It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows 7/boot failure/new os install/ help?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I have 2 computers (laptops) 1 with windows 8.1 and the others with windows 7 Ultimate. I removed my 2 sticks of 4 gig RAM from the windows 7 computer, (now referred to as 7 computer) and replaced another 4 Gig ram stick in the place of the other 2 matching sticks I removed. Now windows 7 blue screens while booting at the windows loading screen. I am not replacing the RAM back into the 7 computer.
I know its not an Issue with the RAM, at least I am pretty sure. All options of loading windows have failed. I.E. Safe mode, Last know config, etc. Still crashes at load up.

So I have few options left...... I need to reinstall windows, Preferably putting 7 back on, however just getting the computer running is the end game. So my limited options are as follows; I have a 1 gig USB stick. and an 8 gig Micro USB I can use to transfer data/O.S. I can D.L. a torrent for the O.S. seeing as how I legally own both my copies So I am trying to figure what my next step to be.

I HAVE NO BLANK CD'S/ROMS/ETC. No original windows disk or anything that easy. thoughts?

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   
If the pc in question originally came with win7 you may be in luck.

How to factory reset will give you an idea. If you scroll down it gives you different ways by manufacturer.

Another thing you can try is using YUMI boot to install hirens boot cd and make a bootable USB to troubleshoot. It will run a mini windows xp environment.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: I1Am1Ready1Are1You

Has it been updated recently? MS had an update where a lot of people got the BSOD: Micr osoft urges customers to uninstall 'Blue Screen of Death' update

Within hours of its release, however, users reported that MS14-045 had generated a Stop 0x50 error on some systems, mostly on Windows 7 PCs running the 64-bit version of the OS.

I believe the article should have links that lead you to possible solutions.

Also, time to switch to Linux

edit on 8/30/2014 by AllSourceIntel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Ever heard of "Repair" ? You might want to google that

It did work for me when swaping a hdd with 7 ult from one pc to another (totally different ram,cpu etc..) so for your new set of ram "only"..a piece of cake.And no i did not lose data
edit on 30-8-2014 by TheMasterOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Do you have more than one hard drive? Double check the bios to make sure its booting to the correct drive.

Other than that, i would look in to the obvious before pursuing other causes. Double check the bios and see if it shows the ram properly. Remove one of the RAM chips and try booting with just 4gb, then put it back and remove the other. If it only boots when one of the chips is removed, you have found your culprit.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Have you gone into bios at startup and looked to see if your new ram configuration is set correctly?

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Microsoft's Digital River ISO's are safer and always more preferable than torrents.

Also Microsoft has a tool that lets you install Windows 7 from a USB stick:

www.microsoftstore.com...

Digital River is Microsoft's service provider for e-commerce. Basically every product that Microsoft sells in their online stores worldwide is delivered via the Digital River servers. You'll find the full list of all available Windows 7 disk images here, in many languages, both with and without SP1 integrated, both 32 and 64 bit versions.

Whereas there are already a lot of websites providing download links to Windows 7 RTM DVD ISO images, the links for the updated versions that have an integrated Service Pack 1 are brand new. The advantage of the new images is an up to date Windows installation right after the initial setup, without the need to download and install hundreds of updates afterwards. If you just need the downloads, you can scroll down. If you need further information, please read on here.

Are these illegal, cracked or pirated downloads?

Digtal River provides these downloads via Microsoft Azure. Since this is an official download channel, you can be sure to receive setup files that are virus-free, secure, legitimate and untouched. Downloading the files from Digital River is absolutely legal and completely free of charge. Without a legally obtained product key however, any Windows 7 installation will only run for 30 days. Afterwards, it needs to be activated, or the evaluation timer be reset.

Windows 7 Direct Download ISO Images from Digital River

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
It sounds simple and dumb, but double check to see if your new RAM is seated properly.

I had a similar issue and after 3 days of pulling my hair, that was my culprit. Even though it clicked in and appeared seated, one of my banks were not seated properly.

Also make sure the new RAM speed is compatible with your motherboard.
edit on 8 30 2014 by SgtHamsandwich because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Thanks guys for the imput, no the laptop has a single hard-drive, and yes I double checked the RAM both physicaly (seated) (I have make that mistake before) and internally. Microsoft "tech support" was a joke. I knew more off hand than the rep that fumbled through pages looking to answer my questions. I cannot afford ANYTHING to fix this problem, but I will jump through hoops all day long to fix it.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

I've been repairing computers long enough to know that if your Windows 7 computer worked before you replaced the RAM, then your issue is with the new RAM stick you put in.

If you can, post what type of motherboard you have, along with the type of new RAM stick you are trying to use. Most motherboards only allow up to a certain amount of RAM per slot. Not to mention if the RAM stick you bought was overclocked and your motherboard doesn't support the speed of the RAM.

Also, if you could write down and post here what it says on the Blue Screen. Most error codes can be looked up to give you an idea of what's causing the Blue Screen.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_

ok blue screen error changed when I tried switching the Ram into slot 2 from slot 1 and this is what it reads.

*** STOP: 0X0000007E (0XFFFFFFFFC0000005,0XFFFFF88001196DB6,0XFFFFF880009A8F78,0XFFFFF880009A8D0)
*** ACPI.sys - Address FFFFF88001196db6 base at FFFFF88001189000, datestamp 4ce79294

the RAM came out of a brand new computer. both laptops are TOSHIBA model number is C655-s5128
(upgrades from stock include 500 gig HDD and 8 gigs of RAM.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   

try the simple stuff first.

Bios to factory defaults....reboot twice.

take out the battery....little one inside too and wait a couple minutes.....ect

Check the ram on another machine if possible.

windows start up repair....see if your boot rec is still ok, if not rebuild it at command prompt through recovery options. check if your OS is still on the same drive letter, check file system integrity through recovery command prompt...ect..

If none of the little stuff works, then sure re-install. dont wipe it though. Just make a separate partition. Take out the drive, clone it on another machine and drive....then install your new OS on your main HD with a separate partition you can just copy all your files too if you cant install so as to keep an .old folder.

edit on 8 30 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   
new RAM reads SAMSUNG 4GB 1RX8 PC3L 12800S-11-12-B4

MODEL NUMBER M471B5173QH0-YK0

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
BIOS reads 4096 total mem size.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

tried windows start up repair. same result...... windows Diag. really did a number, displaying a frozen screen of VGA lines and colors.... hardware related? HDD graphics card?

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   

it might be worth a try, if you can plug it into a monitor. I dont think this is the issue. Its more than likely a bios issue.

I would reset to factory defaults and take it from there.

Also as other s mentioned. Check the speed of the ram and what is compatible for your machine. I dont know if you did or got the right information. Just double check if you already did.

If the ram worked on the same exact machine then you may have a simple option ticked in your bios that the other machine didnt or vice versa.

edit on 8 30 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: I1Am1Ready1Are1You
new RAM reads SAMSUNG 4GB 1RX8 PC3L 12800S-11-12-B4

MODEL NUMBER M471B5173QH0-YK0

In bios what is it set at??

If bios is set to your old ram config that will cause problems such as you described.

In bios try setting it at the lowest xmp profile and see if it will boot.
edit on 30-8-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
It sounds like you replaced only one stick, if this is the case make sure it is in the correct slot. Try moving to the other ram slot. On another note 4GB is only enough ram if you are running 32-bit. If you are running 64-bit and depending on your cpu you should consider running more ram and replace with two identical ram sticks.

reply to: I1Am1Ready1Are1You

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: I1Am1Ready1Are1You
BIOS reads 4096 total mem size.

Is that with both sticks in???

If so then it is only reading one stick.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ThoughtIsMadness
yeah Its a x64, and the machine came stock with 4 gigs of Ram. BTW I am still looking into all of the possible solutions giving above. thanks fella's and keep 'em coming

top topics

<<   2 >>

join