It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

90 city schools failed to pass a single black or Hispanic student on state tests

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Somebody has taken a closer look at the U.S. public city schools and found some amazing problems.

Seems too many Black and Hispanic students a failing at certain subjects.

I don't know what the problem is, but there obviously *IS* a problem.

It seems the Common Core agenda is suspect?

While black and Hispanic students did better on the math and reading exams this year compared with 2013, the achievement gap still worsened, since white and Asian kids saw bigger increases. Families for Excellent Schools CEO Jeremiah Kittredge said the findings should shock the city Education Department into taking better steps to help struggling kids.

Dozens of public schools across the city failed to pass even a single black or Hispanic student on this year’s state math or reading exams, a new analysis shows.

Pro-charter school group Families for Excellent Schools found no black or Hispanic kids passed the standardized tests — based on the more stringent Common Core standards — at 90 schools with diverse student bodies.

Education Department spokeswoman Devora Kaye said: “We are committed to ensuring that all students, regardless of ethnicity or background, receive a high-quality education.”

EXCLUSIVE: 90 city schools failed to pass a single black or Hispanic student on state tests, study shows

What's Going ON !!

edit on Sep-02-2014 by xuenchen because:

+23 more 
posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

The problem with education is that you cant blame a school system. Well to a degree.YOU have to be very involved in your kids education. My wife and I home school our kid AFTER regular school. My kid is currently going to school in freaking Mexico. I bet she will incorporate into the American school system without skipping a beat. Its not because the schools are great here....Its because we care and are involved in her education.

I know many hispanic families. The problem is that they are not involved in the education their kids receive. Maybe its work, or social stress...I dont know or care. If you have kids then YOU must live and die for them. Thats why certain ethnicities do better. Its not privilege. NO. Its time and effort. Plain and simple.

Asian parents practically go to school with their kids and live every test and assignment like it was their own.

I know a guy whos parents would sit down and do his homework with him EVERYDAY until he graduated college.
He now has a great job and will probably be a freaking millionaire in a decade. Thats the difference.

I say dont bitch. Roll up your sleeves and get dirty with it. Dive in. If you really care, sacrifice something. Your time for one.

edit on 9 2 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I'm not certain we have enough information to comment. Some.contributing factors are after school activities, tutors both free and paid for by parents.

Also, common core builds. So if you don't understand previous lessons you can't really catch up. To implement this on children in the middle was not a good idea.

+7 more 
posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
If they want their kids to learn to think they should find some 50-100 year old textbooks that were written so that people could teach themselves.

What passes for schools to day are prison-like warehouses meant to indoctrinate children and keep them too confused about how things work to invent the television while plowing the fields.

If public schools were any good the rich would send their children to them.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

The problem is that they are not involved in the education their kids receive.

I agree with this.

Children need help and encouragement from their parents. They also need a healthy atmosphere. If the parents fight daily then the child won't be able to concentrate in his homework or won't even do it.

Parents have to help their children as much as they can and make sure they learn and feel happy about learning by rewarding them for good grades.

Always ask your children if they have homework, upcoming tests, projects, etc and offer to help.

Habits can be created after 21 days. Help them make a habit of always doing their work.

It would also help to explain to them how important education is to their future. It can mean the difference between living paycheck to paycheck and living comfortably in a big house.

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

How did the school fail to pass them? It would seem the child themselves failed to pass and that is on their parents. Schools are there to give kids the tools with what to learn and the parents are the ones responsible to make sure their kids use those tools and learn the subjects. It's not the teachers job to make sure little Sammy does and knows his math homework. It's the parent.

When I was in school we had to do our homework first thing after school before we did anything and then our mom would check it and go over it with us before we were allowed to play. IF anything was wrong we had to redo it until we got it right.

Too many parents today dont pay attention to what their kids are doing in school. I see it with some of my friends kids. They do the same thing and blame the school when it's their fault they aren't involved with their kids education.

My own sister is like this. My nephew was given homework over the holiday weekend last year for Christmas. SHE said he wasn't doing homework during the holidays because she thought it was stupid! Who does SHE think she is? She isn't the teacher, she is the parent and should do what the teacher asks. So when my nephew went back to school he was behind because my sister had it ingrained in his head that it was ok not to do his homework because mommy didn't like it. What it really was is mommy didn't want to do with him so she just didn't have him do it.

As for common core curriculum I have seen many friends post on it and it is ridiculous. I am not a fan of it and I am not looking forward to it when my son goes to school. Heck at that time i may just home school him. I want him to actually learn while in school. I am not a fan of current school curriculum where I live it's bad. I was bored myself in school. I didn't feel challenged.

In the end if you want your child to do well in school work WITH them. Help them. Sit down when they have homework and do it with them. You might learn something yourself and think of it as quality time with your kids which so many do not do now a days. They are too busy with their tablets and phones to even pay attention. Another observation I've made with people.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Hard for people to care when their parents lack a decent education.

I think for those hispanic families that refuse to assimilate to speak english it makes it tougher for that child to really care about his or her education if basic knowledge of history, english and math are not a big priority in their family.

I think for other parents they may have painted a picture that either one of black or hispanic decent can never be successful which is so sad..

The more educated we are as a country the better off we will be. We are all in this together...

edit on 2-9-2014 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-9-2014 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I think schools should be only responsible in giving the OPPORTUNITY to LEARN.

The EDUCATION gained from LEARNING is up to the child and the parent.
edit on 2-9-2014 by solarstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Hi Op this is what happens when schools and families let the progressive mindset in. It will destroy and lead to failure of the epic kind. Look how many young people still live at home never starting a life. So many adult children never growing up as the parents failed them early on believing this lie.

Take a look at what the PTB did after the death of Mr. King and see the future for everyone. It worked so they are implementing the plan across the the entire country. I know I sound like a broken record but what is seen cannot be unseen. We need to deal with the root not the branches.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Did this happen in poor white schools? Just curious. People need to try harder!! come on people!

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I can agree mostly that the "Parents" play a major role.

But how can we explain away the fact that many immigrants form the late 19th and early 20th Centuries produced so many successful children?

They probably had the same or similar attitudes as recent immigrants.

And how do we explain the "American" Parents that ignore the kids and schools?

What is the complex?

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

I fully agree that it is ultimately the parents' responsibility to educate their children; 100%

Stupid children with involved parents do better than brilliant children with negligent parents. That being said, taking pride in what you do, as a teacher or school administrator (if I were one), these schools failed to teach.

My mom is a Fulbright recipient due to her teaching career. That means she was damn good at it. From high school to university to community college in prison, she was able to excite and motivate her pupils. The highschool she taught at was a "problem" school, but somehow her black/Hispanic students mostly passed.

I agree the problem rests with the parents, but if you're going to teach, then take pride in your career and accept some degree of responsibility.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I had to quit school myself to help my children navigate through school. This requires full time drop what you're doing attention.

Today alone before my children even got home, I was communicating with their school.

I don't think its all the parents fault. I was specifically told not not help my kids with math. They are learning completely different than you and I did. When my kids were able to do my calculus and not their own I needed to have directions sent home.

I can't even type the words that come out my mouth helping my kids with homework. However when they get discouraged we say,"the more math you take, the more money you make " and keep it moving

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnFisher

Stupid children with involved parents do better than brilliant children with negligent parents.

Interesting.

Are there any "studies" that confirm that on a wide scale?

How does that explain for example, a Son or Daughter of Russian immigrant Parents that don't speak much English, becomes a doctor or lawyer in the U.S.?

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   

I can't cite any studies. That doesn't mean they do or don't exist. But there are numerous psychological studies regarding the affects of parental roles that would, at minimum, support such a hypothesis. Also, my own observations would indicate as much. I'm on the phone, so supportive links are difficult, but it wouldn't be much to look up various studies.

In terms of your question, I don't think it matters too much how educated the parents are. It's their involvement that counts. Take Benjamin Carson's mom for an example. I don't have much time to type it all right now, but it's worth looking up his story. Anyway, she was uneducated and illiterate, but she was very involved. Now he's a brain surgeon.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I think there are a lot of factors here.

-The parents.
-The teachers/students.
-The school system.
-The kids.

The parents need to take responsibility in their childs schooling. If you start noticing a problem, find a way to help fix it. When it comes to black and Hispanic students, I notice a lack of interest in the subjects and more of an interest in playing around and disrupting class. This is most likely a call for attention. Those who lack attention from adults, will go out of their way for attention, it doesn't matter if it's positive or negative attention. So I can only assume these children are lacking attention from their parents. And that's nothing that anyone aside from the parents can fix.

Lets face it, some of the teachers in schools blow chunks. Really. I remember in high school, I was the over achiever. In Ohio, we have OGTs (Ohio graduation tests) that you have to pass. If you don't, you don't graduate. I passed all of my tests aside from Math at above average. I was the one that people came to when they needed help, specifically in English/Literary and History/Government/Economics/Social Issues. My senior year, I was taking two math classes and a remedial math class that would help me pass my math OGT which I had taken five times before my senior year. I was failing the math classes, but passing the remedial, which I did at home on the computer. Eventually, I switched both classes. One of them, I couldn't switch teachers, but I could switch which period I had the class. For that class, the teacher wasn't a problem. It was actually the other students. By the end of the year, I was passing. For the other math class, I was able to switch the teacher, and things changed immediately. I had spent one week in the new class, doing all of the same things I was doing in the other, had a test at the end of the week, and ace'd it. Some teachers just aren't very good. Or are good and just don't work well with the student that maybe needs extra help, or doesn't understand things the same way as other students do.

The school system in general could be the problem. Those who are in sports know that teachers will pass them because it works pass to play. Extra curricular activities are seen as more important than your grades. So people spend more time on their extras and not enough time on their homework. Thus making the bare minimum passing grade and failing tests. Teachers also only teach what's on such and such tests that result back on how well they teach. Teachers aren't what they were years and years ago. Now it's only about what makes them look good. The whole system needs an overhaul.

And lastly, it's up to the kids in the classes to want to pass. They have to do their part. And when they fail, they need to be held accountable. There are some examples (like my own) where the teacher may be at fault. But with a lot of 'minorities' they aren't held responsible. The child gets a failing grade, and the parent comes in waving a midterm in hand crying that it's the teachers fault. Which isn't fair. It takes two to pass a class.

But that's just my opinion.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
In my opinion bad parenting and poverty are probably the biggest factors in children not behing able to even get a passable grade in this day an age.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Unless the student is extremely bright. It's usually the parents that make or break the student.

Over the weekend. We sat our butts down with our kids and helped them with their VPK and Kindergarden homework. And read together with them.

You have to start early otherwise it's a disaster from the beginning.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
Unless the student is extremely bright. It's usually the parents that make or break the student.

Over the weekend. We sat our butts down with our kids and helped them with their VPK and Kindergarden homework. And read together with them.

You have to start early otherwise it's a disaster from the beginning.

So true. And if you don't want to help your child, they make some pretty good educational daycare centers that will.
I don't know about other people, but if I was a parent and my child was failing, I would feel like a failure, too.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join