It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SHTF Ammo

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Replies are all over the place. From gun fights, to archery - my question was simple.

I have ammo and guns including:
.223/5.56
7.62x39
.308/7.62x45
30-06
.22lr
.22mag
.357/.38sp
.45ACP
9mm
20ga
12ga

The question was "which popular ammo am I forgetting?" or "which ammo will be most commonly found/sought in SHTF?"

I'm guessing .22lr, .223 or 12ga are going to be the most used...

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
If you have all that, I don't think your forgetting anything.
Why so many different ones though?
Personally, I'd rather stick with a couple different calibers, so I can simply have more available ammo for each weapon.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: stutteringp0et

Regarding the question of 'what are you forgetting', I'd say .30-30 Winchester. Easily found just about anywhere that sells ammunition.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 03:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

The idea is that if/when SHTF, ammo will be unavailable or too expensive to buy. If I happen to come across ammo, I want to have a gun that shoots it. I want to keep guns for common calibers, because those are the types of ammo I'm more likely to come across.

Right now I have a 6 foot tall stack of ammo cans that are full of the listed ammo, and one of the big .50BMG cans filled with spare parts (springs, pins and other). I also have several cases of ammo that I just don't have cans for yet.

I'd like to double or triple my ammo storage.

If I need to trade ammo for something, I'd like to have enough that I have some to spare. Others have posted that trading ammo is crazy - but I wouldn't be trading it to anyone I didn't trust with it.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: stutteringp0et
Replies are all over the place. From gun fights, to archery - my question was simple.

I have ammo and guns including:
.223/5.56
7.62x39
.308/7.62x45
30-06
.22lr
.22mag
.357/.38sp
.45ACP
9mm
20ga
12ga

The question was "which popular ammo am I forgetting?" or "which ammo will be most commonly found/sought in SHTF?"

I'm guessing .22lr, .223 or 12ga are going to be the most used...

Where I shoot indoors, pistol caliber only, the most popular is .22 followed by 9mm/40 S+W, then .45. DHS was hoarding 1.6 billion rounds of 40 and a lot of police use it so there would probably be a lot of that around if SHTF.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
In a SHTF scenario where I have to take my family and head for the hills what I can conceivably carry will be a big deciding factor. When it comes to firearms and ammunition I will definitely be taking my 22 rifle and 22 pistol. The reason being that that I can easily carry 10,000 rounds of 22 ammunition on my back, enough that will allow me to take down small game and feed my family for a long long time. Without ammunition your gun is nothing but a club and while having a big calibre firearm sounds great in theory when you start loading up the ammo you're going to soon realize it's limitations.

Two legged predators do not worry me as much as starvation. I've also never met anyone who wants to get shot with a 22LR...and I'm damn accurate with both the pistol and the rifle. Accurate enough to give someone a third nostril at a significant distance if need be.

edit on 19000000pm10America/Chicago2014Sunday2014514 by duaneology because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Now if I'm at hunkered down at my home that's a entirely different story. Then it's 00 buck and 44 magnum and 7.62x39 all day long.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join