It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking : Earthquake Rocks Northern California

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

fairfield is about 13.5 miles from the epicenter...I also know someone who lives in fairfield, left message on their cells, have not heard back yet, so, post when you get a hold of your brother...I read one response somewhere else that was from fairfield, they said the hanging plants were swinging and the water sloshed out of the pool.

any extra info is appreciated

edit on 24-8-2014 by research100 because: added a sentence

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Live coverage here:

WATCH ABC7 NEWS LIVE NOW

Now saying many of the injuries related to the cleanup...
edit on 24-8-2014 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Im in the area. I had just begun to fall asleep and was in the semi-conscious state. I began to hear loud rumbling and thought, this is an odd part of the movie. Then I realized the TV was off....and the whole house was shaking. Lasted anywhere between 10-20 seconds.

Looks like it was the Calaveras fault this time. Thing thats interesting is that the bulk of the volcanic sedimentary rock is in the north by the cascade regions, but right around the epicenter of this quake there appears to be a small patch of volcanic rock. Interesting.

www.geologycafe.com...

Question for those who experienced it: Did you feel the P wave, you know, the initial strong jolt? I was awake enough to have easily awaken from the P wave, but all I felt were very long rolling S waves, no primary.
edit on 24-8-2014 by 1Providence1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

thank you so much , this is helpful for those with family and friends in area.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gwampo
listening to KFBK right now, they're talking about the animals goin HAM right before the quake. Lots of barking

any solar flares reported?

I woke up startled about ten seconds before it hit (20 miles away), I am a light sleeper, maybe I heard the oncoming rumbling?

I found that to be really strange..

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I bet that guy on twitter who has been predicting earthquakes(and failing) for the past few years. Pissed his pants today.
edit on 24-8-2014 by Blahable because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greven
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

Geology can impact the perceived intensity of an earthquake - a M4 in one place might feel much stronger in another place.

For example, a few years ago in Oklahoma, we had a M5.6 earthquake. It was felt hundreds of miles away - as far as Tennessee and Wisconsin. A tall courthouse in St. Louis, Missouri shook enough from the earthquake that they recessed the trial and fled. St. Louis is 400mi away from the epicenter of that quake. The quake corresponded to VIII on the Modified Mercalli scale near the epicenter:

VIII. Destructive - Damage slight in structures of good design, considerable in normal buildings with a possible partial collapse. Damage great in poorly built structures. Brick buildings easily receive moderate to extremely heavy damage. Possible fall of chimneys, factory stacks, columns, monuments, walls, etc. Heavy furniture moved.

To relate an anecdotal account - one of my father's employees grew up in San Francisco and moved out to Oklahoma 20 years ago or so, and the M3.0-4.0 quakes we've been having lately have scared her.

Comparatively, it appears that, from reports for this much larger earthquake, the MMI might be slightly lower - topping out at VII from DYFI reports or maybe the same at VIII judging by damage reports.

Much of the region sits atop adobe clay. That type of soil tends to amplify the energy instead of absorbing it. The city I live in was completely leveled by the 1906 quake as a result of this. It is very fortunate that there weren't more injuries.
edit on 8/24/2014 by clay2 baraka because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blahable
I bet that guy on twitter who has been predicting earthquakes(and failing) for the past few years. Pissed his pants today.

Jim Berkland, the "rogue" geologist who predicts earthquake on Coast to Coast AM only lives about 15 miles from the epicenter..

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
It could also serve to shift pressure onto surrounding fault lines..

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
i'm about 100 miles south and was woken up by fast jolt, nothing out of the ordinary in this area
my sister lives near Napa and some of her stuff crashed to the floor and broke
her husband had to go to the office to deal with damage there
this wasnt the big one but big enough

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: clay2 baraka
It could also serve to shift pressure onto surrounding fault lines..

It could also allow a release of pressure from those fault lines, reducing the risk of larger and more damaging events, such as the long overdue "Big One".

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Up to 120 injured now.
Source LA Times
edit on 24-8-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I hear it was felt in Mountain View by some. My friend didn't feel it but a friend of hers was awoken and heard a loud crack

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Has anyone heard any news relevant to the little girl that was seriously injured by falling bricks from a fire place where she happened to be sleeping? I am very concerned about the poor lil one.

Also, a 7.0 earthquake just occurred in Peru. Seems like a lot going on in regards to shakers of late?

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
There has been a lot of ionospheric sky wave propagation on the citizen's band lately. Saturday it got intense and I was receiving signals from Mexico. Conditions Sunday morning were just as good and allowed me to listen to a couple of guys in Modesto talking about the structural damage to their homes. That was around 11:25am EST or 8:25 PST.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I felt the earthquake pretty good. I live in a tall building and it sway good, felt like a ship. It was a wild earthquake. I could not believe with all that shaking and rolling, it did not shake away my out of state visitor. I wanted to tell her welcome to CA. Nothing broke in my place and I am in SF, not too far from the epicenter.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Guys this is interesting, after the earthquake in california, now we just had an earthquake of 6.6 magnitude in ayacucho, PERU. could these 2 be related in some way? how often do 2 earthquakes happen in the same 24hours of this magnitude in 2 completely different sides of the equator???? very interesting...

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack
I am fine, I am in SF. The earthquake did not brake anything and everything was ok. It shook for a long time.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   
sorry guys forgot to add the link, peru.com... its in spanish but im sure you it gives you the option to translate. a reply to: Lotlatino

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

I was watching the youtubers that follow this stuff. They are saying that a couple of days ago, a M8 solar flare, followed by a Massive Coronal Mass Ejection (CME) was earth directed.

We were hit with the first of the CME yesterday, which they are saying caused the Peruvian and Napa quakes, and it will grow in intensity and strength over the next couple of days. They are expecting the pressure from the CME to cause more major Earthquakes, all around the ring of fire.

So, according to the youtubers, "Major Earthquake Warning in Effect over the next few days"

I dont want to argue weather they are qualified to know any of this, just passing along the info.

www.youtube.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join