It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

iPhone 5c help with iPhoto and iCloud

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I inherited my mother in laws iPhone 5c when she lost it. She got a new one on insurance and then found the one she lost so it was a bonus for me!!!

I just hooked it up to my iMac for the first time so I can get the photos but it comes up as "Cindy's iPhone." How do I get that changed to be in my name? I thought the erased everything at Verizon when I had it activated so it was like new and factory settings.

Also the iCloud. I have all my Safari bookmarks and contacts and things like that shared with my iPhone from my desktop BUT pictures aren't all there. It only has maybe 100 vs the thousands I have in iPhoto. I have iPhoto as a shared option in iCloud. I was under the impression I could access my photos from my computer using iCloud. How do I get all of them on there with iCloud. This is all new to me and I'm just really confused.

Thanks!

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

You're going to have to create your own iCloud account, then you can change it in the settings.

Google: create iCloud account, it's the first option. Not sure if I can link it or of that's against the T&C.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jennyfrenzy

You're going to have to create your own iCloud account, then you can change it in the settings.

Google: create iCloud account, it's the first option. Not sure if I can link it or of that's against the T&C.

I have an iCloud account. I have my safari settings and everything else from my desktop on my iPhone. As for photos it's a select few which is weird. I clicked "photos" under iCloud settings. I thought it would show all my albums from iPhoto. I have my photos EXTREMELY organized lol. It's habit but easier to find pics.

I will check settings again. I was hoping someone else who uses iCloud could answer this. Thanks for your reply. I will leave this up and go to the Apple forums if need be. I dont really like them because the members tend to be a tad stuck up.lol

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
did you reset the phone to factory settings before doing anything else with it?

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Hey Mblah,

Try this, to change the name, go to settings, general, about, click on name, and change name.

iCloud only stores the last 1000 photos over the last 30 days. Currently you cannot view photos at iCloud.com, but when iOS 8 and Yosemite are released in the fall, that feature will be released.

Try manually syncing your phone to your iMac. Message me with any more questions.

Looking forward to your next recipe thread.

edit on 8-9-2014 by Doodle19815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   

I have an iPhone 5 and use iCloud, was trying to help...

If you have an iCloud account then you should be able to change your account in the settings of your phone.

Settings->iCloud->Account=then enter your iCloud ID and password.

Like HomerinNC said, you may have to restore the phone to factory settings as well. Make sure to sync your phone with iTunes first.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   
First on your phone, Settings> iCloud> photos > enable ( green )
There might be iPhoto in there if the app is installed on your phone, ( I deleted the app)

I'm not sure how the iPhone 5c or Mac works, but to have your photos sync across devices you will need to enable photo stream. It duplicates every photo, since enabling this, not before. It wastes a lot of space and has privacy issues. I don't like it myself. They can be viewed online at iCloud.com by logging in with your Apple ID
I only just got a MacBook and my iPhoto's did not sync but I don't want my photos syncing. The macbook drives me mental because I'm used to a PC. I can't read the task bar because it's too tiny of a text. It cannot be adjusted. I had hoped it would be like an iPad which I've figured out. My daughter helped with me some things.

For better qualified help, go to apple community forum for iPhone. They give plenty of help over there, just don't mention insurance part. Better to just say she gave it to you after she got a new one.

To get rid of your mothers name / ID you need to restore to factory settings. Connect to iTunes to do this
Make sure you know your passcode before attempting any resets or restore. Then be sure you are signed in on your iPhone under your ID.

edit on 8-9-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Just do a restore via itunes and set it up as a new phone.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: HomerinNC
did you reset the phone to factory settings before doing anything else with it?

Yea they did that at Verizon.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Doodle19815
Hey Mblah,

Try this, to change the name, go to settings, general, about, click on name, and change name.

I can't find anything that says change name. Do you mean on my iPhone or in iCloud?

iCloud only stores the last 1000 photos over the last 30 days. Currently you cannot view photos at iCloud.com, but when iOS 8 and Yosemite are released in the fall, that feature will be released.

Well damn! I have about 4000 photos. They are of course from the last 5yrs when the iPhone came out. I saw that I h ave 5g of storage free and I can upgrade by paying for yearly access to higher amounts, which I dont mind doing.

Try manually syncing your phone to your iMac. Message me with any more questions.

I synced it but it keeps saying "connected" or "not connected."

Looking forward to your next recipe thread.

Why thank you. I will be posting my veggie spaghetti sauce and baked ziti recipe later this evening or tomorrow.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jennyfrenzy

I have an iPhone 5 and use iCloud, was trying to help...

If you have an iCloud account then you should be able to change your account in the settings of your phone.

Settings->iCloud->Account=then enter your iCloud ID and password.

Like HomerinNC said, you may have to restore the phone to factory settings as well. Make sure to sync your phone with iTunes first.

They had set everything to factory settings, or so they said, while I was at Verizon getting it activated in my name. The only time it says "Cynthia's iPhone" is when I plug it into my computer and it comes up on iPhoto. I did not check iTunes because I do not use iTunes for anything. Now if I reset it to factory settings myself how will I get back all my apps and pics and everything on my phone? I dont want to lose anything. I dont mind doing the process over if I won't lose anything.

Thank you

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: violet
First on your phone, Settings> iCloud> photos > enable ( green )
There might be iPhoto in there if the app is installed on your phone, ( I deleted the app)

It is already enabled

I'm not sure how the iPhone 5c or Mac works, but to have your photos sync across devices you will need to enable photo stream. It duplicates every photo, since enabling this, not before. It wastes a lot of space and has privacy issues. I don't like it myself. They can be viewed online at iCloud.com by logging in with your Apple ID

I mostly use iCloud to store photos incase something happened to my computer. I dont want to lose the pics. My husband is ordering me a 1TB hard drive to store nothing but pics on. I also use Flickr but it takes forever to load pics there. I have used it for years and it's been a while since I loaded pics. I keep ALL my photos extremely organized by category. I am picked on constantly for this lol but it makes finding pics sooo much easier!

I just find it weird that of the photos is shows in iCloud on my phone they are very random. I mean one is from 2010 when i was in Italy. HOW did that pic get there but ones from say last month or even December aren't.

I only just got a MacBook and my iPhoto's did not sync but I don't want my photos syncing. The macbook drives me mental because I'm used to a PC. I can't read the task bar because it's too tiny of a text. It cannot be adjusted. I had hoped it would be like an iPad which I've figured out. My daughter helped with me some things.

I LOVE LOVE LOVED my MacbookPro! It recently went to Apple heaven when the motherboard went. I have had 2 MacbookPro's and one Powerbook G4. Loved them all, great laptops. I am an Apple fan lol I had a PC once and it made me mental! I hated it. LOL We are looking at getting an iPad next month. I dont want another laptop because I have the iMac desktop and it works just fine. I like the iPad because it's small and i can do a lot of things on it with out lugging a laptop around. I used my moms for a while and hated giving it back when she had to go back to work. lol I really enjoyed it. I dont always get on my desktop because of my little one so the iPad would be perfect when I need to look up things or pay bills or just browse.

For better qualified help, go to apple community forum for iPhone. They give plenty of help over there, just don't mention insurance part. Better to just say she gave it to you after she got a new one.

Yea I have been there in the past and some of the people in those forums are just stuck up and rude. They expect you to know everything. I will more than likely go there if I can't get if figured out here. I always come to ATS first because I get more help here than anywhere else!

Thanks for the heads up I won't mention the insurance

To get rid of your mothers name / ID you need to restore to factory settings. Connect to iTunes to do this
Make sure you know your passcode before attempting any resets or restore. Then be sure you are signed in on your iPhone under your ID.
Ok but will it save what I have on my phone?

Thank you!
edit on 9/9/2014 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Hi, sorry I'm not good at seperating quotes.
I love my iPad. Never had an apple computer, so it's unfamiliar territory. I just got the macbook air. I needed it to be lightweight since i can only use one hand. I would drop it. My PC broke and I wanted a laptop. An iPad is much cheaper than buying a whole new computer. I got my first one free and became addicted.

Yes the apple forums are a bit stuck up. I had to go after the IOS software updates that #ed everything up. I've since feared the stupid updates. They did help once I knew the formula of asking better. I still have Russian playlists though.

I'm not sure about your randomness in the photos. I would learn how to use iPhoto if I didn't keep deleting the app. I'm always running out of space and start deleting things I rarely use. You can switch how you view it though at the bottom by photos or albums. I like albums. Family, cats, others etc. in photos it shows dates and locations. That view messes me up since my albums are organized to my liking. In the photos view, try clicking on the top left, years or collections. Or try closing down the photos app to reset. It changes it around then.

I notice in photos view it will show the location where someone else with an iPhone sent me a pic or if you save it.Might be something You should be aware of. Having location services turned on allows this. Pretty much everything you enable compromises your security. Having said that I need to check on something now. I'm having a yikes moment.

It might be if you had an iPhone previously and those old photos were used while photo streaming or location services were enabled.

I have iPhone 4S. Not getting a new one until it's broken.

top topics

join