It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

90 city schools failed to pass a single black or Hispanic student on state tests

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
There are lots of poor kids of various colors who will be failures in school. The people that I'm referring to are poor because they have never learned to succeed here in the US. Sadly that doesn't mean that they won't have children. Probably more children then most middle class families.

Those children being brought up by parent(s) who have not mastered the skills to be in the middle class most likely don't see the value in education. They may also be not as smart as other people. Their children will most likely not be successful in school.

We already have too many poor people here in the US. We don't need any more.

Remember statistically half the kids are below average.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
My GF is in her last year of school before she becomes a teacher. Its crazy the things she has to put up with. Parents thinking children acting up and not getting good grades is the schools fault not the parents..

Most of these parents are idiots though. My GF cant send home any notes to parents or fliers or anything that’s not at or below a 3rd grade reading level. Because most parents wont be able to comprehend. That’s school policy think about that..

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman
a reply to: xuenchen

The problem with education is that you cant blame a school system. Well to a degree.YOU have to be very involved in your kids education. My wife and I home school our kid AFTER regular school. My kid is currently going to school in freaking Mexico. I bet she will incorporate into the American school system without skipping a beat. Its not because the schools are great here....Its because we care and are involved in her education.

I know many hispanic families. The problem is that they are not involved in the education their kids receive. Maybe its work, or social stress...I dont know or care. If you have kids then YOU must live and die for them. Thats why certain ethnicities do better. Its not privilege. NO. Its time and effort. Plain and simple.

Asian parents practically go to school with their kids and live every test and assignment like it was their own.

I know a guy whos parents would sit down and do his homework with him EVERYDAY until he graduated college.
He now has a great job and will probably be a freaking millionaire in a decade. Thats the difference.

I say dont bitch. Roll up your sleeves and get dirty with it. Dive in. If you really care, sacrifice something. Your time for one.

That's very true. They would call those parents "Jewish mothers" who always push and push to make sure their kids get a good deal. On the male side is the "graybeard father" who would go into the school and growl at the teachers to make sure their kids got taught the whole syllabus.

Many times teachers would just throw their hands up in the air and say "That kid is unteachable!" simply because they couldn't explain the subjects clearly. Sometimes they would make up their own mathematics notation, or use multi-colored equations or reduce lessons down to copying stuff off a blackboard for an hour.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: PraetorianAZ
My GF is in her last year of school before she becomes a teacher. Its crazy the things she has to put up with. Parents thinking children acting up and not getting good grades is the schools fault not the parents..

Most of these parents are idiots though. My GF cant send home any notes to parents or fliers or anything that’s not at or below a 3rd grade reading level. Because most parents wont be able to comprehend. That’s school policy think about that..

Hmmm.

If she's not yet a "teacher", why does she have to "put up" with anything?

If she's not yet a "teacher", how does she know "most of" these parents are idiots?

But I agree perhaps the school "policy" is faulty.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
My wife is a high school counselor, in a good school district for the last 8 or so years she was in Elementary first and moved to high school. So she has seen the beginning and end of students time in school.

I dont have the time or space to go on about everything she tells me that happens, but I can tell you its 90% parents fault combined with the kid themselves...the schools take the other 10%.

The parents blame everything on the school and teachers, then people wonder why kids dont take any responsibility these days. They learn it from their parents. They are told they are held back because of the rich , the white, the government, etc. They are setup to fail from the get go because the parents failed in their own lives and blamed the system as well and the kids hear this since they could walk and talk.

They have dumbed down the tests and grading so much that it has affected the entire country, its now lowered the education that everyone gets strictly to try and pass those that do not want to work and pass themselves. Its so hard to fail you have to actually try to. No Im not joking, teachers are not allowed to give a zero anymore, kid does not turn in assignment, they have till the end of the week to turn in ANYTHING and they will get a 70. So that kid has to not only not turn in a paper, but wait another entire week and still not turn it in to actually fail that one assignment.

Now of coarse if you are doing this, your not learning what you need to pass a test, same thing. Kid can retake anything under a 70 again to try to get a 70 on a test.

Then you have the big test to graduate and move on, they drill kids on taking this test more than anything else that is taught in school. You cant prepare them anymore than they do for taking this test, so much its again impacting the normal subjects that students learn. Its taking the rest of population down just to help these kids out and it still doesnt make them pass because they do not give a damn.

I get tired of hearing how poor people and minorities are trapped and cant get out to make a better life, yet when a majority do get the chance, they dont want it and miss the opportunity. Being in Texas we got alot of what has been deemed "Katrina kids" from when they got shifted around, any families that got lucky enough to end up in our school district had the chance of a lifetime to move up and out for good. They did not want it, most these kids told my wife who worked with alot of them on a daily/weekly basis , they did not care and all they wanted to do was go back to New Orleans and be like it was, and they came in groups so its not like they were all alone. Yes I get starting a new life is hard as hell, and having to move sucked for these kids, but these ended up in a best case scenario and she said 9 out of 10 left or dropped out before the school year even ended, only one or 2 here and there actually ran with it and tried to succeed.

I dont know what else can be done to tell the truth, but it cant be dumbed down anymore and I dont know what that means or how to fix it...I wish I did
edit on 2-9-2014 by Wiz4769 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   
An aggressive open-source movement could turn America's failing educational system around.

It's time to relieve the archaic federal government and a for-profit publishing lobby from their self-imposed duty of overseeing our nation's knowledge base.

As an example of just how powerful open-source education can be, check out "themathpage" and its free arithmetic as-well-as basic algebra tutorials. If you take a careful look at each tutorial, you'll be amazed.

source: www.themathpage.com...

edit on 2-9-2014 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   

She’s a student teacher so she does everything a teacher does just doesn’t get paid for it (yet). She leads the class talks with parents calls home the whole deal. Its a low income school but most of the parents did not graduate high school or even speak English. During parent teacher conferences they have to have a interpreter and when speaking in English are told not to use big or multi syllable words English or Spanish.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: PraetorianAZ

Thanks for the explanation.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
A thought...

We seem to push education as a means for social success. Perhaps it is that metric which is off. In which of any system (natural or man made) do all participants reach equal success?

Maybe this (the results in the OP) is what a normal distribution (more or less) looks like. The idea of a "middle class" is totally contrived and arbitrary. Not everyone is wired to be a doctor or an MBA. Heck, some are not wired to balance a checkbook.

Early/Mid 20th century, the US economy was constructed much differently than today. That kid who could not balance a checkbook could still reach some level of self sufficiency. It's still kinda' there today but not to the same degree and there are a ton more non-checkbook balancers.

Yet we churn them through the same paradigm, pump them full of pie-in-the-sky ideas, and dump them into a perceived desert of non-opportunity. You are a failure if you make minimum wage. You are a failure if you do manual labor.

I argue it is more a myopic cultural thing than an educational failure.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
I can agree mostly that the "Parents" play a major role.

But how can we explain away the fact that many immigrants form the late 19th and early 20th Centuries produced so many successful children?

They probably had the same or similar attitudes as recent immigrants.

And how do we explain the "American" Parents that ignore the kids and schools?

What is the complex?

Todays parents were raised in the era of self esteem

Praising them for doing nothing, praising them for just being and encouraging self centeredness.

Not all for sure, but a fair number were raised by parents and teachers who wanted to make sure they felt good about themselves all the time, and in exchange they learned to only think about themselves.

A child can be a trophy for young black unwed fathers, they brag, and desert the children. The women are left to raise children all alone and doing it all, leaving them too tired to do anything but do what it takes to make their children feel good just like their parents did to them. It does not feel good to do homework or study.

Again, not all for sure, but a fair number.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   
A factor a lot of people don't take into account is that a good portion of parents and in most cases students don't want to be 'successful' in this day and age. They see the arbitrary hamster wheel that schools and others are trying to push them on and decide against it.

I'm fortunate to have found a niche myself where I am content with my circumstances but largely am inactive from the financial/career system and I notice that I'm much happier and content than a lot of people I observe who are entrenched in the system.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 05:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: VforVendettea
If they want their kids to learn to think they should find some 50-100 year old textbooks that were written so that people could teach themselves.

What passes for schools to day are prison-like warehouses meant to indoctrinate children and keep them too confused about how things work to invent the television while plowing the fields.

If public schools were any good the rich would send their children to them.

The last sentence is by itself worth the whole thread
being started, V. We are what we're forced to eat. And
you can bet some very rich, very evil people steer those
educational agendas.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   
It is the SCHOOLS responsibility to educate the child, they are in the schools possession for the majority of their day, yet it's the parents who are to blame?
If a child was a little behind you could say this, but for a whole sector of a schoolspupils to fail, that is a problem within the schooling system.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   
My personal experience with student teachers was much better than that.

I had a bad week, went out on Friday and was telling my friends what my son did. It was horrible btw! This woman walked up, said are you ()mom? I was like yes...?)

Turns out she was my childs student teacher, she recognized what my son did. She told me the school thought my son had a disability and decided not to tell me. They specifically told her not to tell me. First thing Monday my child was at the Dr. He had to go to Kennedy Kreiger Institute and was diagnosed.

Your GF needs to think about a parents job. Its to be part of the education team. A child can't always understand how to speak up for themself. That doesn't mean that child doesn't get chastised at home.

ETA: That student teacher saved my family many tears!!

originally posted by: PraetorianAZ

edit on 3-9-2014 by Iamthatbish because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-9-2014 by Iamthatbish because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   

All this tells me is that the progressive/leftist social planning is working perfectly.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I remembered a story I was told by a teacher.

She had a recent chinese immigrant come to her school.

The little girl barely spoke english. However she struggled and worked hard and did all her work. And she also did all of her homework every day and was up to date.

The girl went home with no homework and the next day the parent confronted the teacher. The teacher told her that her daughter was caught up and didn't have any more homework.

The parent did not care. Her response was "send more work".

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Dont low income earners in the States have to work about 3 jobs to live? do these childrens parents have the time, are they even home to help with homework?
It's so easy to blame parents when kids are at all school for the majority of their time.
Schools are like factories now, teachers have no time or inclination to help struggling children.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: WilsonWilson
Dont low income earners in the States have to work about 3 jobs to live? do these childrens parents have the time, are they even home to help with homework?
It's so easy to blame parents when kids are at all school for the majority of their time.
Schools are like factories now, teachers have no time or inclination to help struggling children.

Parents have a primary responsibility to their children.

You have a child, it becomes your #1 priority in life, children are literally the future of humanity.

I know of a family who lived in poverty with 6 children in the slums of Houston, they took the time, took it, made it, and all of their children, all, are now professionals, Doctors, Lawyers etc. Poverty is not an excuse not to make the time, no matter how tired , to make certain your children do their homework and do things to enrich their minds, like read to and then with them. Books are cheap at thrift stores.

My daughter is a teacher and the children whose parents let them fend for themselves are generally out of control in the classroom. The teachers are no longer allowed to really discipline due to legal proscriptions.

I taught child development in college and know that if a child is not under "control", well loved, well cared for, disciplined, and enriched by age 3, it is not unusual for that child to be "lost" forever. Especially if the parents are working 3 jobs and neglect the children for the rest of their lives, and don't discipline, and don't try and enrich them, or help them.

My sister works with inner city very poor children and has found that most are so neglected by their parents that the first goal for them in Kindergarten is to form a complete sentence. Don't blame the teachers when the children arrive so neglected that if they stay in those homes, the school system hasn't a prayer of ever truly educating the child who becomes a disruption and attention hog to the teachers later, leading to problems teaching the entire class.

edit on 9Wed, 03 Sep 2014 09:42:25 -0500am90309amk033 by grandmakdw because: punctuation

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
But how can we explain away the fact that many immigrants form the late 19th and early 20th Centuries produced so many successful children?

Was just listening to a radio talk discussion the other day on exactly that.

That desperation, need, and work ethic doesn't carry over past 2nd generation --- according to the person being interviewed.

Only caught part of the show. Didn't get any names.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Lyxdeslic

Your examples just goes to show how standardized curriculum and teaching is the problem. It's absolutely ridiculous to expect every child to learn the same way and to expect teachers to reach every student with the same teaching style.

When schools became more about test taking preparation and less about education, we all lost.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join