It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

90 city schools failed to pass a single black or Hispanic student on state tests

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

That desperation, need, and work ethic doesn't carry over past 2nd generation --- according to the person being interviewed.

Do you actually believe that theory?

If that's true, how does it explain successful 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th generation family success?

But it could explain many family failures.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
It's really not that complex. Poverty is a cop out. I worked since I was 13 and still got straight A's. By studying. And my parents cared. Now I'm a parent. I practice spelling words with my 2nd grader every week night. She gets every word right on the test. Guess how many she'd get right if I didn't care and didn't make her practice? Maybe half?

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

Families like yours are exactly what the banking cartels and feds want.

Deeply entrenched in the system and with plenty to lose if you try to get out.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: corvuscorrax
a reply to: jjkenobi

Families like yours are exactly what the banking cartels and feds want.

Deeply entrenched in the system and with plenty to lose if you try to get out.

Families like his are what made the US a powerhouse! It's the families who simply depend on government to take care of their children, wages, housing that have created the malaise we are now in.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

That desperation, need, and work ethic doesn't carry over past 2nd generation --- according to the person being interviewed.

Do you actually believe that theory?

If that's true, how does it explain successful 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th generation family success?

But it could explain many family failures.

One immigrant family among thousands?

Obviously, as in all studies, it covers a larger perspective.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Ok, here is another article that says all of the city student scores took a plunge with the new national testing that was recently introduced. Apparently these tests are a recent development and everyone is having a hard time including the teachers. Many teachers are even complaining.

Article:

City students' scores take dramatic plunge on new standardized tests
m.nydailynews.com...

Let's not misperceive what this article is saying. It says 90 city schools,

At 31 city schools with a combined enrollment of 1,065 black students, none passed the state math exam. At another 28 schools, zero out of 613 Hispanic students passed the math test. State reading exams saw similar results.

..which is probably a small percentage of all the city schools in this country. I suspect, as the article I posted confirms, in those particular schools, there is probably a lower percentage of white kids who are passing those exams as well. It is probably due to them being in some of the most 'financially challenged' neighborhoods.

The article fails to mention the many black and Hispanic kids around the nation who do not go to those 90 schools who are passing these tests.
edit on 3-9-2014 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman
a reply to: xuenchen

I know a guy whos parents would sit down and do his homework with him EVERYDAY until he graduated college.
He now has a great job and will probably be a freaking millionaire in a decade. Thats the difference.

If his parents did his homework with him until he graduated from college, he's got much bigger problems than an inability to pass tests. I hope they're also going to work with him and doing his work. They might become millionaires but he won't be able to select toilet paper in the grocery store himself.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: WilsonWilson
Dont low income earners in the States have to work about 3 jobs to live? do these childrens parents have the time, are they even home to help with homework?
It's so easy to blame parents when kids are at all school for the majority of their time.
Schools are like factories now, teachers have no time or inclination to help struggling children.

And so we get the travesty of "No Child Left Behind".
We pass them along even if they're not getting it; the
footballs dropped and then kicked away are too numerous
to properly deal with---
and in a few generations you get elected officials with the
thought processes capable to actually believe (I saw his
lips move) Guam is going to capsize and sink from all the
personnel and hardware parked on it.
The factory cranking out this human product needs to be
closed for repairs-- or better yet sold to a real manufacturer.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

Read the whole thing... That is why I took the time to link. It is not a gender issue rather a generational issue. But pick a side if you like and and argue points with no meaning so no improvements can be made.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eyemin

Read the whole thing... That is why I took the time to link. It is not a gender issue rather a generational issue. But pick a side if you like and and argue points with no meaning so no improvements can be made.

YOUR comment was about "women having children by five, six men". I responded to YOUR comment. If you had intended to hold the five, six men equally responsible, you wouldn't have left them out of the post. For what it's worth, I agree with you about some women having children they can't support by multiple men but I also hold the men equally responsible. My criticism was about your glaring omission of men. I agree that it's a generational thing.

I think it's high time that people who don't have children be rewarded with, for example, tax breaks. This society still rewards people for reproducing. Overpopulation is a huge foundational problem. One big step toward getting out of poverty is to have fewer or no children. However, so that I am not misunderstood, I believe that people should be paid living wages and should have, without exception, basic food, shelter, and medical care.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
You are just mad and antsy and wanted to drag me into a fight. I was more concerned with how children are being raised.

" My criticism was about your glaring omission of men."- If I wanted to omit men... I WOULDN"T HAVE LINKED IT. Take some time and read the whole thing... otherwise quit wasting my time and yours.

"I think it's high time that people who don't have children be rewarded with, for example, tax breaks."

Sorry, but my culture having a family is important.

Here is a link that i am sure you will ignore Tax the Childless.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Probably lack of attendance. School administrators only demand that students show up a couple days a month to stay enrolled. The school gets money based on enrolled students. Administrators only care about "enrolled" status so the money keeps coming in. Education is not a requirement to receive funds.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: MALBOSIA
Probably lack of attendance. School administrators only demand that students show up a couple days a month to stay enrolled.

Where would that be? Around here if your kid doesn't show up for school every day, you better have a damn good reason, or you're going to jail.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Close to the same here, after so many late/absent days, a court order is sent to the family. It might be nature vs nurture issue...School vs parents.... or sometimes its just a bad seed...

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   

You are just mad and antsy and wanted to drag me into a fight. I was more concerned with how children are being raised.

" My criticism was about your glaring omission of men."- If I wanted to omit men... I WOULDN"T HAVE LINKED IT. Take some time and read the whole thing... otherwise quit wasting my time and yours.

"I think it's high time that people who don't have children be rewarded with, for example, tax breaks."

Sorry, but my culture having a family is important.

Here is a link that i am sure you will ignore Tax the Childless.

In the culture you complained about, having children is important, too. That's why those women have children with five/six different men. And in that same culture, men fathering children is important (although, apparently, supporting them isn't). Don't you think cultural expectations can be and should be changed?

I read the link. It makes absolutely no sense to increase taxes for people who have no children while giving tax breaks to those who do have children. Each child, throughout his or her life, will consume massive resources and many of those resources are currently subsidized via taxes paid by people without children. Moreover, overpopulation makes life increasingly less pleasant for everyone .

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Close to the same here, after so many late/absent days, a court order is sent to the family. It might be nature vs nurture issue...School vs parents.... or sometimes its just a bad seed...

But it's not. Every child in the US must be educated up to a certain age (varies).

Parents can choose from a variety of methods. They do not have to send their child to public school.

But, public school Is funded per child. If your child goes to public school, you are responsible for the funding that school receives for having your child in that school. If your child does not attend, you are basically stealing from the government. It also jeopardizes the education of other students.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   

I am starting to enjoy you...

"In the culture you complained about, having children is important, too."

Again i did not select any people to target, Bill Cosby did. I used his words to speak the point that some times its not the disadvantages of a society that keeps people down... some times its the people. I chose Bill Cosby because he is African American, and since no one here can state my race, i didn't want my words to be skewed making me appear like a racist or even sexist. I wanted to focus on the issue that there are bad parents with a horrible moral compass, and regardless of outside influences sometimes people can't escape the cycle of poverty because of choices they made. However their are children, who do not want to be their mothers 5/6 kid from different dads, but does want to have a chance to escape that hell.
"Don't you think cultural expectations can be and should be changed?" No- The country in which I live everyone is welcome, even those who hate it. It sounds like you wish to force assimilation on a people because you find them in the wrong. What makes you so certain you are the one that is right?

Now to help you make me look like a bad guy I thought I would share this

"Moreover, overpopulation makes life increasingly less pleasant for everyone ."
[/quote]

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman
The problem with education is that you cant blame a school system. Well to a degree.YOU have to be very involved in your kids education. My wife and I home school our kid AFTER regular school. My kid is currently going to school in freaking Mexico. I bet she will incorporate into the American school system without skipping a beat. Its not because the schools are great here....Its because we care and are involved in her education.

Both my kids get tutored outside of school, and they get tutored throughout summer for the next year. My wife sits down with them every night to work with them though their homework and make sure they do it right and on time... Both are 4.0 students.. call us crazy....

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   

I am starting to enjoy you...

"In the culture you complained about, having children is important, too."

Again i did not select any people to target, Bill Cosby did. I used his words to speak the point that some times its not the disadvantages of a society that keeps people down... some times its the people. I chose Bill Cosby because he is African American, and since no one here can state my race, i didn't want my words to be skewed making me appear like a racist or even sexist. I wanted to focus on the issue that there are bad parents with a horrible moral compass, and regardless of outside influences sometimes people can't escape the cycle of poverty because of choices they made. However their are children, who do not want to be their mothers 5/6 kid from different dads, but does want to have a chance to escape that hell.
"Don't you think cultural expectations can be and should be changed?" No- The country in which I live everyone is welcome, even those who hate it. It sounds like you wish to force assimilation on a people because you find them in the wrong. What makes you so certain you are the one that is right?

Now to help you make me look like a bad guy I thought I would share this

"Moreover, overpopulation makes life increasingly less pleasant for everyone ."
[/quote]

You did exactly that which you accused me of doing. That you don't see that makes it unlikely that continuing this exchange will prove rewarding to anyone.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join