It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The path to Women's rights, better than equal rights?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: Annee

don't go all pc on me, I am a 50+ women who has grown used to the terminology that I've been using for the past 50+ years. sometimes it's a waste of time to teach an old dog new tricks. I would say that it would be best to let couples (regardless of their make up) find the way that best works out for them, without so much pressure from gov't, society, employers, and religions. all of which still seem to be trying to enforce the traditional roles onto them in one way or another.

And I'm just shy of 70.

Always ready to progress when new ideas present themselves.

It wasn't PC to present a gay marriage to look at when trying to place a woman in a traditional roll. It was just a "mirror" of sorts. What do you do when there is no woman?

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

well, where you really see the injustice is if the family falls apart and ends up in family court. far too often, the decision of custody and such isn't decided on what is best for the child. Many times, that father would be the better choice, especially when talking about older boys. and that safety net it seems, just doesn't help out the single fathers as much as the single mothers. and who in their right minds really think that shifting the kids back and forth from one home to another is in the kid's best interest?

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
and like I said, the same thing as we should be doing when there is one...
let the danged couple decide what is best for them instead of trying to force them into some preconceived notion of what is the perfect solution for everyone.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

Never said things were equal yet, or that these things don't happen. Trust me I know they do. But it helps no one to paint one gender exclusively as the bad guy.

Oh, I know. In one of my jobs I worked on the required gov affirmative action report. Trippy.

I'm one of those people who has to learn everything. I'd bug my co-workers to teach me their jobs (they thought I was nuts). I worked for 5 different companies. ALL of them either closed their doors or relocated taking only top management with them. Really sucked, as I'd have stayed with the company for life.

Anyway, so when the AA report had to be done, it was "get Annee" -- she does everything. LOL

After the report, we got marked down for not having an Asian woman in management. There was no one to promote from within. We had to go out, find one, and create a position for her -- in order to comply.

-----------------

It sucks that equality has to be forced, but it does. It's easier to see in Civil Rights. Stereotypes have to be broken.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Fathers get paternity leave too (sometimes they still have to fight for it). Some parents can switch their work hours around so one of them is always home. Some have the option of working from home (tough with kids), some are going back to extended families, a new trend is 2 couples buying a house together and sharing the responsibility, many daddy's stay home now.

Point is --- there are 2 parents (whether together or not). You're still making "the home" a woman's responsibility.

I am calling the home a "yin" part of life.

What I am pointing out is that in the current US culture, neither men nor women particularly want to work inside the home.

Working in the home is inferior to working outside it.
THAT is the part of our culture that we tend to take as a universal value, but it isn't. It is very particular to our culture.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluesma

originally posted by: Annee

Fathers get paternity leave too (sometimes they still have to fight for it). Some parents can switch their work hours around so one of them is always home. Some have the option of working from home (tough with kids), some are going back to extended families, a new trend is 2 couples buying a house together and sharing the responsibility, many daddy's stay home now.

Point is --- there are 2 parents (whether together or not). You're still making "the home" a woman's responsibility.

I am calling the home a "yin" part of life.

What I am pointing out is that in the current US culture, neither men nor women particularly want to work inside the home.

Working in the home is inferior to working outside it.
THAT is the part of our culture that we tend to take as a universal value, but it isn't. It is very particular to our culture.

I think that's more media sensationalism then reality.

The pendulum swings. What I'm seeing is a trend back toward the importance of family and home. But, now it's by choice. Not forced gender roles.

BTW -- I was a stay at home mom until I got divorced. He was jealous of his own children and it was beginning to affect them.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: sacgamer25

God created men, in his image he created both man and woman alike discrimination against women is not something that we are born into is was created by man in the names of their interpretation of religious believes.

Before religion women were venerated as the mothers of earth and humanity.

Until this day and time women are still victims of centuries of religious control.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join