It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: French Soldier Threatens to Blow Up Depot - Over 60 Tons Of Explosives

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Angry at being forced to retire, a French explosives expert has seized an Army depot containing 60 tons of explosives. He has threatened to detonate the explosives located about 60 miles east of Paris. About 400 villagers in the nearby area have been evacuated. Police and the mans family are trying to talk him into surrendering.

story.news.yahoo.com CONNANTRAY-VAUREFROY, France - A soldier, angry about being forced to retire, was holed up in an army depot with 60 tons of explosives Sunday, threatening to blow it up. About 400 residents were evacuated from nearby villages.

Explosives expert Regis Le Tohic, a 46-year-old warrant officer, seized control of the warehouse Saturday. He worked at the facility near the town of Fere-Champenoise, about 60 miles east of Paris, officials said.

"He works there, and knows how to set off the explosives, which is why we're taking this threat seriously," said Col. Patrick Chanliau, an army spokesman.

Under French law, a soldier holding the rank of warrant officer must retire at age 47. Le Tohic turns 47 on Dec. 17, Chanliau said.

He said officials found a letter outside the depot from Le Tohic demanding that the army reconsider his request for a promotion.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The French are having a bad week. First the relevation about missing explosives, now this. However, as I pointed out, this is hardly a problem unique to France. Who can forget the lunatic who stole a M-60 tank at a National Guard depot in San Diego and went on a rampage through downtown destroying everything in its path. I have to wonder how secure any of these place are world wide.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I recall one of the many predictions saying the Eiffel tower will blow up...maybe this is the cause...What a world!

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Anyone know what type of explosion this would cause? Is it anywhere close to the Eiffel Tower?

LL1

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Perhaps this is where the missing explosives went. He was an
explosives exerpt and had access to possibly the explosives.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Nah, according to the article its 60 miles away from Paris. 60 tons would do some damage, and the guy is an explosive expert. The question is, what type, and can he detonate them in a controlled fashon. Im not an expert mind you but I believe the term is a "high order detonation"

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Well, look at it this way. a 10 Kilaton nuclear explosion is basically the same as 10,000 tons of TNT. This guys sitting on 60 tons. At 60 miles from Paris, they might not even see the smoke. But the town, depending on it's proximity, could suffer some significant damage.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Well, Fred, whats to say he wont drive 60 miles hauling the stuff?

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

I would propose it a neat feat it he could load 60 tonnes on explosives onto a truck all by himself, hell he really does deserve a premotion if he can do that

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I stand corrected.

*blushes*

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

As said before, its alot of stuff, and no doubt he would be sniped as soon as he stuck his head out. 60 tons is alot of bang though. I wonder how he thinks this will get him reinstated? Maybe it will so he can serve his prison sentance in some Army penal colony.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 01:58 AM
link   
The standoff has ended peacefully in France.

PARIS - A French soldier who had locked himself in an explosives depot and threatened to blow it up turned himself in Monday, the Interior Ministry said, ending a three-day standoff that prompted the evacuation of hundreds of villagers in northeastern France.

Angered about being forced to retire, 46-year-old Regis Le Tohic on Friday seized control of the depot where he worked near the town of Fere-Champenoise, about 60 miles east of Paris. The warehouse contained 60 tons of explosives, mostly anti-tank mines.
Over

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Good thing this ended without a bang. Actually 60 tons is not much. Depends on what kind of explosives. Remember the fireworks-explosion in Denmark? About 2000 tons of fireworks exploded over 2-3 days in the beginning of November. 500 people are still homeless after this event.
Village Blown Up In Fireworks Explosion In Denmark (with pictures)

new topics

top topics

join