It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All Scottish Voters Need to Read This!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   
This title is not just for the sake of trying to catch your eye,

Every single Scottish Voter needs to know about this, The McCorne Report

It started out in 1974, when the conservative government of Edward Heath requested that the Scottish Office submit a report on North Sea oil and its implications for Scottish Nationalism.

It was quite simply staggering, the report is only 18 pages or so long but a couple of paragraphs are really quite amazing.

For example on page 8 of the report the authors assert that

It must be concluded there fore that large revenues and balance of payments gains would indeed accrue to a Scottish Government in the event of independence provided that steps were taken either by carried interest or by taxation to secure the Government ‘take’. Undoubtedly this would banish any anxieties the Government might have had about its budgetary position or its balance of payments. The country would tend to be in chronic surplus to a quite embarrassing degree and its currency would become the hardest in Europe, with the exception perhaps of the Norwegian kroner. Just as deposed monarchs and African leaders have in the past used the Swiss franc as a haven of security, so now would the Scottish pound be seen as a good hedge against inflation and devaluation and the Scottish banks could expect to find themselves inundated with a speculative inflow of foreign funds.

And the conclusion starts with the words:

This paper has shown that the advent of North Sea oil has completely overturned the traditional economic arguments used against Scottish nationalism. An independent Scotland could now expect to have massive surpluses both on its budget and on its balance of payments and with the proper husbanding of resources this situation could last for a very long time into the future

The report was presented to the new Labour government of Harold Wilson.

And what did they do with this report.

they covered it up!

This report about how wealthy a independent Scotland would have been in 1974 was covered up.

As this video explains.

So long before Westminster took us Scottish into illegal wars, sold cash for peerages, spend all our dosh on their expenses all while covering up paedophiles and destroying the economy. They covered up the fact that had Scotland gone it alone we would very possibly have been one of the the strongest states in Europe.

Food for thought for people like myself who are still trying to decide "Aye" or "naw" in the next few weeks.
edit on 7-9-2014 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
That was in 1974, imagine how much things would of changed in those 40 years, the legal framework would probably have virtually no similarity and who knows with all the rest including EU membership etc would make of them!

Personally i dont mind a scotland thats free but it needs to realise the risks and also the losses it will take to become free and certainly be 100% completely independant of the UK so no currency linking etc, consider it like a divorce that nice aka you split up the assets and thats it in you go your way and i go mine and don't go looking for handouts if your in trouble (on both sides)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

Something i should have highlighted in my OP,

I see the yes or no as a question of the head over the heart, logic over emotion.

This is by far a emotional response, like you say this was 40 years ago and really now is not exactly applicable to the 2014 referendum.

I have said before I am still somewhat undecided.

Logically I cannot see how Scotland would work out as a independent state.

Emotionally I am fed up with the crap that Westminster keep chucking at us, this report is just one example and I am sure the rest of the UK are also fed up with this stuff.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
It would be a big kick in the nuts of EU/globalists if Scotland declared independence.

Catalonia could be next, that`s why the EU leaders are extremely worried.

And hey, if Scotland does it, Crimea was also in its right to do so.

Go Scots, get out of the freaking global mess you`re now are part of !

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: BornAgainAlien

It would be a big kick in the nuts of EU/globalists if Scotland declared independence.

Not really considering that the first thing a independent Scotland will be doing is sending of applications to join the EU, the UN and NATO.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

But, but what about all the terrorists that David Cameron said were going to attack Scotland if they voted yes for independence?

Not surprised they would hide the report. Those in London are loath to give up any power and control of anybody. I really hope to see an independent Scotland in my lifetime.

And Scotland says:
    "Can you hear us now London?!"

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Not really considering that the first thing a independent Scotland will be doing is sending of applications to join the EU, the UN and NATO.

Are they really that stupid ?

So it`s no independence after all ?

Laws are dictated by EU nowadays over in the Netherlands and Germany too, so it will be no different in Scotland I assume.

Voting is once again a joke as usual !

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
been aware of this for a good good while.
Recently David Cameron was in Shetland they wont say why other than it is not connected to oil. There are some very big claims it is connected to a find at Shale. Rumored to be a substantial find google it if you are interested.

The entire NO campaign is based on lies, conspiracy and deceit.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
To put it frankly, I think it's time for the Scots to # or get off the pot.

Put aside the fears and just damn well do it already. Many countries have fought for independance from England's nipple, and they've managed to do so successfully.

Yes, the change is scary and it's a tough road ahead, but isn't it worth it in the long haul ?

Just my two pence.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

The "yes" campaign want to keep the EU, NATO, UN, keep the bank of England and even keep the queen as head of state.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Scotscorps84
been aware of this for a good good while.
Recently David Cameron was in Shetland they wont say why other than it is not connected to oil. There are some very big claims it is connected to a find at Shale. Rumored to be a substantial find google it if you are interested.

The entire NO campaign is based on lies, conspiracy and deceit.

They are trying to cover up not 1 but 3 very very large oil finds in that sector rumor has it

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   

The "yes" campaign want to keep the EU, NATO, UN, keep the bank of England and even keep the queen as head of state.

we will see what happens during the negotiation period in the event of a yes vote.
I've spoken on NATO in a previous post and why it isn't silly to suggest us being a part of it.
If we are swimming in seas of black gold, with only our newly formed defence force,and a bitter ex partner who has a history of going to war for oil with their buddy sitting just across the border we need allies in some shape or form.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

I read last year 93% of all laws in Germany are dictated by Brussels, without knowing the exact figure of the Netherlands, I still can say it`s about the same nowadays over here. They try to let it look if our government has more to say, but they actually don`t. And laws which are still decided by our government aren`t that important.

So what are they voting for ?

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

and the terms of membership may not be as kind as they would hope as they'll have to take the euro as the currency but who knows that the interim currency will be worth

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria

and the terms of membership may not be as kind as they would hope as they'll have to take the euro as the currency but who knows that the interim currency will be worth

not to mention the further complications of the Copenhagen Criteria, their desire to join the EU and NATO complicates quite a lot of the independence ideals.

edit on 7-9-2014 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I often thought that an independent Scotland just after the advent of North Sea oil and gas would have been a land of milk and honey.

Then it occurred to me that Shell and BP would just have gobbled it all up, regardless.

I'm really torn by the independence issue too, I was born and live in England, but have as much Scottish/Gaelic blood as I do English (as well as Irish and Welsh family) and regard my self as a Briton.

If Scotland do vote Yes, then I bloody want dual nationality.

edit on 7-9-2014 by skalla because: Frelling touchscreen and frakking autobasterdcorrect

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Did the mugs that joined the euro not have to hand over their gold reserves to get that paper currency ?
i am sure i remember reading that and Britian sold their''s off cheap just like the postal service / water/electricity /telecoms all is now private including the north sea licences freedom in private hands

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   

The Dutch got screwed hugely.

We traded our Guilder in as 2.20 to 1 Euro and 10 years later 1 Euro had the same value as 1 Guilder.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   
You just have to look at Norway to see where Scotland could be. The important things to note are that Norway's population is 5 million like Scotland, but that one region in Norway accounts for 75% of all revenue coming into the country (through the oil industry and support services; engineering design, materials science, engineering, support ships and infrastructure). That's no difference from Scotland.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Every body buy bigger cars, Mustangs for all and drive em hard I say...The sooner OIL is used up the sooner it stops ruling our lives!.......................Let's talk about Dihydrogen Monoxide, the next battlefront!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join