It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kid comes out of the closet, family reverts to acting like animals.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: violet
I just want to reapond because I am sick of the hate this generates.

This video is an indication of the hatred, fear and judgment that exists in religious thought, not the cause. You are, clearly, an exception to the rule... in the minority. That's great. But the majority of Christians and fundamentalists finds "the gay lifestyle" to be unacceptable. The fear has already been spread by them.

Among born-again Christians:

27% said gay lifestyles are acceptable
66% said they were unacceptable.

Among fundamentalist and other evangelical Christians:

95% said that homosexuality is unacceptable.
2% called it an acceptable lifestyle
3% were undecided.

Source

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
the majority of Christians and fundamentalists finds "the gay lifestyle" to be unacceptable.

If you factor out the fundamentalists and evangelicals, the numbers get somewhat better. Still not acceptable numbers, of course, but at least they are better. The pope has come out in favor of civil unions and has said 'who am I to judge'. He won't be able to change the RCC laws, they are in stone. But the hearts and attitudes most of the Catholics I know do not reflect what is the law on the church books. My guess is that 3/4 of the Catholics I know have no problem with marriage equality and they are educated enough to understand what homosexuality really is ... that it's NOT demonic forces at work.

Advocate.com

Nearly three-quarters of religiously unaffiliated Americans (73 percent) favor allowing gay and lesbian couples to legally marry, as do majorities of Jewish Americans (83 percent), white mainline Protestants (62 percent), white Catholics (58 percent) and Hispanic Catholics (56 percent), according to a poll whose results were released Wednesday by the Public Religion Research Institute in Washington, D.C. However, 59% of black Protestants and 69% of white evangelicals oppose same-sex marriage.

More than half of American Catholics support marriage equality.
Washington Post - Catholics Still Lead the Way on Gay Marriage

Like I said, the numbers aren't where they should be, but they are coming up.
It's painfully slow, but the numbers are improving. At least for Catholics they are.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 8/31/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
I still think this whole fad of airing your dirty laundry with as many people as you possibly can is sick.

If I were a young gay kid and my parents kicked me out and I saw this video, I might take some comfort in knowing that I'm not alone. Lots of gay kids would rather kill themselves than come out to their parents. Some actually do. If this video shows some gay kids somewhere that "it could be worse", I think it's worth having it out there.

I'm no fan of Facebook, et al, but if people in distress can make connections and learn from them, I can't say too much wrong about it.

I do appreciate the movement that encourages gay kids to hang in there, because as they grow up, It Gets Better. If the ridiculous behavior in the OP video was a rare occurrence, there'd be no need for such a site.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

I think you're right. I hope you're right. People who find homosexuality so extremely objectionable are a "dying breed", but it seems they're more vocal than all the majority combined. I think their vocal objections are a form of "extinction burst" as I described here.

I really like this pope! I hope people take his message of compassion and non-judgment to heart.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I know some religious people who will never accept it. I also know religious people who accepted it. They didn't agree with it, but they didn't disown their kid either. This family in the vid have underlying issues. They do not represent most Christians that I've ever known, and trust me, I live in one of the most religious diverse places in America. But the thing is, the gay people that I've known lived normal lives because they didn't go around shouting that they are gay and demanding that people accept it. They know that many won't accept it, so they choose to keep their sexual preferences to themselves. Some do bring their partners around, as well, and they usually become part of the family, again, as long as they aren't loud-mouthed lispy(joke) nutjobs. This seems like an attempt to broad stroke all Christians as backwoods ignorant rednecks BLAH BLAH BLAH . whatever. And trust me, I do not like religion of any kind. I do not like to be put in the position to defend them, but again, this is stereo-typing.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: QuestioningAuthority
a reply to: ItzShadyT

wow, way to jump to assumptions and show your ignorance of what you say you don't believe in. I never said he was possessed by demons. To spell out the obvious what I was alluding to was the whisperings of the devil.

Stay away form the 'A grade' stuff it may help you to not jump to erroneous assumptions up there on your podium.

Alright, my bad. So what you ARE saying is that just because someones sexual preference is different, that automatically means that the devil is whispering in their ear to do so. Because that makes a lot more sense. Maybe you should look at yourself in the mirror before you want to call some one ignorant. Especially if your views are based on religion.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: HolgerTheDane2
I did not know for sure. Her older sister would mention it sometimes.
I thought she would tell me when she felt comfortable. I left it at that. In hindsight yes I might have brought it up myself. However I'm not psychic. She knows perfectly well I do not disapprove.
How was I supposed to know about this Christian issue attached to it? I didn't. I see this mostly on ats. You want us to be accepting of gays but can't be accepting of someone who believes in God. That was my point here.

edit on 31-8-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

ETA
I should add, I in fact thought my son was gay, he isn't. I had asked him to come forward with it. So my daughter knew perfectly well of my opinions. My other daughter kept saying "do you know you have a gay child?" . I would say yes I do, thinking it was him. He had many gay friends and brought then over often. So this topic was out in the open. I was not ever saying do not bring them here, I hate gays. None of that.

I also have a very Christian caregiver who works for me and she has not talked badly of gays, ever.
edit on 31-8-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Anyways, the video is a bad example to use. Clearly these people are not nice to their child. There are parents who disown their kids for other reasons, teen pregnancy, or not getting a job, drug addict etc. it's just how they are. My nephew is a drug addict. His father has disowned him. My father has threatened it, but did not mean it.

Only hindsight have I learnt more about this. I would never disown my child. They would have to do something truly awful for that to happen.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
The way I see it is that if you hate your child because they are gay, it's not a gay problem. It's a family problem.
If you automatically hate your kid because they are gay you never loved your kid to begin with.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
i was talking to a buddy the other day, and he told me that his mom tells him "if i ever find out your gay, you just need never come around here again". as it turns out, he does like men. a lot. although he isnt averse to women. still, he'd been mentioning off and on about me meetin his mother and i said flat out no. if thats the kind of person she is, no way. ill probably get him in trouble while giving her a piece of my mind. goodness.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
My late teen son is into girls, but from our first discussions about sex and sexuality I always told him that some people are attracted to people of the same sex and if he ever was I'd be a safe person to talk to who wouldn't be fazed about it.
He knows he can call me if any trauma is going on in his life, with no angry reaction, even if he's made some bad mistake, criminal or otherwise...it's my job to help fix things first and help him learn/grow into whatever he wants to be so long as he is harming no other.

Disowning my son for living a moral life but having a different version of [edit, consenting] attraction to me? Wow, I can't imagine anything so primitive, and I feel sorry for all those children of bigots who are in torment about their sexuality with no safe parent to talk to...a couple of my sons mates are too scared to talk to their parents because of their expected reaction, and it makes me #ing angry for them.
edit on 31-8-2014 by grainofsand because: Typo, classic to/too mistake

edit on 31-8-2014 by grainofsand because: Added 'consenting' to avoid pathetic bestiality/paedo arguments

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Nechash

you keep telling yourself that, when the reality is we know even in this 'no sacrifice no gain', but I must say that is one of the lamest excuses ive heard to follow your desires, so all the best with that

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

no it isn't, but carry on

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
You would think in 2014 this wouldn't go on so much.

I find it deplorable that anyone's parents would react like this.

If my daughter came out to me I would assume she was already scared, unsure of herself, and feeling a bit isolated.
Why anyone would treat a child with anything but compassion in a time like that is beyond me.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Meh, I couldn't care less who my daughter falls in love with.

So long as she's happy, content, respected, and loved... that's all that matters to me.

Gender, race, creed, colour, social status, etc are all meaningless and trivial in the grand scheme of things.

The fact of the matter is: We all bleed the same stuff when you slice us open.

Anyone who can't come to the acceptance of that very basic reality, is carrying the weight of the world on their shoulders unnecessarily. The blind ignorance of others is not something to be angry about, it's something to be pitied.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: violet

It sucks that so many christians give the others a very bad name.

Not all muslims are terrorists.

Not all christians hate gays.

But you know what I mean...

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   

a reply to: BasementWarriorKryptonite

1.Demons, instinct, and fleshly desires, as I said we are not animals, you cant convince a religious person that they are animals, that's part of the evolution dogma.

We are animals. We are living, breathing, chemically affected animals. We get hungry, we eat. We get tired, we sleep. We are animals, indeed... What sort of education.. oh wait, religion.. I forgot..

2.Tell that to GOD when you meet HIM, see how you go with that.

I will punch the arrogant swine in the face. Oh but I would do that now, why wont he come down and meet me? You know why? Because he doesn't exist. Your all mighty god, who directs you to hate other living breathing human animals, IS A FIGMENT.

The voices in your head tell you things...

3.Ahem, NO, we aren't to be unconditionally "supportive as possible", if your son comes out a mass murderer, or a serial rapist, etc, etc, I wont support that the same as I wont support anything that I judge to be clearly against GOD's WORD. so more fairy land wishes there.

So you equate loving someone the same as being a mass murderer and serial rapist?

And you think GOD is good, if he tells you that they are bad? For loving someone?

You're pathetic. thank the sun I do not believe in your fairy tale god. what a miserable and abhorrent creature he would be, if he did exist. To twist your mind so absolutely, you are either very weak minded or simply looking for justification for your own miserable hate.

disgusting...

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   
a reply to: GogoVicMorrow

I tell ya, Vic, this kid did his homework. I looked into it a bit, and my guess is that the whole event was premeditated.

Let's just say there's no going back now. His gayness is bought, and paid for.

Seems there's a trend in the gay community, to set up funds, surprise, for being 'gay'.

But ya gotta do it just right. The vocals in that vid…I'd pay just to not have heard them, especially the gay howling. I discern ruse, and deception. But who cares. Money talks.

And I don't think there's as much sympathy for swingers, you know, the LGBT set, those who were 'born' to swing from both poles. Because it's a little hard to garner the old 'if two people love each other' schtick when you just want to widen the bedposts for pleasure.

Yeah, the parents suck. But so do the parents who practically praise their kids for 'having the guts to talk to them'. Big whoop. Oh boy, my kid talks to us, even about the edgy stuff. Ain't we great parents? Yes, humans can communicate. Animals do this as well. Congratulations. Then, it's off to the game. No sense trying to broaden the kid's perspective, especially when they can't.

This guy is going to have fun fun fun, until he realizes how hollow life is when his proud badge of courage is just another fraying patch, a sad label that he willingly affixed to his forehead, a tattoo that he thought would make him more eligible, and attractive, except that it often manifests in one who has to announce that they're gay, wherever possible. How special.

I guess the powers are really quite mad about keeping lists, after all, and I hope we don't regret it anytime soon, because they seem to remember things we forget. That is part of what comprises power, after all. One never expects anything from a person who forgets everything, for better or worse. But the powers never forget. I dare say they set up this little shindig. It really is a triumph of cultural assimilation- to have persons parading around the streets with hard-ons, all excited about their being rejected, categorized, and finally, accepted. Can anything possibly be more important?

It's pretty hard to punch God in the face, when you can't see God. Nobody has anything to worry about. Enjoy yourselves.

# 266

edit on 1-9-2014 by TheWhiteKnight because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 03:02 AM
link   
he got 100 k for that crap? really?

And he didnt even have to get beaten up, or shot or anything... theres disabled people that dont get 100k! He got 100k for being gay!

Oh wow!

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 05:07 AM
link   

"GOD judges, you don't" ?

Tell that to any judge around the world, you're clearly living in a fairy land. You say don't judge then go on to judge the parents, you've been blinded by fairy land.

GOD is the BEST of judges, and is the FINAL JUDGE, but people have to judge all the time, right or wrong, it must be done, and when it's your own son well yes you have more than a right to judge when you spend about 18 years of your life trying to keep them safe.

Most parents, and pretty much all religious parents are not going to be happy if their son gives into demons who are telling him he's gay, we are not animals, we should not do everything on instincts and fleshly desires.

Clearly in Christianity, Islam and Judaism, and almost every other religion GOD is against humans taking part in same sex relations.

All the best to the parents having to deal with what most parents fear and what this screwed up society tries to make room for.

How can you say anyone lives in a fairy world when your sat there preaching about an invisible man??? PULL YOUR HEAD OUT YOUR ARSE mate!! nothing wrong with gays, id much prefer more gays than more of you self righteous religious breathing hypocrites. pray tell, where is your god????? world full of nutters im tellin ya

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join