It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Time has Come...Every Cop in America Must Wear a Camera

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

The problem here in the states is that even when they are caught on film and clearly in the wrong, no one does a damn thing to them.

edit on 27-8-2014 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75
If true then that would indicate corruption is so great even the cop-cameras will be pointless.
People can't pick and choose which 'authority' cameras they may or may not trust.
I see no difference between a cop wearing a camera choosing to physically approach someone to investigate, and a cop choosing to zoom in on a person while monitoring an 'authority' CCTV street system. Do you?

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   

We don't want to give up any Freedoms.

It's seems to me the only people losing anything is the Cop.

The Cops are losing the trust of the People they serve.

Seems a pole mounted camera won't follow you in a pursuit.

Just put them on Police. It's working here.

I never thought I would advocate this. I don't have all the answers.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
That would be great!
No more "eye witness" testimony.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere
I see where you're coming from, but we all lost our right to walk a street without being filmed by anyone at the time of the first invention of movie cameras.
If the objection is solely due to being filmed by 'authority' then a cop-camera is doing exactly that.
I presume you are not able to refuse being filmed by cops so you lose the same 'freedom' as an authority CCTV zone being monitored by a police officer watching a screen.
The only difference I can see is that the cop is not physically present at the scene.

As I said, I support cop-cameras due to the obvious common brutality of your cops, but you cannot escape the fact that crying about CCTV then becomes redundant if you are begging for cop-cameras...or maybe you can?

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Not only wear a camera, but also stream their arrests live online! That would keep them all honest all the time, every time!!

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Chrisfishenstein
Stream arrests online?!
Lol, I've heard it all now, you live in a nation that sees CCTV as a loss of freedom, then wish to violate any privacy of a citizen who is innocent before guilty by broadcasting their arrest on the net...wow.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Well, if you follow the rules you don't need to worry about your face on tv....

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   

True, corruption runs deep here, but bodycams would go a long way to changing that. CCTV systems would make the corruption even worse. In the wrong hands CCTV will lead to a totalitarian nightmare.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein

Well, if you follow the rules you don't need to worry about your face on tv....

Same argument for CCTV, do you agree or disagree?
A camera under the control of the police is a camera under the control of the police, either worn on the person or operated remotely to monitor a public place. I see no difference but I do see US citizens arguments against CCTV as rather silly if y'all are begging for cop-cameras now.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
What is this totalitarian nightmare you speak of?
I myself, and a few mates of mine have had charges dismissed against us because CCTV evidence in the public street showed we were not guilty of any crime...even though the police believed us to be guilty, the camera showed a different story.
Same benefit as with your cop-cameras, please feel free to explain the difference you may see?

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Instead of spending $millions and $millions on cameras and equipment how about they spend some money on training for these untrained cops.

Let's face it, most of these cops using unnecessary force or unusual tactics are the younger / inexperienced ones. Let them fund extensive training on human diversity, human psychology, situational weapon response and just basic common sense.

I also support imposing extensive psychological testing and background vetting for all potential officers prior to hiring on the force.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Not only loosing trust from the public but TV film crews as well

It doesn't get worse than this....

I would laugh if it was funny....

Wonder how long our forefathers would put up with this kind of Red Coat Action back in the day.....

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I think the camera ideas time has come. That being said I have an issue with a officer having to second guess themselves when a split second decision is needed. As well with the 2 types of ammo idea, this will enevitably cause more officer deaths I think. I do not have the answer to that issue.

I strongly believe that if we put cameras on our police force there needs to be a automatic mandatory extremely tough penalty for any tampering with the camera or the recorded data or any colusion to do so between any private individuals or law enforcement types who are not approved to do so.

I know first hand the problem we face with our law enforcement in this country. I think it needs to be well thought out to protect everyone involved. We are just human and we make mistakes, cops as well. We need higher standards and higher pay for higher quality people protecting us.

TAW

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   

I agree. It is time for that. Technology exists for this to happen, quite easily now.

Consider it a time out, until trust is restored.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
I myself, and a few mates of mine have had charges dismissed against us because CCTV evidence in the public street showed we were not guilty of any crime...even though the police believed us to be guilty, the camera showed a different story.
Same benefit as with your cop-cameras, please feel free to explain the difference you may see?

Well, thanks for keeping us honest.

Truth is we already have a massive video camera presence in America.

We need some clear rules.

What it's done here is cause everybody to think. Especially the Cops.

The drop in Police Brutality complaints is down 88%... That's staggering.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I agree that all cops must wear a cam from here on out. That way, when they have to shoot some thug trash they won't be able to spin it around and use it as a excuse to loot and burn down everything in sight. Cops/cities have to protect themselves. Also, bad cops would be caught.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Totally agree with the expected drop in brutality because we had the same results here in the UK, although I can only speak anecdotaly as I have not looked into the figures.
In the UK in a city/town centre street if the police interact with you then you can be sure it is being watched by the CCTV team (evidence both ways), then if you are unfortunate enough to be arrested there are cameras in the patrol car, the custody reception of the police station, the cell they throw you in, and also the interview.

Back in the day it was common to have an unrecorded cell visit then get held by a few cops as you got punched in the stomach until you were sick, aside from a few bruises, very little to show it had happened. I experienced it twice, was not pleasant and I didn't even bother to complain, such was the lack of evidence to support my case.

Since cameras 'everywhere' the cops have totally changed their attitude, and are generally absolutely professional in execution of their role...they were forced to, because of CCTV.
Cop-cameras provide the same benefits, it Is why I do not see any difference to CCTV aside from the obvious that the officer is watching a screen and not at the physical location.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

According to our constitution, it is the duty of every American citizen to reign in our government if they get out of hand. Well they are out of hand and we're almost to the point where there is absolutely nothing we can do about it.
Being under constant surveillance insures that no substantial opposition will ever rise up to challenge the crooks running the show.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I am surprised I am agreeing. This is needed now and the public must have some kind of access. we have the technology and it will right many wrongs both for the public and the officers. no false arrests,illegal search and seizure,unlawful use of force or false claims of police brutality.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join