It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas pastor demands public library ‘purge’ vampire books: I think it’s dangerous for kids

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Advantage

Well that's no fun... I guess you tell telemarketers to just take you off their call list, too, instead of stringing them along pretending to buy something (say they are selling windows, doors, or siding) then at the last minute as they are about to complete the sale, quickly say, "Oh yeah I have an apartment."

HAHA! Nope, Im very gentle with telemarketers.. they earn jack crap in a crappy job. Time is money... and they need it. I dont jack them around.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   

I used to work in telemarketing and I used to get jacked around on the regular. By the way, if you think you are being clever with them, they've heard it before, probably. However, there was this one time I genuinely enjoyed the guy screwing with me. I was selling windows, doors, and siding (see that example I mentioned earlier was relevant) and the guy told me he didn't have any. So what transpired afterwards was a 5 minute conversation where I asked him how he lived in the house and he answered with nonsense (apparently he gets all his oxygen and supplies from a small pipe coming out of the roof). Good times. I had a laugh.

There were also times where I would prank the people I was calling and give them names that were CLEARLY not indicative of my accent (I'm male and gave names like Elizabeth or Mary. I'm also white and I'd give names like Akhbar or Tyreese). More good times. God that job sucked...

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I used to work in telemarketing and I used to get jacked around on the regular. By the way, if you think you are being clever with them, they've heard it before, probably. However, there was this one time I genuinely enjoyed the guy screwing with me. I was selling windows, doors, and siding (see that example I mentioned earlier was relevant) and the guy told me he didn't have any. So what transpired afterwards was a 5 minute conversation where I asked him how he lived in the house and he answered with nonsense (apparently he gets all his oxygen and supplies from a small pipe coming out of the roof). Good times. I had a laugh.

There were also times where I would prank the people I was calling and give them names that were CLEARLY not indicative of my accent (I'm male and gave names like Elizabeth or Mary. I'm also white and I'd give names like Akhbar or Tyreese). More good times. God that job sucked...

Nahh Im not clever with them. I tell them basically there is no chance in hell they will make a sale with me and they shouldnt waste their time with me. Make another call and they may have more luck.
LMAO about the pipe and roof!!
He was probably a psychotic prepper and was telling the truth! LOL!

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Don't tell my wife I said this, but... BAN THEM!!

I'm kidding. But if I were to dream up a regulation on what is shown for entertainment, I would ban anything that made an attempt to show "reality". I don't mean only ban "reality shows" but any show that attempts to depict normality in a family unit or any social setting.

Entertainment should be just that, entertainment. What we have today on prime time television, with the exception of all the vampire series, is a depiction of what a "normal" family and/or group of friends are supposed to behave like. We have proven that we are impressionable when it comes to following depicted characters, so more care needs to be put into what is depicted. Since everyone will never agree on a perfect "normal" then we should just steer clear from it. Visual entertainment should only consist of art and fiction.

I might be coming off wrong. My concern is that those that control the distribution of images we see as entertainment currently have the power to alter what we see as normal or acceptable.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
and he's doing this because Vampires kill more people than Christians and...oh wait..that's not true. Christians kill more people than Vampires. um....

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Hmmm... Maybe I do these things because I'm a natural comedian with a dark sense of humor...

edit on 2-9-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
and he's doing this because Vampires kill more people than Christians and...oh wait..that's not true. Christians kill more people than Vampires. um....

Well, Ill tell you this about the vampires: I was creeped the hell out by a 30-something year old family member who was all into the twiight series.. gushing about this idiot boy who plays the main vampire. She showed me a pic of him and I said she was verging on pedophilia. HE was smooth hairless boyish and if he tucked, he would look like a 10 year old girl. LOL!!

Seriously though, its weird.. grown women reading this drivel and getting all hot and bothered by these kid actors. Yech..

edit on 2-9-2014 by Advantage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

A bit late for that! Or maybe he never studied literature at school?

Next week: we should ban all books about fairies, angels and other mythical beings. Oh, wait .....

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   

It doesn't help that it is WILDLY sexist and demeaning to women since the story is about a bland, helpless girl who needs her sexy, dark, edgy, but caring man to come rescue her from (what? I'm not really sure, being an emo teenager?). Basically the whole series is like reading a story about a knight rescuing a princess set from the princess' perspective. Like whenever any action is about to go down, the direction shifts to some stupidity that the protagonist is doing (like literally reenacting Romeo and Juliet despite both her and the vampire having access to cell phones that would easily clear up the confusion).

Like the protagonist has literally ZERO redeeming qualities and is beyond stupid in her actions throughout the books/movies. That isn't even touching on the fact that the vampire has borderline stalker habits (apparently at one point he sneaks into her room to watch her sleep), and not to mention he is a pedophile (he's a vampire, he's ancient) that happens to look like a 17 year old. These two proceed to create the most self-destructive relationship possible. I think there may be even some battered wife syndrome going on there too. I could go on and on, but then I'd have to actually look up more plot details about this horrid series and I feel like I already know too much about what happens in it.

Here this should be a fun read:
Twilight - Cracked

This is at the bottom of the article

Alleged Sexism

Stephenie Meyer, the series' author, has been criticized for her portrayal of a weak, helpless female lead who falls madly in love with a man who wants to kill her. Others disagree and claim that the relationship has fair precedent, citing the common practice of marriages to incarcerated serial killers and the notorious original ending to the movie Terminator. This idea has been backed up by legions of the books' fans, prompting others of the female persuasion to attempt to forcibly remove their extra X chromosome.

edit on 2-9-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
After reading this I just sit back and remember when the game that all of the children wanted to have and I had to try to sell was Pokemon. And one of the customers who came in was a pastor and he thought such was evil and did not believe it would be for his children. And I asked him the following question:

What is far more evil, a set of cards where a child can indulge in a bit of being a child and imagination or a child who is not allowed to do such and decided to get into something like gangs and drugs?

The reality that this pastor fails to understands is that if he makes this big of a stink about those kinds of books, will only make the children and teens decide to look and check them out. It is after all human nature.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: AgentSmith
So he's going after fantasy books about mythical creatures...

Does this mean all of the Bibles and other religious texts will be removed too?

Exactly first thing I was thinking about this, followed by Fahrenheit 451 - how strange that movie was when I watched it as kid.

This pastor provides good background for why religion and its instruments should be kept away from everyday life and politics... or soon you will have the same thin people who ended up under ISIS rule everywhere - rules made by bronze age books and their myths and supposedly 'moral'...

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Vampires aren't dangerous. They're stupid. There should be one vampire book in every library - Dracula. The spin-offs are asinine.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: sdcigarpig

Pokemon is about animal cruelty and grandiose cock fights.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

If we outlaw vampires, only vampires will be outlaws!

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Restricted

What? You don't LIKE the sparkly vampires?

hahahahaha

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: OpinionatedB

I never understood the draw that tween girls had for the vampires like Edward Cullen. They were cold dead old bodies with bad breath. But the wolf like Jacob was alive and warm. So why pick the dead guy? Doesn't make sense to me. Team Jacob.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Osama Bin Laden + George Bush.

Still a better love story than "Twilight".

But even weirdo's need to read.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: OpinionatedB

I never understood the draw that tween girls had for the vampires like Edward Cullen. They were cold dead old bodies with bad breath. But the wolf like Jacob was alive and warm. So why pick the dead guy? Doesn't make sense to me. Team Jacob.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

Tween psycho sexual attraction memes stem perhaps from their inner child in an attempt to control their awaking femininity and locus of control. Manifesting in bio energic terms, that this level needs realigning, balancing and enhancement thru fantasy, role playing, etal....

God help me...I'm turning into Dr. Phil!!!

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Ack!!! I need to scrub my eyes!

You'd better thank your lucky little foot that I wasn't drinking anything while reading that. Otherwise, you'd be receiving a bill for a new screen monitor and keyboard.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12
Ah, a man of cloth who has his finger on the pulse of the world. (insert eyeroll.) Well, yes, Rev. Start with imaginary Creatures of the Night. Then strip libraries of all textbooks that mention Ebola, which isn't make-believe and could be deadly to grown ups.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join