It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is The Site Becoming Over-Run With Ads And Pop-Ups?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I don't know if this is against some rule or something, hopefully not, but I need to hear some input on it. It's like this site is nearly unusable on my computer, because it's just over-run with advertisements all over the place and pop-ups. It's like, this is supposed to be a forum, I don't understand why there's constant pop-ups and ads making it difficult to even use. Don't have any problems on my phone. Now I suppose it's possible it could be my computer, but I don't see how that makes sense seeing as how it doesn't happen on any other website. So yea, is that just how the site is? It didn't used to be like this, right? Is it really just my computer, which again I don't see how that could be since it's only a problem on this website.
edit on 4-9-2014 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

(post by chloe4412 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)
(post by TheJourney removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)
(post by dumbican removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)
(post by chloe4412 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Double Post
edit on 4-9-2014 by chloe4412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 05:08 AM
link   
a reply to: TheJourney

I find all those ads annoying when I'm lurking (Not logged in) but they go away once I do log in. But it is a business and they do have to generate revenue after all.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 05:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex

I find all those ads annoying when I'm lurking (Not logged in) but they go away once I do log in. But it is a business and they do have to generate revenue after all.

Same thing here. They all go away when I log in. I think newer folks get more adverts... At least they used to. It was an incentive to participate more as well.

They don't charge a membership fee and I agree with you.... They have to make enough money to run the site some kind of way.

For those above.... A friendly reminder - You may want to edit your posts before a mod sees it. It is against the T&C's to recommend or discuss ad blockers here. It can get you banned.
edit on 9/4/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 06:25 AM
link   
The disconnect add-on for Firefox is pretty good too. I'm currently running a whopping 30% faster on this website with it active. So good for those of you like me with older computers that struggle a bit these days.
edit on -05:00am25930America/ChicagoThu, 04 Sep 2014 06:25:55 -0500246 by Painterz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Get an application that is called adblocker plus.

does wonders.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Some glitter in my periphery.

Train your mind, Jedi.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: bitsforbytes
Get an application that is called adblocker plus.

does wonders.

x2
I haven't seen an ad in months.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I think that they're still trying to find the sweet spot with the ad placement. It's a work in progress. I think they should do like other sites and just have the adds on one or both sides of the screen. No auto playing vids and no hi-jacking of the whole screen(yeah....I'm looking at you Jeep) Just adds to the left and right in little boxes. But it's hard programming this stuff in and getting it right. Takes time.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
save bandwidth and unnecessary computer resources by disabling java in browser, no need for ad blockers

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
That's one reason that I don't go on a particular (non-ATS) entertainment site anymore. They offer free full movies, comedy series shows, etc... Sounds nice, but the advertisements! Uggh!

If the only thing I remember / have as a take-away after leaving a site like that are earworms, then it's just better not to go back there.

new topics

top topics

join