It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fever, coughing, mouth blisters: Hundreds of Midwest kids hospitalized with mystery v

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Neopan100

My 14 yro son just got over scarlet fever too. It came after contracting strep throat. Also known as a strep rash. I made a solution of baking soda and water to shower with. Benedryl, and lots of water to flush the system. Antibiotics...

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I can only star your post once... we have the exact same thing going on in our household as well, exactly! I wondered in the beginning if it was the newer cleaning agents the school is using to fight illness? Also it had to have been in the wind and also to note those weird spider webs were floating through the skies recently.

Took my son in with severe allergy type issues, and 1 week later had him back in w/ confirmed strep. 1 week later w/ scarlett fever. I have been exhausting myself in cleanup and sanitation, laundry etc and have gotten upper respiratory, sinus, even ear and throat stuff with a cough.

Hope you guys get well soon, if I am not mistaken, you guys like us are rarely ill? Healthy lifestyle for the most part and possibly even a strong immune system? This is my sons first time on antibiotics!

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: antar

Have you been using Lysol spray on door knobs and kitchen cabinet handles and bathroom faucet and toilet handles? Frequent hand washing also... the regular kind of good old fashioned hand washing?

This is what I did last time we had something nasty running around our household and all of us got sick, and that is the one thing which stopped it, and we all began to get well again shortly thereafter.

Don't know, but if this is not what you have been doing, perhaps you should try it.

I don't normally use Lysol spray, but that time we were all sick and none of us getting any better, and that put a very quick stop to it, and we all started to get well again.

Sorry about you and your son, hope you all get better soon!
edit on 8-9-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
It's bizzare that there are so many people putting their heads together, yet they always come up with the same things. I'm not here to bash conspiracy theorists, but lets not get head over heals and start calling this a bio weapon. If you are going to take conspiracy theory seriously, you can't ignore everything that happens in senate or the house or in politics in general. I agree that some if it is put on for show, but a large majority is not.

Comparing this to Ebola is retarded. Most illnesses have the same side effects most way through, or at the beginning. There are only so many ways humans get sick, and only a few subsets of symptoms of any illness. Regardless, and too the point, if you want to know why people get sick easier, ALL over the world, NOT just the west (and by the way, the west is comprised of many more countries that America, so stop acting like the centre of the world), its SIMPLE. This is an issue that has been addressed by many governments and most people don't realize it's the problem, or how big a deal it is, because they refuse to listen to anything the government has to say.

It's a result of many things, but Mostly a result of antibiotics resistant viruses. We give far to many antibiotics to our people when their sick, and never let anybody generate a proper immune response. The kids and old people get even more.

We haven't developed any kind of truly "new" antibiotics in generations. Since the golden age of antibiotics, we have been killing off the weak bugs, but the strong ones are evolving, and becoming resistant to the antibiotics we have been using. The same ones we have been using for years.

Furthermore, science has been under attack lately, even evolution. This has had the result of many Cuts to research. Evolution on a large scale Takes incredibly long periods of time. But on a microscopic scale? We can nearly WATCH it happen. Think there's no evidence for evolution? It will be one of these evolved strains of regular old viruses that will unfortunately be hospitalizing many people.

Moreover, many many countries around the world feed their farm animals even MORE antibiotics. It keeps them from passing on sickness when cramped in poor living conditions. It is also known to bulk up livestock, this, generating more profit.

Where does people think the swine flu and bird flu came from? Everyone likes to blame it on china, or whatever, but they wear masks because they DON'T want to get sick. Not because they CARRY it. Eventually after pumping livestock full of anti bio tics, a super strain CAN emerge and be passed on to humans.

Our governments are trying to combat these problems, but almost nobody participates in government, so all the people making money take advantage of that, lobby, vote, and pressure their constituency to prevent laws from being passed that will roll back antibiotic use in agriculture.

If everyone got together and helped change this problem, we could take the money saved treating sick people, and put it into development of new antibiotics (which is going to be expensive and hard, but direly nevessay). It would also reduce the poor living conditions of animals.

We need to be concerned about large agricultural businesses and the pharmaceutical industry. We need to spend less time blaming our government, which is just an extension of the people. And start blaming the corporations that are making us sick. Suppressing new medicine. Poisoning our water with agricultural runoff and waste. The government doesn't work because we spend too much time bickering and developing wild theories, rather than rolling up our sleeves, taking responsibility, working together to solve our big problems, etc. we can get back to our theories later, before our kids end up with a world full of disease and super bugs that have no cure.

Thanks for reading
edit on 8-9-2014 by Stedor7 because: Spelling

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
Ummmm....wow...this is really strange. Ok, so our two older kids started school back a couple weeks ago. Immediately they come home with something. Son has upper repiratory, daughter has dry cough that still hasn't gone away, wife has upper repiratory AND an ear infection....can't remember the last adult I knew that had one. So youngest starts school a week later....she now has a cough for the last 13 days that docs say nothing is wrong and has to be allergies. Trouble is, I have been coughing and sneezing like I have allergies lately, and have NEVER had any problems with allergies in my life.

So....something in the air...i think so. Man made? No I don't think so. I think something in nature is happening and it is something major. Viruses and diseases seem to be getting a free ride where the winds blow right now. Something is happening....and it is going to be bigger than we think.

I'd say the nature is the big bingo. One of the things that I know about viruses and bacteria is that they tend to like wetter climates. In fact, hantavirus and plague outbreaks in the SW are almost always associated with increased rainfall for various reasons. What does that have in common with where EV-68 is a bit on the rampant side? All those states have had above average rainfall and in some cases, record breaking rainfall. Moist climate = hello viruses, bacteria, and fungi.

Click on Midwest, where this is largely happening at: droughtmonitor.unl.edu...
Colorado, Wyoming, and Utah: climate.colostate.edu...

It's like this for many of the states that are having EV-68 crop up. Above average rainfall. Interestingly enough, only part of Missouri is above average in terms of rainfall and that's in the Northern portion. Well, Kansas City and St. Louis where EV-68 is cropping up are both in the Northern portion of Missouri. Also kind of interesting is that many of these states were suffering from drought prior to this. Maybe viruses and whatnot hunkered down and once it became more hospitable, they flourished?

As for why now--well school started.

edit on 8/9/14 by WhiteAlice because: added last sentence

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Stedor7

Ummm, hate to point this out but ALL viruses are "antibiotic resistant" because antibiotics work against bacteria, not viruses. There has never, ever been an antibiotic that has worked against a virus.

What you are talking about has no basis in reality. Antibiotics create antibiotic resistant bacteria.

And yes, avian flu does come from China. The strains originate there, not because of anything to do with antibiotics but because you have many birds, pigs and human beings living practically right on top of one another. There is ample opportunity for the viral strains to hop from bird to bird and accidentally get passed to either pigs or humans which aren't their main targets of infection, but they can work with them. When that happens, there is the opportunity for the virus to mutate to take advantage of the new host and become something that passes from either pig to pig or human to human or even pig to human or bird to pig to human.

Flu, btw, is a VIRUS, not a bacteria, so never, ever let anyone tell you that taking antibiotics will do a damn thing to help you get rid of it. Antibiotics will only help you with opportunistic secondary BACTERIAL infections like sinus or respiratory infections when bacteria take advantage of your weakened immune system and damaged mucus membranes to take hold.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Stedor7

Ummm, hate to point this out but ALL viruses are "antibiotic resistant" because antibiotics work against bacteria, not viruses. There has never, ever been an antibiotic that has worked against a virus.

What you are talking about has no basis in reality. Antibiotics create antibiotic resistant bacteria.

And yes, avian flu does come from China. The strains originate there, not because of anything to do with antibiotics but because you have many birds, pigs and human beings living practically right on top of one another. There is ample opportunity for the viral strains to hop from bird to bird and accidentally get passed to either pigs or humans which aren't their main targets of infection, but they can work with them. When that happens, there is the opportunity for the virus to mutate to take advantage of the new host and become something that passes from either pig to pig or human to human or even pig to human or bird to pig to human.

Flu, btw, is a VIRUS, not a bacteria, so never, ever let anyone tell you that taking antibiotics will do a damn thing to help you get rid of it. Antibiotics will only help you with opportunistic secondary BACTERIAL infections like sinus or respiratory infections when bacteria take advantage of your weakened immune system and damaged mucus membranes to take hold.

You are correct- antibiotics do not kill viruses. They kill bacteria.
Now, I have a question. When you kill off bacteria (especially with the 'broad spectrum' kind that kill even the good bacteria in your gut) do you leave a vacuum that allows viruses to propagate?

I am asking this because it is well known that yeast (a form of fungus) can take hold. (Thrush in babies, yeast infections in women, etc.)

I really should do my own research but was curious if you knew off the top of your head...
edit on 9/8/2014 by new_here because: typo

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: new_here

No, viruses and bacteria operate in two different ways. Bacteria colonize and viruses do not. A fungus will opportunistically colonize space left open by bacteria, but viruses don't work on the same biological paradigm. Behaviorally speaking, bacteria and fungi have more in common than bacteria and viruses which is why you see the thrush.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: new_here

No, viruses and bacteria operate in two different ways. Bacteria colonize and viruses do not. A fungus will opportunistically colonize space left open by bacteria, but viruses don't work on the same biological paradigm. Behaviorally speaking, bacteria and fungi have more in common than bacteria and viruses which is why you see the thrush.

Ok thanks, that makes sense. Somehow I thought bacteria (in certain cases) kept some strains of virus at bay. A balance of nature type thing. I am wrong sometimes. Imagine that, haha.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   
There is something nasty going around for sure.....my husband had it in July, then at the end of July I got it......woke up with an ear ache and sore throat. The next day sinuses..went to the doctor who said I had a bad sinus infection....really? and the 2nd day of sickness? She gave me a 5 day Zpak.....and my sinus got better but then it turned into bronchitis. I've been well for 2 weeks but continue with breathing issues...having to use my inhaler, hacking up crap.....this thing won't let go of me..

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   
That's scary. I hope it's nothing serious, it seems highly contagious... and how odd that it's happening in the US and in Europe. If I hear anything about it here in South America, I'll let you know. Best wishes, everyone!

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Well, anymore, it's a toss up. For one thing, so called "scientists" need to stop fiddling around with things like digging deep into the antarctic and finding "new" bacteria/viruses or whatever...perhaps unleashing those "new" (old) bugs into the air or whatever or contaminating things in some other way relevant to these things they are discovering. Digging up a body in Alaska or the North Pole or where ever, that was riddled with the Spanish Flu so they could study it. Labs aren't as safe as we may think. Plum Island was known to use duct tape to seal some of their doors.

All this deep earth drilling and rain forest logging of really old trees,...who knows what "old" disease of yesteryear may become the "new" and emerging disease of today once again.

There are articles all over the web today about how quickly this illness in the children is spreading...more and more states being added to the contamination lists. Ever catch a cold from a kid...many times elderly folks and even just adults have even a worst time kicking the bug then the kids. Lets hope this all passes for all concerned!
edit on 9-9-2014 by shrevegal because: error

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Is there a new Vaccine being given to children at the moment? like those jabs for MMR??

Or maybe there is something in the water!

Seems strange its only affecting children though.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

I am OCD on sanitizing ANYTHING touched or vulnerable to airborn. Quarantined my son and covered all furniture, gave him his own bathroom, changed bedding daily, even bathed the pets who came in contact.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Do not have a bunch of time but wanted to share the email I sent my brother who is a nurse:

BTW, 888888 doing much better, pretty much mended after catching the deadly strain of infection wreaking havoc across the nation. It went like this:

Allergy type symptoms severe including eyes w/ headache

Ear, nose and throat severe Cold symptoms

Slight fever and cough, congestion

Dehydration no matter how much you drink including raised sores on tongue

Sore throat for 1 day

Chest pain and lethargy

Then 1 week after antibiotics started on 10 day regime, a scarlet fever and severe rash.

What we did:

Plenty of fluid

Childrens Cold and allergy med

Quarantine

Benedryl

Antibiotics

Cool showers w/ baking soda for skin

Baking soda internally for PH balance (1/2 tsp in quart of water) 1xdaily

Nothing w/ acidity eaten or drank

Steaming for congestion (Ginger, cayenne) And drinking the tea...

Now mind you this is 88888's first time on antibiotics, his immune system is strong so this could be one of those things like the cytokine storms that hit people with a stronger immune system, using its own defenses against the body like we saw with birdpig flu.

TLC and bedrest

Ok, gotta go, but he is well now all cured.

They will want to PUSH with more vaccines over this just watch and see. Manmade imo.

Love you, miss our late night talks, been sick myself with gunk from this after sanitizing and cleaning for 2 weeks. Nothing big just cold symptoms, getting better.

edit on am930amTue, 09 Sep 2014 08:52:31 -0500 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I am concerned about this and wonder if it hits first from allergens in the air or in the wind from farming GMO practices and their toxic pesticides?

Once inside the body it triggers the bodies defense system to kick in like a bacterial infection lowering the bodies immune system allowing for it to succumb to a viral and communicable disease within the pesticides contamination?

Perhaps it is the opposite and the allergy leads to a virus that turns into a bacterial war ?

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

My daughter is in college and is stuffed in those tight dorm rooms and crowded class rooms. She has lung issues so this story scares the stuff'n out of me. She's 18 and technically not a child anymore, but she still gets sick with the lung issues a lot and this one has me concerned. I'm watching it carefully (not that I can do much about it).

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: antar

See I'm clean, but I don't sanitize anything. Unless you count using lots of bleach in the bathroom as sanitizing...lol

I dust every other day, vacuum, sweep and mop every day to every other day if I have a lazy day, I scour the bathroom 2 - 3 times a week, dishes as soon as the are dirty, washed by hand.

But that's it, just regular cleaning. I probably wash door knobs once or twice a month, only when they get dirty. I refuse to allow shoes in my house, they sit by the door... but that's the end of my nuances.

We also don't get sick very often. My kids were never prone to colds or flu's when they were young. So for me running around with Lysol on doorknobs and kitchen handles constantly was definitely weird and out of the ordinary. I figure hand washing does it usually.

That time was unusual in that we all got it - and had a hard time ridding ourselves of it.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: OpinionatedB
I refuse to allow shoes in my house, they sit by the door...

That's excellent advice. We take ours off at the door as well. Shoes track everything in ... dirt AND germs. And when we come in from being out shopping or when my husband comes home from work, hands are immediately washed and paper towels are used to dry.

Note - We aren't 'germ phobic'. We are 'germ aware'.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

My wife and I follow the exact same protocol, and we teach our kids to do the same thing as well.

Lord knows that children will be exposed to enough germs and bacteria at day care, pre-school, and elementary school to build their immune systems, so there's no need to compensate.

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join