It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Powerful X1.6-class Solar Flare

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 01:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dolby_X
a reply to: violet
ok you take it personal sorry mister ! now that i said you gonna have a better sleep ? ... you are the one taking over the fence ...beside have you ever gone outside to see it ? i hope or you miss a god damn show. Not my pic but here what i saw exactly !
spaceweathergallery.com...

Ok thank you. I'm not a mister btw
That looks amazing if you saw that.
Yes I went out to look, nothing to see. Can't really see the northern sky much anyways. I'm in BC blocked in by mountains and far too many tall trees in my way. . Lots of light pollution as well.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: UnderKingsPeak
I wonder if it'll surprise the aurora predictors just how far south
I think the aurora may be seen, given Earth's weakening magnetosphere ?

Earths' magnetosphere went through another quickening decline of
power a month or so ago.
No doom just purty lights down to Kansas perhaps ?
They say Maine..we'll see...

However I wanted agree with DarkBlade and say I too
believe the Sun can play a role in Quakes. As well as Sprites
Thunder Storm formations and the coming Ice Age...

I wasn't too far off. The experts were amazed
as the lights were visible as far south as Iowa and Nebraska and Arizona.
I had no idea Arizona was above 55 degrees latitude?

Weak magnetosphere folks.
www.accuweather.com...
edit on 13-9-2014 by UnderKingsPeak because: Link

edit on 13-9-2014 by UnderKingsPeak because: Fixed link

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: UnderKingsPeak

Ah yes. I forgot you said that.

Arizona was unexpected.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   

lol next time come here in Québec i'll pay you some poutine to eat while watching !

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   
That's not that powerful, not very powerful at all, but it may make for some light shows in the upper atmosphere. But hey when things get really heated up, the popcorn effect should be in full swing, because the earth is like one big giant kernel, that will go pop now and then like its in a cosmic microwave, oh ya things get turned up now and then.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I didn't see any northern lights last night.
I'm kind of bummed.

lol

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
thanks for all of the updates, I got better and more reliable information here than anywhere else

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71
Same here. Nothing to see. What a bummer

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: galadofwarthethird
That's not that powerful, not very powerful at all, but it may make for some light shows in the upper atmosphere. But hey when things get really heated up, the popcorn effect should be in full swing, because the earth is like one big giant kernel, that will go pop now and then like its in a cosmic microwave, oh ya things get turned up now and then.

Well its over now. The word powerful came from the headline I took it from.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: syrinx high priest
thanks for all of the updates, I got better and more reliable information here than anywhere else

Thank you that's good to hear

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

I'm Southern Alberta and we didn't have any problems either.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I didn't enjoy this storm as nearly as I should have. Spaceweather having hardware problems in there first time of need in a long time, and massive cloudy and rainy conditions gave no hope for viewing the lights myself!

I demand a redo with no clouds and a functioning spaceweather...lol!

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

It was sure annoying spsce weather site went down. However it's not the best source. Most of what I posted came from the space weather prediction Center or NOAA. I get the app alerts from that. Like this one just now:
As predicted some more solar flares; Just an M class

S2 refers to solar radiation storm I believe.

SWPC Space Weather Alerts Issued in the last 24 hours Space Weather Message Code SUMPX1 Serial Number: 76 Issue Time: 2014 Sep 13 0700 UTC SUMMARY: Proton Event 10MeV Integral Flux exceeded 10pfu Begin Time: 2014 Sep 11 0240 UTC Maximum Time: 2014 Sep 12 1555 UTC End Time: 2014 Sep 12 2310 UTC Maximum 10MeV Flux: 126 pfu NOAA Scale: S2 - Moderate

I will edit in the proper online source after I look online for it. Thanks

ETA

2014-09-14 02:34 UTC Storm Conditions Now Waning It has now been a little over 48 hours since the first of two CMEs passed Earth, 36 hours since the second arrived. This pair of plasma clouds interacted with Earth's magnetosphere, mostly on Friday evening, producing minor to strong (G1-G3) geomagnetic storms in their wake. Unfortunately for hopeful aurora watchers across most of the U.S., the majority of the activity occurred before dusk on Friday. However, our European friends were able to see them farther south than usual. A few sightings in New England and Eastern Canada were also reported. The magnetosphere is currently quiet, though solar wind signatures suggest that a slight potential remains for as much as G1 (minor) storms over the next 12-18 hours.

Source
edit on 13-9-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

"Moderate M1.57 solar flare from sunspot region 12157"
Source

edit on 13-9-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   
It remained overcast last night/overnight, so I saw diddly. My "compensation" was a wicked red sunset tonight, though, so it wasn't all bad for me.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   

It was sure annoying spsce weather site went down. However it's not the best source. Most of what I posted came from the space weather prediction Center or NOAA.

I agree on both counts. I've noticed that Spaceweather can be a bit on the sensationalistic side. I much prefer seeing the data rather than the guesses from Spaceweather. Here, in the data from the ACE spacecraft, we can see that the CME was actually of very low density and the speed was nothing to write home about. It arrived at about 16:00 9/12 UTC. Geomagnetic activity did kick up (G3 storming) but because the Bz component maintained a northerly orientation, nothing extreme. Had it gone to 20 south, it would have been different. But it didn't.

edit on 9/14/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage
Soaceweather is handy for a quick glance, except It lacks data and information. It seems to have quite the following. People were panicking it shut down, as if it was the only place to go. I much prefer swpc. It has a wealth of information and all the charts.

I wish I had seen the aurora though. No such thing as horizon in British Columbia. Still that's the beauty of living here.

Thank you for your reply.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I dont know I suppose it all depends on what your definition of big is. For me, if it were enough to fry every satellite in orbit I would call that a mildly powerful flare, but others people have different definitions. And on headlines? Well...

That's the trouble with headlines. Sometimes they make things seem a bit more then they actually are, especially if there in bold capital letters. For instance, a short story, real short.

I woke up today, went downstairs grabbed some water to drink, looked behind the counters for some cereal possibly Raisin Bran or Cheerios, but there were none. I thought that it would be another mundane day, but then I WENT TO THE BATHROOM...

You see! Now it sounds all more of a bigger deal then it is, but in actually the biggest thing that happened in that bathroom, was that I forgot to brush my teeth that day. Funny no! How some capital words can effect people. Or how about them little tiny stars on the top left of peoples posts? What I'm saying is that maybe if you would have capitalized your thread tittle you would have gotten more people interested in this POWERFULL X CLASS FLARE thing. People may even think that it would create more of an event then the aurora borealis, however I doubt the light show it created was anywhere near as cool as that.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   

I dont know I suppose it all depends on what your definition of big is. For me, if it were enough to fry every satellite in orbit I would call that a mildly powerful flare, but others people have different definitions. And on headlines? Well...

That's the trouble with headlines. Sometimes they make things seem a bit more then they actually are, especially if there in bold capital letters. For instance, a short story, real short.

I woke up today, went downstairs grabbed some water to drink, looked behind the counters for some cereal possibly Raisin Bran or Cheerios, but there were none. I thought that it would be another mundane day, but then I WENT TO THE BATHROOM...

You see! Now it sounds all more of a bigger deal then it is, but in actually the biggest thing that happened in that bathroom, was that I forgot to brush my teeth that day. Funny no! How some capital words can effect people. Or how about them little tiny stars on the top left of peoples posts? What I'm saying is that maybe if you would have capitalized your thread tittle you would have gotten more people interested in this POWERFULL X CLASS FLARE thing. People may even think that it would create more of an event then the aurora borealis, however I doubt the light show it created was anywhere near as cool as that.

Well it's against the T& C on here to use all caps!

..... What I'm saying is that maybe if you would have capitalized your thread tittle you would have gotten more people interested in this POWERFULL X CLASS FLARE thing. People may even think that it would create more of an event then the aurora borealis, however I doubt the light show it created was anywhere near as cool as that.

I'm not clear on why you say I should not use the word powerful and then say use all caps??
x class flares are considered significant flares as opposed to M or C class. Nowhere did I misquote the source in the op and suggest it was the biggest x class ever.

I wasn't looking for stars, flags, all that stuff. Was not trying to create a doom thread. I value my membership on here. Although I am guilty of creating other threads that may be perceived as such.

I was simply posting what I found to inform others who may be interested. The alert came through my phone x class flare and I googled it to find a source. There really were not many sources on it at the time, so I used the one I found, that members here seem to prefer. I searched on here first to see if it was already posted. At first I thought I might use the breaking new forum , where one must use the exact title, but went with fragile earth, after having difficulty trying to post in breaking news all last week. I just don't get how it works in that forum, and not the only one who has trouble with it.

I got the alert as soon as it was discovered by space weather prediction Center at NOAA. I couldn't read the tiny text on my phone to google that exact source as a referencing. I installed the same app on my iPad as the thread progressed and could finally read it. Then I started using swpc NOAA as my sources.

edit on 14-9-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

Anyways I think I did a decent enough job updating this thread , I don't understand why you must critique my methods.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   

What I'm saying is that maybe if you would have capitalized your thread tittle you would have gotten more people interested in this POWERFULL X CLASS FLARE thing. People may even think that it would create more of an event then the aurora borealis, however I doubt the light show it created was anywhere near as cool as that.

The flare was listed at an X level. She didn't all cap it 'cause she's aware of the different levels of X flares and associated CMEs and ATS does not like all caps. The interesting thing about this CME was that looking online at the updates on the various sites, NOAA, Spaceweather, etc. thought the CME was going to progress into a major storm.

The sites also showed that the scientists were guessing on the content of the CME being thrown directly at us. They in the midst of it stated that. Violet and I both agreed we wished someone that knew this field better than our basic ability would step in and read the hourly charts. Where were you then? Huh?

And btw, the lightshow was amazing in different areas of the world, you missed that?
And at one point they were concerned about aircraft and the radiation.

STM
edit on 14-9-2014 by seentoomuch because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   

I suppose so, maybe these categorizations are a bit off, last I checked there has not been a big solar flare in millions of years, at least not headed in this direction. I mean I dont know, you all can categorize it any way you like. Its just strange is what I am saying. I was not critiquing your methods, I just never knew that X flares were considered big flares...That's just bizarre.

I also heard that ATS does not allow all caps. But I thought that was some joke people made up.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join