It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking : Earthquake Rocks Northern California

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

Stay safe!

I was watching the news and a lady was talking on the phone when one of the aftershocks hit.
Sounds like there is a good amount of damage!

edit on 24-8-2014 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
oddly i think is was in the 80's there was a huge earthquake in LA and basicly everything fell down, highways, houses, everything but his house stayed up.

Because the house is so old even though its in a VERY expensive area he has to pay zero house tax, next door there are multimillion dollar houses with HUGE yearly taxes but because his house is so old he pays litterally nothing which is pretty cool.

So im not all that surprised he managed to survive

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
There isn't much news coverage on it yet. I wonder why?

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
the town of Napa got hit the hardest.
mobile homes destroyed by gas line fires.
old brick buildings downtown have damage.
some cars hit by falling bricks.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I got a daughter in Northern california . she lives in the modesto area and iv got close friends who live in the santa cruz area, and no im not flipping for no reason. i have cause to worry

wtvr.com...
edit on 24/8/14 by alysha.angel because: (no reason given)

www.komonews.com...

Vanessa DeGier, spokeswoman for Queen of the Valley hospital in Napa, says the facility has treated more than 70 people, most for cuts, bumps and bruises. She says the facility has treated a hip fracture and heart attack, but it's unclear if it was related to the 6.0-magnitude earthquake. The hospital has set up a triage tent and many people are still coming in, DeGier said.

edit on 24/8/14 by alysha.angel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: KaginD

CNN is talking more about it than ISIS now......

tune in , some great accounts so far

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
OH my God this was home where I was raised.... That shop was a rexall drug store when I grew up....

Time to get on the phone... shocked

SnF OP

time to start calling

All land line numbers I am trying to call are busy or are they just down..... Called brother in Reno who also cannot get through....

Wow this does not look good

AT Jenny Please any news you have please please post thanks and again thanks OP....

All friends and school buddies damn hope you are well its only property unless a love one is injured!!!

edit on 8/24/2014 by IceHappy because: Shocked and horror all phones numbers I am trying to reach are permanately engaged.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Wow, not a lot of chatter elsewhere about this one. I guess chalk it up to Sunday morning distractions?

Hope our members in the area are ok

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Gwampo
What is going HAM?

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I see a lot of people on twitter and the news describe it as bucking. The loma prieta was more of a rolling (shaking back and forth due to a rolling motion is how I would describe). These things are just too unpredictable, and while all bigger ones cause damage there are obviously differences in how the faults break/move/whatever. Until they know the exact behavior of the fault underneath it's impossible to know what to expect.

Relieved to hear no serious injuries or deaths.

It looks like a lot of old buildings in NAPA were damaged. Since these were built, building codes have been put into place for more earthquake proof structures (able to move with the quakes). I sort of hope they let them keep the integrity when they rebuild since these places are historic. A way to use brick safely? I hope they find one. If not - safe(r) is better than historic so some of these will be gone for good.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
My brother in law lives in Fairfield. A suburb of SFO. We haven't called them yet. Do you know if it's nearby the epicenter ? We're going to call in a bit. It's about 8 AM there. A bit early for a Sunday morning call. Especially if they got woken up in the middle of the night. a reply to: BuzzCory

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Santa Monica is hundreds of miles away from the SFO area. They are fine I'm sure. a reply to: Biigs

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
SFO is basically landfill in the bay. Severe shaking causes liquification. That's why quakes in that area can be so destructive.a In 1906 the land liquefied and wood frame houses just disintegrated.

a reply to: Aleister

edit on AM000000310000000883427312014-08-24T10:27:57-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

edit on AMu31u0883428312014-08-24T10:28:40-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
The mountains and the valleys began to tremble and shake
Children of the sun begin, to awake -Led Zepplin - Going To California

Those people are so used to it that many may have not even noticed it. lol

Hope all are A-Otay

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Sacramento checking in, slept through any shaking that could be felt. Sacramento's about 60 miles away from Napa.

Fortunately this happened when most people were in the comfort of their homes with family, where as the Loma Prieta quake happened around 5:00pm, people were out and about in various structures and seperated from family members.

Non the less a very sad Sunday morning for many in the Bay Area.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

No worries for Santa Monica, I am 40 min from there and 8 hrs away from where this quake was. We are So Cali this quake was Northern Cali. With that Being said So Cali is well over due for a huge shaker.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
That was North Ridge. In the same general area. North of LA by a good bit. That was bad and it was an 8 something. reply to: Biigs

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
It hit at 3:20 am out here, woke me right up. It was a long one.

The loma prieta quake back in 1989 was during the day, so experiencing this one during the wee hours of the night was different.

It felt like my bed was rolling down a hill. Very strange waking up to that. Earthquakes out here are usually much shorter, or at least since 1989.

~$heopleNation

edit on 24-8-2014 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

North Ridge was a 7.1 & maybe down sized much later.
I was there, the photos on the cover of the magazines
was on my block...it was very scary.

Cheers
Ektar

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join