It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen Tackled/Arrested/Suspended at School by Police for using Cell Phone...Teens now protest.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I don't understand why cops were needed? She broke the cell phone rule. She continued to do that. She would NOT obey the rule. Fair enough. Suspend her. Send her home for a week. Make sure that stays on her record or something. Problem solved.

Punishment should not equal violence.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: sdcigarpig

I'm not sure I understand your position. You told me in one response that you don't advocate violence against children/students. Now you seem to be praising the old days of violence against children/students and perhaps even suggest a return to such policies. So which is it?

From my understanding, disciplinary issues, or how you deal with them, can affect future college ambitions. So at least in that aspect I don't think much has changed. And I'll disagree that schools are incapable of doing anything. The only punishment options they've lost are physical ones.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: FraggleRock
I am not advocating violence against a child. I do advocate spankings. A spanking should leave no marks on a child, save it being slightly red, and a the pain reinforces not to do the misdeed. At one time, when a student was suspended or expelled, it was considered to be a very big deal to the child and their families. It was not looked on with indifference, but with horror and revulsion.

Now days if they suspend a child, it is as if it is another day off. There is no fear of consequences at all these days, save that which society chooses to enforce. And sometimes those have more drastic consequences, that we all sit back in horror and ask how could this have happened.

Right now, be it for better or worse, the raising of children was handed to the state. People don't want the responsibility. In the past 10 years if you look at the trends and things that have come about, it is obvious to that point. Take a look around the malls during Christmas, and you see where the children get more and more demanding on what they want, and less and less grateful for what they have. Go into any fast food joint and you can see how children act with little to no supervision. Take a good look at the issues that we have been told about is the problem with children and one can see a lot there. Children don't go out and play, the government says going outside is bad, so now you have children that are obese. People complain about fast food, yet no one stops to think that no one is making them stuff their faces with such that contributes to the problem. Child gets hurt, well then the rules and laws change to protect the child. Take the west coast, children are not allowed to climb trees, and can not go riding a bike without a helmet or kneepads. Even on the east coast, the rules for children are far worse, kissing is forbidden, along with playing games that were once part of being a child. Even competition is slowly becoming a thing of the past.

The ideas of causation are slowly going, where children grow up without understanding cause and effect are gone. Jails and prisons are no longer something to be feared. And the people to blame is ourselves, and our parents, the baby boomers, who handed the state the tools to take away our responsiblity, yet complain with it seems to be over reaching or harsh.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: LukeDAP
I don't understand why cops were needed? She broke the cell phone rule. She continued to do that. She would NOT obey the rule. Fair enough. Suspend her. Send her home for a week. Make sure that stays on her record or something. Problem solved.

Punishment should not equal violence.

I agree that cops should not have been involved, however, I don't agree with your "Send her home for a week" thing. Do you really think kids care if they are not able to go to school for a week? Students play sick and skip classes for a reason. Give them in school suspension. Can't be with their friends, but still gotta go to school.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: sdcigarpig
a reply to: theyknowwhoyouare
Several things: One is not to be insulting. It is uncalled for.
2: The girl broke the rules. We all have rules in our lives, that we have to abide by and not just the laws, and failure to comply with said rules have consequences, including some that are far worse than what this girl got. If you don't pay rent, you lose your place to live. If you do not show up to work on time, you lose your job. If you do not pay for utilities, they turn them off. This is no different, but what many tend to be ignoring is the fact that most schools are no longer allowed to punish students. If they do, then they face law suits by the parents. So if the school is not allowed to punish the student, and the student is disrupting class or making it hard for others to learn, what is the school to do? They call the cops and get them involved.

The only solution is to allow for schools to take a hand in punishing students again, and back the school, not just the student, especially when the student violates the rules. And right now cell phones and other items like that is a very touchy subject and issue. After all if you do not think about such then perhaps you can explain how such is a good idea to say the parents of the thirty high school students in San Diego who are all facing felony charges, stemming from all having cell phones.

If someone decided that it was a rule for you to cut your own tongue out if you uttered a swear word, would you do it? The comes a point when rules need to be broken. There comes a time when rules are invalid due to the situation. Police officers tackling a child over a school rule is absolutely atrocious. If said child violates rules send her out of the building. If the child does not desire to behave give her the choice of dropping out or going to a school full of students that are just as disruptive as her. They can either learn or not learn in said school. Their decision, but at least those who follow the rules and want to learn are not disrupted by jackasses.

Also schools should not be allowed to beat kids again. Parent's shouldn't be allowed to beat them either. As a father I find the notion to be barbaric. There are many ways to teach a child right from wrong and beating them is the worst way.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: theyknowwhoyouare

Several things:
I never said beat a child. That is uncalled for and ultimately should not happen. There is a good difference between spanking a child and beating a child. The prior leaves no marks on the child and there is no harm in such. Beating is another story, it leaves marks.

If the child is not listening to the instructions, of the teacher, or the principle, then how are they going to teach her, or even send her home? As I have stated before, the authority and the means to discipline a child is no longer in the hands of the schools or even the parents. More times than not, it lies in the hands of the police. Children run amok, the parents can’t take steps to stop them, or they are viewed as bad parents and the authorities get involved in such. Same goes with schools, teacher or a principle can not touch a child, and thus how do they keep order, but to turn it over to those who can, and that would be the police.

I am not saying that the girl should have gotten this, but here again, how many chances did she require? How many opportunities did she require before they were to take action?
And if she is like the typical teenager, she would not be so willing to change schools, as it would mean for her to leave her friends and go to a new school? And what if the new school has the same rules? Then what? Here again, if the rules are clear, then what is she to do?

As I have stated before, the ability to discipline a child any more is handed over to the state, with more and more being taken away from the adults.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
"Please add to existing thread : Here"

ok.

what's needed is a few instances of certain asshole cops getting the crap kicked out of them by mobs outraged by their behaviour. a sound thrashing works wonders sometimes. it would certainly let them know we've had enough. watch this space.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: sdcigarpig I am not saying that the girl should have gotten this, but

yes, you are.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Sounds to me that they are not exactly cops so much as security offers...HISD police...Houston intermediate school district.
Maybe actual police assigned to the school though.

So that begs the question, what kind of school requires its own police force? Surely past events have led to this.

In the video it clearly shows 2 officers holding her down not 3. The 3rd is standing.
You do not see what she was acting like when confronted by the officers. Perhaps she went into a psycho screaming fit? she was screaming in the video.

The excuse that she was checking on her "sick" mother? the text was from her father and her mother looked ok in the video. Miraculous recovery perhaps.

She broke the rules, disobeyed her superiors and was dealt the hand she asked for. I have to believe the officers may have been on sight just as part of their duties. You don't see them "tackle" her either.

What is the school supposed to do in this situation? let her get her way?

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Hopefully I can post this without violating the T&C's... I have not even started reading the replies yet.

I have a 16 year old daughter. She attends public high school. I would have been in jail before the sun set on another day had this happened to my daughter. I don't give a hot damn if that's the way anyone else would handle it or not. You can take it up the arse and let your kids take it that way as well if that's what you want.

But I will be damned if my daughter would have been violated like that for using a phone. I would have raised enough hell all over the county and finished at the sheriff's department if for no other reason than to make sure this hit as many news outlets as possible.

There are many reasons I have worked so hard to stay out of trouble with the law for 37 years. One of those being that there may come a day that I will have to use my "once" card willingly without having to worry about pulling decades in prison.

Can anybody tell me why the cops and CPS work so hard to remove a child from a home where a parent has spanked them and call it child endangerment/abuse? Why in holy hell can you wind up in jail for spanking your own child, yet this shiite is allowed to go down without questions or hesitation???

Wtf is wrong with everyone? FFS... IF ANY OF YOU HAD DONE THIS YOU WOULD BE SITTING UNDER THE JAILHOUSE! The entire public would be calling for your head to roll down Main Street for abusing your child that way. They would call for forced sterilization, life in prison, and much more within hours of a video like this being released.

Yet not everyone sees anything wrong with this. If you don't you need to wake the hell up and realize that nobody should be putting their hands on your child for something so stunningly ridiculous.

I don't even... This is too damn much.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: glend
In asia they have simpler methods of dealing with cell phones

lol... Did he really answer that in the middle of class? Wow!!

Cajones...

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 01:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

He wont make that mistake again, at least with that mobile!

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
It really does. Were you aware the no tolerance policy had to be revoked because it was negatively effecting minorities?

Another interesting fact is schools routinely have children under the age of 18 sign documents they hold them leegally accountable to.

Why are schools getting away with doing illegal things? The purpose of school resource officers is officially to help PR between the public and LEO. Its a failure.

What no tolerance police are you referring to? (genuine question)

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join