It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen Tackled/Arrested/Suspended at School by Police for using Cell Phone...Teens now protest.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

three cops on one small girl..that's a fecking assault.

People are to respect and believe in these men? 600 lbs of police officer to needlessly restrain a kid?

Yeah I have heard of police using excessive force,

Lucky they carry fire arms to shoot and kill to protect us all from J walkers/puppies and other like wise violent criminals and viscous animals.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: FraggleRock
And what would that be? Punishments are no longer the thing to fear, children view such, as they are, a joke and taken just with a grain of salt.

At one time, a teacher could spank a child, but it was determined that was wrong and thus it was taken away from the teachers hands, put into the hands of the principle, then it slowly moved to where it required a parents permission and finally, it is pretty much done away with. Spankings were something parents did, and now it is something that can get a parent in trouble. Children have no fear of consequences, jails and prisons are no longer something that people fear or try to avoid.

At one time, suspension and expulsion was something to be wary of, but now it is no longer feared or something that really affects a child. So what punishment can a school do, if its hands are bound to the point where it no longer hurts, or something that is in the forefront of the mind where children act not to get such?

The schools hands are bound, and if a student is not going to listen to a teacher, or the vice principle or the principle, it goes and is escalated by the child up, to where they have no choice but to contact the police.

The saddest part about this, is that most schools, from grade on up to high schools, they are requiring an officer on site there to keep order among the student body. That students are willing to violate rules and some of them, even laws, that require the police be present.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: sdcigarpig

I don't know. I don't claim to have all the answers. I do know that assaulting children because they violated a school policy isn't that answer though. I know there are many who laud the days of violence against students and that's their prerogative.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I think you expel the student..I believe the parents will deal with it.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: sdcigarpig
She did not do what her teacher told her to do, did not follow or do what the VP did, and she did resist and refuse to follow the directions of the officer. How many chances did she need or should have received? She had more than ample opportunity to follow the rules, and chose not to.
Perhaps we need to go back to the day where a parent could spank a child and allow for such in the school. May mean a lot less of the police being involved in schools.

Rules are not laws and rules should probably not result in a police officer attacking a kid...

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Oh dear a teenager broke the rules. Better send the police to rough them up. Those darned kids and their cellphones, how dare this young lady exhibit such outrageous acts of free will will. Showing emotional conviction for personal freedom is condemnable here at ats for all of you taking this little girls side. You should all listen to scaredpig er... sdcigarpig i mean, as well as sheepleof the nation er... SheopleNation. Sorry I'm terrible with names.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: theyknowwhoyouare

You are siding with the police and condemning the victim. Therefore you are condoning the gestapo. People like you bring about a society as displayed by this event. I hope you enjoy the bitter future that awaits us, I sure as hell wont.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I am not advocating violence against children, however, as many think that this is bad, are not coming up with solutions on what to do with a child who is willfully and knowingly breaking the rules that are in place. We all have rules in our lives, and there are consequences for breaking those rules, these are a part of the social contracts that we have to deal with every day.

Has anyone read the student handbook for this school? The policies are very clear cut, if I read what they say, the reality is that this child did not just break one rule, but several rules. These rules are not unfair, they are not unreasonable. And the student and parent have to read, sign and date the back page, handing it in stating that they read through the policies and understand them and the consequences for violating said policies. So if one reads the handbook, this girl violated the policy of using a cell phone during class time, of having a cell phone that was turned on and disrespecting the teachers and authorities present.

Did the student have opportunity to turn in her cell phone, before the police were involved, yes. Did she, no, so therefore the only conclusion is that she did not want or believe in the rules and the code of conduct that was put out to her by the school and chose to ignore them.

As I stated, we all have rules in our lives, and not just the laws that we are expected to follow. There are rules in jobs, there are rules while driving, and in our homes. And if a person violates those rules, there are consequences for those violations.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I wonder if the parents agreed to the police assaulting their daughter via your little signed rules page? .I doubt it stated that violence would be the responce for non compliance.
Why is the nonviolent option of an expulsion not a solution? your ignoring the fact or claim that she held onto her phone due to a family emergency. I do not know if its truthfull but I would of given the benefit of the doubt.
Rules are needed yes but sometimes zero tolerance does not take different situations into consideration. Shame on all the adults in this story for not coming up with a better plan.
If the teen was truthful in the family emergency claim then I commend her..if she was just not wanting to give it and no family emergency than a temporary expulsion.

edit on 7-9-2014 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Nobody here had suggested the girl didn't violate school policy so reading the handbook would be pointless. And nobody here has suggested that violating the rules has no consequences. We simply feel that the actions taken by the adults in this situation was disgusting behavior. So what should be their consequences? And just for clarification what exactly is your opinion regarding the actions taken in this situation? Not any other situation, just this one.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   
If this was the old days, the teachers would have confiscated her phone, spanked her, called her parents and suspended her for 3 days. And it would also be hard for her to get into a good college. But then again teachers can no longer touch students. So if the student can not be touched by the teacher, or the vice principle or principle, if the suspension does not make the student think about the future and how it affects them, then what good is the punishment?

The point I have been making, is that these days schools are incapable of doing anything in the way of punishments, thus it now is turned over to the police.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: vonclod
Reguardless if it was a family emergency or not. If it was an emergency then why did the parent not call the office and state such? What do you think would have been the result if she had walked off campus and the school did not know where she was? They would have called the cops. And then she and her parents would be in court and paying a fine, and or possible probation and a police record for her failing to be in school.

Texas state law is very clear on this, Truancy is considered a class c misdemeanor, and schools are required by state law to report such to the department of public safety. This can affect many aspects of a students life, and too many times and they end up sending the child off to juvineal hall, and or removed from the parents house and put into foster care.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Why the hell would anybody in their right mind call the police these days?
Obviously the chances are someone gets hurt..part of the plan though right?

edit on 8-9-2014 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: theyknowwhoyouare
Several things: One is not to be insulting. It is uncalled for.
2: The girl broke the rules. We all have rules in our lives, that we have to abide by and not just the laws, and failure to comply with said rules have consequences, including some that are far worse than what this girl got. If you don't pay rent, you lose your place to live. If you do not show up to work on time, you lose your job. If you do not pay for utilities, they turn them off. This is no different, but what many tend to be ignoring is the fact that most schools are no longer allowed to punish students. If they do, then they face law suits by the parents. So if the school is not allowed to punish the student, and the student is disrupting class or making it hard for others to learn, what is the school to do? They call the cops and get them involved.

The only solution is to allow for schools to take a hand in punishing students again, and back the school, not just the student, especially when the student violates the rules. And right now cell phones and other items like that is a very touchy subject and issue. After all if you do not think about such then perhaps you can explain how such is a good idea to say the parents of the thirty high school students in San Diego who are all facing felony charges, stemming from all having cell phones.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Elton
Ah but that is the rub, the police did not attack her. One stopped her first, and demanded her cell phone. When she refused, she took it up to the next level. She had more than ample opportunity to avoid this, and chose to keep escalating it on more and more. So the teacher who asked her to hand it over, did she, no. She kept doing what she wanted. She was expelled from class. The vice Principle asked her for the phone and she chose not to hand it over, and walked away. So as the Teacher and the Vice Principle can not touch this girl, it is then turned over to the next level up, the police that are assigned to that high school to deal with it.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
WTF is wrong with you..you see repurcussion or consequenses as something that requires violence..get your head checked.
non violent remedies are available.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Oh it gets even better than that. You do realize that if she was suspended, it would be an in house suspension. If she is expelled, then her parents would have 10 days to get her into another school, or end up having to take her to court to explain to a judge, with the fines, court costs and fees adding up.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Good the parents should do the parenting..not the godamned police. This child learned nothing except fear the police. I think the parent could of done better, and just because the authorities were not called do not discount an emergency situation. Most people with common sense these day have learned to avoid all contact with the police.
edit on 8-9-2014 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Nothing is wrong with me. In fact the question could be asked of you, why are you so blind as not to see the outcome?
Has no one been paying attention to what has gone on in the past, for the past 20 to 50 years? Do you not see that where the state and government is involved, if a person causes problems, it is the police that is getting more and more involved and any failure to comply with the police is a means to get a person into the system and strip them of their rights.

And it starts with individual responsibility. Oh it seems innocent at the start, there is a problem and instead of people actually taking the time to deal with it, they turn it over to the state and the state gets involved. They choose something that everyone can agree with and then it starts with a nudge here, a suggestion there, soon it becomes discouraged, and frowned on, a social faux pas, soon it goes from that to law. You see it every day and in it is in all of the news papers, making headlines time and time again. Ask yourself this, what is the biggest bad thing these days and what has been the response been? Right now, the report is that there is a growing epidemic of obesity, being over weight is considered bad, and right now it is at the simple look down at and shaming. Soon it will be lets raise the taxes/prices and then it will be restricting and ultimately out right banning, to being handed over to the state to regulate and make it against the law and the police are involved.

Disciplining children went the same way. At one time, a parent could discipline their children, schools were allowed to do such. Then someone thought it was too harsh and bad for the mental well being for children and so, it was first frowned on, and reports and studies were done, then soon it was nudge here and special government agencies were created. This in turned slowly made its way to be law, and ultimately the responsibility to discipline a child has been restricted and banned in some cases, where if it is done the person doing it gets in trouble with the law. So it has been turned over to the law and the police to do such. We complain that it is wrong that the police did this, yet people fail that the authority to do such was handed right to them, but voting on the very laws that gave them that authority.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: cavedweller88
That's pretty bizarre, and over a cellphone none the less. Probably some sort of policy of no cellphones in school for obvious reasons, but in this day and age pretty much any useless piece of information can be goggled up on a cellphone so fast that it become pointless to memorize it. The old way of schooling and teaching is pretty much unimportant and useless in our day and age, but I suppose that is another thread.

I dont know, cops are becoming a bit more sensitive to everything. But hey when you train people to be hammers all they see are nails, not only that but people to are getting way off over the slightest thing. I mean in most situations there is no need to antagonist a cop over needless things, especially if its over routine stuff, it just escalates an already non situation into a situation by them both bringing ego into it. I personally dont see why they called the cops over a cellphone, the fault lies with the school or whoever is making these policies. There should be no reason why the school or the teacher or whoever was there could not handle a girl and her cellphone by themselfs, bringing cops into the picture over something this trivial is stupid, what happened to detention or calling parents? Trust me back when I was in school what little time I spent there, I was much more afraid of the school calling my parents then anything else. Oh ya this whole thing is just set up to blow up down the line, these policies whoever is putting them in place well they definitely do not work.
edit on 5pmMondaypm082014f1pmMon, 08 Sep 2014 17:26:55 -0500 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join