved, I've tried to impress upon him it was still wrong. My daughter was one of those children who never required more than a good scolding.

My mom used to whip me with a coat hanger for waking her up on Saturday mornings. There's no sound more terrifying to this day than a wire slashing through the air.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 03:38 AM
link   
I appreciate your opinion. I respectfully disagree. Thank you for your reply.

a reply to: OptimusCrime

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 03:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

Kudos to you, GB, and I mean that sincerely.

No real parent takes pleasure in disciplining their child. Some of us could probably take a lesson from you. I whooped my son's ass when he earned one, and though he's insisted it was deserved, I've tried to impress upon him it was still wrong. My daughter was one of those children who never required more than a good scolding.

My mom used to whip me with a coat hanger for waking her up on Saturday mornings. There's no sound more terrifying to this day than a wire slashing through the air.

I coat hanger is kind of harsh, I got the wooden spoon on my butt then was told to stay in my room until I could come out and explain why I got the spoon. I always knew why I was acting like an asshole, and after I told them why I did wrong, I got a hug and usually some other reward. Was a learning experience.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 03:46 AM
link   
So much different than breaking skin and giving bloody lips. You aren't getting.it. A swat on the butt is one thing. When you leave marks it is a case for child protective services period!

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 03:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: GrantedBail
I appreciate your opinion. I respectfully disagree. Thank you for your reply.

It sounds to me you were beat pretty bad, more extreme than myself. Were you bad?

(post by GrantedBail removed for a manners violation)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Yes I was a horrible 6 year old. Don't go there. Don't be an idiot. It is not ok to beat a kid. What did he do? Dry out his play doh.

Here comes the names and you wonder why . . nevermind.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Yes I was a horrible 6 year old. Don't go there. Don't be an idiot. It is not ok to beat a kid. What did he do? Dry out his play doh.

I told you my experience and asked you a few questions, and you act like a nut calling me an idiot. If you don't want someone questioning you to see where you stand, don't post your bs. Sorry.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 03:54 AM
link   
ha ha ha. Does that mean you are gonna split from this thread. Aw...you will be so missed.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 03:55 AM
link   

ha ha ha. Does that mean you are gonna split from this thread. Aw...you will be so missed.

Split, you must have been born in, what, 1972?

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Look, obviously you were not a victim of corporal punishment that broke your skin and made you bleed. There is a huge difference from a swat on the butt and a beating. My discussion is not about an occasional swat on the rear end. My post is about abuse of a child. It is not necessary. What difference does it make when I was born?? Should I have said "bounce".

(post by OptimusCrime removed for a manners violation)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 04:07 AM
link   
There is seriously something wrong with you. You just called me a beeoch, without any cause at all. You are the one with the issues. I truly hope you seek some help. You really just went off.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 04:09 AM
link   

There is seriously something wrong with you. You just called me a beeoch, without any cause at all. You are the one with the issues. I truly hope you seek some help. You really just went off.

I'm sure you said "Don't be an idiot"? If you have the tits to insinuate I'm an idiot then I'm calling it how i see it. Not to mention your sarcasm doesn't help as it's far from funny or cute.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 04:11 AM
link   

So much different than breaking skin and giving bloody lips. You aren't getting.it. A swat on the butt is one thing. When you leave marks it is a case for child protective services period!

FWIW: Breaking of the skin raises the assault to grievous bodily harm in law here.

I was beaten by my mother but never my father. After my parents separated I had nothing more to do with her. Sure there were other reasons I dont have anything to do with her, but waking up to some psycho laying into you really damages a childs world view.

If I have kids I dont know how I'll react if they did something really wrong, like I'd probably beat my kid if they raped another kid, but not for a homicide charge. If they did something like draw on the wall or crash my Benz I'd probably laugh and tell them how much better I was at drawing on walls and crashing cars...

In fact I will encourage my kids to draw on walls... not crashing cars, thats bad parenting.

Im not planning on having kids, so dont worry.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I am not going to respond to you anymore. Clearly you have issues that haven't been addressed. I wish you the best of luck in your recovery.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 04:16 AM
link   

I am not going to respond to you anymore. Clearly you have issues that haven't been addressed. I wish you the best of luck in your recovery.

I'm perfectly fine. I do have a level head and understand right and wrong. I just don't go for snobby, don't be an idiot, lines. If that's how you want to continue a conversation, then that's on you how other react. And, obviously, it's never that you're wrong. Any normal person would say "You know what, I shouldn't have said that, it was wrong" and you know what, I'm sorry for going off on you and it will not happen again as I won't let your name calling get under my skin again. Here's a medal, congrats.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Beating/smacking children is very lazy parenting in my opinion. If you don't have the vocabulary to articulate to your child and try and work out what is the underlying cause of their behaviour, you may as well have bought a cat.

Being physically hurt by the one person who they thought would protect them is very confusing for children.

edit on 16-9-2014 by Briles1207 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join