It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SAS and US special forces forming hunter killer unit to 'smash Islamic State'

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:36 AM
link   
a reply to: buntalanlucu

Rest assured SAS and other Special Ops will not be taken alive! They know better!

Pax

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 04:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: paxnatus
a reply to: buntalanlucu

Rest assured SAS and other Special Ops will not be taken alive! They know better!

Pax

well.. according to the story told by 'andy mcnabb' (pseudonym) , he and his friends was captured by iraqi military. also there's a SAS sergeant in mobile patrol who got ambushed by Iraqi and left behind by his friends, he was captured and treated medically and returned to the brits..

i dont think ISIS will treat any captured member of SAS / SEAL / DELTA with the same profesional courtesy..

do you remember the Delta snipers in mogadishu who got dragged by somali militia ?

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
If an operator is captured his best hope is being retrieved by friendlies within 24 to 48 hours or it's game over. It's a high risk game and that's the ultimate fear in situations like this. There will be plans drawn up for every kind of scenario and every man will know his actions on a man away but if someone does get taken it's a race against time. The exact same as when a kid goes missing, if they aren't found within 24 hours then the chances of finding them at all are very slim.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Andy (Stephen) mcnab is a lying arse and the laughing stock of not just his own regiment but most of the British army.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: sg1642

You should be aware that other members of the Bravo Two Zero unit ALSO wrote books on the subject. And a movie starring Sean Bean.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   
remember how the talibans treated the wounded french paratroopers when they got ambushed in uzbin ? they dragged the french wounded and executed them with knives and stripped their uniforms and weapons..

the same happened to the israeli commandoes that got ambushed in Ansiriya by hezbollah , at least the remaining pieces of the commandoes..

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   
i believe the US SF need to train a group that can speak the language and looks like ISIS members.

then sent them in as a ISIS unit.

if done right they could roll right into a town held by ISIS and take them out before ISIS knew what hit them.

South Africa and Rhodesia did this during there wars and in one case a Rhodesian unit marched out on a big training camp of terrorist and the terrorist had no idea until the Rhodesian unit opened up with machine guns and mowed them down.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Yep and only one of them them tried to tell a resemblance of the truth in his book. Chris Ryan and Andy Mcnab fabricated sheer lies for their own gain. They also tarnished the once solid reputation and legacy of a dead man who couldn't have his say. That is their biggest sin. You won't see any of them near Stirling lines because the regiment they once served with holds them in utter contempt.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Not to say you are lying but can you provide any links or information backing up what you have said in your last few comments. I'm just curious about the story

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThePeaceMaker
Not to say you are lying but can you provide any links or information backing up what you have said in your last few comments. I'm just curious about the story

basically they made out that a patrol member (Vince Phillips) got the patrol comprimised by a young boy hearding goats. They never directly came out and said it was his fault but the subtle finger of blame was pointed at him. Other parts of the books painted him as a bit of a wet character which he just wasn't. The patrol had already been seen by the boy's uncle before this. They wrote of attacks by a mechanized unit when in actual fact it was just the boy's uncle on his digger firing a friend or foe shot over their heads. The story they wrote in the books varied wildly from the story they gave in the debrief on returning to their unit.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I remember hearing about how vince's character in the film wasn't how he actually was and I think even his family were disgusted at how he was portrayed. I know that to a certain degree the film and the book wasn't exactly how the operation went. That being said though I was understood to believe that the story was changed just due to fact that the operation at the time was a behind enemy lines job and some of the information HAD to stay out the film and books

Do you know anywhere that I can find more of the true things that happened with bravo two zero or is it a case of just googling and reading. Were you not satisfied with Chris ryans story? Honest question there just wanted to hear your thoughts
cheers

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Vince Phillips had served with both the boat service and in the air service. I'm sure he had done a stint in both the royal marines and parachute regiment too. Four cap badges that are among some of the toughest and most able fighting forces on the planet. You tell me if you think he wasn't up to the job? He was also senior to mcnab. The original patrol commander took one look at the operation and said they needed vehicles and it was mcnab's decision to go in on foot. I don't find Ryan's version of events satisfying because they tarnished the name of a dead man who they had served with. You don't do that. Maybe in private you can criticise amongst people involved but you don't publicly slander a man you have served with. They made a scape goat out of him when it was a long series of bad decisions and blunders that led to the ultimate fate of that patrol, not because he supposedly got spotted by a goat heard. Ryan too spoke of taking out armoured vehicles and inflicting hundreds of casualties which is just boll**ks. There was a territorial SAS member who went to Iraq in the 90s and investigated the patrol if you want something to read about. It's called the real Bravo Two Zero I think.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Obviously there is information that can never be released but if that's the case then it's just omitted, not changed and exaggerated. The errors in planning are to an extent shocking. One of the first things you should do before departure is a comms check to ensure the radios work. That way you don't find out hundreds of kilometers behind enemy lines they don't work. That is a very basic thing that even the lowest of soldiers know. Prep for battle. Communications amongst other things. If it's not done you don't leave until it is. They were reading the maps wrong, thinking depression was elevation and vice versa. So all those areas where two land rovers could be hidden looked like high ground. It's a highly stressful job and mistakes are made. But don't pin the blame on a dead man.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   
thats why i refer to B2Z as example of screw-up in real battlefield by supposedly 'elite' troops.. and look at the fingerpointing and blaming that happened in the SAS leadership and their subordinates..

yet , so many uninformed and ignorant people always automatically think these 'elite' soldiers never made mistakes and always get their job done without casualties.. Didnt anyone remember the Desert One ? or the Son Tay Prison ? or the recent Barawe ST6 failure ? or the Elite of the Elite Israeli Naval Commandoes ambushed in Ansariya Lebanon with nearly 100% casualties KIA including it's commanding officer ?

if they underestimate these 'ISIS' guys , they will be the 1st to suffer as grizzly thropies for them..

if i recall , in libyan conflict, the libyan rebels surround and captured a team of SAS.. lucky for the SAS it is not Ghadaffi's troops that captured them..

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: buntalanlucu
thats why i refer to B2Z as example of screw-up in real battlefield by supposedly 'elite' troops.. and look at the fingerpointing and blaming that happened in the SAS leadership and their subordinates..

yet , so many uninformed and ignorant people always automatically think these 'elite' soldiers never made mistakes and always get their job done without casualties.. Didnt anyone remember the Desert One ? or the Son Tay Prison ? or the recent Barawe ST6 failure ? or the Elite of the Elite Israeli Naval Commandoes ambushed in Ansariya Lebanon with nearly 100% casualties KIA including it's commanding officer ?

if they underestimate these 'ISIS' guys , they will be the 1st to suffer as grizzly thropies for them..

if i recall , in libyan conflict, the libyan rebels surround and captured a team of SAS.. lucky for the SAS it is not Ghadaffi's troops that captured them..
exactly. People think special forces soldiers are invincible and they aren't. They are human beings. The make mistakes, they feel fear and they grow hungry and tired just like us. The main thing that sets them apart is their mental strength and lateral thinking. That doesn't mean that they can't be killed or captured hundreds of miles behind lines and vastly outnumbered. Bravo Two Zero is a perfect example of this. Highly trained and perhaps the best in the world at that time, they made schoolboy errors and paid the price far from home.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 03:26 AM
link   
a reply to: sg1642 thanks for your input mate when I get time maybe I'll dig a little deeper regarding B2Z. I was young when the gulf war started in 1991 but when the film came out in VHS I watched it so much as a youngster I wore the tape out. But I will take time in looking deeper
thanks again

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 05:53 AM
link   
No worries. They weren't the only patrol that ended up in sticky situations. But their patrol was the one that really went to rat s**t. Regardless of what happened and why, you can't take away their bravery and commitment. Mcnab (Stephen Mitchell) may have written more fiction than fact but for any man to become a sergeant in the Special Air Service, he has to be solid in mind and character. That on it's own is an achievement to be proud of.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Peeps

I posted a few days back about this story. I said they were trying to scare people. Well it appears to be working.

www.dailymail.co.uk... lict.html

I told you so!

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: glennellis23
Peeps

I posted a few days back about this story. I said they were trying to scare people. Well it appears to be working.

I told you so!
full of sympathy for them. Not. They were in a rush to go to war and can't stomach it. It's not nice to realise you have spent all your time fighting for a cause that thinks nothing of you and isn't a real cause but just a political game played for greed. For the crimes they have likely committed and the crimes the group they represent have committed, I've no sympathy and hope they are dropped like a bad habit.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: glennellis23
Peeps

I told you so!

Hahaha unlucky...

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join