It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jon Stewart Nails It on Ferguson, Race and Media

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme

And can you imagine what would happen if there was an area or intersection that wasn't safe for blacks or any other color for that matter? I don't even have to say what would happen if that were the case.

And to be honest, the most racism I've ever heard in my life was from black people. Try attending a predominantly black college and being called "Boy" or having urine thrown on your door because you're white. And guess what, not one consequence.

Racism is most certainly tolerated in this society but usually it isn't from whites. It can't be denied. Be the only white person in a room and you'll agree with me.

Tired of the double standards. Hypocritical stances. I don't look at black people in any light other than human and equals but it is definitely hard when you know you'll be the butt of every joke because you're "a white boy". Tolerance is a two-way street, everybody has to look both ways.

Star and a virtual handshake!

I've tried to judge new acquaintances by how they treat those around them and I DO try always bear in mind how someone else might feel in groups where they are in the minority. It is a source of genuine sadness for me to see how much ground we've lost in the last 40 years. Before the term "meme" had even been coined, I saw the birth of the meme "Blacks can't be racist". Now we have a couple of generations that have grown up accepting that premiss. That hasn't done much to help bring us together as a country.

As far as the Stewart clip, he got a laugh out of me. I just wish more people would take the time to consider the flip side of things.

Stewart says, "Just try living it!"

I'm very surprised that nobody has caught the irony of being white in relation to the Michael Brown case... When it first hit the news, an unarmed black boy was killed by a white officer. Then somebody pointed out that even the Associated Press was violating their own guidelines because anyone 18 years or older was to be referred to as a man or a woman.

So now referring to him as a black boy would make a white racist.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

How could they be playing up the race angle before they could officially confirm the identity of the shooter? Of course, that little obstacle didn't even slow them down.

It's called institutional racism and *gasp* even BLACK officers can be guilty of playing their part. Think it through.

In this country, 99.99999% of black people (don't forget there was that one former slave that owned slaves of his own) prior to the Civil War were slaves. After that, they spent the next century in segregation, denied access to most of the benefits conferred by a society whose wealthy agrarian economy was historically dependent on SLAVE LABOR. Unpaid slaves became lowly paid servants with virtually no access to the tools that make upward social mobility possible. A people that had to fight against a system that didn't want to grant them their freedom only to face the backlash of a still largely racist society angry when they'd succeeded. Do you think the Civil Rights Act of 1964 wasn't reviled by whites, particularly in the south, from DAY 1?

How long do you think it takes to integrate a universally exploited and oppressed people into a society that is only begrudgingly transitioning forward? With attempts at establishing an equal economic footing decried as "reverse racism" and the convenient escalation of the "War on Drugs" which has been demonstrated to disproportionately affect not just blacks, but the poor in general?

Try looking at it in purely pragmatic terms. What else should we have expected to happen given the course of history? The magic wealth fairy to fill their non-existent bank accounts? Think about that. If a prosecutor suppresses evidence and a man is unjustly convicted of a crime and spends his most productive years in prison, do we release him, telling him how lucky he should be that the system that robbed him has seen fit to correct the error, and then toss him into a ghetto and tell him, "you're free now, fend for yourself!" ?
edit on 2014-8-27 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

A bit of history....

And for a time, free black people could even “own” the services of white indentured servants in Virginia as well. Free blacks owned slaves in Boston by 1724 and in Connecticut by 1783; by 1790, 48 black people in Maryland owned 143 slaves. One particularly notorious black Maryland farmer named Nat Butler “regularly purchased and sold Negroes for the Southern trade,” Halliburton wrote.

Did Black People Own Slaves?

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

From your source:

Of these, 3,776 free Negroes owned 12,907 slaves, out of a total of 2,009,043 slaves owned in the entire United States, so the numbers of slaves owned by black people.

OMG BY 1830 AS MANY AS .6% OF SLAVES WERE OWNED BY BLACK SLAVE OWNERS!

Also from your source:

So why did these free black people own these slaves?

It is reasonable to assume that the 42 percent of the free black slave owners who owned just one slave probably owned a family member to protect that person, as did many of the other black slave owners who owned only slightly larger numbers of slaves.

So what does that take us down to? .3%, .2%, .1%?

You wouldn't be trying to deceive people would you? Maybe just add a little spin to detract from the truth?

EDIT:

It's obviously working! 5 stars already! Can't mind rape the willing I guess.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   

I beg your pardon.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

I beg your pardon.

You're a smart person. You read a lot (of right-wing sources, but whatever) — what's the end game for right-wing identity politics? It might garner votes in the short term, but what's the long term goal and what do you think the consequences will be?

Honest question.

What do you think pointing out that a fraction of a percent of black slaves were owned by black slave masters and used for forced labor proves? In any population there are those sociopaths who have no regard for human misery.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

You are one very indoctrinated individual. Look up the history of the word racism. I'll give you a start, it didn't exist until the 1920s, and it was created specifically as a weapon to divide a society (two white populations).

"Institutionalized racism" is a term that has been pushed hard over the last 10 years or so by those in power to keep us divided. By accepting it instead of looking into the facts behind why things are the way they are, it perpetuates the problem. Institutionalized racism by its very definition did actually exist, but it does not today. The use of it today as though it were still in place is an attempt to further divide us by drawing a line along race (perpetuating racism and its use as a political weapon), and stripping responsibility of one sector of society based on race, and placing it in the hands of another sector that has little to do with it anymore.

Considering this term hasn't been around very long I'm assuming you're quite young. Probably college or a touch older. I implore you to look into it. I think you'll find, as I did, that you are/I was painfully wrong.

You have quite a ways to go down the rabbit hole. I didn't like what I found, but I'm glad to know it.
edit on 27-8-2014 by Galvatron because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Wrong forum to debait politics.

Catch ya next time.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Ah yes, that evil European influence strikes again. But then why aren't all the other continents a wasteland of tribal warfare, pestilence and disease? What's so special about Africa? If the Europeans are such an unstoppable force, how has anyone managed to survive their onslaught? It seems like there's always an excuse and that excuse is The White Man.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I stopped respecting Jon Stewart during the election. He is very non-partial, except at election time, where he swings totally left. I hated it. It was sick to see him pretend to support Obama during election time, and hate him the rest of the time. No respect of JS

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Galvatron

I'm familiar with identity politics and its historical usage but if you have something compelling that I'm unfamiliar with, by all means share — I'm open to new ideas.

Everyone thinks that they're right and semantics is an ineffective tool for teasing out the truth of anything.

Try stripping away the divisive politics and agendas and consider things in purely practical terms. How do you go about integrating into a society, a population that is starting from a hugely disadvantaged position? Do you imagine that doing so was/is met with universal popularity?

I think that it's you that must be indoctrinated as I once was. Just think of all the identity politics buzzwords like "reverse racism" (1966) and "white guilt" (1978) or reviving ones like "politically correct" (1990-91)? Look I can point out identity politics buzzwords too. Are you swayed?

Make an argument and stop trying to paint me as a tragically ignorant victim of propaganda if you're actually trying to illuminate some deeper truth.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

So are these... link to google image search

That would be a riot... just saying

LMAO, really? This little girl holding a sign is a rioter? Maybe if cuteness was actually dangerous that'd be the case but this picture is in that same line up of photos from the Ferguson protests. I guess the guy on his knees with his hands up while immersed in tear gas is also a rioter, too.

www.blogcdn.com...

I think I get it. If a white person is standing outside with a sign, that's called a protest. If a black person stands outside with a sign, that's called a riot.

Gotcha. I see nothing wrong with that...

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi
Yep....I'm not sure if John Leibowitz is for real or an agent. He just says too many of the right things. But did John talk about the white man who was beaten severely for eating at a waffle house in a predominately black neighborhood-Ferguson?

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
It's not like there's any inequality these days either! After all, it's not like black people are arrested for marijuana possession almost 4 times as frequently as whites despite almost identical rates of usage!

Oh boy, quoting arrest statistics. Well since you want to discuss statistics, let's talk REAL stats and REAL crime (not petty weed bull#).

Go here and educate yourself. 14.6% of the population (black people) kill more people than the 67% (white people). It also shouldn't shock you that black kids are leading the pack when it comes to body count either. And let's not even get in to how of that 14%, you should only look at those that are male, between 12-28, have no father and live in a metropolitan area.

Murder Victims by Race and Sex, 2012

Murder Offenders by Age, Sex, and Race, 2012

I assume that somehow whitey drove them to shooting each other?

So we have a disproportionally small group of people responsible for committing a ridiculously disproportionate number of murders and it honestly surprises/offends you and your fellow race baiters that they are then on the receiving end of increased scrutiny?

It's also infuriating, as the Europeans and UK just love to grandstand on the topic of the US's gun violence, but refuse to acknowledge the fact that we have a significant portion of the population that refuses to homogenize. If black people were only as bloodthirsty (or apparently the lack thereof) as white people, we would be on par with other 1st world nations in regards to murder per capita.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
As a person of color, it's pretty funny to read the comments by right wingers.

They assume just because it doesn't happen to them...it must be rare..

I have been stopped walking down the street late at night, all because I was Native. I walked to the store for a big gulp, and was stopped on my way home. They asked what I was doing out so late because it wasn't obvious to them even though I had a big gulp in my hand and walking away from 7-11. I have been pulled over a few times and never given a ticket. I was even pulled over as I was stopped at a red light..
I have been stopped as I have walked numerous times.

I have no criminal record. I have never been involved with anything remotely involving criminal activity, yet I get stopped, so the theory of the cops knowing me because of who I hang out with or what I had done prior ..thrown out the window.

I know how blacks feel in the US..because I go through it here in Canada.

Did you guys even here the last part about the employee and interviewee going into a building..studio employee who was white and dressed down..no stoppage...black guy in suit being interviewed...stopped. You right wingers hate it when facts are placed in front of you.

As for the comment about sending them back to Africa..well that can go two ways..if you send them back..can we send you back to Europe?

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Onslaught2996

I know how blacks feel in the US..because I go through it here in Canada.

That is all I needed to know.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   

stop trying to paint me as a tragically ignorant victim of propaganda

But you are. You haven't countered anything I've asserted about the word racism or institutional racism. I already gave you a start with my post. You saw it as meaningless buzzwords, hence my opening three words. I won't do all the work for you, and I can't.

Read about Trotsky and the creation of "racism" as a weapon to divide the Ukrainians in order to install Bolshevik rule. Read the book "Persistent Myths About The Afro-American Family" by Herbert Gutman. It goes on about how distinctly liberal policy both creates the environment (welfare society) of the current black community as well as spends resources trying to fight the symptoms of the environment they created. Those are good starting places. Welfare-ized communities in the US have been absolutely annihilated. Native American and Black American communities, soon to be Hispanic American communities. Interestingly Middle Eastern, East Asian, South Asian (Indian Paki etc), and other racial communities that haven't been welfare-ized do just fine and in fact thrive. Deny the welfare, deny the incentives by the left to systematically break apart the black family unit.

It will take some time, but I have a reading list for you, and for anyone reading this thread for that matter. At the end of it all you will be neither liberal or conservative, neither authoritarian or libertarian. You will have a solid 0,0 X,Y score of the political chart between the four sides respectively.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Lipton

I'm sure you think you've proven some sort of point using the same tired statistic that every right-wing race baiting Internet poster in the world drags out to prove the criminality of the black community. You're interpretation of statistics is clearly one of a superior and well-informed intellect:

If black people were only as bloodthirsty (or apparently the lack thereof) as white people, we would be on par with other 1st world nations in regards to murder per capita.

Aside from the fact that statistics are quite imperfect considering that roughly a 1/3 of the race is identified as "unknown," your math skills leave much to be desired. If we changed the number in the black column to 0, that would have leave 9050 murders. The US population in 2012 was about 312.8 million. That's a murder rate of 2.89 per 100,000 people as opposed to one of 4.66 per 100,000.

Here's the rates by country on Wikipedia

Notice that the US is 4.7 (4.66 rounded to the tenth) and the change with 0 in the black column would yield 2.89 (round that to 2.9) and that puts us far ahead of Germany (0.8, the UK (1.0), France (1.0), Australia (1.1), Canada (1.6), etc. In fact if you remove all other races and just compare the murder rate of White Americans to the rest of the world, you're wrong as that would be 2.18 per 100,000 or 2.2.

How about we try to get statistics that link murder rates and socioeconomic standing? Then we might get somewhere.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

How about we try to get statistics that link murder rates and socioeconomic standing? Then we might get somewhere.

Or how about this.....stop using your economic standing, and what happened to your great great great relatives to be your excuse for not only not succeeding in life, but turning to criminal activities to support yourself...

Nah...can't do that.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Here's the list. Read them for a critical understanding of why the world is the way it is. These books will cripple a liberal arts college education. I know they knocked my "gen-ed courses" into a cocked hat.

The politics of Aristotle: Aristotle
The Communist Manifesto: Karl Marx
Mein Kampf: Adolf Hitler
The Conscience of a Liberal: Paul Krugman
The Conscience of a Conservative: Barry Goldwater
1984: George Orwell
Brave New World: Aldous Huxley
Animal Farm: George Orwell
The Wealth of Nations: Adam Smith
The Prince: Niccolo Machiavelli
Intellectuals and Society: Thomas Sowell
Arguably: Christopher Hitchens
Atlas Shrugged: Ayn Rand
The Art of War: Sun Tze
The 48 Laws of Power: Robert Greene
Man, Economy, and State: Murray Rothbard
The Myth of the Rational Voter: Bryan Caplan
Utopia: Thomas Moore
Common Sense, The Rights of Man: Thomas Paine
The Road to Serfdom: F.A. Hayek
The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money: John Maynard Keynes
On Education: Jean Jaques
The Machinery of Freedom: David Friedman
Ethnonationalism - Walter Connor
Ethnic Conflicts Explained by Ethnic Nepotism: Tatu Vanhanen
Leviathan: Thomas Hobbes
The Culture of Critique: Kevin MacDonald
The Rights of Man: Thomas Paine
Das Kapital: Karl Marx
The Relativity of Wrong: Isaac Asimov
Economics in One Lesson: Henry Hazlitt
The Price of Inequality: Joseph Stiglitz
Propaganda: Edward Bernays
The Federalist Papers: Alexander Hamilton, James Madison, etc.

There are more that aren't sitting on my book shelf. I know I'm missing about a dozen.

Don't just read them and take what they say at face value. Compare them, find what fits, what works, what seems right. Disregard the expedient, the subjective, the supposition.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join