It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas pastor demands public library ‘purge’ vampire books: I think it’s dangerous for kids

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Well there goes the bible. Plenty of vampires

Proverbs 30:14 - [There is] a generation, whose teeth [are as] swords, and their jaw teeth [as] knives, to devour the poor from off the earth, and the needy from [among] men.

Leviticus 17:10-14 - And whatsoever man [there be] of the house of Israel, or of the strangers that sojourn among you, that eateth any manner of blood; I will even set my face against that soul that eateth blood, and will cut him off from among his people. (Read More...)

Revelation 16:6 - For they have shed the blood of saints and prophets, and thou hast given them blood to drink; for they are worthy.

Deuteronomy 12:23 - Only be sure that thou eat not the blood: for the blood [is] the life; and thou mayest not eat the life with the flesh.

Joel 1:6 - For a nation is come up upon my land, strong, and without number, whose teeth [are] the teeth of a lion, and he hath the cheek teeth of a great lion.

Revelation 9:8 - And they had hair as the hair of women, and their teeth were as [the teeth] of lions.

Acts 15:28-29 - For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things; (Read More...)

Revelation 17:6 - And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration.

1 Chronicles 11:19 - And said, My God forbid it me, that I should do this thing: shall I drink the blood of these men that have put their lives in jeopardy? for with [the jeopardy of] their lives they brought it. Therefore he would not drink it. These things did these three mightiest.

Proverbs 30:13 - [There is] a generation, O how lofty are their eyes! and their eyelids are lifted up.

Deuteronomy 32:17 - They sacrificed unto devils, not to God; to gods whom they knew not, to new [gods that] came newly up, whom your fathers feared not.

Psalms 10:11 - He hath said in his heart, God hath forgotten: he hideth his face; he will never see [it].

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Not Authorized
a reply to: beezzer

The Bible. One of the worst mind viruses to have ever plagued mankind. Besides, it may have just been a Roman Psyop according to some. Why let it continue?

Or, at the very least, a historical preamble explaining to the reader it is all make believe, on par with Harry Potter for accuracy and truth. With a giant fiction tag on every cover.

At least in Harry Potter, voldemort, the bad guy, was the evil genocidal madman with a racial superiority complex. In the Bible, the genocidal maniac, with a racial superiority as a vice, is God himself, with over 2 million killings directly attributed to him.

So you agree with the pastor on banning of books.

You just disagree with what KIND of books need banning.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Pastor is a moron. One of my novels is a "Vampire" book with lots of naughty passages so he can sit and spin.

Given his criteria, he would ban one of the greatest Christian allegorical tales of all time--C.S. Lewis' "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. What an idiot.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Eye for an eye. If we are going full darkness, let the book burning begin. Starting with the book of the genocidal tribal war God YHWH. Then we can move on to Harry Potter.

It is sarcasm.

Personally, I'd be happy with a fiction disclaimer.

And no Beezer, I do not believe in burning any books. What is needed, is books of fiction, remaining fiction. When people forget that, this pastors attitude is the result.

Did not Jesus say, loved thy neighbor as thyself in that same book? This pastor wants me to go through his personal library and choose which books he can read? That's his attitude against his neighbor.

Come now. Be reasonable. I know you are.
edit on 3-9-2014 by Not Authorized because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I believe in book burning. Let's start with that hack Dean Koontz and follow up with Jackie Collins.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Not Authorized

It's why I asked the question to begin with.

I wanted to put it in context.

Banning may be in the eye of the beholder, but banning of anything just indicates a similar mindset of the pastor.

Glad to see you aren't serious about the banning however.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Of course not my friend. I would never ban any book. I'm mocking him. Even when books have it all wrong, they can still be used as an example to increase knowledge.

That is my context. He complains about fictional stories of vampires, yet forgets the Book of Judges alone is certainly not bed time reading for children.

If he wants to go though my library, i reserve the same right to go though his.

Part of that treat thy neighbor as thyself thing.
edit on 3-9-2014 by Not Authorized because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I've been following along here.
Just got off the phone with someone who reports that even among the staunchest CATHOLIC churches they don't allow youths to read Harry Potter. Ridiculous. Utterly ridiculous.

I was listening to the story, and said, "Wait - this sounds like Evangelical Protestants!" But was assured - in this case it was Catholics. Threats of hell, browbeating, uber-controlling, lies, etc.

Ugghhhh

edit on 9/3/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Heh... sorry about that BuzzyWigs (I love that name by the way. It sounds happy!). I just get rather tired of people claiming faith in God, and displaying a total lack of faith by their actions. It makes it all too easy for those with genuine, and robust belief, to be tarred with a brush which ought never to touch us. Normal, or at least marginally polite service will be resumed shortly

You're "sorry"?? NONONonono..I APPLAUD you. Very well spoken.
Even if you don't like cold beer.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Hehe. You are right, I like my ale... but I drink my Rum with cold cola and ice!

I just think it would be better for everyone if people stopped trying to dictate to one another so much. If we could just reign that crap in, then all the religions in the world could get along much better.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
disgusting. when i was going to church as a teen we had a youth minister that taught us about and even gave us books on the subjects of occult matters. can you guess what happened to him? well lets just say he was no longer a member at our church.

the bible even says spirits and demons exist and not mess around with black arts. Hiding it is just stupid. if someone wants a spell to raise the dead and create an army they can find it (yes i have looked).

My dad who is one of the most righteous men i know used to read me stories of vampires, werewolves, spells, wizards, elves and so much more. They were stories to entertain.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=18364609]olaru12[/pos

American religious zealots are just as mis-guided as foreign religious zealots.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t
The point was not about what it is or is not, but that sometimes the pastors should think about what outlets that they can give children, rather than repress them. Children are not always going to do what the adults want them to do, they will find ways to try things out. Better to be honest and give them options rather than deny them and have the children decide to find out for themselves.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
this is a silly media story that will only harm Christians…

most of the posters on this thread do not seem to understand that media does influence how we develop and think and has been very biased against Jesus and Christians for a long time...

cloths we wear, words we use, thoughts we have about life, each other, ourselves…God...

Jesus's teachings of "love your enemies" and "love God and each other…" may not be easy to do, but most media we are exposing ourselves and our children to creates a reality that is increasingly enslaving and evil…

the Bible was banned from 500 AD to 1500 AD by occult vatican for a reason…MANY Christians died to bring us all the freedoms of thought and religion we now squander…read about the Reformation.

sad that so many pseudo-rebellious people do not see that the most radical thing anyone can do today is try to live by Jesus's teachings and read the Bible…

but you will all stand up and fight to save the media sanctioned Harry Potter-esque, even as it leads us to destruction.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   

spoken like someone who does not understand the nature of the spiritual struggle we are in…

name a religion, including Christianity, and you will be naming a man-made institution run by occultists…

the whole reason occultism is so pop right now is part of the initiation taking place by the NWO peeps…

it is anti-Christ… if there is one thing each of us should do is research if Jesus is who he said he is...

the truth is we are all imperfect and Jesus Christ offers all of humanity redemption…

Buddha never claimed to be God.

Moses never claimed to be Jehovah.

Mohammed never claimed to be Allah.

Yet Jesus Christ claimed to be the true and living God.

Buddha simply said, 'I am a teacher in search of the truth.'

Jesus said, 'I am the Truth.'

Confucius said, 'I never claimed to be holy.'

Jesus said, 'Who convicts me of sin?'

Mohammed said, 'Unless God throws his cloak of mercy over me, I have no hope.'

Jesus said, 'Unless you believe in me, you will die in your sins.'"

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
yt: The Bible Is True! ~ The New Evidence That Demands A Verdict
www.youtube.com...
yt: Walter Veith (13) Battle of the Bibles /Total Onslaught
www.youtube.com...
youtube: The Resurrection Argument That Changed a Generation of Scholars - Gary Habermas at UCSB youtu.be...
yt: The Forbidden Book - History of The English Bible (Documentary Film)
www.youtube.com...
yt: A Lamp In The Dark:untold history of Bible ~ Full Film
www.youtube.com...

yt: Caesar's Messiah Debunked - Joseph Atwill's Covert Messiah Refuted
www.youtube.com...

yt: Jesus: Evidence, ancient historical sources

Part I: Evidence of the existence of Jesus Christ by Simon Greenleaf, the Royal Professor of Law at Harvard University. Dr. Greenleaf was one of the greatest legal minds that ever lived. He wrote the famous legal volume entitled, A Treatise on the Law of Evidence, considered by many the greatest legal volume ever written. Dr. Simon Greenleaf believed the Resurrection of Jesus Christ was a hoax. And he determined, once and for all, to expose the "myth" of the Resurrection. After thoroughly examining the evidence for the resurrection — Dr. Greenleaf came to the exact opposite conclusion! He wrote a book entitled, An Examination of the Testimony of the Four Evangelists by the Rules of Evidence Administered in the Courts of Justice. In which he emphatically stated: 
"it was IMPOSSIBLE that the apostles could have persisted in affirming the truths they had narrated, had not JESUS CHRIST ACTUALLY RISEN FROM THE DEAD, . . ."
(Simon Greenleaf, An Examination of the Testimony of the Four Evangelists by the Rules of Evidence Administered in the Courts of Justice, p.29).

Part II examines evidence from the non-biblical sources of nineteen pagan writers that refer to Jesus Christ of the first century such as Tacitus, Suetonius, Pliny the Younger. Also doucmented by Flavius Josephus, the greatest historian of the Jews.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 06:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: sdcigarpig
a reply to: Krazysh0t
The point was not about what it is or is not, but that sometimes the pastors should think about what outlets that they can give children, rather than repress them. Children are not always going to do what the adults want them to do, they will find ways to try things out. Better to be honest and give them options rather than deny them and have the children decide to find out for themselves.

I know. I agree. That was a joke you were responding to (even though it's technically true).

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Verum1quaere

spoken like someone who does not understand the nature of the spiritual struggle we are in…

Really? That is what you get from what I said? Pitiful. I understand the nature of spiritual warfare all to well, and I know for damn sure that one does not fight it by banning books from the Library. Utter and total twaddle. One fights spiritual war by being in the world, and not of it, by being able to tolerate absolutely anything you see and hear, but not be destroyed by it. One fights spiritual war, by living in a corrupt world, and having enough faith to suffer it without outward dismay, NOT by spreading bigotry and intolerance in an already bigoted and intolerant society!

As for the rest of the things you said, you need to learn that preaching to the converted is a wasteful enterprise.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
19 "Yet she multiplied her harlotries, remembering the days of her youth, when she played the harlot in the land of Egypt. 20 "She lusted after their paramours, whose flesh is like the flesh of donkeys and whose issue is like the issue of horses. 21 "Thus you longed for the lewdness of your youth, when the Egyptians handled your bosom because of the breasts of your youth."
-Ezekiel 23:19-21

.....just sayin'

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Verum1quaere

All propaganda. Some of us recognize that Christianity has a disbelief system attached to it for it to work. IE, trick people into agreeing the book is true without providing evidence. If I stayed within the pages of Harry Potter, I could do the same thing and convince people Voldemort will come back soon too.

It does not match the scientific facts of our reality anymore. Matching science, is also part of infallibility according to my old fundamentalist "pastors".

The world is not flat. It is older than 12000 years. A mustard seed, is not the smallest seed. Waters above, do not make the sky blue, and their is no dome over earth. Nor can you say, the early church was simply wrong about science, because the holy spirit was to teach you all things. All things means exactly that.

The book itself, is fiction.

Take the best from it, like love thy neighbor as thyself, and Paul's dissertation of love. Leave the rest behind.
edit on 4-9-2014 by Not Authorized because: (no reason given)

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join